Lockean-Man (Acquisitor [The Next to Be Banned])

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
General
1 Thada Adel, Acquisitor

Lands 35
10 Islands
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Ancient Tomb
1 City of Traitors
1 Crystal Vein
1 Svyelunite Temple
1 Saprazzan Skerry
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Dust Bowl
1 Rishadan Port 
1 Vesuva
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Halimar Depths 
1 Tolaria West
1 Academy Ruins
1 Riptide Laboratory
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Gemstone Caverns

Acceleration 8
1 Mana Crypt
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Diamond
1 Chrome Mox
1 Mox Opal
1 Mana Vault
1 Sol Ring
1 Grim Monolith

Island-WakaWaka 2
1 Aquitect's Will
1 Spreading Seas

Voltron 2
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Swiftfoot Boots

Tutors 11
1 Expedition Map
1 Personal Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Dizzy Spell
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Transmute Artifact
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Trinket Mage
1 Fabricate
1 Drift of Phantasms
1 Intuition

Manipulation 6
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Brainstorm
1 Scroll Rack
1 Impulse

Card Advantage 11
1 Mystic Remora
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Rystic Study
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Jace Beleren
1 Deep Analysis
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Tezzeret, the Seeker
1 Consecrated Sphinx

Countermagic 10
1 Pact of Negation
1 Remand
1 Counterspell
1 Mana Drain
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Thwart
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Misdirection
1 Force of Will
1 Commandeer

Utility 6
1 Pithing Needle
1 Voltaic Key
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Cunning Wish
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Repeal

Bombs 8
1 Mana Severence
1 Goblin Charbelcher
1 Rite of Replication
1 Bribery
1 Mindslaver
1 Time Spiral
1 Blatant Thievery
1 Karn Liberated 

WANTS:
1 Strategic Planning 

To everyone who has been waiting, this is my current iteration of Thada Adel.  

I am a man of my word.  I'm a Lockean man since the Erayo banning.

This list is still a little rough but as I play it and test it more, it should become a monster.

I think that with Erayo banned, Thada is be FAR the best general available and, as with Erayo, my goal from the outset is to get Thada banned.

As you can see, the deck has a ton of answers, solutions, threats, acceleration, and bombs but

the STAR of the Deck is Thada.

Different people pick their Generals for various reasons.

Some like the Generals for the art or the colors or whatever.

I like Thada for the same reason I liked Erayo:

She is unrepentantly broken and puts the opponent in a full court press as soon as the opening die roll.

Unlike Erayo, your opponent probably isn't too afraid from the outset of the match.

This is the wrong response.

Thada is an aggro deck.

Let me say this again, for those who didn't believe me or thought EDH aggro was an impossibility in a format with 40 life.

Thada is an AGGRO deck.

Where Erayo was linear (my favorite of all deck types), Thada can call audibles on the fly.

She will be unblockable.
She will be untargetable.
She will be accelerating you. 
She is always affordable.
She will give you selected card advantage each turn of every game.

You'll have more mana than your opponents and more cards while their singletons are stripped.

Sometimes, you just randomly Voltron and that's that.  Sure, I'll take that Sword of Feast and Famine.

GG Everyone.

WHOOOOOP, I'll just steal that Blightsteel and cast it with those Sol Rings I stole.   Oh, and give it those Boots/Greaves I stole.

Good luck getting in the game.

OH!

poor Bill =[

He was ahead all game.

Why did you have to piss me off and make me nab his Mind Slaver and crack it in his face?

When will he ever learn.

Thada Adel.

take 1.

You are the ruler of this format now.

Enjoy it.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Sakashima the Impostor cause two Thada is more dangerous than one.
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight
Could you autocard this?
Could you autocard this?

No, you play magic, you should all know what these cards do.  I mean we aren't random noobs who got here by accident.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Don't be an ass, ShardFenix.  Some people don't know all the cards, myself included.  Some of us haven't been playing as long as you.  Some of us really enjoy Thada Adel, Acquisitor and want to use her as a general, but don't know what we should be looking for, or why the cards work so well with her.  I for one feel that if the readers of the thread could see each card, they'd be able to make more meaningful critiques and comments.

Autocard.  It's not just for noobs anymore.

Rules Advisor

Don't be an ass, ShardFenix.  Some people don't know all the cards, myself included.  Some of us haven't been playing as long as you.  Some of us really enjoy Thada Adel, Acquisitor and want to use her as a general, but don't know what we should be looking for, or why the cards work so well with her.  I for one feel that if the readers of the thread could see each card, they'd be able to make more meaningful critiques and comments.

Autocard.  It's not just for noobs anymore.

Just as fair warning if Islands is who I think Islands used to be, then his response will be the same as mine just maybe worded a little nicer.  But I used to have his opinion in my signature. It basically boiled down to "Sorry for not autocarding, I expect Magic players to know what Magic cards do."(paraphrased of course)
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
While I feel that way in competetive forums, I'm more lax here.  There is all of MTG to work with; this isn't just a subset.

Nevertheless, I don't like to autocard on the first page, even here, because it interferes with some mobile browsers.

90 different linked cards can be quite the beating and as such, I'd prefer for the autocarded list to not be on the first page.

So, onto actual deck discussion everyone =D

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Maybe room for a Mind Over Matter in here with all that accel?

AND If Gush isn't banned you could run that instead of Mystic Remora, only because of it's limits and upkeep. 
Yeah if you just want this deck to be as broken as possible, Mind Over Matter is kind of hard to top in that regard.

How does Cunning Wish work for you?  Does you run a limited sideboard of wish targets, or do you only get cards out of your starting 99 that were exiled at some point, or do you just grab any card you want?  Does your playgroup have any kind of feelings about you using that card?
Yeah if you just want this deck to be as broken as possible, Mind Over Matter is kind of hard to top in that regard.

How does Cunning Wish work for you?  Does you run a limited sideboard of wish targets, or do you only get cards out of your starting 99 that were exiled at some point, or do you just grab any card you want?  Does your playgroup have any kind of feelings about you using that card?

We follow the official rules and thus use 10 card pre-boards.  As such, I can wish for anything from the preboard.

As good as MoM is, I'm not running any ways to abuse it.  It feels much worse as just an accelerant without Azami, Arcanis, or Bell.  I could run Bell and MoM, but I think that's shaky.

Malpheas: I cut Gush and it was sad.  Without Erayo, Gush, even a foil Gush, just isn't good enough in Mono Blue.  If I had Green also, I'm sure Gush would make the list.  Mystic Remora is one of the most busted draw engines in the format.  It's gross.
Show
I am really surprised that you arent running Chanceller of the Spire, since I see him possibly being the next banned card and all.
For your countermagic suite, I would add Hinder and Spell Crumple in order to permanently get rid of any spells or commanders (somewhat metagame depenant on whether or not you face a lot of commander-oriented strategies or decks with lots of recursion.  Also, I'd consider running the Jace, Memory Adept as an additional source of card advantage.  While weaker than the other 2, he has proven to be a good source of card advantage.  

I would also be inclined to suggest that you run some Eldrazi.  Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth can seal a game quickly, reshuffle your graveyard into your library, and a relavent effect even if they get counter, although if Blue and Bribery are rampant in your metagame, I would be inclinded to suggest against them.  

Also, Clone effects.  Phantasmal Image is quite good since it clones for 2 mana, and the drawback is less relevant than one might think in a format where most targeted spells would kill the image anyways.  Phyrexian Metamorph is often a 3 mana clone that can copy artifacts as well as creatures, and Rites of Replication is always a good card to have.   

Finally, I would recommend picking up a sword or two.  Fire and Ice provides significant card advantage, while Feast and Famine lets you tap out, then tap out again or just leave mana up to deal with any threats.  

As for cuts, I'm not sure how much I like Remand.  It's fine, but all it really does is buy you a turn.  I'm not sure how well it works out for you, but you may want to try replacing it with a different counter, like the ones mentioned above or Dismiss.  Ponder and Preordain also seem slightly underwhelming.   Also, mindslaver is kind of meh unless you have some way to combo out with it.  Just my thoughts.  

Since her ability triggers when she deals combat damage, have you considered giving her Double Strike? Fireshrieker or Grappling Hook maybe?

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
This isn't aggro, it's combo.  You're just combo'ing off other people's cards during the first game, then combo'ing off their stupidity the next.
DOLZero: I'll try him out.

Regal: Probably should run Crumple and Hinder.  

I like Eldrazi, but I HATE Bribery and it is ubiquitous in my meta.  

How good is Jace 3 in EDH actually?

I have Rite for Clone Effects.  I could play more, but honestly, I don't think I could support them.  If clone effects are very profitable, the game isn't going how I want it to.

I very likely will add a Feast and Famine.  Finding a foil will be a pain.

Ponder and Preordain are absolutely broken.  Cutting them is never the right decision in this format.

I like Remand, but I'll likely cut it.

Dismiss seems like a worse Cryptic which didn't make the current cut in my countersuite.

Mindslaver is bananas and I win often with Mindslaver lock.

LMTRK: Double-strike seems very good, but I don't know if I need it.  I'll happily steal an opponent's, but I think it is win more.  If Thada is online, I'm winning: period.

Alzabo:  Just because a deck has combo components does not mean it is a combo deck.  This IS an aggro deck.  Ideally, I'm swinging out on turn 2-3.  People rarely even make relevant plays until turn four in this format.  Don't be mistaken.  You are the aggro.

Show
I may be new to the format, but it seems like Whispersilk Cloak would be an excellent equipment for Thada decks. If you've tested it and found it less than satisfactory, please explain why. Also while I understand how great Ponder and Preordain are in a 60 card format, are they really that relevant in EDH? I mean they're obviously amazing just based on what they do vs. their cost, but as far as their place in the deck, I don't know if the sifting effect is truly that worth it. Maybe they work in your deck strictly because of how cost-efficient they are, I don't know. Since you find them so impressive, maybe you could explain why, and also if you believe they belong in every blue EDH, or work strictly for yours?
I'm new to the forums, and would really appreciate help on any of my deck lists, as those who live near me and play Magic is a small pool to draw from. I play EDH and Standard, and enjoy both Sealed and Draft in Limited. Wort EDH In standard I play U/w Delver/Illusions.
I may be new to the format, but it seems like Whispersilk Cloak would be an excellent equipment for Thada decks. If you've tested it and found it less than satisfactory, please explain why. Also while I understand how great Ponder and Preordain are in a 60 card format, are they really that relevant in EDH? I mean they're obviously amazing just based on what they do vs. their cost, but as far as their place in the deck, I don't know if the sifting effect is truly that worth it. Maybe they work in your deck strictly because of how cost-efficient they are, I don't know. Since you find them so impressive, maybe you could explain why, and also if you believe they belong in every blue EDH, or work strictly for yours?

Ponder and preordain are amazing in EDH because drawing them allows you to pick what card you would like to have. For the mere cost of 1 mana, you can ensure that you draw the most helpful card among the top 3 of your deck. It's good for mana fixing early game, digging when you need an answer, and provide you with information for what you will draw that allows you to make optimal decisions on your turns. It definately deserves a slot in any blue deck, EDH ones included.

I don't post much anymore. 

Sakashima the Impostor cause two Thada is more dangerous than one.

Made this suggestion right before the thread went on it's temporary tangent. You hadn't commented on it, so i figured you didn't see it.
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight
Malpheas: I cut Gush and it was sad.  Without Erayo, Gush, even a foil Gush, just isn't good enough in Mono Blue.  If I had Green also, I'm sure Gush would make the list.  Mystic Remora is one of the most busted draw engines in the format.  It's gross.

Remora IS good.  I understand that, but I despise the upkeep and the scope of the card itself.  There has to be a better use of a card than remora in this deck.  I figure after the effort has been made, you're going to get about the same amount of cards for either choice.

Not to be argumentative, but I would test with gush and remora swap to see.  Either that or swap Remora with Standstill...

As well, why not use the counterbalance suite?  Works well, the only thing you cannot do is search for it.

Have you thought of sapphire medallion for mana reducing.
By the time the upkeep on remorra becomes uncomfortablen you've already gotten some great value from it. It's seen play in vintage, I'll take that to mean it's a strong enough draw engine for EDH. And it gets nutty-good in multiplayer.

@sakashima: not good because it's win-more. If you've got thada in play and untap, you're already winning. Your focus now should be on protecting thada with counters and playing the bomb artifacts she's acquiring, not increasing your already game-winning board presence.

@whispersilk cloak: it costs too much mana for what it does. And thada usually is already unblockable (blue is the format's most heavily-played color). If he isn't, cards like spreading seas do the job for less mana, and cantrip to boot. Shroud is meh. It fails to protect against a lot of thing (board wipes, edicts, moat, etc)...just spend the mana you would have spent equiping thada to instead counterspell whatever answer your opponent tries to play.

@sapphire medallion: too slow. It can't accelerate thada into play earlier than it could be played anyhow, it doesn't help play the artifacts you're stealing, and many of the blue cards in this deck don't have any colorless in the mana cost. Honestly sky diamond would proobably be better here, and it's nowhere near making the cut.

I did expect to see hall of the bandit lord in here, any reason for its exclusion?
So... tell me how we actually win the game again

also phyrexian metamorph 

Alzabo:  Just because a deck has combo components does not mean it is a combo deck.  This IS an aggro deck.  Ideally, I'm swinging out on turn 2-3.  People rarely even make relevant plays until turn four in this format.  Don't be mistaken.  You are the aggro.

Its aggro in 1v1. There is no way that this deck could be considered aggro in multiplayer. You're never going to be able to consistently kill a table with damage from your commander or other creatures, without some sort of lockout shenanigans.  

3DH4LIF3