10/11/2011 SF: "Lunch: A Gathering for Magic"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
It appears that Adam left out part of the description in Game 1.  Specifically, one of the images shows a Trepanation Blade (which could have been used to mill Craig's last card, if it were still around), but Adam doesn't mention what happened to it.  Also, there's no explanation of how Somberwald Spider ended up with exactly one counter on it.
Really enjoyed this article!

Cheers!

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
It appears that Adam left out part of the description in Game 1.  Specifically, one of the images shows a Trepanation Blade (which could have been used to mill Craig's last card, if it were still around), but Adam doesn't mention what happened to it.  Also, there's no explanation of how Somberwald Spider ended up with exactly one counter on it.

I can clarify these two questions for you.

1. After seeing he had just one card left, Craig used Naturalize on the Blade. If he hadn't had it, I would have had the game. :-)

2. I was actually in the process of cleaning up the game ("scoop phase") when I realized I wanted a shot of all the trickiness used to kill the Spider. I accidentally left a die on it when I put the Spider back down - no actual +1/+1 counter was involved. Sorry for any confusion!

I hope that clarifies how Craig got there! 
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
Pardon the potentially stupid question here, but isn't it possible for one player to end up with more cards than the other? I am trying to puzzle out the math, and I keep coming to the conclusion that it is possible for one deck to have more cards. Amirong?
Pardon the potentially stupid question here, but isn't it possible for one player to end up with more cards than the other? I am trying to puzzle out the math, and I keep coming to the conclusion that it is possible for one deck to have more cards. Amirong?

It's absolutely possible! In fact, there have been drafts where one player has just bearly enough playable cards (usually very strong) and the other has many more to choose from (but lower in overall power).

Choose to draft a larger "value pile" with a selection of potentially playable cards or a smaller "power pile" that has a very strong card or two is usually a tough decision. You can see some of this back-and-forth tussle of playables versus power throughout the picks Craig and I made.
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
I save all my packs now for 2-player drafts.  We switch it up between Winston and Winchester now.  Some of my friends prefer one or the other.  I like both.

We also like doing the progressive mini-master: open one pack add land and play; add another pack, play again; add another and so on.

Another thing we do is after playing a few two-player drafts and aquiring a pile of new cards, we sort all the cards by color.  One player chooses a color and takes all those cards.  The next player chooses two colors, and then the first player picks one more color.  Then we draft the artifacts and make 60-card decks from the cards of the two colors we chose.

All great ways to get more mileage out of unopened packs!
Thanks, that was a good read!

The last draft photo with all four picks together was a little confusing at first.  It might be worth splitting that up into four photos, just for clarity.

I was holding my breath when the final creatures with transform landed in the same pile together. With two copies of Moonmist I was sure to play one.

...or not. 

That lunch had too much meat on it. Wink

Great article!
Senior Editor, Columnist, Nerd Enthusiast TheCrossandtheController.com
I think with Winchester, it sometimes turns into a guessing game, especially when you are somewhat familiar with your opponent. It also has a hint of chess, in that you need to anticipate your next two moves rather than just focusing on the immediate pick. As a side note, getting more cards doesn't always translate into more creatures either.

C.

• Cast Geistflame on the Spider (1 damage dealt).

• Cast Past in Flames to give instants and sorceries in his graveyard flashback.

• Cast Geistflame on the Spider again, for just Red Mana instead of 3 ManaRed Mana (2 damage dealt). 

I'm not sure I understand why Craig bothered with the Past in Flames. Since Geistflame has a flashback cost of  3 ManaRed Mana , couldn't he just have used the mana he spent on Past in Flames to flashback the Geistflame instead? Or was the Prey Upon he cast afterwards also in his graveyard already?

• Cast Geistflame on the Spider (1 damage dealt).

• Cast Past in Flames to give instants and sorceries in his graveyard flashback.

• Cast Geistflame on the Spider again, for just Red Mana instead of 3 Mana (2 damage dealt). 

I'm not sure I understand why Craig bothered with the Past in Flames. Since Geistflame has a flashback cost of  Red Mana , couldn't he just have used the mana he spent on Past in Flames to flashback the Geistflame instead? Or was the Prey Upon he cast afterwards also in his graveyard already?

The picture with Craig's swollen graveyard shows off the freshly milled Prey Upon.  If it was from his hand, then you'd definitely be right.

Great article, Adam.  Fun little draft reports like this are pretty cool.
That's true, I didn't realize that it had been shown earlier. Thanks for pointing it out. 

How did the double-faced cards factor into your Winchester? I really like the format, but I'm worried that seeing a werewolf (or Bloodline Keeper!) on top of a stack or in a shuffle will inform my decision more than I'd like it to.

If it was fun for you guys even with knowing a double-faced was coming up in a pile, then I guess I'll just roll with it .