10/11/2011 LI: "The Tricks of the Trade: Innistrad Edition"

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
The article reads like Steve doesn't know Spare from Evil gives all your creatures protection from non-Human creatures, rather than just Humans.

That may not be the case, but if it's not he has had a lot more Human-centric board states than I have.
"There is no way to give a creature trample at instant speed"

Ahem... Mayhaps you forgot about Kessig Wolf Run?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
The article seemed to be focused more on combat tricks.  The Wolf Run will always be right there on the board instead of being a surprise, which is what I assume he meant. 
An excellent article. Thank you !

Hidden information implied =p
EDIT: What kcostell said >.>

That's not a combat trick. You can clearly see the land in play. You don't need to wonder if your opponent can change the math or not.

Though, it does make it harder to predict what they'll do with mana open, wolf's run, and cards in hand. 

The article reads like Steve doesn't know Spare from Evil gives all your creatures protection from non-Human creatures, rather than just Humans. 

I don't think  that's what he meant. If you're playing white in innistrad limited, then you're likely playing humans. It's the only source of synergy you can find.  You may also be playing a token deck, but again, most of them will be spirits, probably paired with blue.

P.S. Has anyone ever ran into urgent exorcism in limited? I never play it, nor have I ever played against it.  There's just always something better to maindeck or SB.
P.S. Has anyone ever ran into urgent exorcism in limited? I never play it, nor have I ever played against it.  There's just always something better to maindeck or SB.

Against the black curse (backed up by the witch), and against white or blue decks that have a bomby one (including the 3/3 uncommons) + multiple aura removal (bonds, claustro, sensory)

Look here:
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

One of the undefeated decks had it main, and Nico Bohny used it to destroy a Curse of Death's Hold out of the sideboard.

Great article. I see myself putting together a similar "cheat sheet" for any limited format I want to do well in.

Great article. I see myself putting together a similar "cheat sheet" for any limited format I want to do well in.

Looks like you won't have to.

Thanks!

This is my first Tricks of the Trade article, but I plan to write one for every set from now on.

All the best,
Steve 

There'll be one waiting for you for every set from now on. 
I'm confused why Gnaw to the Bone is a no-no - I run a green self milling deck and Gnaw is one of the stronger cards in it. Maybe that's in regards to hyper-aggresive green decks?
I'm confused why Gnaw to the Bone is a no-no - I run a green self milling deck and Gnaw is one of the stronger cards in it. Maybe that's in regards to hyper-aggresive green decks?

What cards do you play and what do you play against?
Great article, thank you! One difference between decent players and good players is that decent players may know not to play into tricks in the abstract, but good players will know exactly what tricks the opponent is representing. This article presented the information well, both explaining what different board states would suggest different tricks, and also how to play around those tricks. Thank you again for this!

What cards do you play and what do you play against?

Well I've designed my deck to: 

-Put things in the graveyard, powering up other things
-Have anti-"hex"/flying/enchantment/artifact cards
-Survive

Just to give a little background, I'm casual but thinking of going to local FMN. That being said, unless I'm lucky I can't add crazy cards like Garruk or anything. Since I'm in school, games are pretty sporadic except for the weekend - and I was having trouble with a blue, pure milling deck that I built a red burn deck to counter.

Plains*3(Can luckily get these or caravan vigil them for my foxes)
Forest*20

Hex-control

Witchbane Orb*1
Lumberknot*2
Mask of Avacyn*3
Ranger's Guile*4

Enchantment/Artifact control

Silverchase Fox*2
Bramblecrush*4
Naturalize*4

Flying Control

Somberwald Spider*3
One-Eyed Scarecrow*2
Cobbled Wings*2
Spidery Grasp*3

Other(Essential)

Boneyard Wurm*2
Wreath of Geists*2
Splinterfright*1
Caravan Vigil*4
Ambush Viper*2
Mulch*2
Gnaw to the Bone*4

Nonessential(But still in there!)

Mayor of Avabruck*1
Moldgraf Monstrosity*1
Creepy Doll*1
Prey Upon*2

feedback is appreaciated!

This was an excellent article.  Even for those of us who actively look for things like this, the organization is excellent and I agree with your opinions on most of the cards.

@Raisinbman: I'm not even going to start on your decklist, I'd be here all night.  Just the 2 main points.  1. Since this article was on limited, it is meant to apply to decks in Draft or Sealed format.  That means that some of the opinions listed are incorrect or irrelevant when you consider constructed decks.  2.  Gnaw to the Bone only works well when you have many creatures in your deck, but by itself it takes up a slot that could have been creatures instead.  This is called reverse synergy and is something you want to avoid whenever possible.(Life gain is generally weaker than a similar amount of damage as well, only the very best life gain cards have ever made a difference in any format).
feedback is appreaciated!

Well, first of all, do you use a sideboard? There are a number of cards in your deck that are only useful against specific decks, so they shouldn't be maindeck.
Witchbane Orb is only useful against curses or decks that target you a lot (like direct damage). Naturalize is worthless if your opponent isn't playing any artifacts or enchantments (as opposed to Bramblecrush who always has a target, even if it's just a land, and Silverchase Fox who can always attack/block). Gnaw to the Bone can be strong, but only against agressive decks. If you're playing against a pure mill deck it's worthless because your life total doesn't matter if your library is empty. Those 3 cards are better as sideboard cards.

Also, do you want to keep it Innistrad-only? If you want to play Standard/FNM eventually you can add M12 and Scars block cards to improve the deck. Viridian Emissary for example would be fantastic. You can use it instead of Caravan Vigil to search for land, it counts as a creature in the graveyard, and the best part is that it enables morbid. You attack with it, and your opponent either takes damage or kills it, at which point you get both a land and a huge Somberwald Spider. (no Hollowhenge Scavenger btw? That one is better than Gnaw to the Bone a lot of the time) Another card you could look for is Elixir of Immortality, which helps a lot against mill and damage alike.

You also talk about 'putting things in the graveyard', but I only see 3 cards for that, 1 Splinterfright and 2 Mulch, so you might want to have more Mulch. You seem to have way too few creatures overall to power up Boneyard Wurm&friends.

This was in reguards to limited.
No love for the Ambush Viper?
It can be fairly effective creature removal for non flying creatures.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah my deck isn't perfect but I'm working with what I've got, at least for right now. And although I'm not deadset in keeping it to Innistrad(I've been eying Adaptive Automaton for my Vampire deck), that's what my group is doing for the most part so I'd like to stick to that, though that Viridian Em is a great card.

Hollowhenge Scavenger is better than Gnaw to the Bone - noted. Now I just need to go back in time and untrade my 2 Scavengers T-T.

Also, I don't keep a strict 'sideboard' because I'm just doing casual matches, but will do so if I ever do anything more formal - personally, I've gotten alot of use out of Naturalize.

Yeah my deck doesn't really do what it's supposed to(at least not yet), but that's the plan! If only I could use my Druid Lyricists...
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah my deck isn't perfect but I'm working with what I've got, at least for right now. And although I'm not deadset in keeping it to Innistrad(I've been eying Adaptive Automaton for my Vampire deck), that's what my group is doing for the most part so I'd like to stick to that, though that Viridian Em is a great card.

Hollowhenge Scavenger is better than Gnaw to the Bone - noted. Now I just need to go back in time and untrade my 2 Scavengers T-T.

Also, I don't keep a strict 'sideboard' because I'm just doing casual matches, but will do so if I ever do anything more formal - personally, I've gotten alot of use out of Naturalize.

Yeah my deck doesn't really do what it's supposed to(at least not yet), but that's the plan! If only I could use my Druid Lyricists...

Well if you want to keep it block constructed, I'd say you could go in two ways with the deck. One would be to focus on 'creatures in graveyard' with Boneyard Wurm, Wreath of Geists, Splinterfright, Gnaw to the Bone. For this deck, you want to cut as much noncreatures and play as much creatures as possible. You have a whopping 35 noncreature nonland cards, meaning the majority of your graveyard will always be noncreatures, making those cards less effective. If you want to focus on this, maybe blue as second color would work for things like Armored Skaab, Civilized Scholar and Forbidden Alchemy. It could definitely use a black splash for the flashback cost of the previous card and/or Spider Spawning which fits your theme.

The problem with the graveyard-counting theme is that it is a linear mechanic (www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... for an old MaRo article) meaning you either want to commit 100% or 0% to it. Every card you add to the deck that isn't a creature weakens all the cards with the mechanic.

The other way you could go with the deck would be to cut all the graveyard-counting cards instead and make a more controlling deck that has answers to any threat from your opponent.

If Naturalize is useful against the majority of decks you face, it's good. =) For such cards, it's how often they sit in your hand without a target that determines their worth.
How is Spare From Evil a card for tribal decks?
tyfs
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Sign In to post comments