Turbofog: The Rebirthening

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Many of you should be familiar with the structure of the classic Turbofog deck. It is composed of multiple fogs, a way to recur fogs, board sweepers, howling mine effects, and ivory mask effects.

The cards:

Fogs:
Show

Fog: The classic, the one, the only, the fog.
Blunt the Assault: Expensive, but gains you life as well as fogging.
Moonmist: Unless Werewolves.dec is an actual competitive deck, this will have very few negative repercussions.
Stonehorn Dignitary: Turns off the combat step for a turn, unless you can bounce it....

Honorable Mentions:
Ghostly Possession: Creates either an unkillable blocker, or negates an opponent's creature

Howling Mine Effects:
Sadly, there aren't very many of these effects in standard currently. So far, there is all of one: Rites of Flourishing
However, with Neo-flare and Burning Vengeance decks dumping everything into the graveyard and doing insane amounts of draw, this deck should be able to have good matchups against them. We can also add in Curse of the Bloody Tome to speed things up.

Recursion:
Noxious Revival: The best of the bunch, it costs you no mana to recur Fog.
Elixir of Immortality: Gains you life, and shuffles everything back into your deck.

Ivory Masks:
We have one, but it is great: Witchbane Orb

Sweepers:
The best of the ones we have available: Day of Judgment

So here is a preliminary deck

Any cards I missed?
Just out of curiosity, whats your wincon? Swinging with 4 stonehorns? Im not trying to be rude, I just don't see it.. I mean it's possible to loose to the stone horn venser trap, but what about RDW and there punches to the face? I run Wolf Runs Red deck and its a bomb, I am really keen to make a venser deck because I think he's awesome so I'd give this deck a go but I just don't see how you win? 
Needs Jace Memeory Adept.

The wincon is the Stonehorn/Venser lock and waiting for them to deck themselves.

Just out of curiosity, whats your wincon? Swinging with 4 stonehorns? Im not trying to be rude, I just don't see it.. I mean it's possible to loose to the stone horn venser trap, but what about RDW and there punches to the face? I run Wolf Runs Red deck and its a bomb, I am really keen to make a venser deck because I think he's awesome so I'd give this deck a go but I just don't see how you win? 

Turbofog decks the opponent out.

Needs Jace Memeory Adept.

The wincon is the Stonehorn/Venser lock and waiting for them to deck themselves.

Curse and Rites really speed that up. You end up drawing through your own deck a crazy bunch, and the recursion of Elixir and Revival helps get your sweepers and fogs back.

I had forgotten about Jace. I will put him in as a one-of.

Let's be honest here, the real wincon of Turbofog is the opponent getting frustrated and rage quitting. What you're hoping for is a turn 5 or 6 rage quit with table flip. 

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Let's be honest here, the real wincon of Turbofog is the opponent getting frustrated and rage quitting. What you're hoping for is a turn 5 or 6 rage quit with table flip. 

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I love your ascii table-flip! And yes, acknowledged.

Playing turbofog also carries a strong risk of being punched in the face, and/or people at your local game store losing all respect for you and refusing to play with you anymore. Seen it happen more than once.

------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
seems a fnm deck :P
Needs feeling of Dread, simply because it give you turn 2 and 3 or, 3 and 4, so you can drop Doj, or Gideon, etc. to deal with aggro.

I tryed to build one Turbofog deck and it's not easy. Mainly because of the wincon. The protective spells you play don't stack towards victory and card drawing is not spectacular in this format without Jace 1.0, 2.0 and wall of omens. 

I tryed to get benefit from casting many spells with:

- Burning Vengenge. So you bascily keep drawing and cast and burning stuff with gideon as an alternate wincone with a clean board.

- Inexorable Tide. This way evey spell you play you can either play for infect or planeswalkers counters. You can rush Venser's ultimate with Tide and other proliferate spells, and when the emblem is out, the spells with have antoher layer of threat, that will probably give you the game even fi not right away.
With infect the problem is to get your opponent that first poison counter so that you can 'control' the infection all the way up with proliferate spells and Tide. But then you have to use black and things get complicated if you don't get that infect counter on him.

But haven't found a good list yet. I would go WBG

You are missing in your list a life gain source, that is very important to live out of fast red decks.

As for people not liking someone with a deck like this, funny, how a turn 3 kill deck gets respect.

Cheers

let me get this straight. if i have Witchbane Orb on the field no one can burn my planeswalkers to death right?
let me get this straight. if i have Witchbane Orb on the field no one can burn my planeswalkers to death right?

No on can target with burn, but Slagstorm or Molten Rain will still burn them.

Leyline of Sancticity was much better, since it could enter in turn 1 for free and you wouldn't have to tapout on turn 4.

Cheers 
I think you're missing something obvious: with blue you don't really need white.  Also, Erasure is way better than Curse, and it combos wonderfully with Nihil Spellbomb and Time Reversal.

artifacts ~7

1x Elixir of Immortality
3x Nihil Spellbomb
3x Witchbane Orb

creatures ~7

3x Jace's Archivist
4x Snapcaster Mage

enchantments ~9

1x Dissipation Field
4x Jace's Erasure
4x Rites of Flourishing

instants ~12

1x Blunt the Assault
4x Fog
4x Moonmist
3x Noxious Revival

lands ~22

9x Forest
4x Hinterland Harbor
9x Island

sorceries ~3

3x Time Reversal

sixty-first card ~1

1x Demonic Attorney

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

I have a nonstandard turbofog deck-

I'm not asked to play anymore if I have my green deck box.

Just sayin'.

As for people not liking someone with a deck like this, funny, how a turn 3 kill deck gets respect.

Cheers

Turn 3 kill decks are hated by players just as much as mill decks, the only difference is that a quick death is more preferable to a long boring snoozefest of a game, particularly one that you will probably just end up losing anyway.

As for the deck, some counterspells would really help i think.
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
Just throwing this out there: 2 Make a Wish + Fog in the grave (and nothing else) + 5 mana = really annoying infinite fogs. If you get tons of cards in your grave, then it's just random recursion, but you often get what you need anyway (more fogs). After play testing it, I've found Make a Wish to be much more helpful than it looks.

I don't post much anymore. 

Sign In to post comments