is Grimgrin any good for commander? (first time in EDH)

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
quick question; is Grimgrin any good for commander, cause im looking to build a commander deck for the first time and considering i started playing when New Phyrexia came out, i dont have any older cards. i have Sheoldred,Whispering One and vorniclex but idk if those are any good for commander. i also have  tezz, agent of bolas( felt grimgrin and him would pair nice considering...)

ideas?
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Grimgrin is fine, although Thraximundar is really just better. Sheoldred and Vorinclex would both work fine as well.
Personally, I'm always nervous with Thraximundar. Someone in my group already plays it, and they are consistently hated out first.

Grimgrin... it's an interesting card. I just pulled one myself and have been trying to work out an EDH decklist. Unlike other commanders you might use, it will require some building around. You'll want to produce a lot of tokens (Oona, Queen of the Fae, Army of the Damned, Endless ranks of the dead if you're running a lot of zombies) so that you can sacrifice these tokens to Grimgrin in order to strengthen him. Additionally, when you sacrifice creatures and you have Grave Pact in play... it gets funny really fast. Most of these cards have been printed or reprinted fairly recently, and should be easy enough to find.

Another thing if you're playing a fair number of zombies, you can make infinite combos with Rooftop Storm, Cloudstone Curio, and any two zombie creatures, as long as one has an effect when it enters the battlefield.

These are a couple of the biggest things I've found while looking around for my own Grimgrin deck. I'd recomend searching google and other magic forums for decklists to get some inspiration (here's a thread on this forum discussion it community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...). Grimgrin may not be the best commander out there, but he can be pretty good when built around, and has a lot of potential to be a fun deck.

Also, since a lot of creatures will be hitting your graveyard, running Sheoldred is a good idea.
quick question; is Grimgrin any good for commander, cause im looking to build a commander deck for the first time and considering i started playing when New Phyrexia came out, i dont have any older cards. i have Sheoldred,Whispering One and vorniclex but idk if those are any good for commander. i also have  tezz, agent of bolas( felt grimgrin and him would pair nice considering...)

ideas?

Grimgrin is a beast.  He's in my league deck, and he's a house every time I cast him.  He needs the same kind of stuff as one of my commanders, Merieke Ri Berit:

Freed From the Real
Pemmin's Aura
Puppet Strings
Thousand-Year Elixir

and for some surprise value and cantrip:

Twitch
Jolt
Infuse

Also, as mentioned previously, token generators are great for Grimgrin, so in addition to those already mentioned:

Snake Basket
Sengir Autocrat
Nuisance Engine
Spiny Starfish

Finally, a previous poster stated that Thraximundar is better...and I must disagree.  In a deck built properly, Grimgrin has the potential to get much bigger, much faster.  Plus, he can target the creature that he kills, which means the defending player doesn't get the option to sac a token or some small utility creature like Solemn Simulacrum.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I opened one and played him at the prerelease, and was very tempted to build a BU Zombie themed deck around him. Grave Pact and Butcher of Malakir could even double the fun of sacing dudes to untap him. I also like the fact that you could pump him up to be huge if you have enough creatures, or use his untap ability at instant speed. It could be really tricky for other people to play around if piloted by a good player.
I've been looking for a way to let Grim tap to make a token, but i don't know of a way in  or
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight
I've been looking for a way to let Grim tap to make a token, but i don't know of a way in  or

That's why Thrax is better.  You get access to red which equals access to Elemental Mastery

So you play Grimgrin and enchant him with elemental mastery.
Get him untapped and then tap him for tokens.
Sac one to pump him and Thrax if he's out and untap grimgrin.
Repeat for infinity.

Add in grave pact, vicious shadows, or Butcher of Malakir for even more fun.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
kk, ty--- i dont think i could get thrax at the moment, so im gona start to build with grimgrin. any more suggestions are very much appreciated.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

kk, ty--- i dont think i could get thrax at the moment, so im gona start to build with grimgrin. any more suggestions are very much appreciated.

I still think Grimgrin is better than Thrax, but it's cool.

I'd stack the deck with the normal EDH necessities of ramp, card draw, tutors, removal etc.  But I'd add some token generators, other stuff to untap Grimgrin should the fodder not be available (see my previous post) and creatures like Solemn Simulacrum, who do useful things when they die.

Happy building!  You should post the decklist when you put it together.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Untap effects are king with Grimgrin, such as Freed from the Real and Crab Umbra as well as cards which grant vigilance (Akroma's Memorial, Sword of Vengance) as well as token producers (Moan of the Unhallowed, Army of the Damned).   Also, recursion, particularly repeatable recursion, is great with him.  Just a couple of thoughts.
myr are grimgrin's friends.

cards like genesis chamber, myr turbine, and myr propagator can all help him do his thing without relying on having to feed him your 'real' creatures.

the chamber can backfire if your opponents can use it more efficiently than you, but you can also abuse it by looping with rooftop storm as mentioned earlier to make infinite myr tokens.
Yeah, Rooftop Storm is a must. And here is a rules question, if you ahve the storm out and a sac outlet, lets say Nantuko Husk or w/e, can you just sac grimgrin and cast him repeatedly from the command zone for 0? Or is the 2 extra mana on top of any other costs?
Grow old or die trying.
you still have to pay additional costs. casting your zombie commander from the command zone will only be free if it's the first time.

seriously, the easiest way to use grimgrin is to draw one of these cards:
bitterblossom
bloodghast
reassembling skeleton
nether traitor
minamo, school at water's edge
Zombie Infestation is a decent token gen
Show
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Bagh! Thraximundar has been done to death, its about time some one made a Grimgrin deck, try cards with persist so they serve a specific purpose and you can stall untill you get an untap engine
Sign In to post comments