Most Hated on Commanders

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i've been playing EDH(commander) for about a year now, and it's been quite the struggle to get ahold of the format. There seems to be quite a lot of Generals(commanders) that get hated out of the game just because they are there. I've recently been making more and more decks to find some generals that i want to stick with for a while, and i've come across more hated generals than fun ones. In light of that, i decided to ask and see what the most hated commanders in your playgroup are.

In my playgroup, Kalia of the Vast, Teferi, Mage of Zalphir, Kiki-jiki, mirrorbreaker, Rafiq of the many, Doran, the Seige tower, Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker, The Mimeoplasm, and Empress Galina are all hated out of the game. If anyone in my playgroup uses one of these for a commander, then everyone gangs up on them.

Of course i've got to complain a bit and say it's anoying as hell not to be able to play any of the really fun generals. Kalia drops some funny bombs on early turns, Kiki-jiki has fun reactions with so many creatures, Shirei is just combo fun, and all the rest make pretty good control generals.

So what generals tend to get hated out of your playgroup's games? 
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight

Nin, The Pain Artist, but only because the deck she's played in is all about gaining control of the opponents' creatures.

My Merieke Ri Berit deck can draw the ire of other players, so I've found it important to not only protect her with auras and equipment, but to protect myself with enchantments, artifacts and creatures (i.e. Ghostly Prison, Witchbane Orb, Blazing Archon).

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

The only commanders I know that tend to get strongly hated on in my area are the absolutely absurd generals, called by some to be the "Tier 1 Commanders".  They include Zur the Enchanter, Rafiq of the Many, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Erayo, Soratami Ascendant (pre-banning), Uril, the Miststalker, Jhoira of the Ghitu, Arcum Dagsson, Azami, Lady of Scrolls, Sharuum the Hegemon, Ertai, Wizard Adept and Zedruu the Greathearted.  There may be others, and some of the listed commanders may not quite be Tier one, but those are what tend to get targeted in my area.
My Shirei deck tends to draw the ire of the table. Then again, I tend to lock them with Contamination and Possessed Portal.
Niv-Mizzet is the only general I straight up hate on players for simply because he is their general. I could really care less about anything else.

Teferi is banned as a general btw.

No, he isn't.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

No, he isn't.

I believe, per the thread subject, that he's talking about his playgroup.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Sorry, I was confusing him with Erayo. My mistake.
Sorry, I was confusing him with Erayo. My mistake.

I don't get that, Erayo's banning that is. Erayo is powerful, but i've always been able to stop it. No matter what deck i'm playing i can have the 4th spell for the turn on the stack before erayo resolves. So then i just kill it. Erayo never seemed like that strong of a general to me.
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
Monkey knife fight
In my group, Kaalia and Thraximundar get hated out pretty regularly. Surprisingly, my Riku doesn't... despite them knowing full well what it can do. Oh and Grand Arbiter tends to get killed pretty quickly for obviously reasons...
From what I've seen, the local shop just seems to frown upon blue infinite combo. Which is understandable.
I'm new to the forums, and would really appreciate help on any of my deck lists, as those who live near me and play Magic is a small pool to draw from. I play EDH and Standard, and enjoy both Sealed and Draft in Limited. Wort EDH In standard I play U/w Delver/Illusions.
there arent any generals I hate going against but if youre running Oona, Momir Vig, Sharuum, edric, or Kaalia then i will try to take you out early because I know how strong they can get if left alone.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
there arent any generals I hate going against but if youre running Oona, Momir Vig, Sharuum, edric, or Kaalia then i will try to take you out early because I know how strong they can get if left alone.

All the games I've played against Edric, Spymaster of Trest have honestly been somewhat underwhelming.  I've considered building him myself, but after seeing how easilly the deck gets destroyed by sweepers, I decided against it.  Momir is another T1 deck I forgot about, though.  Even if you run a non-combo Momir build he's extremely powerful.

As a side note, another deck that is also extremely powerful and widely hated against is Skthiryx, the Blight Dragon.

All the games I've played against Edric, Spymaster of Trest have honestly been somewhat underwhelming.  I've considered building him myself, but after seeing how easilly the deck gets destroyed by sweepers, I decided against it.  Momir is another T1 deck I forgot about, though.  Even if you run a non-combo Momir build he's extremely powerful.

As a side note, another deck that is also extremely powerful and widely hated against is Skthiryx, the Blight Dragon.

Edric isnt bad until your against him and you are the only two players in the game at that point...
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Edric, Spymaster of Trest is straight-up murder in one-on-one. But in my group, I think the general that gets the most real hate is Thrax! Ah-ah! King of the impossible!
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Arcanis the Omnipotent and Jhoira of the Ghitu. The guy in our playgroup who has an Arcanis deck has such an unfun one (as if mono-blue decks are ever fun for anyone else). Luckily, our playgroup doesn't actually have a Jhoira deck in it, but the one time I faced one, it just wasn't really what I wanted to get out of a commander game. Land destruction's never fun.
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg)
Personally I tend to target anything that's one part of a two card combo. Niv-Mizzet and Teferi are not my pals. Resource-denial generals also get the stick first, but I'm sure that's not just me.
Play EDH? Interested in trying EDH? Want ideas for new and exciting generals? Have certain colors in mind for your next deck, but haven't picked a general yet? Boy have I got the thread for you! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22946049/Comprehensive_Index_of_Generals
Two card combo generals are just unfun. Everyone in my playgroup switched to using Teferi and the like in the deck but not as general. Until recently, my decks all ended in a 5-7 card combo but i started adding in the two card combos as a failsafe. If everyone in my group is going for unfun stuff then i'll do it better.

I'm used to being the control player at the table, so i tend to be able to stop the two cards that other people try to pull off. I've only just recently tried to get off the control habit, so now i'm building aggro-ish decks that somehow end up mostly control. 
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
Monkey knife fight
Omnath, Locus of Mana
Kaalia of the Vast
Jhoira of the Ghitu

Those three generals are a real pain to play against. If you let them hang around for 2-3 turns unchecked you're probably losing the game. I just despise generals that can win you the game so easily every single time. That's why my two EDH decks have Zedruu the Greathearted and Xira Arien as generals. EDH is a lot more fun when every game is different. I can't tell you how many times I've been annihilated by a trampling Omnath on turn five.
My mono blue control deck that uses Kira, Great Glass-Spinner gets the most hate.  I think she makes the game interesting though.  I know my playgroup really hates Omnath, Locus of Mana and Erayo, but of course Erayo got banned. Generally I find though that it's as much about the deck, as it is the general. People hate Kira because the deck I use her with has more rare cards than anyone knows what to do with.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
The mimeoplasm gets a ton of hate in our group, but mostly because the deck is so good. We also have a very good infect sharuum the hegemon deck that gets some hate too.

Uril, the miststalker is a powerful general that often draws all sorts of board sweeps out from just about everyone at any time.

I personally will hate on Kami of the Crescent Moon big time whenever I see him, mostly because everyone loves card draw so they will let this general live.. And 5 turns later we'll all be dead to infinite turn combo, infinite mill combo or just can't cast anything due to counterspells! No one suspects Group Hug Guy.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
i like playing Geth, Lord of the Vault. Its every fun to slowly mil your oppents. 
Rafiq of the Many gets hated on, Ezuri, Renegade Leader because he is a two card combo with basically the entirety of his deck. Olivia Voldaren prompts sweeps and commander tucks and other ways of keeping her from ruining the game, but the rest of the deck she is in is generally not hated upon. Same for Riku of Two Reflections. The guy who runs Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind uses him in a way that actually makes his deck more annoying than his commander. If you can slow his other creatures down, you need not fear Niv-Mizzet.

There's plenty of creatures that get hated on that could be commanders but are in the decks instead, typically single color legends like Sheoldred, Geth, or Elesh Norn. And again, their decks are usually safe from hate once those creatures leave play.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

honestly i hate Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, it makes the game not fun for me. Also Kaalia of the Vast, Vendilion Clique, Jhoira of the Ghitu, Zur the Enchanter,  Riku of Two Reflections, The Mimeoplasm. I guess this is because they are just know bombs, personally i don't mind any of them. When i play my Kaalia or Jhoira decks they get taken out fairly fast depending on oppents.
When I play it's not a matter of hate, it's just a matter of playing correctly.

Against a well-built edric deck, you have to kill a turn 2 or 3 edric drop or you'll just lose.

Against a lot of commanders killing it is just the right play because it slows the deck down massively or the deck just outright doesn't function without the commander. Examples would be arcum, jhoira, kaalia, sisay, zur.

Unless you are talking about trying to kill the actual player just based on their commander choice? That seems pretty dumb. Sure, if someone is playing sharuum I'm going to keep a close eye on them. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before focus-firing them. If they don't do anything suspiciously setting-up-an-infinite-combo-looking then I won't change how I play.
Sign In to post comments