Corrupted Counters has efficiency problems

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just figured i'd go ahead and post my list for my Esper Control/Combo edh list.

General
Ertai, the Corrupted

Lands 34
3 Islands
1 Plains
1 Swamps
Tundra
Underground Sea
Scrubland
Hallowed Fountain
Watery Grave
Godless Shrine
Flooded Strand
Polluted Delta
Marsh Flats
Windswept Heath
Misty Rainforest
Arid Mesa
Verdant Catacomb
Bloodstained Mire
Scalding Tarn
Bojuka Bog
Mistveil Plains
Strip Mine
Homeward Path
Riptide Laboratory
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Reliquary Tower
Academy Ruins
Volrath's Stronghold
Tolaria West
Ancient Den
Seat of the Synod
Vault of Wispers
Phyrexian Tower

Creatures 22
Venser, Shaper Savant
Sun Titan
Archaeomancer
Karmic Guide
Bloodghast
Body Double
Trinket Mage
Dimir Houseguard
Glen Elendra Archmage
Solemn Simulacrum
Gilded Drake
Phantasmal Image
Consecrated Sphinx
Draining Whelk
Phyrexian Metamorph
Peregrine Drake
Reveillark
Restoration Angel
Sower of Temptation
Mnemonic Wall
Deadeye Navigator
Stoneforge Mystic

Enchantments 4
Land Tax
Necropotence
Leyline of Anticipation
Necromancy

Artifacts 14
Mana Crypt
Talisman of Dominance
Coalition Relic
Azorius Signet
Talisman of Progress
Orzhov Signet
Scroll Rack
Sol Ring
Dimir Signet
Sensei's Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sword of Feast and Famine
Mimic Vat
Crucible of Worlds

Instants 15
Cryptic Command
Mana Drain
Force of Will
Pact of Negation
Intuition
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Ghostly Flicker
Entomb
Enlightened Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Fact or Fiction
Cyclonic Rift
Momentary Blink

Sorceries 7
Time Warp
Austere Command
Yawgmoth's Will
Demonic Tutor
Bribery
Unburial Rites
Vindicate

Planeswalkers 3
Tezeret the Seeker
Venser, the Sojourner
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Combos and cool tech:
Rune-Scarred Demon+Mistmeadow Witch/ Venser, the Sojourner+Beacon of Tomorrows=Infinite Turns

Mnemonic Wall+Crystal Shard+Time Stretch=Infinite Turns

Sun Titan+fetchland/Phantasmal Image=Awesome

Gilded Drake/Angel of Despair/Solemn Simulacrum+Mimic Vat= Rediculous

Reassembling Skeleton+Ertai, the Corrupted=Lots of counters

I like this deck but I feel it may not be efficient enough. Any suggestions to make it more efficient would be most welcome.

Azorius Signet
Coalition Relic
Crystal Shard
Dimir Signet
Gilded Lotus
Mana Crypt
Mimic Vat
Orzhov Signet
Sensei's Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Talisman of Dominance
Talisman of Progress
Thran Dynamo
Phyrexian Metamorph
Solemn Simulacrum
Ancient Den
Seat of the Synod
Vault of Whispers
Angel of Dispair
Consecrated Sphinx
Gilded Drake
Glen Elendra Archmage
Karmic Guide
Mistmeadow Witch
Mnemonic Wall
Necrotic Sliver
Phantasmal Image
Reassembling Skeleton
Rune-Scarred Demon
Snapcaster Mage
Sun Titan
Trinket Mage
Weathered Wayfarer
Followed Footsteps
Future Sught
Leyline of Anticipation
Necropotence
Phyrexian Arena
Rhystic Study
Ertai, the Corrupted
Capsize
Counterspell
Cryptic Command
Enlightened Tutor
Evacuation
Fact or Fiction
Force of Will
Lim-Dul's Vault
Mana Drain
Mystical Tutor
Pact of Negation
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowsheres
Vampiric Tutor
Ancient Tomb
Arcane Sanctum
Command Tower
Drowned Catacomb
Fetid Heath
Flooded Strand
Glacial Fortress
Godless Shrine
Hallowed Fountain
Homeward Path
Island
Island
Island
Isolated Chapel
Marsh Flats
Mystic Gate
Plains
Plains
Polluted Delta
Reflecting Pool
Reliquary Tower
Riptide Laboratory
Scrubland
Sunken Ruins
Swamp
Swamp
Tolaria West
Tundra
Underground Sea
Watery Grave
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Venser, Shaper Savant
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Volrath's Stronghold
Tezzeret the Seeker
Venser, the Sojourner
Austere Command
Beacon of Tomorrows
Bribery
Decree of Pain
Demonic Tutor
Time Stretch
Yawgmoth's Will
I like the creature-base you're using. There are a lot of good etb effects, and the deck (well, these colors in general, if I'm honest) has some nice ways to engine-ize them (mimic vat, venser, crystal shard, etc). I'd actually encourage fleshing that out some more. Get some more utility bodies, and more ways to use them (momentary blink!) Not only does this tend to be a decent enough strategy on its own, but provides you with bodies to feed Ertai. So instead of running capsize, run venser, shaper savant. Instead of running forbid, run draining whelk. And so on.

Actually I think you'll find that stupid little cantrip dorks help your efficiency a lot. Duders like sea gate oracle, wall of omens, court hussar, mulldrifter, etc gives you bodies to muck up the board (and later sack to ertai), and helps you dig to your engines/combo pieces.

Grave titan can be a game winning bomb, and the tokens that he generates can be sacked to Ertai to fuel counterspelling. Minor plus: You can clamp the zombies, and they survive to be munched on by the bossman. He's probably better than sphinx of uthuun, at any rate. I also feel like this deck is a good home for reveillark and friends. Reveillark + karmic guide or body double lets you actually profit by sacking to Ertai.

Good news! There are a bunch of cards in the avacyn restored that help this deck.
deadeye navigator
restoration angel
ghostly flicker

Ghostly flicker is almost an engine in and of itself. If you use it to flicker say, mnemonic wall or snapcaster mage, you can reuse it. Or you can clone an opponents' eternal witness.

Where's bloodghast? He's pretty sweet with both skullclamp and ertai. And for that matter, where are the rest of the fetchlands? You have all 6 duals, so cut some of the other nonbasic fixers for scalding tarn, misty rainforest, windswept heath, arid mesa, verdant catacombs, and bloodstained mire. The half-on-color fetches are superior at fixing, for one thing. Glacial fortress can't get you that third black mana you need to cast necropotence, but windswept heath can, for example. Plus, you're running sun titan. Sun titan + fetchlands is some good. 

Jace, the mind sculptor likes decks like this, especially if you up the misc dork count as I suggest. More bodies in play means he's less likely to get attacked, and he can actually bounce your own creatures to reuse their etb effects. Plus, he's the best planeswalker in EDH just on the power of repeated brainstorming...sooo yeah.

Also a white deck that A) doesn't have green (so almost all the ramp is non-land) and B) also has black (more tutors) but doesn't include land tax and scroll rack just feels wrong. Especially since you're running weathered wayfarer.

I actually don't like mistmeadow witch much. Its effect is very powerful, but just so darned expensive. He usually does good things without costing any cards, but you spend so much tempo doing so that it often isn't worth the opportunity cost. Plus, he doesn't return the creature immediately, which is sometimes good (eg: dodging wraths), but usually bad (eg: can't respond to things).

I'm also not a fan of arcanis, or mind over matter. MoM is almost a pure combo card that - let's be honest - doesn't combo with a whole lot of things in your deck. It draws your deck with arcanis...and lets you counter more than once per turn with ertai, if you have the bodies to fuel it...but that's about it.

I'd also cut some of your clunkier engines. This isn't the right home for future sight, for example. You're playing reactive control for the most part, so you don't want to be tapping out on your own turn to churn through as many cards as possible.

Hmm, now I've suggested a lot of additions, but not a whole lot of cuts.

I like where this is going....I'll come back and revisit this thread later when I have more time to think on it. Actually I might just build my own decklist over the next few days without looking at this, then come back and share.
Maybe a thousand year elixir, gives psuedo haste to ertai, and will let you counter 1 more time.
If you're running MOM and arcanis why not throw in a laboratory maniac
I also feel you should be running more card draw you really only have 3 forms of consistant card draw necro  arcanis and consecrated sphinx, and you really shouldn't be relying on those sticking around/resolving. Maybe one of the jaces, or mind's eye, or some other form of card draw.
Also mikeaus the unhallowed would be good with your generals theme, and maybe twilight shephard.
conjurer's closet is like a venser planeswalker that can't be attacked.
Tremor
Thank you for taking the time to review this deck and i have already made some of the changes that are mentioned in your post but I need to update the OP to reflect this so that you can make suggestions for cuts for other stuff. MOM is out and so is Arcanis and have been for a while. Also added Deadeye Navigator as it is an amazing card.

Nope
Have tried Thousand Year Elixer and then cut it and i've been trying to get it back in this list. It's an awesome card. One many people forget. Also need to make room for Mikeaus the unhallowed

Metalevolence
Yes indeed. Trying to fit it in.

I feel like I'm trying to get this deck to do too much and thus not getting it to do enough.

PS. How would bitterblossom be in here.

Edit: Updated OP to reflect current decklist which will prolly have an overhaul pretty soon.
Can't believe i forgot this, but is there a reason you don not have phyrexian arena on your list?
It is in the deck but I forgot to add it to the list. Will update later
It is in the deck but I forgot to add it to the list. Will update later

I've spent some time tinkering with this list. I did some gold-fishing with it to make sure the ratios are okay. I wouldn't call it optimized without a lot of games under my belt (and I haven't actually played a true multiplayer game yet), but I'm pretty happy with some of the things going on in it. Here's my list:

1 Ertai, the Corrupted

Recursion (7)
1 Mnemonic Wall
1 Reveillark
1 Body Double
1 Karmic Guide
1 Sun Titan
1 Unburial Rites
1 Necromancy

Tricks+control (19)
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Restoration Angel
1 Merieke Ri Berit
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Draining Whelk
1 Mana Drain
1 Force of Will
1 Pact of Negation
1 Momentary Blink
1 Cloudshift
1 Austere Command
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Angel of Despair
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Phantasmal Image
1 Vesuvan Shapeshifter
1 Sower of Temptation
1 Gilded Drake
1 Bribery

Engines (13)
1 Necropotence
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Venser, the Sojourner
1 Deadeye Navigator
1 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Bloodghast
1 Skullclamp
1 Mimic Vat
1 Ghostly Flicker
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Peregrine Drake
1 Time Warp

Tutors/digging (15)
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Intuition
1 Entomb
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Imperial Seal
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Trinket Mage
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Mulldrifter
1 Wall of Omens
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Dimir House Guard
1 Sensei's Divining Top

Mana accel (10)
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Crypt
1 Dimir Signet
1 Azorius Signet
1 Orzhov Signet
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Talisman of Progress
1 Coalition Relic
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Solemn Simulacrum

Land (35)
1 Ancient Den
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Scrubland
1 Watery Grave
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Godless Shrine
1 Marsh Flats
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Windswept Heath
1 Arid Mesa
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Strip Mine
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Tolaria West
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Mistveil Plains
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Academy Ruins
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Swamp
1 Plains
3 Island

I built this to be more combo-happy than I would normally for a deck of my own, because I know you like that

A lot of the deck's combo potential revolves around 1) reveillark or 2) ghostly flicker, because they can chain into a full multicard combo off a single tutor. Actually I'm surprised ghostly flicker isn't being talked about more in this format...it's blue's recurring nightmare, which is strong enough to be banned.

Ghostly flicker just needs a recursion creature to become a stupidly powerful engine. Basically you just blink the recursion creature (which then returns ghostly flicker to your hand) and something else useful. 2U to trigger an ETB effect, as many times as you want, without the engine being vulnerable to removal...that's actually *better* than recurring nightmare because it can be done at instant speed (it isn't a better card overall, because recnight doesn't depend on a particular creature being in play to engine-ize, but the fact that the comparison even exists makes Ghostly flicker really exciting). And while mnemonic wall is the only card in the deck that can serve this recursion function, there are 11 cards that can clone/steal/recur/bribery someone else's eternal witness or izzet chronarch or whatever, and 7 tutors to find them.

Reveillark + reanimation creature (karmic guide or body double) + dimir house guard + some useful effect on a 2-power creature = infinite uses of that useful effect. Reveillark combos are easy to assemble, because 2 of the 4 pieces are recursion themselves, and because you run intuition and cards with flashback. Intuition can grab reveillark, body double, and mnemonic wall. If given lark, it can be evoked and get the others in play. If they give you body double, you copy lark, and either chump block, sac it to ertai or tower or just find your sac
outlet some other way. And if they give you mnemonic wall, you just cast it. In all cases, mnemonic wall returns intuition to recast it. Depending on what you have in play at this point, you can recast it for dimir house guard + unburial rites + momentary blink. Then you can flashback rites for body double (copying lark) and blink it. If you already have body doubled lark in play, cool, just get venser/whatever instead of unburial rites to bounce the board and win out. If not, then once the engine is running you can use wall to return intuition and cast it again to find venser/whatever. Either way, you end up with the full combo engine in play purely off intuition.

One card combos are cool, even if they cost a lot of mana. Keep in mind that almost every other tutor in the deck can find intuition, and the combo gets significantly less mana-intensive if you've previously drawn/played a relevant piece.

Ghostly flicker chains work similarly, and are less convoluted (if maybe more mana intensive). Basically, any tutor can find mnemonic wall or a clone copying someone else's eternal witness or whatever, which then returns the tutor. Then tutor for a(nother) clone (or rune-scarred demon), and copy the wall/clone allowing you to re-tutor. Then tutor for ghostly flicker, blink both creatures, returning both ghostly flicker and the tutor. Then tutor for peregrine drake, cast it, then blink one of the clones and the drake. At this point, you have infinite mana, infinite tutors, and infinite recursion. I'm sure you can find a way to win ;) All it takes is one tutor to get it started.

Why peregrine drake instead of palinchron? We have no mana doublers (and academy is banned), so chron can't go infinite on his own. And any way you'd be able to go infinite with chron (ghostly flicker, deadeye navigator), you can with drake too, except drake has a lower initial cost and is reveillark-able.

Other notes:

Intuition and its little cousin entomb have more than just combo applications. Sometimes you can just use them to get momentary blink in the yard and then blink draining whelk to counter something (or venser to bounce, or angel to vindicate, etc). Sometimes you have skullclamp and they can bin bloodghast to go with it. Other cards that interact well with them: volrath's stronghold, academy ruins, everything in the recursion section. I didn't want to go overboard on graveyard love, because it's so easy to hate on and our recursion combo engines are pretty sweet. But in the right meta, I could see fleshing it out more with cards like yawgmoth's will, buried alive, fact or fiction, thirst for knowledge, deep analysis, etc. On the flipside, if there's a lot of grave hate, it could be correct to run pull from eternity to retrieve an exiled combo piece (the yard is a fine place for pieces of lark combo to end up).

Cards capable of getting you a useful creature from an opponent (often you just want eternal witness): bribery, phyrexian metamorph, phantasmal image, vesuvan shapeshifter, body double, gilded drake, sower of temptation, necromancy, Merieke Ri Berit, mimic vat. And there are 7 tutors capable of finding these. So you don't really need late-game bombs (even 'auto-includes' like grave titan, rite of replication, etc), because by the time you can cast them you can just be comboing out...and failing that, you can just use other players' bombs. It might actually be correct to cut rune-scarred demon and angel of despair as well.

The 'temporary' theft cards (Merieke Ri Berit and sower of temptation) let you keep the stolen creature permanently if you blink that creature with ghostly flicker, cloudshift, or restoration angel, which frees you up to blink/sac/untap merieke or sower. Or you can just sac the stolen creature to ertai and then be free to reuse the thief critter. I'm not certain that playing Merieke is correct, but she works
nicely with ertai and the things that work well with him, like thousand-year elixir and minamo, school at water's edge, so she just feels right. Might be better suited to a more casual meta than yours, though.

Venser's +2 blinks things you own, not things you control. So he works nicely with gilded drake.

Necromancy won out over various other recursion spells because 1) it can be played as an instant (and makeshift mannequin doesn't let
you blink the creature). 2) it can return a creature from anyone's yard (unlike miraculous recovery), 3) it's cost effective (animate dead, and reanimate are cheaper but fail in other categories) and 4) it can be sacked to ertai. Sometimes you flash in necromancy in response to a spell, get a creature with some useful effect, then tap ertai to sac necromancy and counter the spell, and with necromancy's leave-play trigger on the stack, you blink the creature, again getting the useful effect, and get to keep the creature. Serious value play, right there.

Stoneforge mystic, trinket mage, and tezzeret the seeker are all in there primarily to find skullclamp. I've thinned out the number of cards that enginize on their own with clamp down to just bloodghast (I originally had bitterblossom, elspeth, knight errant, sorin, lord of innistrad, reassembling skeleton, etc). Clamp works well enough with your general that you don't really need to enginize it for it to be worth tutoring for. Converting solemn simulacrum and whatever other utility bodies you have lying around into
counterspells+cards is pretty awesome. And if ertai gets tucked with hinder or whatever, there are plenty of tutors that can a) get him back or b) get bloodghast and go retarded with clamp and all the fetchlands you'll draw off it. There are other cards that work nicely with clamp too, like Merieke.

Stoneforge mystic can also find mana ramp (sword of feast and famine) or card draw (sword of fire and ice). Hopefully a flying creature, or the color protections offer enough evasion to connect somewhere on the table. Tezzeret's secondary function is mana ramp. You can -X him to get mana crypt, sol ring, and artifact lands, and then +1 him to (re)use them in future turns.

Dimir house guard transmutes for: jace, the mind sculptor, phyrexian metamorph, sower of temptation, venser, shaper savant, glen elendra archmage, solemn simulacrum. Usually you just get jace. Transmuting him is usually better than holding him for combo purposes, because his function as a sac outlet is generally only relevant for reveillark comboing. And if you're setting up lark combo, you can usually just lark him directly into play from the yard.

I think infinite turn recursion is probably a good gameplan, but only found the deck space for a single time warp. If I were going to flesh it out, I'd add the other 5 cost spells (capture of jingzhou and temporal manipulation) before I considered time stretch or beacon of tomorrows. Infinite is infinite, and it's possible to infinitely recur a 5-mana spell earlier in the game than a 10-mana spell...plus, the 5-mana extra turn spells can be used to get extra land drops and double-activate planeswalkers during the development stages of the game.

I hemmed and hawed and cut both riptide laboratory and snapcaster mage. I might have made the wrong choice. Another cut I'm unsure about was the land tax, scroll rack, weathered wayfarer, and tithe package. Actually, as I think about it more, I'm becoming quite sure that cutting tax/rack is wrong, but now I can't decide what to axe to bring it back in...maybe the 2 7-drops I mentioned earlier.

Archaeomancer from M13 definitely needs a home here as mnemonic wall #2, when that set becomes available.

Very nice list. I'm sad that my meta Happened to be college peeps and thus the group is disbanded and I'm now in a significantly more casual meta otherwise I would be switching to this list immediately. I'm trying to keep the list to just having 1 or 2 combos untill other players decide to get more competative. Or I could play this list and only combo with it when things have gone on long enough.

Aslo, on the case of Riptide Laboratory, Archeomancer, Venser, Shaper Savant, Trinket Mage, Sea Gate Oracle, Glen Elendra Archmage, Sower of Temptation and Ertia himself (to save him from removal) can all be bounced an re-used with it. Adding Snapcaster in place of say Angel of Despair and finding a slot for that land may be the right call.

I also feel that Crucible of Worlds needs a home in this list. Not for Strip Mine but for the fetches.

I also feel that Tax/Rack should be in here but not the Wayfarer or tithe.

Why no Enlightened Tutor.

Aslo, I really dont feel like shelling out the cash  to obtain and Imerial Seal, or a Sword of Fire and Ice and I dont think the Sword is really very good in this list but I may just be an idiot.

As for Merieke I think that Preacher may be a better choice because I can chose to untap him.
Yeah, there are definitely ways to tune it to de-emphasize combo, which I'd do if I built it for my playgroup. But most of the cards that are combo pieces (aside from say, peregrine drake) are pretty good on their own, so you can just adjust your play decisions and not aggressively tutor for them and have a pretty acceptable deck.

You're right, omitting crucible was a mistake. I love that card! especially in 3c decks that get to run 9 fetches. Being able to shuffle every turn makes cards like divining top better, too. Not sure how that one slipped by me.

I had enlightened tutor in the deck, but cut it along with tax/rack. Without that package, I just didn't feel like there were enough targets for it to pull its weight...you certainly don't want to be using it to tutor for mana rocks, which leaves just necro and the equipment as tutor targets. I certainly wasn't about to consider steelshaper's gift, so I'm not running it for the equipment, plus there are a ton of other ways to find skullclamp. I guess maybe it's justifiable as necro #2, and cutting it may have been wrong. That's something I'd want to encounter in actual game scenarios to decide.

I'm still not sure about snapcaster. I love that guy, but we're preferentially running creatures instead of spells, so the spell count isn't very high and many of the good spells either A) already have flashback or B) we'd like to re-use more than just once. Again...something I'd want to play out to get a feel for. He's pretty good with tutors and cloudshift and such. Archaeomancer might tilt the scales enough to justify riptide lab though, especially if you add a few more extra turn spells.

I included Sword of Fire and Ice, mainly to give stoneforge mystic more legs. I guess if you already found clamp, you don't need to tutor for another draw engine, and the cases where this outperforms clamp are pretty rare. I could definitely see cutting it.

Disagree on preacher vs merieke. There are so many ways to blink in this deck that you can just untap merieke that way if/when you need to. And usually when you want to steal a creature, it's because you either need to nullify a threat and get defense (in which case you won't want to give it back for a while), or because you want some specific function for your blink engine (ie: witness). In either case YOU want to choose the creature that you get, and not get blanked because someone has saproling tokens.

This is why it's good to post decklists More eyes notice more things.

Based on your comments, I'd probably go:
-angel of despair
-rune-scarred demon
-sword of fire and ice
-imperial seal
-peregrine drake
-a land
+land tax
+scroll rack
+archaeomancer
+crucible of worlds
+enlightened tutor
+riptide laboratory
Wanted to point out that blinking a sower of temptation before the ETB effect resolves does not steal creatures permanently. Other than that, both lists look good.

3DH4LIF3

Wanted to point out that blinking a sower of temptation before the ETB effect resolves does not steal creatures permanently. Other than that, both lists look good.

True. However I think he was referring to fickering the stolen creature as well as sower.
I like Unbender Tine and Quicksilver Elemental in this deck.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

@daedhaed- that would work. Though I'm surprised they didn't go with "owners control" which seems more common. I don't like that there are two templates for the blinking effect.

3DH4LIF3

I do but my freind doesn't due to consitency problems.
Another thing I noticed on this list was the absence of Teferi, Mystical Teachings, and Yawgmoth's Will. The former 2 I can kind of understand but Yawgwin is soo good. I almost can't play without it anymore.
Yeah yawgwin should be in there. I forgot about the card the first run through, and it occured to me while I was making cuts, and specifically trying to reduce the deck's reliance on the graveyard so I didn't put any effort into squeezing it in. Teferi and Teachings are certainly playable, but what would you cut for them?
Now that I think about it those two aren't really needed. But I do need to fit Yawgwin in.
I cut Wall of Omens for Baleful Strix because it's a deathtoutch flying blocker for 2 and also synergizes well with Skullclamp.
Cut Sea Gate Oracle for Court Hussar cause it digs deeper.
Baleful strix is a nice catch, I never knew that card existed.

I'm not sure about the oracle -> hussar swap though. I love hussar, but he doesn't play well with blinks.
Strix is in new planechase stuff. I'm gonna test hussar to see if there are times I'd rather have oracle.
How do people feel about sphinx's revelation in this deck?
I'm sort of surprised to not see auras that return to your hand like Sleeper's Guile in here.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

They don't do anything that synergizes with the gameplan of the deck and I can't equip a skullclamp to them. Putting cards in just to sac to Ertai as a counterspell is bad.
I'd like to see the new list, but feel that you could use some more ETB LTB triggers in order to make this deck shine:

Reveillark
Rasputin Dreamweaver
Nether Traitor
Dance of Many

Others
Rule of Law
Arcane Laboratory
Time Stop - This is an OVERWHELMING card to play:  Stops combo's flat.

Odds and ends:
Geist-Honored Monk
Strands of Night
Will be updating very soon. My list looks almost identical to the one tremor posted in here. It is very synergistic and lots of fun to play.
Updated OP to reflect current decklist.
Cessation is a self-recurring enchantment that actually does something

edit: lol your list is so tight cessation is probably way too cute... the only thing I could see dropping is unburial rites. 
Unburial Rites is really good at creating a catch 22 with Intuition. Thinking of cutting Vindicate for Sphinx's Revelation. Trying to mitigate some of the life loss in this deck and I haven't really needed the vindicate.
Actually, Sphinx's Revelation is not the correct call for this deck. Disciple of Bolas is. It's a creature so it synergizes with Ertai, it has 2 power so it's larkable, it has 1 toughness so it's a prime clamp target. Why didn't I realize this sooner.
I like it.

Instead of reveillarking back body double and some utility effect, you lark back body double and disciple, sac double to draw 4, get back double and the utility effect....same result but up 4? niiice. You don't even need much for him to be good. Bloodghast around? Cool, he's a cheaper mulldrifter. Skullclamp around? Niiiiice.

I don't think cutting wall of omens is correct though. 
You prefer wall of omens over strix? and what to cut for either?
Gosh no don't cut strix. You want as many cheap cantrip creatures as possible. If they printed 15 2-drops that drew a card I'd probably play them all in this deck.

How good has mimic vat been for you? If it's anything less than stellar I'd probably look at either that or vindicate. 
Strix is not in current list. Vat has been underwhelming at best. Vindicate came out for disciple of bolas.
You don't seem like a vat player anyways, daed.  Not being cute, I honestly see you as a cantrip and control player.
Vat is really good with simulacrum imprinted and Ertai active. Turns into 4 mana, ramp 1, draw a card, and counter target spell but all in all I agree with you. I hate it when I'm not playing blue and cant say no to the broken things other players do.
only 34 lands? (even with a few rocks)

no ghostway
I don't see the reason to have artifact lands in the deck either.  How often do you trinket mage for them?  The four (Sensei, Crypt, Sol Ring and Clamp) targets that you would go for are flat out better than going for a land.

@ Metalevolence, I ran ghostway in my zur deck (taxes, that I finished, I may post a list at some point, though probably not) but had to cut it because it was too clunky to search for consistently.  It was a dead draw most of the time because of the interractions with other players, as well as being WAY too expensive because of all of the taxes.  As my friend said; "It's too bad you can't tutor up Nether Void with Zur."  That would be back-breaking.
Was your zur deck doing a blink thing?

I'm thinking if ghostly flicker is good here then ghostway should be good too 
Our play group allows for one free partial mulligan and then the rest are at -1 so I never get land screwed. Especially with the amount of draw in the deck. As for the artifact lands, they are in there so I can ramp with tezzeret without removing any loyalty. Which also triggers landfall with bloodghast again. Really good with clamp. The issue with ghostway vs. ghostly flicker is that ghostway recures itself at the end of the turn where flicker does so immediately. Ghostway is also not a counterspell with draining whelk. I like it but I can't find room for anything in this deck. Except I just found room for baleful strix. Cutting Leyline for it.
Sign In to post comments