Goblin History X or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Grenade

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
This deck seeks to abuse the raw power of Past in Flames using the most efficient direct damage spell of all time: Fireblast.  Lol jaykay, I mean Goblin Grenade, of course.

I think the only reason anyone ever looks at Past in Flames is as Snapcaster Mage 5-8, and I think that is a big mistake.  Not that pairing the two is an inherently bad idea, but I think this deck makes better use of it by being a single color.

How does it work?  Really quickly.  Observe the curve.  Only Goblin Arsonist and the effect from Chancellor of the Forge actually come down on turn one, but the average manacost of the deck (if you count Chancellor as free, which you should,) is about 1.74 mana.  This gives the deck explosive power even without hardcasting Chancellor or resolving a Past in Flames.  The goblins create a quick rush, Reverberate wrecks people's days by dealing 10 damage for 3 mana, countering counters, and just generally being a pain in the ass.

In the sideboard, tarpan is tech against Eureka decks that deal damage.

Ze Deck:

artifacts ~4

4x Ichor Wellspring

artifact creatures ~4

4x Adaptive Automaton

creatures ~12

4x Chancellor of the Forge
4x Goblin Arsonist
4x Goblin Chieftan

instants ~4

4x Reverberate

lands ~21

4x Inkmoth Nexus
17x Mountain

sorceries ~15

4x Goblin Grenade
4x Infernal Plunge
4x Kuldotha Rebirth
3x Past in Flames

sideboard ~15

3x Ancient Grudge
3x Grim Lavamancer
3x Nihil Spellbomb
3x Shock
3x Tarpan

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

Leet title.

Past in Flames doesn't avoid additional costs like sacrificing something, just FYI. 
Leet title.

Past in Flames doesn't avoid additional costs like sacrificing something, just FYI. 

Sorry, I should have made it clear; no, Past in Flames it does not remove additional costs to play spells.  However, with a massive suite of goblins to sacrifice to Goblin Grenade and Infernal Plunge, this should not be an issue.

Kuldotha Rebirth Can be a bit trickier, which is why I included Inkmoth Nexus.  The best early play for rebirth is off of an Ichor Wellspring, however.  You definitely don't want to throw away a land on turn two unless you a quite certain you have enough.

And Tarpan is sweet.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Are you sure wellingspring is worth it?  You only have rebirth really to make use of it, and it's going to usually be a one card draw cantrip for 2 mana which is meh.

I feel like it's too slow for the deck. 

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

I'm not totally set on it, but I do think it is good.  You're really getting three cards out of it (comes into play, leaves play, and enabling rebirth,) which is sweet for three mana.  Plus, slots are very tight (that wasn't innuendo, Tony,) and cutting it means you need to get another card that draws, and another that feeds rebirth.  If anyone knows of a card that fits this bill, I'm open to it.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

First off, love this title too. You're really funny with these.

Now to the deck, due to the low land count and the fact you might be sacking some Inkmoth lands for Rebirth, Mycosynth Wellspring might be be good here. Maybe have 3 and 3 of both of the springs, or 3 and 2... whatever's fine.

I like the idea of the deck allot. GG is one of my favorite burn spells and I'm glad someone is trying to utilize it now that it's standard legal again. Nice job

Also, you're right Tarpan is sweet.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Yeah, I'm not sure about the wellspring count and types.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Yeah, I'm not sure about the wellspring count and types.

Brimstone Volley might be good in this
The problem with Volley is that it is not Goblin Grenade.  That sounds silly, of course, because it complements it well, but three mana for three damage is a really bad topdeck, and I don't think that there is anything I'd be willing to cut for it.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

4 mana open.

Have a Goblin Arsonist on the field.

Swing. Maybe it get chumped, meh.

Grenade that ****.

Hitting them for 5+1 from GA.

Volley them for 3.

Ohshi- 11 damage.

I'd rather reverberate every time I could volley.  And that's what she said.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Past in Flames is too slow and is win-more.

Casual Play Archetypes | The Casual Play FAQ: A Guide to the Game of Magic | The Return of Group-Make-A-Deck!

Contributions are welcomed!

nogoblinsallowed.com

Join us!  

Pretty happy.  The question is whether to keep the chancellors, and if they are out, what else rto change to fit around that.  And the wellspring question.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

I'm divorced, but yes, my ex played magic, too.  I've been playing since 2001.  That isn't really on topic though.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

-snip-

btw, I've been meaning to tell you I think you're really beautiful.

I wish I could get to know you better. Does your boyfriend play Magic?

/ass-kiss

I'd rather reverberate every time I could volley. And that's what she said.

Yeah, I s'pose, I was just defending the volley for Tarpan's spot.

Is the Ancient Grudge really all you need in your meta? mine's pretty artfact heavy, so I'd at least have'em as a 4-of, or my lovable Manic Vandals

Wellspring looks like a very solid design and core essential to the theme you have. If it hasn't worked out for you in your games yet, it could just be a run of bad luck. I haven't really been collecting or playing since I quit right before Zendikar came out; so I don't know what's hipster right now. Back when I first started to collect and play when Judgement was out, one of my first decks was a Goblin deck. My ace card was Goblin Grenade too, but back then, most Goblin stuff was weak. We got some bombs during the Onslaught block, but by then I had moved onto Avatar of Woe reanimator.

Wellspring is great, I'm just not sure what the optimal number is of each, or if I should run only one of the two.

I had a relationship after I got divorced, and that didn't work out either, so I'm not really interested in anyone right now.  I'd love some closure, too.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

This deck seeks to abuse the raw power of Past in Flames using the most efficient direct damage spell of all time: Fireblast.  Lol jaykay, I mean Goblin Grenade, of course.

I think the only reason anyone ever looks at Past in Flames is as Snapcaster Mage 5-8, and I think that is a big mistake.  Not that pairing the two is an inherently bad idea, but I think this deck makes better use of it by being a single color.

How does it work?  Really quickly.  Observe the curve.  Only Goblin Arsonist and the effect from Chancellor of the Forge actually come down on turn one, but the average manacost of the deck (if you count Chancellor as free, which you should,) is about 1.74 mana.  This gives the deck explosive power even without hardcasting Chancellor or resolving a Past in Flames.  The goblins create a quick rush, Reverberate wrecks people's days by dealing 10 damage for 3 mana, countering counters, and just generally being a pain in the ass.

In the sideboard, tarpan is tech against Eureka decks that deal damage.

Ze Deck:

artifacts ~4

4x Ichor Wellspring

artifact creatures ~4

4x Adaptive Automaton

creatures ~12

4x Goblin Arsonist
4x Goblin Chieftan

instants ~4

4x Reverberate

lands ~21

4x Inkmoth Nexus
17x Mountain

sorceries ~15

4x Goblin Grenade
4x Infernal Plunge
4x Kuldotha Rebirth
3x Past in Flames

sideboard ~15

3x Ancient Grudge
3x Grim Lavamancer
3x Nihil Spellbomb
3x Shock
3x Tarpan

I ran a very similar deck pre-Innistrad for awhile (was just using cards from M12/New Phyrexia block just to get an idea about goblins in what would be the new standard).  It did alright, I think my biggest problem was when my opponents ran too much creature kill.  I just couldn't handle it because that's all I had to win.  I also variated on the artifacts trying different things out (equipment and wellsprings mostly), and took the kuldotha's in and out on several occassions.  It's just so annoying to have that card in hand and no artifacts out.  I wasn't running inkmoths or adaptive automoton though, which could definitely be the difference here.

Also, I'm not sold on the Chancellor's.  Honestly, opening hand, they could make the difference in the game because no one ever bothers with the token.  It provided the sacrifice for the finishing Goblin Grenade many times.  However, drawing into one the first couple turns seemed to almost lose the game for me because that's one less thing I was able to do asap.  I tried experimenting with geosurge a little, but that seemed like a fairly terrible idea when my opponents were running any kind of counters, making me hesitate against blue a lot.  However, dropping a chancellor with three or four goblins on the board if one was a warchief was almost always a win.  Infernal plunge is faster than geosurge obviously, but with the sacrifice I'd be hesitant to cast it after a few turns against anyone running counters.  However, consider throwing in some memnites.  Memnite + infernal pluge on the first turn gives you a warchief so your goblins can storm out of the gate from turn one (or a mix of smaller goblins, or adaptive automoton, getting you moving fast from turn 1).

I'm sold on the chancellors in this type of deck, I'm not sold on the NUMBER of them in the deck. 4 7 drops in a 60 card deck? =/ Not my thing when it's supposed to be low-costing.

You want to keep it quick and surprising.

Infernal plunge helps you, yeah, but depending upon that, or having to hard cast it? Just not likely enough for me. If it goes off perfect, well damn, that's a quick ****ing win.

If.

4 Chancellors are a must if you're running any, because the free turn one dude is as good (or better) than his actual comes into play ability.

The automatons are definitely sweet, also.

And both get tossed to grenade, which I heart.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Ze Deck:

artifacts ~4

4x Ichor Wellspring

4x Adaptive Automaton
4x Goblin Arsonist
4x Goblin Chieftan

instants ~4

4x Reverberate
4x Goblin Grenade
4x Infernal Plunge
4x Kuldotha Rebirth
3x Past in Flames

lands ~21

4x Inkmoth Nexus
17x Mountain

sideboard ~15

3x Ancient Grudge
3x Grim Lavamancer
3x Nihil Spellbomb
3x Shock
3x Tarpan

Rebirth needs way more artifacts to be reliable. Why not play Moxblins with reverberate for a slight combo feel? Chanceller is a terrible card btw. A potential free goblin on turn 1 is not worth the potential blank draws later. There are nice 1-cost goblins available for that spot like Spikeshot Elder.

Wellspring is great, I'm just not sure what the optimal number is of each, or if I should run only one of the two.

I had a relationship after I got divorced, and that didn't work out either, so I'm not really interested in anyone right now.  I'd love some closure, too.

I would run 4. Even though you have only one card that combo's with it, alone it's still a very solid card draw. I would look into Infernal Plunge + Chancellor combo you have. You would only get him out two turns earlier at best. And that's Infernal Plunge's only use; I would bet this holds you back big time. I would replace Past in Flames with Red Sun's Zenith. It seems like the best use you'll get out Past in Flames is Goblin Grenade. You should be able to easily see why Red Sun's Zenith is a much better in it's place. On turn five, you can deal as much damage with a single card, plus it has early game potential, is everlasting, and has the power of X. What do you think though? 

you're creepy
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
Lmao, Glux.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

You could...

-1 Ichor Wellspring
-1 Adaptive Automaton
+2 Mycosynth Wellspring

And depending on how well it does here you can, keep everything the way it is, move another playset down to 3 to add another 1 or switch the copies of the wellsprings up (ie 2 ichor and 3 mycosythn).

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

*SMACK!* In the face... Tongue out

I like this, especially because I built something very similar this weekend. Chancellor turn 0 goblins are boss. I like reverb for grenades and rebirths, esp. since it bypasses the  the additional cost. 2 rebirths off a wellspring would be in-sane. How often do you find them being dead cards?

Here's what I ran last weekend; very similar concept, yet entirely different. I may have to fit reverbs in here just to make it faster.

After seeing them in a list, I want reverb in here now. Interacts really well with Rebirth, Grenade and Plunge.
How's your consistancy?

you're creepy

@Glux
No. I'm handsome.

@miss_bun

Just to be clear, you can be attractive... and creepy. The two are not mutually exclusive.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm going to go against the grain here and not kiss butt.  Chancelor is a bad card.  In this deck, he is only going to be useful if you get him opening hand.  It's going to be very rare that you get multiple ones to make his effect good.  You are going to get hands that are far more solid if you choose good quality goblins instead of him.  Drawing a chancelor basically means you are going to have to wait many, many turns to even see him played.  By then, if you haven't won you should of already lost. 

Brimstone Volley is also strictly better then Reverberate.  Brimstone is never going to be a dead card in your hand.  You can nuke a creature or a player at any time for 3 damage.  No questions asked.  Goblin style decks like this have a tendecy to be very suicidal, such as with their grenades.     There are going to be plenty of opportunities for those goblins (or your podding opponent) to reach morbid and have it instead do 5 damage.  It isn't strictly just damage, either.  It's a way for your little goblins to get through unmolested after you take out a blocker. 

Reverberate always relies on some other card for it to do it's job.  Countering counters isn't really a great use for it.  Either you don't have the mana to combat the counter, or if you do with Reverb...then you probably could anyways by paying Mana Leak's tithe.  You are probably in a situation where countering isn't going to matter anyways if it gets that far anyways.  You've already won or are have lost control/tempo to the counter deck.   

Brimstone can always do something to help you win the game.  Reverberate always requires help.

Bankai, you're incredibly presumptuous.  If you want to participate in a group discussion, fine, but stop addressing me directly like we're having a personal conversation.  It is highly weird.

And RSZ is not going in this deck.  I'm quite aware of what the card does, thank you.  The reshuffle effect is not relevant, nor is the X cost.

I'm going to go against the grain here and not kiss butt.  Chancelor is a bad card.  In this deck, he is only going to be useful if you get him opening hand.  It's going to be very rare that you get multiple ones to make his effect good.  You are going to get hands that are far more solid if you choose good quality goblins instead of him.  Drawing a chancelor basically means you are going to have to wait many, many turns to even see him played.  By then, if you haven't won you should of already lost. 

Brimstone Volley is also strictly better then Reverberate.  Brimstone is never going to be a dead card in your hand.  You can nuke a creature or a player at any time for 3 damage.  No questions asked.  Goblin style decks like this have a tendecy to be very suicidal, such as with their grenades.     There are going to be plenty of opportunities for those goblins (or your podding opponent) to reach morbid and have it instead do 5 damage.  It isn't strictly just damage, either.  It's a way for your little goblins to get through unmolested after you take out a blocker. 

Reverberate always relies on some other card for it to do it's job.  Countering counters isn't really a great use for it.  Either you don't have the mana to combat the counter, or if you do with Reverb...then you probably could anyways by paying Mana Leak's tithe.  You are probably in a situation where countering isn't going to matter anyways if it gets that far anyways.  You've already won or are have lost control/tempo to the counter deck.   

Brimstone can always do something to help you win the game.  Reverberate always requires help.

I agree that reverberate needs help, but  Volley is not strictly better than reverberate.  You might personally argue that it is better, but it is demonstrably not strictly better.  Reverberate also copies their spells, allowing you to counter counters, copy a rampant growth, whatever.  I can see an argument for goinf down to three, but there are so many spells that this deck can copy that it already has that it is incredibly useful.  Incinerate would go here long before volley.

And I get what you are saying about the chancellor, of course.  But the fact of the matter is, with all the tokens and infernal plunge and reverberate and past in flames, he hits the table turn 4 or 5 fairly often.  And is amazing for enabling turn one plunges.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Direct damage-wise, volley's better.

HAve you considered combust at all for the sideboard by chance?

ORC_Yeti note: edited for continuity.

Hello all,

If you have an issue with an action taken by an ORC, please use the Email Us tab on our Game Support site at www.wizards.com/customerservice to discuss it. Discussions of such actions here is considered disruption.

I also edited a post for continuity to remove the deleted discussion while retaining the thoughts on the topic of the thread.

Please get back to the original topic; if the disruption continues, the thread may need to be closed.

Thanks.
If you need help, you can contact us through the Knowledge Base. You can log in there with the same account you use to post here. Having trouble accessing the Knowledge Base? Post here and we can get it fixed.
In other news,

I just like Past in Flames.

That card is so cool =] 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Instead of the chancellor, wouldn't 4x [C]memnite[/C] be a better replacement? Sure they don't have haste, but they do drop turn 1 for 0 and allow you to sac them for 3 mana to drop the chiefton. The upside being they would never be a "dead" draw (always able to play them) with the downside being, they they dont have the power/toughness of the chancellor. Just my 2 cents but memnites seem better. Also can sac them to rebirth if needed. Could also run some battlecry ( [C]Goblin Wardriver[/C], [C]Signal Pest[/C]).
I'm divorced, but yes, my ex played magic, too.  I've been playing since 2001.  That isn't really on topic though.

meeting guys on the internet...on a magic forum...who doesnt have a profile picture...
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
in other words, Keep reverberate. 
and I would keep past in flames.
chancellor is ok. not awesome. And I would EVER EVER EVER reveal him.
Yes you get a 1/1. But youre showing them than you have that in your hand and theyll just sit on a counter. Its not worth revealing; unlike the white and black ones.  
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
also, replace automations for wardrivers. 
-2 Chancellors
+2 gut shot

Its better than people give it credit for.  
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Please don't think I'm being a jerk, but you really have to experience the chancellors in this deck to appreciate their necessity. It's not so much that it's a 1/1 for free, but that it's a goblin. With 8 lords and ways to play them on turn 1, its super relevant. I also find that the chieftains/automatons get countered more than the chancellors do.

The chancellors also enable a plethora of disgusting turn 1 plays.
Please don't think I'm being a jerk, but you really have to experience the chancellors in this deck to appreciate their necessity. It's not so much that it's a 1/1 for free, but that it's a goblin. With 8 lords and ways to play them on turn 1, its super relevant. I also find that the chieftains/automatons get countered more than the chancellors do.

well allow me to come off as someone who has played Big Red with 4 Chancellors, you dont ever reveal them or you may as well say "hey kill this thing". His strognest point is coming into play and blowing things out of the water.
and its ****ing expensive to cast.
Please tell me your absurd turn 1 plays. The best I can think of is
reveal, grenade.
Thats you showing a chancellor, and exhuasting two spells in turn 1. Putting your hand down to 5 cards. Once red loses tempo it never gets it back. You have to play explosively with this deck, not micro plays.  
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw

and adaptive automation blows
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Care to elaborate as to why?
Care to elaborate as to why?

the reason that goblin chieftain is useable is he give haste. 
for (r)(1) if it gave just haste it would be awesome.
for (r)(1) and gave only +1/+1 it would be used...but people would rather pay the extra (r) for chieftain's hastening.
4 Adaptives is like running 4 far weaker chieftains. Youre better off running war drivers, who come online a turn earlier. Or on t3 leaves you one mana open to grenade or shock. 
now you pay (3) for a lord that only give +1/+1, or 2 for a wardriver that comes on earlier. 
And if youre arguing that wardriver only helps when warcrying, well youre right. But that should be the only time you should be playing red. If your blocking and on defence youre probably going to lose anyways.

My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Sign In to post comments