Does trample still hit the player if your attacking creature with trample dies?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Forgive me if this has been answered. I did alot of searching though and could not find anything that directly answers this question. Maybe its because this is such a dumb question nobody has ever had to ask.. lol.

Ok, so I have a creature that is 6/1 with trample. My oponent has a creature that is 1/1 and indestructable(No first strike). He has 5 life points left. I attack with my 6/1 trample. He blocks with his 1/1 creature. My 6/1 trample dies obviously, but what happens to the 5 trample damage? Does my trample damage carry over to the player and win the game even though my creature died in combat? Or does my creature dieing in combat prevent the trample damage from hitting the player?

I thought that trample still carries over unless the defender had first strike. I got into this scenario with someone and they swore up and down that the trample damage doesnt hit the player if it dies. After argueing for 10 minutes I just let it go and the game continued on. Now I am just wondering if what he said was actually accurate.

Thanks ahead of time guys! Once again if this question has already been answered I appologize!
Forgive me if this has been answered. I did alot of searching though and could not find anything that directly answers this question. Maybe its because this is such a dumb question nobody has ever had to ask.. lol.

Ok, so I have a creature that is 6/1 with trample. My oponent has a creature that is 1/1 and indestructable(No first strike). He has 5 life points left. I attack with my 6/1 trample. He blocks with his 1/1 creature. My 6/1 trample dies obviously, but what happens to the 5 trample damage? Does my trample damage carry over to the player and win the game even though my creature died in combat? Or does my creature dieing in combat prevent the trample damage from hitting the player?

I thought that trample still carries over unless the defender had first strike. I got into this scenario with someone and they swore up and down that the trample damage doesnt hit the player if it dies. After argueing for 10 minutes I just let it go and the game continued on. Now I am just wondering if what he said was actually accurate.

Thanks ahead of time guys! Once again if this question has already been answered I appologize!

Yes, the player is dealt damage.

All combat damage is dealt at the same time.  In your example, the 1/1 deals 1 damage to the attacker at the same time the 6/1 deals 1 damage to the blocker and 5 damage to the player.

Your 6/1 trample needs to only assign one point of damage to the 1/1 indestructible (it being indestructible doesn't change the definition of lethal damage). The other 5 can be assigned to the defending player.

Combat damage is dealt simultaneously, so if you assign damage as above, your creature will be dealt 1 damage, the 1/1 will be dealt 1 damage, and the defending player will be dealt 5 damage all at once.