Old school monsters adaptations

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, I put in this thread for me to seek old monsters adapted to current edition, but feels free guys to hijack it for the same reason, and ask for MOAR such ol' monsters you may need. (And also, adapted perhaps to PoL per se)

Specificaly currently, I am currious and may use three monsters, and perhaps a whole classs more, help me points official adaptation, or homebrewed links (like enworld)...

The Lamasu and Shedu, monsters of olddddddd but who wasn't even in 3,X I think. A... winged, sphinx-like think (but I guess I could always refluff a sphynx), and  the famous winged bull-like beings with human faces, psionic (as well?) if I remember well. It would fit my world, some regions and believes. 

Also, a monster from the largeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, thick deluxe monster book of AD&D2 days, a sort of.... monkey like beings, living in huge hordes or tribes of sort, oddly having old swords and the like... CN I think, kinda like Hordes of Chaos mode, forgot the name of them...

And bonus question... anyone, official or not, adapted the Gem Dragons to 4th-PoL? 
Aw, man, I miss gem dragons sooooooo bad.  I haven't seen any adaptations, but I had some thoughts about updating them.  Especially to bring in Sardior.  Basically, I was thinking of gem dragons as being relatives of shardminds.  A particularly powerful fragment of the Living Gate imprinted on dragons, after seeing Bahamut and/or Tiamat as it first gained consciousness.  Thus was born Sardior.  He sculpted his Thanes and his people.  I don't have all the details worked out, but it just feels right.  The old canon mentioned that Sardior had a floating castle that orbited near the moon, that he hoarded knowledge, and that he was a mischievous trickster.  Well, a fortress in the night sky seems like a particularly good bastion against the stranger stars.  And even as he guards against the Far Realm intrusion, he also studies it and amasses knowledge about it.  (What better way to keep dangerous knowledge safe than to store the only copies of said knowledge in your most secure vaults?)  Of course, that doesn't go well with Sardior's trickster spirit.  It was described that he'd rather trick somebody into reading a book and telling him about it than read the book himself.  Then again, (1) he is his own being, so why does all his motivation need to center around the Far Realm now? (2) the knowledge could be dangerous to even himself.  Perhaps using a less than innocent intermediary can help shelter his own mind.  Hey, he is unaligned.
Also, a monster from the largeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, thick deluxe monster book of AD&D2 days, a sort of.... monkey like beings, living in huge hordes or tribes of sort, oddly having old swords and the like... CN I think, kinda like Hordes of Chaos mode, forgot the name of them...

Gibberlings?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche Devil\'s Brigade

Gibberlings?

Yeah, them! I have found them in the,... FR campagn setting book though, I think.

I like the ideas of yours, Omnirak...

Another old monster.. the Leucrota of AD&D 1-2 days.  
I don't post here as uch as I used to, but I do a whole lot of converting. I am happy to post links to my stuff if anyone has any requests.

Also, this wiki has a fair bit of stuff, and could always use more contributors. community.wizards.com/communitymonsters
If you have any 4E conceptual issues or rules that you would like help with feel free to PM me. Roleplaying since 88! Guide To Dealing With Problematic Posters
I like the ideas of yours, Omnirak...

Thanks.  You know, I've been thinking about submitting something about this to Dragon or Dungeon.  I've just been debating how best to frame it.  They're not looking for updates, so that may kill it.  Cry  Even if I don't update the gem dragons myself in the proposal, it's going to cause an expectation for the update.  Still, if I do make a submission, I can see a few ways to go:

• Sardior as a Dungeon submission.  His goals and such.  History and background.  Some of his servants.  Seradess, the banished Sixth Thane.  Plot hooks.

• Sardior as a patron of psionic characters.  Powers, feats, etc.  Make a nice tie-in as Sardior as a special patron of shardminds.

• Sardior as a repository of knowledge about the stars and a repository of star pact related items.  Maybe written as a Bazaar of the Bizarre.  If his castle in the sky serves as a place to watch against the Far Realm, he probably hordes all sorts of star pact-related magic items, artifacts, and lore.  But with his approach, he's probably willing to share some of that knowledge or loan some items if he thinks that will better advance his own goals.  Be that containing a bigger threat (contain, capture, not destroy.  For studying), or furthering some other goal of his.  Honestly, this is the one that has me most drawn in, but I feel like it's wrong to reintroduce Sardior and gem dragons as star pact warlock patrons and do nothing for psionics.  Maybe a balance of both with a multiclass option or two.

Anyway, I feel like there's just too much history behind Sardior and the gem dragons to do in one Dungeon/Dragon article.  Maybe if I get enough people together, we can push for a themed issue, like the Oriental Adventures last month.  Heck, anyone else up to submit a few ideas?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread).
And I realised recently a little problem... due to the fact my world also use creations from pals, I realised with a pal that the kobolds in my world may be, or ALSO, the OLD SCHOOL kobolds... Pre-3,X, the one drawn by DiTerlizi in the famous hardcover, large AD&D2 Monsters Manual by example.

The yapping, kinda dog like ones. And I am stunted.

HOW would they be in 4th ed? Can the current Kobold be changed minimaly, removing dragonic links maybe to them? Or another, maybe feyish monster would work better?

Any suggestion of how they remake them, or someone did an old school one before? 
Also, as a possible boss for an adventure I am working on, the Crysmal thing from elemental plane of earth-elemental chaos, which was psionic if I remember well, was that updated somewhere?
don't forget the brine dragon!

hello everybody!!!!!!!

don't forget the brine dragon!

The what? Now that's an obscure one that I never heard of...
Aw, man, I miss gem dragons sooooooo bad.

Request granted? Request granted.

Pick one to begin with and I'll start today

Also, Blackwing from 3.5's MM5. Cheers folks

Amethyst always was my favorite.  Partly because I love purple, and partly because the whole spitting an exploding gemstone schtick caught my fancy.

Now, that's an amazing fellow!

Thank you kindly

Amethyst Dragons are up (Young, Adult, Elder and Ancient)

I'll do another Gem Dragon tomorrow (maybe two if I find the time). Which one next?

Thank you kindly

Amethyst Dragons are up (Young, Adult, Elder and Ancient)

I'll do another Gem Dragon tomorrow (maybe two if I find the time). Which one next?

Personaly, I say the weakest one, who was... Crystal?
Slight edit to the Elder and Ancient Amethyst Dragons, after noticing I failed to update their melee reach values for their increased size.

Also, Crystal Dragons in the works. Will post later today.
Another monster I was thinking of... 

There was a sort yeti-like but kinda feline monster from the cold north of FR lands, which was I think adapted (was it?) to 3,X, maybe Unaproachable East... Was it upated to 4th ed, and what the monster?

I have the first MM having it - AD&D2 - but it's a french version... 
Slight edit to the Adult, Elder and Ancient Amethyst Dragons to add in forgotten power limitations. They should be perfect now.

Also, Crystal Dragons done finally, though later than I expected them to be... (Young, Adult, Elder and Ancient). Someone pick the next one for me

Cheers folks
Slight edit to the Adult, Elder and Ancient Amethyst Dragons to add in forgotten power limitations. They should be perfect now.

Also, Crystal Dragons done finally, though later than I expected them to be... (Young, Adult, Elder andAncient). Someone pick the next one for me

Cheers folks

Emerald(?) - the greenish one...
Might as well go in order then XD
Might as well go in order then XD

yeah, it's at least logical
Update to the Elder Crystal Dragon. For some reason was not a "Solo" Lurker...

Also, double update! Both Emerald AND Sapphire Dragons are done!

Emerald Dragons (Young, Adult, Elder and Ancient)

Sapphire Dragons (Young, Adult, Elder and Ancient)

Topaz Dragons will be done tommorow. Anything else people think I should work on from the 3.0 or 3.5 books?
Well there's still the Obsidian Dragons - the Starscream of the gem dragons:
www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20...
Huh, well, guess I'll do those guys and EctoDragons too then.

But anything that's NOT a Dragon? I've been working on Dragon's for a few days now after all XD
Huh, well, guess I'll do those guys and EctoDragons too then.

But anything that's NOT a Dragon? I've been working on Dragon's for a few days now after all XD

True enough.  The Neothellid is kinda awesome.  Or what about that bug-riding beholderkin?  :P
Topaz are finally done. Coming up with something for the Dehydration breath was a fun challenge

Young, Adult, Elder and Ancient

Obsidians are next. Might be after christmas though. Holiday rush and all that...
Well what do you know, enough time before visiting the family to get the Obsidian's posted

Young, Adult, Elder, and Ancient

Kinda don't feel like doing the Ectos, but I will if someone really wants me to. Neothelid and Frostwind Virago might be next on the platter if I can't think of anything else I'd like to do. Any other requests?
Sorry, got... 'imposible to connect'ed last days before the Christmas stuff.

Was the old school Leucrota(spelling?) updated or reimaginated? For some reasons, this if not., 
Which book was that from?
Which book was that from?

Classic monster of the AD&D days, was in the big hardcover Monster Manual I had in AD&D2 - kinda looked like a.... horse or cervidae mixed with somethingf badger like for the head.
sadly, I have none of the books prior to the 3.0 shift, so I can't do anything from those
Sorry, got... 'imposible to connect'ed last days before the Christmas stuff.

Was the old school Leucrota(spelling?) updated or reimaginated? For some reasons, this if not., 

It hasn't been updated or reimagined yet, at least not officially.  However, it's been namechecked a couple of times in some DDI articles.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
Hey, ToeSama, I can't see any of your updates anymore.  They're all just marked as "Content Not Found."  I never even got a chance to see the Obsidians or beyond.
Looks like Sheezy took them all down... I finally fixed my once dead ImageShack account, so I'll re upload everything there over the next few days. If there's any other problems after that, let me know.

Edit: Everything's reuploaded. Links should work fine now.
Frostwind Virago (from 3.5 MMV) and Neothelid (from Expanded Psionics Handbook).

As always, still taking requests for 3e monster conversions
Another group of classic monsters.. Beholders, variant breeds and 'beholder-kins'... I liked them - somes are creepy weird and funky.

There was a good lot of them in AD&D2 days, somes adapted and more added to 3,X I seen - is there somes not adapted to 4th ed? I know, probably a lot of researches, but if it interest you guys...

I saw someone on the web who did a classic version of the Eye of the Deep, a sea dwelling beholder-kin there; dave.monkeymartian.com/?p=309