Oh Snap! Simply Fabulous Werewolves

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This deck is straightforward in approach, but much more powerful and resilient that it seems at a glance.

The Strategery:

Attack with a ton of dudes all the time.

How It Works:

What it does is, obviously, attack a lot.  The reason it works is because the offensive wall created by the combination of Full Moon's Rise and Moonmist.  Transformed Daybreak Ranger and Beast Within control the board, and Hunter's Insight refills your hand.  Snapcaster Mage recycles key cards and is a human, so it gets to swing with Mayor of Avabruck and Hamlet Captain and feel cool.

The curve is incredibly weird, with 4 cards in the one-mana slot, 20 in the two-mana slot, and 15 in the three-mana slot, but it works, because the deck will be casting two to four spells a turn after turn three.  This is definitely a  midgame deck, but Caravan Vigil and insights (combined with snapcaster) give you plenty of gas in the late game.

creatures ~20

4x Daybreak Ranger
4x Hamlet Captain
4x Mayor of Avabruck
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Villagers of Estwald

enchantments ~4

4x Full Moon's Rise

instants ~11

3x Beast Within
4x Hunter's Insight
4x Moonmist

lands ~21

11x Forest
4x Hinterland Harbor
1x Island
1x Mountain
4x Rootbound Crag

sorceries ~4

4x Caravan Vigil

sideboard ~15

3x Ancient Grudge
3x Autumn's Veil
3x Hex Parasite
3x Nihil Spellbomb
3x Negate

Questions, comments, criticisms, and suggestions welcome as always.

This deck is in honor of Van!

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

Snapcaster Mage always flips your Wolves back to Human. I'm not seeing much that he's doing here anyway.

Hunter's Insight doesn't draw that much, does it? Caravan Vigil seems kind of terrible.
Snapcaster flipping dudes is okay though, because of the combination of captain, mayor, and moonmist (your prime  snapcaster target.)  And you can easily play him after combat if you just wanna snag a beast within or caravan vigil or something.  And full moon's rise ensures your dudes are pretty big no matter what.

Vigil is absolutely not terrible; it ensures you hit all your land drops, as well as providing lots of tempo once combat gets rolling.  And insight will rarely draw fewer than three cards, a pretty great deal for three mana.

Try it!

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

I'm not sold on g/u werewolves....  the r/g is pretty good
It is, but this isn't really u/g wolves... I think monogreen has a lot of power and consistency, and a splash of blue for snapcaster is what makes it.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Seems okay, but with your curve topping at 3, you really don't need 4 Caravan Vigil, go down to 3 on that, and throw in something game-changing, like 1 Red Sun's Zenith.  If it gets milled, you can Flash it into your deck, and you now have a mana sink you can cast multiple times in a single game. If you don't like it, just look for any finsher, but the one thing this deck does not need is 4 Caravan Vigils
It definitely needs it!  It fixes and ramps the deck for the late game when you're casting lots of spells, and ensures you don't miss any drops.  I couldn't find a better one drop, although I was tempted to run Birds of Paradise.  They seem so bleh for a deck with only eight nongreen mana symbols in costs, and the vigils smooth out your draws a bit as well.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

I like the idea of splashing blue. I played against a couple of red/green werewolf decks at FNM last night, and they were wholly underwhelming. This may be the way to go! Maybe toss in a couple of frost giants?
I can see from your name why you might suggest that, but no.

I'm tempted to add more blue for maybe Ponder or Mana Leak, but I feel like it would dilute the deck.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

Instead of either of those wutabout Tezzeret's Gambit? That way if you don't have the mana you can still cast it.
I am Blue/Black
I thought about that, and it isn't out of consideration, but I think he was talking about one drops.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0