Overwhelming Saddness

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lilianna, is around $70 dollars on seller sites......I am just going to go sit in a corner and reflect on the good old days. When this game did not require me to invest so much money into it.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
I know, it's annoying. I've just resorted to trading because it costs so much to play a good deck nowadays. 
don't worry, she'll go down when people realize that the only deck she's any good in was mediocre at the only actual tournament...

or it might end up like Pod where once people realized after some tweaking, the deck could work really well... in which case, the price will stabilize, if not go up.

I'm glad I got my first x2 Stromkirk's in my boxes, but I hate the fact that I had to fork over $16 for my second two.

don't worry, she'll go down when people realize that the only deck she's any good in was mediocre at the only actual tournament...

Oh damn, you know the meta for the next few sets!?

Quit teasing and tell us what to invest in!
So before I start my rant I have to preface by saying I am total noob.  I played my w/g human deck against what I assume is solar flare.  It beat me, I have no qualms about that.  But what I do have qualms about is how boring it was to play her, It turned into a 12+ turn battle which involved both of us just top decking, which means humans had petered out.  It was extremely monotonous and couldn't have been much fun for him either.  

Furthermore, I am really ticked nobles went up I just wanted a for fun vampire deck.
was this on MWS? were you against me?
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
were you against me?

The world is against you, Glux.

Photobucket My Trade Thread: The_Fringer's Mercantile Plane (Updated: 1/13/11)
Meh, there's 2 really big factors inflating her price right now.

1. She did well at the first big tourney of the meta. 6 Solar Flares in top 32 puts her in a deck-to-beat.

2. People are scrambling HARD to put together lists for states. This means that despite the appeal of selling Lily for $60 in cash, a lot of people won't let go of her until after 2 weeks from now.

You can apply those effects to snapcaster, as well. At this point, me and my friends are essentially pooling our lilys and snapcasters for a single solar flare deck, and the other 2 guys are going to play Hex/Blade and RDW.

Photobucket
Meh, there's 2 really big factors inflating her price right now.

1. She did well at the first big tourney of the meta. 6 Solar Flares in top 32 puts her in a deck-to-beat.

2. People are scrambling HARD to put together lists for states. This means that despite the appeal of selling Lily for $60 in cash, a lot of people won't let go of her until after 2 weeks from now.

You can apply those effects to snapcaster, as well. At this point, me and my friends are essentially pooling our lilys and snapcasters for a single solar flare deck, and the other 2 guys are going to play Hex/Blade and RDW.

she also had camera time in legacy

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Link? I didn't see her in any of the top16 for the SCG event.

Photobucket
If you crack one, sell it, and just play a different deck.

Link? I didn't see her in any of the top16 for the SCG event.

not top 16... just camera time (gerry T)

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

Oh damn, you know the meta for the next few sets!?

Quit teasing and tell us what to invest in!

Did I say she was going to be bad in the next few sets?  No.  I said that, based on what we know so far, she's not really that great.  You're such an obvious troll that you have hexproof and : Regenerate.

So before I start my rant I have to preface by saying I am total noob.  I played my w/g human deck against what I assume is solar flare.  It beat me, I have no qualms about that.  But what I do have qualms about is how boring it was to play her, It turned into a 12+ turn battle which involved both of us just top decking, which means humans had petered out.  It was extremely monotonous and couldn't have been much fun for him either.  

Furthermore, I am really ticked nobles went up I just wanted a for fun vampire deck.

Sorry, but some people like games that don't involve "who can drop creatures fastest and turn them sideways"

On flare at scg open:  It may have gotten a few top 32s, but got beaten to the top by aggro.  It might get better with well-tuned sideboards, but based on the only data we have, it really isn't as format-dominating as u/w caw, and therefore its mythics don't deserve similar prices.  

Its not that it wasn't an aggressive deck, its that it was extremely monotonous.  I have no problems with strategy as long as it can do something effeciently which it wasn't, plus I return to the fact that it wasn't fun/interesting for either of us.  But winning is winning I guess.  
Do not really care about what decks they are in. I remember back when Ravagers were out, you get get them for 20 (That was around the price for any standard chase rare). Now adays planeswalkers open above 30, and people will inflat the price of any card that looks good.

Its stupid, its ridiculous, and its bad for the game.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Do not really care about what decks they are in. I remember back when Ravagers were out, you get get them for 20 (That was around the price for any standard chase rare). Now adays planeswalkers open above 30, and people will inflat the price of any card that looks good.

at least, by contrast, a number of other important cards are cheaper

Photobucket

Lillana is great in one deck...

A Must Have to compete, she is not.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)

at least, by contrast, a number of other important cards are cheaper

Not the point I am trying to make, because their is always cards that are played heavilly and cheaper. Its just people take some cards and put them up on a golden angelic pedastal and the price becomes very very inflated. Tarmogoyf is about the only card that I can agree with in the last long stretch of time that should have went about 20-30 dollars. He is played in every format is and the BEST 2 drop in magic.
[Goyf is] the BEST 2 drop in magic.

Not really. Bob, SFM and Tiago all are rising to the challenge really. Goyf hasn't been THAT relevant in years.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Bob I will give you is a strong contender. SFM and Tiago, ill pass on.

It really comes down to an opinion thing. On my best two drop list I have Bob at number 2, but it all comes down to personal opinion :D

Edit:

Does not help my case but its just a good video.
I'd rather play all other three 2 drops before I considered playing Goyf. No matter how big he is, he's still just a valueless creature (amagaad dies to removal!!11!).
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Honestly, I don't think it really comes down to personal opinion.  Almost no one will tell you that goyf is better than bob or SFM.
liliana and snapcaster mage are going to be best friends until they rotate, and even then into the eternal formats.

liliana is a better jace beleren. remember that guy?

I don't like the implication that the high price of magic is all the fault of us players.  Or are you implying that the dealers are at fault?  Either way, something is wrong when blame is being assigned for high card prices and R&D gets none of it.
I've been saying for a while that R&D needs to stop deck building in development and shoot for a more balanced game. This would undoubtedly fix some of the price problems.

But also I hate when people are like, "SCG or CF are selling card x for $y" use your heads people and go to EBay for your money cards they are like 60-70% of the cost, complaining about the price on these other sites is just dumb.

Inflation. Learn about it.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Why buy four Snapcaster Mage's @ $120 when you can just buy a booster box, get a few and trade for what you don't get? Paying big money for singles makes no sense.
Why buy four Snapcaster Mage's @ $120 when you can just buy a booster box, get a few and trade for what you don't get? Paying big money for singles makes no sense.

hahahahaha
As a budget spike, it's immensely frustrating. I look at the prices and think "Well, I'm not playing any deck with black for the next year or so". That goes for blue too, there won't be a single deck without the snapcaster in it that runs blue. Although I realize snapcaster may be me being a bit of a miser, I wish they wouldn't print cards that are both so good and so universally good. It just makes the price for that card skyrocket for any deck I want to make precisely because any deck someone wants to make needs that card.

hahahahaha

I fail to see the validty in your argument.

hahahahaha

That's because the math in yours is wrong.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

hahahahaha

That's because the math in yours is wrong.

& it isn't even close to being right.
The fact that Wizards releases 4 booster packs and a Core set every year is the biggest dishonest, money grabbing catastrophy of them all.  I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundo on magic each year, but when that happens every three months it just gets ridiculous.  This newly annointed nerd has better **** to do.
The fact that Wizards releases 4 booster packs and a Core set every year is the biggest dishonest, money grabbing catastrophy of them all.  I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundo on magic each year, but when that happens every three months it just gets ridiculous.  This newly annointed nerd has better **** to do.

For one thing they only release three sets each year and a core set. And for another thing they have been doing this for a long time so I don't see how that is relevant, not only that but they actually reduced the number of cards in the sets which lowered the price of all of the rares because it became easier to obtain them. And finally unless you are some really competitive player or have some compulsion to buy a booster box of each set that comes out then I don't know how you spend hundreds of dollars on it.

Thank you for Reading
Nah, I just put off playing magic for the longest time because of the social suicide it would have been.  But, I am old and married now and am very into how cool this game is, then I find out it is just like every other thing made for nerds... Milk them for everything they are worth because they are too desperate to walk away and do something else.  I am trying to be the second person because I have a major issue spending my earned money on a piece of cardboard that cost this company about $.003 to produce.

Because for $120 I can get EXACTLY what I want I want and i'm done.  Buying a box requires me to sift through pack after pack of pure crap or trash i'll have to sell or trade.  Trade... gross.  Sorry if I don;t want to hang out at a comic shop with a bunch of booger-flickers basking in the overwhelming stench of BO while I try to convince these sunlight deprived anti-socials that it is ok to talk to strangers as long as you are a grown adult.

Because for $120 I can get EXACTLY what I want I want and i'm done.  Buying a box requires me to sift through pack after pack of pure crap or trash i'll have to sell or trade.  Trade... gross.  Sorry if I don;t want to hang out at a comic shop with a bunch of booger-flickers basking in the overwhelming stench of BO while I try to convince these sunlight deprived anti-socials that it is ok to talk to strangers as long as you are a grown adult.

You really need to take the attitude somewhere else. Preferable somewhere with people who care.

It's a shame snapcaster wasn't included in either of the event decks, though it seems like a shoe-in for the next round of event decks.

We will see how solar flare holds up to dedicated meta hate next week. I'm banking on someone getting some success with Chandra and Land Destruction next week, especially as more and more people acquire the cards for solar flare.

Photobucket
Lily just hit 70. *le sigh* I just wanted her for casual damnit!

Almost positive I used the word correctly.

I don't like the implication that the high price of magic is all the fault of us players.  Or are you implying that the dealers are at fault?  Either way, something is wrong when blame is being assigned for high card prices and R&D gets none of it.

R&D has always been producing good cards, the difference being now a card that might have cost you around 80-100 dollars years ago for a playset, now can cost you 150-200+ dollars for said playset.

It is not R&D's fault, it is the dealers for bringing prices to such extremes and the players for still buying it.

Get mad at R&D when they print a set full of bad cards, not when they print set with good ones.

Honestly, I don't think it really comes down to personal opinion.  Almost no one will tell you that goyf is better than bob or SFM.

I like my Goyf's not asking you to agree with me. If you want I can give both of them the first slot since they sorta fall into two different two drop categorys.

Almost positive I used the word correctly.

Wrong kind of inflation. You mentioned that Ravagers cost $20 in Standard. That adjusts to $25 in modern prices. Once that's taken into account, average card prices are actually pretty much the same as they were, mostly because Rare cards have dropped a LOT, while Mythics are the expensive ones. Artificial supply issues are the only reason for ridiculous prices for which this cannot account (two weeks of product isn't enough to bring Liliana into a reasonable price range).

Strangely enough, I've never had a problem getting the cards I need buy buying a booster box and trading. I guess I must be exceptionally lucky. I have bought cards from time-to-time, but not often.

Regardless, the price of Snapcaster and Lil are blown out of proportion at the moment. Hopefully people will wise up, stop letting themselves get robbed by buying these cards at current retail and the prices will stabilize.
Sign In to post comments