Moogle character race?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm basically trying to create a moogle (from the FF series) character race. I was thinking using a halfling or gnome as a base class then just changing all the racial abilities.
Some of the ideas I've had were lowering their base speed to 5 and giving them a racial encounter ability to allow them to fly as a move action with a speed of base + Dex modifier, lasting till the end of next turn and allowing them to hover. then skill bonuses to arcana and either insight or dungeoneering. 

I'm looking for other ideas for racial abilities and constructive criticism on this idea.
Well, a suggestion and I mean this nicely and constructively.  There is at least one Moogle homebrew race I've seen on here.  If you haven't already, search either the Homebrew or Races forums and you should find it.  There may be more then one, wouldn't be surprised, and that might help you with some ideas for racial traits and whatnot.

I would say if you want to do a racial encounter flight power, just leave it to their speed, till the end of their turn and if they don't land they descend gently.  It's nice and simple that way.  Plus there are feats to increase base speed and thus would increase flight for later on, and then you have room to make a feat or two to enhance the flight.

You could, if you wanna have fun, make a Moogle epic destiny that gives them a death saving ability that actually works on other people maybe.  To kinda evoke the feel of them being walking save points in some FF games, could be amusing.  Or have it work on themselves OR others.

I would, skill wise, say maybe Arcana and History.  Moogles know like everything, the little buggers!     
Thank you, I will search for other homemade moogle races for ideas. Also I like your history idea as a skill.
Ok this is what I'm ending up with so far.

Moogle   (small natural humanoid)

Small winged creatures of the fey wild noted for their ingenuity.

Height:  3' - 4'
weight: 30-60 lbs

Ability scores: +2 Charisma, +2 to Dexterity or Intelligence
Size: Small
Speed: 5
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common and Elven

Skill bonuses: +2 Arcana and History

Racial Traits:

Skillful Ingenuity: Gain training in one additional skill selected from the following list. Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, History, Insight and Thievery.

Winged Adventurer: You ignore the first 10ft of falling dmg. This bonus increases to 20ft at lvl 11 and 30ft at lvl 21. This reduction is applied before reducing the damage in half if you make a trained acrobatics check.

Small: As a small creature you have restrictions in combat. You cannot use a two handed weapon unless it has the small property. When you use a versatile weapon, such as a longsword, you must weild it two handed, without getting the normal +1 bonus to dmg for using it in that manner.

Fey Origin: You are considered a fey creature the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.

Flight: You have the Flight encounter power.

Flight:   Moogle Racial Utility
Encounter
Minor Action       Range: Personal
Effect: You gain a fly speed equal to your speed +1 until the end of your next turn. If you do not land by the end of your next turn you fall

I would like to thank ShadowGaurd for giving me ideas from his very detailed posts on the Races of Ivalice thread.
Also I'm looking for any constructive criticism on this version of the moogle race. Just trying my best to keep it balanced with the other races.

I LOVE MOOGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, down to buisness. The Flight power is good, as are the traits. I see no reason why moogles cant have a speed of 6, though.

Now go get to work on some chocobo mounts :D I'll work toghether with you on em. ;)

Actually for 3.5 I made some chocobo stats. Bascially take the stats for a horse increase speed, decrease, carrying capacity and str. I also increased their jump skill (I guess athletics now).
I'll have to take a look and see how it should differ from the 4E horse. Any Ideas?

As for the speed of the moogles I decreased it due to their short stubby legs. It's also why I gave them the Flight power to try and make up for it. They also seemed to walk slower in FFXII which were the moogle's I had in mind when I was creating this. I was however thinking of giving them another racial trait to make up for the slower speed as it seems that dwarves were given extra traits for their slower movement. Maybe something like some sort of Dodge ability adding +1 to reflex or something. I just didn't want it to be too powerful.

Pffffffft, 3.5 :P

First, moogle speed: Halflings are also small, with short legs, and a move speed of 6.  But yes, i suppose that an increase of 1 to AC or Reflex could make up for the speed.

I think that for chocobos, we should have them all have similar stats, but each color should have a different power, like in tactics and tactics a2.

Ok for halfling speeds, 4E was the first edition where they could move as fast as humans. Back in 3.5 they had a speed of 4 which was too slow. But I like both versions and before I get into a debate btw the two versions back to Chocobo's.

The Chocobo's should be a large magical birdlike creature (similar to the ostrich). They should have greater speed and agility than a horse but have less endurance and raw str. They should also have a large bonus to athletics checks.
I would give every colour of Chocobo's a Choco Beak attack and for the yellow ones for sure if not all of them, Trample.
If you are thinking more of the tactics ones you could start by giving the yellow ones a Choco Cure ability.

Choco Cure
Encounter
Standard action           Range: Close burst 1
Target: All creatures in burst
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and recover 1d6 additional hit points.

Hmm, choco cure should only be 1/encounter,  i think 2 would be too much, and you ought to change the wording to each ally in the burst

Alright heres blacks ability, Choco Flame

Choco Flame

Encounter

Standard Action      One enemy

+11/20/34 vs relflex

2d6/3d6/4d6(by tier) fire damage and ongoing 10/20/30 fire damage(save ends)

And should we make choco beak an at will, maybe a combined attack with his riders MBA when they charge?

I left it at each creature because in tactics enemy chocobo's could cure you if they used that power beside you. But yeah, making it 1/encounter is probably better.

Choco Beak
At Will
Standard Action
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature) +6 vs AC
Hit: 2d6+3 damage

As for the Choco Flame, Black Chocobo's should be the paragon tier version of Chocobo's and should only be using one dmg type and maybe only ongoing 5 or 10 fire dmg. I would almost look to the nightmare for reference.

Choco beak is good,just make the accuarcy and damage scale, ill do a couple more specific powers here.

Blue Chocos get choco meteor if i remember correctly.

Choco Meteor

Encounter    Burst 2 within 20 squares

Standard Action     Each creature in the burst

+11/20/30 vs reflex

1d10/2d10/3d10 damage, and the target is knocked prone.

Alright, and perhaps this will be for red chocos

Choco Guard

Encounter      Close Burst 1

Minor Action   Each creature in the burst

The  target gains a plus 2 bonus to all defenses until the end of its next turn and can make a saving throw with a +2 bonus.

Editied Choco Flame with accuarcy scaling, bonuses to attacks are taken from the MM., i recommend you change Choco Beaks accuracy to +13/23/33

I believe it was the red ones that got Meteor and I don't remember the blue ones at all but I didn't play tactics 2 and I'm only about 2/3 way through tactics 1 right now. Were the blue ones tougher than the red ones? Black ones? Yellow ones?
Later tonight I could probably make the actual monster cards for them using Monster builder. But I want to know their reletive difficulties as I'm using the Yellow ones as a base starting at probably lvl6 or 7.

As for Choco Gaurd you didn't state how long it should be in effect to. probably something like till end of your next turn and the bonus to saves will most likely be way too high maybe just a +2 bonus as well.

For MeteorI might even consider mimicking meteor swarm from the wizard daily but toning it down a notch.
I believe it was the red ones that got Meteor and I don't remember the blue ones at all but I didn't play tactics 2 and I'm only about 2/3 way through tactics 1 right now. Were the blue ones tougher than the red ones? Black ones? Yellow ones?
Later tonight I could probably make the actual monster cards for them using Monster builder. But I want to know their reletive difficulties as I'm using the Yellow ones as a base starting at probably lvl6 or 7.

As for Choco Gaurd you didn't state how long it should be in effect to. probably something like till end of your next turn and the bonus to saves will most likely be way too high maybe just a +2 bonus as well.

For MeteorI might even consider mimicking meteor swarm from the wizard daily but toning it down a notch.

You could be right, maybe the blue ones had guard and the red had meter. They all had similar Hp, just different abilites.

Good idea, ill go edit choco guard.

You should probably put them all around late heroic level to start, with scaling powers.

Heres the stats for a Celestial Charger (level 10 version of the horse)

Str 23 Dex 17 Wis 15 Con 23 Int 3 Cha 15

Want me to list anything else?

No I think I have enough reference here. Thank you for your help though. I'll be sure to post when I finish each one on here and If I can find a way to post the card directly to here I will (I'm not the greatest at computers). Even if I have to print out a copy then scan it as a document and then insert it back into here.
No problem, ill be looking forward to seeing the complete mounts if you can figure it out
The Yellow Chocobo is in the Monster Builder (I think all the monsters are shared).

Here is the Yellow Chocobo. I don't think I will be able to finish the other colours tonight but you will see them over the next month appear. I will post each one on this thread as they come up.

I boosted the creatures str from my original idea of giving it a 17 str. This was due to the fact that I never realized how lame they put the moving while encumbered rules. With the original str the yellow chocobo could carry 212.5 lbs and anything over that their speed gets dropped to 2 as they fall under the slowed condition. Which IMO is very lame as a full grown human in chainmail and a saddle bag with equipment would slow this creature down to 2. Horses are not that much better either which IMO is not realistic at all. To be slowed down at that weight would've been fine but not going from a speed of 12 down to 2 or in the case of a riding horse 10 down to 2. With it's current str it's carrying capacity is 250 lbs. before being reduced to 2. Or I also have a suggestion for mounts only. When it reaches heavy load speed is reduced by 4 instead of gaining the slowed condition. To me this makes more sense as a heavily burdened horse could still walk at a pace normally attained by a lightly encumbered human which seems realistic to me. If you choose to use that Homebrew rule or something similar I would recommend reducing the yellow chocobo's str back down to 17.

sorry I can't figure out how to crop it so the image is larger and easier to see
Yeah, you should probably houserule that move decreased by 4 in. I love the stat blocks! , and good job giving them trample, maybe you ought to give them a clumsy fly speed, they do fly to move sometimes.
I might give some of the higher leveled ones a fly power similar to the moogles but for a larger bird like that they mostly are used for running. Again I am trying to base them more on the FFVII, FFX and FFXII versions of the chocobo (the 3 that I played the most of). I might even make a lower leveled yellow one without the choco cure as more of a common mount.
This link should bring you to a larger picture of the creature.

i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x334/DMan06...
Get rid of the Moogle's Dodge feature, their ability bonuses already give them +1 Refl and Will, they don't need a racial defense boost, those are reserved for races whose ability bonuses both apply to the same defense.

Apart from that, the race looks good. Liking the chocobos as well.
Funny I was literally just reading fireclaves guide to creating PC races and was going to do that. Thank you for pointing it out though.

I'm trying to think of 1 or 2 minor traits to add to maybe help balance out the 5 speed. I do believe that the slower land speed adds to what I see the race as but don't want to leave it with just the 2 major traits and the power.

I made some changes to the moogle race.
Moogle   (small natural humanoid)

Small winged creatures of the fey wild noted for their ingenuity.

Height:  3' - 4'
weight: 30-60 lbs

Ability scores: +2 Charisma, +2 to Dexterity or Intelligence
Size: Small
Speed: 5
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common and Elven

Skill bonuses: +2 Arcana and History

Racial Traits:

Skillful Ingenuity: Gain training in one additional skill selected from the following list. Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, History, Insight and Thievery.

Winged Adventurer: You ignore the first 10ft of falling dmg. This bonus increases to 20ft at lvl 11 and 30ft at lvl 21. This reduction is applied before reducing the damage in half if you make a trained acrobatics check.

Small: As a small creature you have restrictions in combat. You cannot use a two handed weapon unless it has the small property. When you use a versatile weapon, such as a longsword, you must weild it two handed, without getting the normal +1 bonus to dmg for using it in that manner.

Fey Origin: You are considered a fey creature the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.

Moogle Weapon Training: Moogle, in their love for all things mechanical gain weapon proficiency for the crossbow and hand crossbow.

Flight: You have the Flight encounter power.

Flight:   Moogle Racial Utility
Encounter
Move Action       Range: Personal
Effect: You gain a fly speed equal to your speed +1 until the end of your next turn. If you do not land by the end of your next turn you fall

This looks very good to me. I just have a couple of minor points that I'd like to make:

1) I would remove Moogle Weapon Training. This is a cultural feature, not an innate feature, so it likely shouldn't be a part of their racial mechanics. Also, it's pretty much useless anyway to any character that doesn't already have proficiency in those weapons from their class.

2) Having a winged race that doesn't fly can be frustrating, so I tackled the problem by creating a racial power for at-will gliding. Check it out in the Genasi remake in my sig if you like.

3) Their racial power should probably be a minor action, not a move action. The reason that I say this is that, as currently written, the character is only spending a move action to gain a fly speed, not to actually use it. Making it a minor action would allow the character to actually use that fly speed in the same turn. Either that or make the effect read as:
Effect: You fly your speed +1 and gain a fly speed equal to your speed +1 until the end of your next turn. If you do not land by the end of your next turn you fall.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I understand what you mean about the fly power and my wording on it. Thank you for pointing out that by making it a minor action would fix the wording on that.
I made this flight power with a few things in mind of what I wanted out of the race.
First off is that I wanted to show that a winged race that is seen to be flying in the video games to actually fly.
Second was that because they are seen mostly to be flying for short periods of time or just aiding themselves to get to higher landing of some sort (I'm basing this mostly from FFXII). I believe that the shorter flying periods are due to their smaller wings in comparison to their body. Most likely they would not be able to support extended flight without some magical enhancement.
Lastly a lot of the previous moogle races I looked at for ideas didn't have a fly power or they just gave them a constant fly speed which IMO is really powerful for a PC race and just makes the DM's (me) job harder. This is how I came to give them the "Flight" power so as to show that they can fly without it being a game breaker.

As for the weapon training I was having second thoughts on it anyways. Mostly for the second reason you stated, being that it is pretty much useless as with the exception of a very few classes everyone would have that training anyways. I might make it a heroic tier racial feat as an option for those few classes to take.

Changes are now completed on the moogle race.
As much as I can recall, chocobos come in yellow (field), red (mountain), light blue (reef), dark blue (sea), black, green, and gold (true flight).

The yellow is the most common variety and would likely be a common ordinary mount.

The red chocobo would have terrain walk (mountain), the light blue terrain walk (shallow water), the dark bue could walk on water, and the gold could grant flight. Perhaps the green would have terrain walk (jungle)? I'm not sure what the black chocobo would have.

Most chocobos are not overty magical except for the gold chocobo because of their flight. However that does not mean they can't have any magical abilities...Especially if one might be the mount of a mage or other magic user or even breeder.

Defining characteristics of chocobos are their speed, jumping ability, and Kweh! call.

Some might be trained to be good at finding treasure like a swine can find truffles.

And that's my two cents...good luck! ^_^ I want to see them as I've been wanting to build mounts for my home campaign use.
The Black Chocobo is up in Monster Builder now. I won't be able to post the picture till thursday. Hopefully by then I will have the red one done.

@Mythril Sage, Thank you for the ideas on the Chocobo's. I might just stop with the two versions of yellow, black and red ones.
Red Chocobo is now up in Monster Builder. I will hopefully have both the black and red ones posted directly here by early next week, along with a more common yellow one that could be used for a low level mount without the healing ability.
It just occured to me that the black chocobo might have the shadow origin. Just thinking.