10/10/2011 Draft Simulator

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Booster Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I am honestly unsure if it was better to go U/W or U/B in this draft, but either way it is STACKED. Looking at the top picks though, it seems a lot of the other colors were too. I went U/B. As always, comments made as I was drafting.

Round 1:
Mind Control - Dear GODS this pack is absolutely STACKED! Mind Control, a huge dragon, even Thran Golem! ...okay maybe not Thran Golem. Mind Control wins over the mythic unfortunately. It was the second most powerful card in M11 limited, and in the currented limited it might even pass beyond that. In general, unless you have a planeswalker, Mind Control is always the pick. And even then, Mind Control wins over some of them. It's actually kind of amazing such a bomb in limited sees no constructed play.
Phantasmal Dragon - Ooooo yeah, blue is us! I like the Dragon. It's fragile, but it's still better than the alternatives. It usually is at least a 1 for 1, and if it isn't, we just board it out.
Merfolk Looter - Innnnnnteresting. Vampire Outcasts is an absolute bomb, no doubting that. And Soin's Thirst is removal. However, white seems open too... normally, I'd take the Outcast, but frankly with such a huge bomb in our deck the looter goes way up in value. Quite frankly, I think I'm being too safe, but I've had drafts blow up in my face for being greedy way too much lately.
Divination - Huh, seems we are... punished? Grave digger is a good card after all. But Divination is fine too, and I don't want to fight for blue or black.
Merfolk Looter - Hell yeah! Another looter! The Drake is good, but at this rate, it might actually TABLE!
Mind Unbound - Okay, I admit we're just being silly here. But it can take over games, and who knows? We might go all in on a mill deck.
Onyx Mage - Seriously? Well if you're going to go into another color, this is a card to do it with. Where should we have started taking black? I like having two looters... probably Child of Night over Mind Unbound I suppose.
Wring Flesh - Removal is removal. And it's even fairly good removal.
Ice Cage - Hm, Ice Cage or Distress? I think... Ice Cage, but it's close. We might end up splashing black if things go bad after all.
Drifting Shade - Wow, what a lot to wheel. I choose you... hm... Aven Fleetwing or Drifting Shade... I guess the Shade. If we do go heavy black, it's awesome. If we don't, it's not that much worse than the Fleetwing.
Sorin's Thirst - Oh dear gods, these AIs... removal > counter.
Amphin Cutthroat - I'm actually happy to get a solid body here, our curve is a little on the small utility creature side.
Unsummon - Very happy to wheel this.
Merfolk Mesmerist - Oh hey, we really could go all in on a mill deck.
Mountain

Round 2:
Sorin's Thirst - Not a very impressive pack, but removal is removal.
Vampire Outcasts - Someone in white will be very happy, but I don't want to switch from black at this point. Actually, that's a fair question: IS it worth switching from black to white? Lets see, we lose Sorin's Thirst x 2, Wring Flesh, and Drifting Shade. In exchange, we gain Aegis Angel, a very good bomb. However, we also have a Vampire Outcasts in this pack. If we cound those in the loss pile... not worth it, though it is VERY close.
Zombie Goliath - I am regretting not taking that Angel. If we had, Alabaster mage would be an exvellent pick. As it is, we must content ourselves with either Cancel or Zombie Goliath. Hm... Cancel will almost definitely wheel, so Goliath.
Doom Blade - ...never mind. We are rewarded heavily! Okay, lets see, the Mage or the Blade? Um... Blade. We have some card draw already, and as much as it pains me to pass the Mage, I mean PHYSICALLY pains me, the Blade is just that much better.
Merfolk Looter - Is there a limit to the number of Merfolk Looters you can run in a deck? If there is, I don't want to know about it.
Bloodrage Vampire - Wow, white is... sort of the color to be in? I am honestly unsure if it or black is more insane. It seems to be more consistent, but Doom Blade! Okay, um... I guess... Bloodrage Vampire. We don't really have any 1 drops, and Bloodthirst as a theme is something I'm not interested in.
Warpath Ghoul - Yes! We wheeled Warpath Ghoul! Or Dark Power... hm... I suppose Monomania is a card too, but it seems slow and rather unreliable. Okay, we have ten creatures we want to run so far, and very few have reliable power. That makes Ghoul the pick.
Divination - We want creatures, but not badly enough to take the Seeker. And we want sideboard options, but not badly enough to take the Elixer over cards.
Warpath Ghoul - Oh hey a second ghoul, sweet.
Negate - I don't think the mill deck is a good idea at this point. Negate is good in the sideboard.
Divine Favor - This is the strongest card here.
Phantasmal Bear - Ditto.
Mesa Enchantress - If we pass Taste of Blood, maybe we can trick someone into running it!
Flight - Okay.
Forest

Round 3:
Drifting Shade - Packs with all crap are horrible. Packs with all awesome are easy. Packs like this that are so so all around and have multiple on color picks are an interesting thought exercise. Let's see... Drake, Shade, or Leak? We have 13 creatures, though some we'd be happy to put on the side line. We have 1 counter spell we won't even be running main deck. We... hm... you know what, Shade. The leak might wheel, and we need another finisher. The Drake is good, but we're not that agressive. We need inevitability, not quick damage.
Zombie Goliath - This pack on the other hand, not so difficult. Um... Goliath or Flashfreeze? Or maybe Distress... eh, Goliath.
Belltower Sphinx - Oooo, I like the looks of the Belltower Sphinx. Granted, I also like the looks of Child of Night and Divination, but we have a bunch of two drops already, and two Divinations.
Aether Adept - Oooo I like!
Brink of Disaster - Ummmm... screw it. We have enough creatures, and we don't want to be too agressive. Slow removal is still removal. We might just board it in against super creature or bomb heavy decks, but I'd rather it than the bear.
Child of Night - Oh hey, got a child of night after all.
Unsummon - Tempted to get Redirect for the sideboard, but Unsummon is just better. It can bounce back our Ether Adept so we can play it again! Wait...
Phantasmal Image - Ooooo I want that Ponder bad, but you don't pass something this awesome.
Phantasmal Bear - Seems I was right not to pick the bear.
Goblin Arsonist - ...seriously? Seriously. Three goblins. Two of which are decent. What the heck? I guess we take the one that is most likely to kill our dragon.
Lifelink - Same logic as the goblin.
Turn to Frog - Oh hey, a removal spell! Sort of.
Stave Off - This is a good card. Like... why is it here?
Bountiful Harvest - Blech.
Forest

I am honestly unsure when I should have moved into black, though it is clearly sooner than I actually did. Looking at some of the other first picks are insane, but we have a fair few things to take advantage of that and a couple of bombs of our own. Honestly, I am very happy with this deck, though it could be better. I am pretty sure there's a rule somewhere that states in a deck with Mind Control + three Merfolk Looter, the opponent is forced to insta concede.
This draft went pretty well, it could have gone a couple ways, but I am very happy with the results.

Round 1:
Furyborn Hellkite <--Bomb! but the Mind Control was tempting, but red is the strongest color in m12 in my opinion 
Phantasmal Dragon <--Just passed Mind Control and this card can be huge, I like staying open to blue
Vampire Outcasts <-- R/B bloodthirst is a strong archetype, this card is really good in it
Stormblood Berserker <--Perfect card for R/B bloodthirst
Skywinder Drake <--Take in case blue is open
Child of Night 
Duskhunter Bat <--This card is perfect for R/B bloodthirst, it is both an enabler and has bloodthirst itself
Duskhunter Bat
Goblin Tunneler<--Bloodthirst enabler
Goblin War Paint
Sorin's Thirst <--Solid late removal spell
Goblin Arsonist <--awesome bloodthirst enabler
Firebreathing
Merfolk Mesmerist
Mountain

Round 2:
Sorin's Thirst <--Removal
Vampire Outcasts  <--Chandra's Outrage was really tempting, but this can be a bomb more often
Alabaster Mage <--nothing better
Doom Blade
Shock
Goblin Fireslinger <--another gteat bloodthirst enabler
Reassembling Skeleton
Child of Night
Dragonskull Summit
Bloodrage Vampire
Wall of Torches
Act of Treason
Taste of Blood
Flight
Forest

Round 3:
Volcanic Dragon <--Bomb!
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Ogre
Shock
Goblin Arsonist
Child of Night
Fling
Goblin Grenade
Disentomb
Goblin Piker
Goblin Tunneler
Sacred Wolf
Stave Off
Angel's Feather
Forest

This deck practically built itself.  While in hindsight I should have not picked the blue, I still ended up with a strong deck.

Creatures:
1x Furyborn Hellkite
2x Vampire Outcasts
1x Stormblood Berserker
3x Child of Night
2x Duskhunter Bat
2x Goblin Arsonist
1x Goblin Fireslinger
1x Bloodrage Vampire
1x Volcanic Dragon
1x Blood Ogre
1x Goblin Tunneler

Instants:
2x Sorin's Thirst
2x Shock
1x Fling
1x Doom Blade

Sorcery:
1x Act of Treason

Lands:
9x Mountain
8x Swamp

Its a pretty aggressive deck.  Early game it should get the cheap guys through, then slowly build up to the bloodthirst guys.  The bloodthirst enablers allow the deck to win through a creature stall.

I thought this wasn't an easy draft at all! There were lots of though choices to be made, also, the choice of color(s) was not easy at all!
I finally ended up in B/U, and I aml very pleased with the deck, certainly if I see what's in my sideboard...

Picks:
Round 1:
Mind Control --> Though choice with the dragon, but Mind Control can steal the dragon if needed
Phantasmal Dragon --> bomb (happy I picked the Mind Control in the previous pack, red isn't that nice here)
Vampire Outcasts --> bomb (black second color?)
Consume Spirit --> this card is highly underestimated I think, this wins games!
Skywinder Drake
Child of Night
Duskhunter Bat
Duskhunter Bat
Frost Breath --> Superb to get this card this late, this helps blood thirst too!
Drifting Shade
Sorin's Thirst
Amphin Cutthroat
Unsummon
Merfolk Mesmerist
Mountain

Round 2:
Sorin's Thirst --> Not great, but there's nothing special in this pack
Vampire Outcasts --> ooh yeah, another one, happy I took black!
Frost Breath --> 2 of those is insane!
Doom Blade --> Nice, black is only for me ?
Doom Blade --> wow, superb !
Bloodrage Vampire
Warpath Ghoul
Blood Seeker --> Nice card, can make the deck if I need some extra creatures
Warpath Ghoul
Negate
Fog
Tormented Soul --> Bloodthirst enabler for the 2 bat's and vampire's
Mesa Enchantress
Flight
Forest

Round 3:
Skywinder Drake
Ice Cage --> another removal
Belltower Sphinx --> Superb ability, and it flyes !
Aether Adept --> great card
Ice Cage --> okay, another one
Turn to Frog --> highly underestimated (certainly by the AI), this is best removal in blue!
Wring Flesh --> won't make the deck with all the other super removal, but nothing better in the pack for me
Drifting Shade --> 2 of these is good for me
Phantasmal Bear
Buried Ruin
Fog
Turn to Frog --> wow, this late ???
Stave Off
Angel's Feather
Forest

After the draft, I was very, very pleased to have gone with B/U ! Red still isn't my favorite color, and I'm not sure there was enough good red to make it as a first color in this draft...

My deck I would have build:

Creatures (14)
---------
1x Phantasmal Dragon
2x Vampire Outcasts
2x Skywinder Drake
1x Child of Night
2x Duskhunter Bat
2x Drifting Shade
1x Bloodrage Vampire
1x Tormented Soul
1x Belltower Sphinx
1x Aether Adept

Other spells (10)
------------
1x Mind Control
1x Consume Spirit
2x Frost Breath
2x Doom Blade
2x Ice Cage
2x Turn to Frog

--> I would be extremely happy to draft this deck in real life, also the sideboard please me very much with 2xSorin's Thirst, Negate, Unsommon, 2xWarpath Ghould, Blood Seeker, ...

Here are my thoughts, seems like the entire draft was packed with bombs for everyone. I ended up in U/B, if I get around making a deck, Ill edit this post.

P1p1 Hmmmmm, furyborn hellkite is a real backbraker when going into the late game. However, it has RRR in the casting cost
and I don't really prefer red in M12 (even though sometimes going for bloodthirst works wonders ). And there is a mind control in here,
excellent card and blue, I like it and I pick that.

P1p2 Hmmmm, now for something hard to do. Pick phantasmal or aven? Both have flying, phantasmal is aggressive, aven less so.
Aven is nigh invulnerable, where phantasmal is quite fragile. I take the 'save' option of aven fleetwing and hope phantasmal tables.
At the end of the draft I am still not sure what would be the best choice here.

P1p3 Merfolk looter. I absolutely love this guy, digging for answers is always good. I also note quite a bit of black
coming my way. Might be open.

P1p4 Wow, gravedigger and consume spirit, definitely signals black is open. Consume spirit is
an excellent card and now that I get it early, I can hopefully make sure I optimize my deck manawise
for the spirit (it nearly always is good to do so)

P1p5 And now pacifism gets passed? Once again the AI seems unreliable at best. But I pass it, I
can take quite a few cards that would suit my deck. And since I want to maximize my black and make
good use of many swamps, the shade is a shoe-in.

P1p6 Brink of disaster, not quality removal, but solid enough.

P1p7 Onyx mage here. I dont have a bloodthirst theme in my deck, I want to maximize my black mana if possible and
onyx mage singlehandedly transforms combat math in my favor

P1p8 Duskhunter bat, more flying and I need some more creatures and it flies

P1p9 I take frost breath. I allready got some fragile control and ice age would add more
instability, besides, frost breath is good both on offense and defense.

P1p10 Hmmmm, tricky, mana leak is good, so is the shade. However, I dont have much removal yet and since this is limited,
it is highly unlikely that my opponent will have 3 mana left so I take the mana leak (also
because my early game is still a bit lacking in my opinion and I dont want to get blown out
by a speedy deck)

P1p11 Sorins thirst

P1p12 Amphin cutthroat

P1p13 unsummon

P1p14 merfolk mesmerist

P1p5 Mountain

Ok, so far I like it, got some removal, some good creatures. I basically just want to expand on this,
mostly on the creature base at first I think

P2p1 Well, aven fleetwing is a good start

P2p2 vampire outcasts, lifelink is nice and if I can pull off the bloodthirst......

P2p3 Hmmmm, cancel or frost breath? This is quite turning into a control deck. I take my second
frost breath as it has more synergy with my previously picked outcasts (try and get in some damage to enable bloodthirst)

P2p4 Another monday in which at least one pack gets passed in which I would have loved to pick more than one card
However, no discussion here, doom blade is some very welcome removal (and I notice that some really
good white cards have been passed like aegis angel and obi ring so people that took white in this draft
are going to be laughing)

P2p5 Merfolk looter, some more early game and I think this deck could card quality improvement the looter gives

P2p6 Right, timely reinforcements, spirit mantle, why o why didnt I take white....too late now in my opinion
besides, I still got quite some quality blue/black to go for. I allready got quite a few turn two plays and no turn
three creatures yet so I take bloodrage vampire

P2P7 Hmmm, dark favor combines well with the aven fleetwings, cancel cancels something outright, warpath ghoul is another decent
three drop. Reassembling skeleton mixes well with the control theme and works good on big amounts of black mana. I take the
skeleton as it nicely combines with my deathtouch mage to hopefully take out quite some creatures of my opponent.

P2p8 I really like blood seeker

P2p9 Warpath ghoul

P2p10 bloodrage vampire

P2p11 krakens eye

P2p12 phantasmal bear

P2p13 taste of blood

P2p14 flight

P2p15 Forest

That doom blade is really welcome, now I need to find some good late game cards if possible as my deck
is more on the control side and that would mean I need some good late game

P3p1 Mana leak, more quality removal

P3p2 Frost breath, ok, I am gonna keep my opponents creatures tapped down indefinitely

P3p3 Belltower sphinx now this is something I was looking for.

P3p4 Ah man, I want all the blue in here. I take the turn to frog, I think my deck needs more removal

P3p5 Phantasmal bear, another one drop is nice too

P3p6 Another turn to frog, wow, removal is flowing now

P3p7 Unsummon

P3p8 Phantasmal image

P3p9 Disentomb

P3p10 Buried ruin

P3p11 fog

P3p12 Sacred wolf

P3p13 Merfolk mesmerist

P3p14 Angels feather

P3p15 Forest

Round 1:
Mind Control
Aven Fleetwing
Merfolk Looter
Consume Spirit
Drifting Shade
Brink of Disaster
Onyx Mage
Duskhunter Bat
Frost Breath
Mana Leak
Sorin's Thirst
Amphin Cutthroat
Unsummon
Merfolk Mesmerist
Mountain

Round 2:
Aven Fleetwing
Vampire Outcasts
Frost Breath
Doom Blade
Merfolk Looter
Bloodrage Vampire
Reassembling Skeleton
Blood Seeker
Warpath Ghoul
Bloodrage Vampire
Kraken's Eye
Phantasmal Bear
Taste of Blood
Flight
Forest

Round 3:
Mana Leak
Frost Breath
Belltower Sphinx
Turn to Frog
Phantasmal Bear
Turn to Frog
Unsummon
Phantasmal Image
Disentomb
Buried Ruin
Fog
Sacred Wolf
Merfolk Mesmerist
Angel's Feather
Forest
Mind Control - Dear GODS this pack is absolutely STACKED! Mind Control, a huge dragon, even Thran Golem! ...okay maybe not Thran Golem. Mind Control wins over the mythic unfortunately. It was the second most powerful card in M11 limited, and in the currented limited it might even pass beyond that. In general, unless you have a planeswalker, Mind Control is always the pick. And even then, Mind Control wins over some of them. It's actually kind of amazing such a bomb in limited sees no constructed play.

Mind Control did actually see constructed play as a sideboard answer to Malakir Bloodwitch and played very well in pre-Zendikar standard.
RAGE!!!  My inner Timmy is in a RAGE!!!  P1P1 Huuuuuuge Dragon vs. Mind Control.  In the end I played smart (though in real life I might have taken the dragon, tough call).  Wound up U/B flying aggro with solid removal.  I see other people got passed some doom blades in pack 2, but I didn't see them (sad face).

Round 1:
Mind Control (RAAAAGGGEEE!!!)
Phantasmal Dragon (no removal, take cheap flying bomb)
Sorin's Thirst (removal.  outcasts are really good, but removal is removal)
Consume Spirit (finisher)
Skywinder Drake (can you say clock?)
Child of Night (it was fast.  deathmark and brink of disaster are too situational and mind unbound is just not gonna happen)
Duskhunter Bat (this was a tough one up against onyx mage and smallpox, in the end I chose the flyer.  I could have been wrong here though.)
Wring Flesh (removal wins vs. small flier)
Ice Cage (removal...it was only up against frost breath.  not even close)
Aven Fleetwing (hexproof flier vs. shade take the flier every time unless I'm mono-B)
Tormented Soul (aggro)
Amphin Cutthroat (only U/B card here, although a hate of either the dignitary or the arsonist would have been a legit option too)
Unsummon (solid tempo plus it was only up against firebreathing. XD)
Merfolk Mesmerist (meh, won't make it in)
Mountain (lucky me)

Round 2:
Sorin's Thirst (removal over hexproof flier)
Vampire Outcasts (no removal, take the bomb)
Frost Breath (removal/tempo>counter>4/3 for 5)
Skywinder Drake(decided I had enough removal and went for the clock)
Merfolk Looter (only good thing here)
Spirit Mantle (hate draft...could have also hated the reinforcements or rare drafted the birds...dunno)
Disentomb (creature recursion/tempo is better than aura...although not by much with all my fliers)
Blood Seeker (aggro vs. card draw, I'm aggro)
Dragonskull Summit (nothing else here, take the rare dual)
Bloodrage Vampire (nothing worth hating...probably won't make the deck though)
Fog (nothing else, sure I'll hate the combat step blanker)
Phantasmal Bear (bear vs. tormented soul, bear is bigger and can block)
Taste of Blood (probably should have taken the enchantress...this card won't make it in the deck)
Flight (whoopee...)
Forest (what a shocker)

Round 3:
Skywinder Drake (clock)
Ice Cage (removal)
Belltower Sphinx (flier...also works as blocker if necessary)
Aven Fleetwing (I have so much removal already I'm kind of glazing over the turn to frog...so hexproof flier it is)
Ice Cage (no fliers, take removal)
Drowned Catacomb (I already have a lot of removal and it's in my colors, yoink)
Redirect (tricksies)
Phantasmal Image (OMGWTFBBQ??)
Phantasmal Bear (aggro)
Goblin Arsonist (picked the card that would cause my illusions the most problems)
Lifelink( meh whatever, only half decent thing in here worth hating besides fog)
Turn to Frog (dang... it tabled.  sure, why not)
Stave Off (meh)
Angel's Feather ([sarcasm]soooo playing this.[/sarcasm])
Forest(whatevs)

Creatures (16)

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
3x Ice Cage
1x Turn to Frog
1x Redirect
2x Sorin's Thirst
1x Consume Spirit
[/deck]

Lands (16)
[deck]
1x Drowned Catacomb
8x Swamp
7x Island
[/deck]

1-3
2-11
3-4 (consume spirit in here)
4-4
5-2

Considering more than 3/4 of my curve is 3 cmc or less, more than half of it is 2cmc or less, and that I top out at 5 cmc, 16 mana should be fine.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Round 1:

Greatsword

Armored Warhorse

Honor of the Pure

Divination

Pacifism

Deathmark

Guardians' Pledge

Wring Flesh

Ice Cage

Drifting Shade

Cancel

Stonehorn Dignitary

Unsummon

Merfolk Mesmerist

Mountain

Round 2:

Peregrine Griffin

Aegis Angel

Auramancer

Oblivion Ring

Mesa Enchantress

Timely Reinforcements

Naturalize

Griffin Sentinel

Dragonskull Summit

Guardians' Pledge

Divine Favor

Mighty Leap

Demystify

Flight

Forest

Round 3:

Pacifism

Ice Cage

Elite Vanguard

Armored Warhorse

Auramancer

Guardians' Pledge

Unsummon

Armored Warhorse

Plummet

Reclaim

Fog

Turn to Frog

Phantasmal Bear

Bountiful Harvest

Forest

White aggro splashing blue for the ice cages I’ve got enough white creatures to make white overrun work hopefully. I’ve got 5 enchantments that can lock down their creatures/oblivion ring is an ace against other permanents. Mesa Enchantress can use boosts to attack, and can draw a lot of cards off the enchantments, especially with auramancers to get them back if an opponent gets out of ice cage. I can imagine sideboarding to be interesting. I could remove the ice cages for 2 unsummons or 1 unsummon/turn to frog, I could replace the islands with swamps for deathmark/wring flesh for removal or change islands to swamps for naturalize/plummet/fog.  

Lands

Plains 13

Islands 3

Creatures 11

Aegis Angel

3 Armored Warhorse

2 Auramancer

Elite Vanguard

Griffin Sentinel

Mesa Enchantress

Peregrine Griffin

Stonehorn Dignitary

Spells 13

Divine Favor

Greatsword

3 Guardian’s Pledge

Honor of the Pure

2 Ice Cage

Mighty Leap

Oblivion Ring

2 Pacifism

Timely Reinforcements

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I ended up with my draft post there and I can't cut and paste in the reply window. Meh.