October Previews: Flight at level 1 and more Wizard options. (Please don't shoot the messenger)

292 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obligatory Link.

So, pixies. At least they're not the 3.5 version? And yet another wizard build.

I'm actually struggling to come up with my usual attempts at semi-clever commentary, so I'll just leave it with my usual question.

2cp for your thoughts?
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Pixie Barbarian. All the clever commentary you would need RF
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I just feel weird that my vampire book will need to rate pixe high...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Oh my god. I love this fluff. It's so overwrought and over-the-top and just full of itself. It's so bad. This is exactly what I've been hoping for. (What? We knew they weren't going to make any good fluff, so I'm just hoping that it's laughably bad. At this rate, it'll be worth it just to MST the damn thing.)

From an optimization perspective . . . eh, I got nothing. There's definitely going to be something bizarre you can do with Shrink. There always is.
+2 dex, +2to stealth, and immune to tremor sense...

We now have a gold sneak race.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Oh my god. I love this fluff. It's so overwrought and over-the-top and just full of itself. It's so bad. This is exactly what I've been hoping for. (What? We knew they weren't going to make any good fluff, so I'm just hoping that it's laughably bad. At this rate, it'll be worth it just to MST the damn thing.)

From an optimization perspective . . . eh, I got nothing. There's definitely going to be something bizarre you can do with Shrink. There always is.

Shrink seems to be a rules workaround that combines with Wee Warrior so you use items as if you were Small.  Guess they didn't want funky Tiny rules.  I assume there's going to be something bent or broken, but I dunno what.

I do note Pixie defenders can end their turn in someone's square.

EDIT: In fact, although Tiny creatures are 1/2 a square in size, you can explicitly can fit four of them in one square.  Anyone know what's up with that?
All I know is I want to make a pixie ranger. I don't care how un-optimized it is. All I know is I want to see the look on the orcs face when a pigeon sized woman weilding bastard swords the size of steak knives reduces their leader to bloody gibblets.

Also: Since shrunk items retain their game stastics, if the DM has a setting with usable black-powder, you can easily fit several thousand pounds worth of gun-powder explosives into a single satchle, store it somewhere, say, under the big bad's chair, and light it with a match. Honestly, anything volatile will do. But yeah, shrink, store, detonate.

Finally, I'm honestly surprised the racial power does not have the target requirement of "One ally thinking happy thoughts."
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin
Shrink, aka pixie lockpicks (Doors are an object generally sized for medium or larger creatures)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
+2 dex, +2to stealth, and immune to tremor sense... We now have a gold sneak race.

I am totally rebuilding my Rogue|Warlock/Assassin.  Zomg.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
There are some feats out there that grant a defensive benefit when the target enemy is larger then your character.  Can anyone remember what they are?  I know some are halfing specific, so the ED that grants additional race abilities could be interesting.

Also, Revanent Pixie Vampire, Blood sucking bat anyone? 
Don't goblin totem weapons still grant double their enhancement bonus to damage against larger creatures?
Wait. They are small, Stealth Jesuses, Dex Based, and can shrink down objects for easy carry and concealment?

Guys, guys! Executioners! Poisons!

---

Edit: ... why is the most interesting things out of WotC in a year Tinker Bell? Why?
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin
Revenant pixie is still medium, and can't fly. So not much point, (yet)

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I'm betting that the devs are revamping the rules on tiny creatures in Heroes of the Feywild. Don't get too excited yet.

EDIT: If someone makes a guide to making an optimized team of pixies, it should definitely be titled "I am amused by entire itty bitty teeny team!"

so i suppose the which is a wizard build and not a subclass.... 

either way, enough wizard and fighter can we support OTHER classes how much support does a class need until its, well, done?

an all pixie party could end up being pretty nasty.... they could stuff the whole party in a small box (they can still squeeze right?) and just wait for the unsuspecting poor soul to open a lid and have 5 pixie barbarians charge you...
True mellored, but how the hell do you visualise a medium size non-flying dead pixie.  Is it bloated, and has it's wings fallen off?
Huh.  A thought occurs... does a Pixie Hexblade have to shrink his weapon ever time he summons it?
By posting it in this thread, I hereby 'call' this idea.

Vampire Pixie
Named Drinker Bell
All I know is I want to make a pixie ranger. I don't care how un-optimized it is. All I know is I want to see the look on the orcs face when a pigeon sized woman weilding bastard swords the size of steak knives reduces their leader to bloody gibblets.

Personally, I'm going for whirling barbarian with waraxes - something about Tinkerbelle flying hell-for-leather straight at someone's face screaming in a shrill voice and swinging a pair of giant meat cleavers just gets me giggly... Berzerker war-fairies... heh.
Also: Since shrunk items retain their game stastics, if the DM has a setting with usable black-powder, you can easily fit several thousand pounds worth of gun-powder explosives into a single satchle, store it somewhere, say, under the big bad's chair, and light it with a match. Honestly, anything volatile will do. But yeah, shrink, store, detonate.

Like I said in the other thread, I'm seeing the return of the old bag of anvils trick...

Also, good god that L24 for the Witch is terrible. That IS NOT an epic ability. It would be a bad ability even if you got it for free at L1.

It's not a class feature, it's a bug...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Pixie Hexblades, Warlocks, and Sorcerers come to mind...

Hmm. Size doesn't limit your carrying capacity anymore, does it?

Nope. Which is part of why they put in that bit about shrunken objects retaining their original weight.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Am I reading the SHrink utility right?  So my Pixie could Shrink down a Fullblade, and it would still be d12 damage?

Gnomes and Halflings are no doubt crying to sleep tonight.  
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
Goblin Totem is pretty appealing with a Pixie...
 Meta, read the Wee Warior thing again - apparently the writers intention was that pixies would be under the same weapon restrictions as gnomes and halflings... (Although someone did question in the other thread on the gen board whether it actually worked that way) So he best they're swinging is a d10.
(Which still means they're doing the same damage as something four times their size...)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Am I reading the SHrink utility right?  So my Pixie could Shrink down a Fullblade, and it would still be d12 damage?

yes that's improvised... also you'd be doing it *every* encounter to use it in combat.

yes that's improvised... also you'd be doing it *every* encounter to use it in combat.

Actually, the power states that a shrunken weapon is an improvised weapon for a regular-sized character, not for the pixie.

And the power lasts until you take an extended rest, so you only need to use it once on the weapon for the whole day.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Like I said in the other thread, I'm seeing the return of the old bag of anvils trick...

That only worked in 3.5 cause falling objects were unavoidable by the rules. In this edition, there is no universal rule on how falling objects will interact save for specific traps and such. So no more Hulking Hurlers tossing instant kill lead medicine balls at gods and such.

Incorrect. "When wielding a weapon of your size, you follow the same rules that Small creatures do." What rules do small creatures follow when wielding small weapons?

You're forgetting that tiny creatures don't normally have any size restrictions on the types of weapons they could wield, and that the pixie has no compulsion to use tiny-sized weapons if they don't want to. Yeah, this caught me the fist time too.

So as I said earlier, the pixie will only make sense if the devs decided to revamp the rules on tiny-sized creatures.

Pixie shrinkage abuse: returning things to full size when you extended rest.

iron bar, slip under locked jail door, and rest. *pop* it returns to real size and pushes the door up.
purely roleplay advantage, but it might pass a decent DM.
So, I can shrink a weapon.  Doesn't matter what size it is, it becomes something suitable for a character of my pixie's size (tiny).  The weapon has the same weight and statistics, and is considered an improvised weapon for anyone who isn't Tiny.

Meanwhile, despite being Tiny, my Pixie uses the same rules for wielding weapons as a Small character.  Ok, that's just confusing!

Not that there doesn't need to be limits on this- about a half second after I made my last post, I realized that there are no size limits on Shrink itself!  So you could grab a Bugbear's (large) Mordenkrad, for example, resulting in a 2d8 Brutal 1 Hammer O' Doom that's...uh, tiny size.      
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks

Incorrect. "When wielding a weapon of your size, you follow the same rules that Small creatures do." What rules do small creatures follow when wielding small weapons?

A Small creature requires a weapon with the small property to be able to use it like a regular medium-sized creature - it's the property of the weapon that allows them to do so.
 While they could certainly shrink down a fullblade or execution axe, they still can't use it - they can't use a two-handed weapon unless it has the small property, so unless there's a 1d12 small weapon out there somewhere, the best they're doing is a d10 weapon...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

"Creatures cannot use weapons designed for creatures larger than themselves." (Weapons and Size, PHB 220)

::falls flat on his butt::

A Small creature requires a weapon with the small property to be able to use it like a regular medium-sized creature - it's the property of the weapon that allows them to do so.
 While they could certainly shrink down a fullblade or execution axe, they still can't use it - they can't use a two-handed weapon unless it has the small property, so unless there's a 1d12 small weapon out there somewhere, the best they're doing is a d10 weapon...

Small creatures can use small two-handed weapons.

Tiny creatures can use tiny two-handed weapons.

Pixies can make any weapon a tiny weapon while maintaining the original damage die.

There's no such thing as "small weapons" in the sense you're using it; there are no weapons that are size small in the game.  Further, the rules on small creatures and weapons don't mention weapon size at all; they simply say that small creatures can't wield two handed weapons and must use versatile weapons two-handed; even if a size small weapon existed, small creatures would still be under that restriction.  The small weapon property provides an exception that lets them wield a weapon as a medium creature to get around this.

Since Pixies follow the same rules as small creatures when they wield tiny weapons, that means no two-handed weapons and that they have to wield versatile weapons in two hands.  Presumably, the Small property is intended to allow pixies to get around this the same way it allows small creatures to, though since the property is worded as allowing to wield it as if you were Medium and medium creatures treat the weapons as improvised, that may not actually work RAW.

Assuming Pixies are supposed to be able to use Tiny weapons with the small property, a Pixie with a Pike for reach could be pretty neat, if only for the visual of a tiny weapon that can still hit 10 feet away.
So Pixie witches could potentially be able to ride their familars with out recourse to the the familiar mount ritual.  These small familars could serve as flying mounts, they have no stats for damage, unlike the "familiar mount" familars. All at level 1...

interesting....

LOL.

The only absurd part would be following the letter of the small weapon property and not letting Pixies use those weapons.  Everything else is entirely functional and sensible; the line about following the same rules as Small creatures is there to keep you from using fullblades.  It is not in keeping with either the letter or the spirit of the text to say that pixies can use tiny two-handed weapons that lack the small property.  If you feel it is in keeping with the text to allow that, reread the rules on weapons and size, RC 270-271; it's quite clear that small creatures can't wield two-handed weapons.

But hey, if you want to take the interpretation that the rule means a Pixie who's using a tiny weapon can use a medium weapon, more power to you.

You edited this in as I was writing my response.  You appear to be confused, since I never said anything of the sort.  What I said is the wording of the small property is that it allows you to use it as a medium creature, which actually isn't useful for a tiny weapon.  I have no idea where you got the idea that medium weapons were involved.
So Pixie witches could potentially be able to ride their familars with out recourse to the the familiar mount ritual.  These small familars could serve as flying mounts, they have no stats for damage, unlike the "familiar mount" familars. All at level 1...

interesting....

I don't think so - familiars are size Tiny. To be a mount the creature must be a size category larger than the rider. (so something would have to be at least size small to serve as a mount for the pixie)

interesting....

Not possible. Mounts need to at least be 1 size larger. Raptor familiars, however, are fair game.

EDIT: Yeah, raptor companions. Thanks for the correction nshoe

EDIT: In fact, although Tiny creatures are 1/2 a square in size, you can explicitly can fit four of them in one square.  Anyone know what's up with that?

What's odd about that?  You can fit 4 creatures in a square if they each take up a 1/2 by 1/2 square space.  Naturally.