The Pixie is up!

783 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

In addition to an overview of a Thief subclass, we finally get to look right at the Pixie's creepy, beady, doll-like eyes.

They look decent enough.  The flight doesn't look game-breaking, and there's a way around the "2 ounces should be a normal load for you, dude" thing.  They also have a Githyanki/Tinkerbell, "My friend can fly!" power, which is cool.

EDIT: I'm probably alone in this, but I do wish they were a bit less like Small creatures - that the Tiny size had carrots and sticks of some sort.

-O
I shall make a Pixie Star Hexblade and she shall be death from above!
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
I gotta say, Wizards certainly had a lot of, shall we say, fortitude in making a tiny race.

You're right, though; the pixie doesn't seem to be very strong if you only look at their flight. Though I'm sure that there will be some way to abuse that shrink power, well, beyond griefing your fellow members outta their equipment! Honestly, that one power makes them the trolliest race around.

EDIT: But I gotta say, their weight limitation to flight is total butt. The race already lack features that dissuade the race from picking heavily armed and armored classes (limited to small weapons, having ability scores appropraite to light-armed classes), they don't need to have non-choices forced upon them either.

I really want to make a Pixie Barbarian now and run around with a Greataxe!

"I AM LEAFTEAR WHISPERDAWN AND I'M GUNNA SPRINKLE PIXIE DUST ON MY BFF THEN WRECK YOUR FACE!!!!"
Want to make a Pixie fighter. So very bad.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
The shrink power is all but permanent on gear the pixie keeps on it's person, and doesn't change the stats of the item. A pixie who shrinks a mordenkrad and wields it swings for 2d6 brutal 1, which is better than what small races can manage. Given that encumbrance is based on Strength and not size in 4E, heavy armor shouldn't be a problem either.
...whatever
Yeah, I read that wrong. I for some reason saw that as HALF your normal load. Not a problem then.

But it looks like some of you are forgetting that the Pixie can only wield weapons as a small creature. They can shrink that Mordenkrag, alright, but they can't use it effectively since small creatures can't normally use two-handers.

EDIT: Pixie brawler FTW. I really hope that pixies do indeed get a feat that ignores the altitude limit; the thought of a 1 lb fey lifting a 2 ton giant off the ground, then plummeting said giant to its doom, plagues my thoughts. And would be entirely legit within the rules.

Meh.

 
Tiny creatures can end their turn in someone's square.  That brings up odd thoughts about defenders.

Also, "When wielding a weapon of your size, you follow the same rules that Small creatures do."  What does, when wielding a weapon of your size mean?  Unless Feywild has new tiny weapons, do I have to use Shrink on everything?  I also notice Shrink makes things appropriate for me to use, but doesn't mention what size that is.  I'm a little confused.
A pixie who shrinks a mordenkrad and wields it swings for 2d6 brutal 1, which is better than what small races can manage.




no the power says it is a improvised one handed weapon... however I can still use picks, a pike, and a longsword as a two handed weapon...  

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

A shrunken weapon keeps its game statistics and damage dice but becomes an improvised weapon for non-tiny creatures. OK. There is also the phrase "weapon of your size" in the Wee Warrior text.

I'm not sure i a get it. Are there now Tiny weapons and when you weild one you happen to follow the Small creature rules or do you wield regular (Medium) weapons like a small creature does and use the same rules as a small creature?  What is the definition "weapon of your size" for a pixie? If you shrink a Medium sized two handed weapon down to Tiny, it seems like you should be able to weild it, but then it says that you have to follow the rules for Small creatures, meaning you can't wield a two handed weapon without the Versatile keyword. They are going to need more rules for tiny weapon wielders than is presented in this preview
Tiny creatues can end their turn in someone's square.  That brings up odd thoughts about defenders.



Pixie defenders invade your personal space!

A shrunken weapon keeps its game statistics and damage dice but becomes an improvised weapon for non-tiny creatures. OK. There is also the phrase "weapon of your size" in the Wee Warrior text.

I'm not sure i a get it. Are there now Tiny weapons and when you weild one you happen to follow the Small creature rules or do you wield regular (Medium) weapons like a small creature does and use the same rules as a small creature?  What is the definition "weapon of your size" for a pixie? If you shrink a Medium sized two handed weapon down to Tiny, it seems like you should be able to weild it, but then it says that you have to follow the rules for Small creatures, meaning you can't wield a two handed weapon without the Versatile keyword. They are going to need more rules for tiny weapon wielders than is presented in this preview



Er, you have to shrink normal sized weapons to wield them. There are no tiny longswords, only normal longswords that are shrunken for pixie use. You then follow the rules of a small creature, so a pixie has to use a shrunken longsword two-handed since it is a versatile weapon.

EDIT: Funny thought. An average pixie can lift 25-100 of his own kind without breaking a sweat. Well, if they're butt-naked that is.

EDIT2:
Even funnier, the matter they eat and drink could go over eight times that of their own body

A pixie who shrinks a mordenkrad and wields it swings for 2d6 brutal 1, which is better than what small races can manage.




no the power says it is a improvised one handed weapon... however I can still use picks, a pike, and a longsword as a two handed weapon...  


It says it becomes an improvised weapon for non-Tiny creatures, not for the pixie.  Shrink makes it a weapon of your size, so you use it like a small creature does... whatever that means.
Er, you have to shrink normal sized weapons to wield them. There are no tiny longswords, only normal longswords that are shrunken for pixie use. You then follow the rules of a small creature, so a pixie has to use a shrunken longsword two-handed since it is a versatile weapon.

EDIT: Funny thought. An average pixie can lift 25-100 of his own kind without breaking a sweat. Well, if they're butt-naked that is.


I think you're right.  I just got it myself.

Since shrunken items stay that way until off your person, I'm guessing it's meant to combine with Wee Warrior to act as if you were small.  They didn't want to come up with new tiny weapon rules.  I dunno why Wee Warrior doesn't say to just use the small rules, but it seems to work out that way.

So Pixie Dust is your REAL racial power, Shrink is just a funky rules workaround.
Er, you have to shrink normal sized weapons to wield them. There are no tiny longswords, only normal longswords that are shrunken for pixie use. You then follow the rules of a small creature, so a pixie has to use a shrunken longsword two-handed since it is a versatile weapon.

EDIT: Funny thought. An average pixie can lift 25-100 of his own kind without breaking a sweat. Well, if they're butt-naked that is.


I think you're right.  I just got it myself.

Since shrunken items stay that way until off your person, I'm guessing it's meant to combine with Wee Warrior to act as if you were small.  They didn't want to come up with new tiny weapon rules.  I dunno why Wee Warrior doesn't say to just use the small rules, but it seems to work out that way.

So Pixie Dust is your REAL racial power, Shrink is just a funky rules workaround.



Am I missing a 4e rule somewhere were tiney creatures can't wield "medium" weapons? I mean, a small character can wield medium weapons, and there's no small weapons for them to magically wield to get around the restrictions.
^

... D'oh! I was led on a wild goose chase. Yep, I'm guessing this is gonna see revision before it's printed. Not That I don't enjoy the sight of a mere 16 ounce fey thingie swiping fullblades around like the best of them.

EDIT: Well, who's to say that Wizo's hasn't already changed the rules on tiny creatures in Heroes of the Feywild? That would be  sensible at this point.

Pixies can't use fullblades.  Fullblades are two-handed weapons that, even Shrunk, don't have the Small property and can't be equipped by Small creatures.   Which is the rule you use as per Wee Warrior.

So, the same weapons halflings and gnomes have been making do with forever.  Shrink, when applied to weapons, is basically just "refluff this as making sense, but use these other mechanics"
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Pixies can't use fullblades.  Fullblades are two-handed weapons that, even Shrunk, don't have the Small property and can't be equipped by Small creatures.   Which is the rule you use as per Wee Warrior.

So, the same weapons halflings and gnomes have been making do with forever.  Shrink, when applied to weapons, is basically just "refluff this as making sense, but use these other mechanics"



Problem is, nothing stops them from wielding a normal-sized fullblade. This circumvents the need to use tiny weapons as small creatures.

Pixies can't use fullblades.  Fullblades are two-handed weapons that, even Shrunk, don't have the Small property and can't be equipped by Small creatures.   Which is the rule you use as per Wee Warrior.

So, the same weapons halflings and gnomes have been making do with forever.  Shrink, when applied to weapons, is basically just "refluff this as making sense, but use these other mechanics"

Stricly speaking, however, there isn't a rule about Tiny weapons.  There's just Wee Warrior, which says when wielding a weapon of your size, treat it was if you were small.  There's no rule that says you can't use a weapon not your size, however.
Once they get some of the rules bugs out of the way, this is quite a nice solution to the concept. There are going to be some crazy builds out of this. There has to be an amazing pixie defender build out there. Also, they're going to get all those size-based bonus feats and powers against pretty much everything.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.

 Hmm... A bag of holding or handy haversack can get around the fact that shrunken objects retain their original weight. I'm seeing the old bag-of-anvils trick coming back into vogue again... Crushed by doll-sized anvils, what a way to go, lol.

 Overall, it doesn't seem all that special. Their racial power is basically giving up their move action to let someone else move, even if it does involve flight. Their it's-not-a-racial-power-it's-a-rules-kludge-meant-as-a-workaround-for-rules-which-apparently-don't-actually-exist combined with their racial feature let's them pretend they're Small instead of Tiny. (Does Tiny even have any game effects other than being able to fit into someone's space?)

As far as the ability scores, it's not much different from any other race with the same stats - I'm pretty sure anybody seriously planning to play Tinkerbelle probably wasn't planning on going for a class that used two-handed weapons anyway. (On the other hand, knowing D&D players the way I do, I'm sure we'll be seeing hordes of pixie slayers, scouts and whirling barbarians showing up at tables just because people couldn't resist the impulse.)

 My impression: interesting but nothing that blew my socks off.


 The witch, so far, is another wizard who gets a seriously gimped spellbook in the form of a free familiar. Not enough information to give any real opinion on it.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

 

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

 

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

 

There are reasons they call me Mad...

> The witch, so far, is another wizard who get's a seriously gimped spellbook in
> the form a free familiar.

...and whose fluff seems to scream "Warlock!" but let's ignore that because old-E had it as a wizard subclass. (Pay no attention to the fact that there were no other arcane classes for it to be categorized under at the time...)
...and whose fluff seems to scream "Warlock!" but let's ignore that because old-E had it as a wizard subclass. (Pay no attention to the fact that there were no other arcane classes for it to be categorized under at the time...)


 Yeah, that's pretty much the other half of my thought that I was too lazy to type, lol.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

 

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

 

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

 

There are reasons they call me Mad...

> The witch, so far, is another wizard who get's a seriously gimped spellbook in > the form a free familiar. ...and whose fluff seems to scream "Warlock!" but let's ignore that because old-E had it as a wizard subclass. (Pay no attention to the fact that there were no other arcane classes for it to be categorized under at the time...)



Yeah, thats what really irked me about it. Wizard subclass...ok...but stealing the Warlock's fluff?

Ack, ninja'd to a similar agreement.

EDIT: Pixie brawler FTW. I really hope that pixies do indeed get a feat that ignores the altitude limit; the thought of a 1 lb fey lifting a 2 ton giant off the ground, then plummeting said giant to its doom, plagues my thoughts. And would be entirely legit within the rules.


Well, altitude limit doesn't stop you from going higher, it just means you'll fall at end of turn. So without any modifiers to speed and with an action point, you could bring them 18 squares above the ground and drop them 90 feet as a free action. You'll fall too, but according to page 209 of the RC, you'll treat it as falling 60 feet, and you can then make an acrobatics check to reduce the damage. Plus I'm sure there's some items to help with that. 
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Well, altitude limit doesn't stop you from going higher, it just means you'll fall at end of turn. So without any modifiers to speed and with an action point, you could bring them 18 squares above the ground and drop them 90 feet as a free action. You'll fall too, but according to page 209 of the RC, you'll treat it as falling 60 feet, and you can then make an acrobatics check to reduce the damage. Plus I'm sure there's some items to help with that. 



Actually, ax the whole thing. Pesky rules on forced movement. grumblegrumble

This... This thing is so bad... Like, I'm actually astonished at the amount of fail that needed to take place, and on so many levels, for this to be so bad... I just... I don't understand how this could happen...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

We already knew the Pixie was getting the altitude limit.  A race that mostly ignores difficult terrain along with many traps and hazzards is definitely still pushing it a bit, though.  Similarly, Pixie Dust is just cute, and not entirely overpowered for a racial (certainly on par with Fey Step), though the Pixies other racial power largely eliminates any equipment issues it might otherwise have faced for it's size. 

It's not the disaster it easily could have been, but it's still not a great idea.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

 

 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

This... This thing is so bad... Like, I'm actually astonished at the amount of fail that needed to take place, and on so many levels, for this to be so bad... I just... I don't understand how this could happen...



Well, I think it's bad too, but in a good way. I don't know whether to be more amused that pixies are tiny sized and can lift and eat way more than their body mass from the start, have a super cheesy origin story, or that their shrink power is just asking for abuse.


We already knew the Pixie was getting the altitude limit.  A race that mostly ignores difficult terrain along with many traps and hazzards is definitely still pushing it a bit, though.  Similarly, Pixie Dust is just cute, and not entirely overpowered for a racial (certainly on par with Fey Step), though the Pixies other racial power largely eliminates any equipment issues it might otherwise have faced for it's size. 

It's not the disaster it easily could have been, but it's still not a great idea.




Their flight is a neat early level gimmick if you look at it that way, but that's about it. But it is really nice for those stealthy types in that they could avoid tremorsense entirely.


EDI: I'm getting way too excited here. How could I forget the weapon rules in the PHB?

Well, I think it's bad too, but in a good way.

I'm not talking about it's fluff. I'm talking about these mechanics. They are layer upon layer of ineptitude, and I don't understand how this is a thing that is existing right now...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Well, I think it's bad too, but in a good way.

I'm not talking about it's fluff. I'm talking about these mechanics. They are layer upon layer of ineptitude, and I don't understand how this is a thing that is existing right now...


What, are you upset that they didn't pigeonhole it into spellcaster only by making it so their best weapon does 1d6 damage due to being tiny?
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I'm not talking about it's fluff. I'm talking about these mechanics. They are layer upon layer of ineptitude, and I don't understand how this is a thing that is existing right now...



I could only assume you're not a big fan of all these workarounds needed to make a viable tiny race? One man's pain is another's amusement I guess.

What, are you upset that they didn't pigeonhole it into spellcaster only by making it so their best weapon does 1d6 damage due to being tiny?

Just because it could be worse doesn't mean that it's not bad. It's still bad.
And for the record, I still think that they are basically pigeon-holed into casters (plus rogues) only, though that has more to do with the same issue that Halflings and Gnomes currently have with the Small size weapon restrictions and limitations.

I could only assume you're not a big fan of all these workarounds needed to make a viable tiny race?

The problem is that these workarounds (A) didn't address all of the problems with tiny size and (B) didn't even address that problems that it tried to address very well. If this is "viable" to you, then we have different definitions of that word.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
We already knew the Pixie was getting the altitude limit.  A race that mostly ignores difficult terrain along with many traps and hazzards is definitely still pushing it a bit, though.

Their flight is a neat early level gimmick if you look at it that way, but that's about it. But it is really nice for those stealthy types in that they could avoid tremorsense entirely.
Hadn't thought of tremorsense.  To put the flight into perspective, though, a pixe can cross 25' of bad stuff by flying, with a move action, as often as it cares to.  An Eladrin can 'port to avoid the same sort of stuff (and more), 1/encounter.  Other characters at 1st level can make Athletics checks, and need a decent bonus and roll to clear 10' of whatever.  So, yeah, that goes a little beyond 'gimick.'  The altitude limit keeps pixies from just trivializing encounters by flying out of reach and using ranged attacks - the way 3.x casters habitually did once out of the lower levels - but that's about it.  Aside from that, it's flight.  Heck, it's superior to the Scion of Arkhosia's level 12 utility. 

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

 

 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

The altitude limit keeps pixies from just trivializing encounters by flying out of reach and using ranged attacks...

Not if the pixie simply lands somewhere high up, like on a wall or tree or rooftop or cliff or something else like that. Not all of my encounters are indoors, and not not all of my outdoor encounter are in the middle of a barren, featureless desert.

But seriously, just comparing this to other racial features... To put this in perspective, if I saw a home-brew race with the Elf's Wild Step racial feature and the Goliath's Powerful Athelete feature, then I would say that race was fine for features, maybe even pushing it a bit. What these Pixies get is far beyond that.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
The problem is that these workarounds (A) didn't address all of the problems with tiny size and (B) didn't even address that problems that it tried to address very well. If this is "viable" to you, then we have different definitions of that word.



I used the word 'viable' liberally there. The only point I was trying to make was that where you seem to be irritated at ridiculous rules, I instead laugh at said rules.

Fair enough. Humor is probably the healthier way to deal with it.
Whatever, I don't have time for this. It's Pride weekend in the ATL, and I need to get some rest for tomorrow.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
> Not if the pixie simply lands somewhere high up,

Since it has an altitude limit of 1, it'll only be "high up" to other tiny creatures. Sure, the pixie could climb... but so can those creatures.

--

The pixie doesn't have Hover, but IIRC, that isn't an issue anymore (you don't need to land) as long as they don't get stunned?
> Not if the pixie simply lands somewhere high up, Since it has an altitude limit of 1, it'll only be "high up" to other tiny creatures. Sure, the pixie could climb... but so can those creatures. -- The pixie doesn't have Hover, but IIRC, that isn't an issue anymore (you don't need to land) as long as they don't get stunned?


Altitude limit is just how high you can end your turn flying.  You can fly higher than that as long as you don't end your turn more than 1 square off the ground.
> Not if the pixie simply lands somewhere high up, Since it has an altitude limit of 1, it'll only be "high up" to other tiny creatures. Sure, the pixie could climb... but so can those creatures. -- The pixie doesn't have Hover, but IIRC, that isn't an issue anymore (you don't need to land) as long as they don't get stunned?



Altitude Limit: If a creature has a specified altitude limit, the creature crashes at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than that limit. See also fly speed.

"Crashing" is not a big deal if you are starting at or less than your speed in squares off the ground. So you could easily fly to something 30' off the ground and just plink away. If there's lots of high stuff around, like say a forest, you could just fly from object to object and never get near the ground.
Since it has an altitude limit of 1, it'll only be "high up" to other tiny creatures. Sure, the pixie could climb... but so can those creatures.

An altitude limit of 1 does not mean that the Pixie cannot fly higher than 1 square off of the ground. That's not what the altitude limit rules are. The altitude limit rules are that a creature falls if it's flying higher than the indicated altitude at the end of its turn. Let me quote from the compendium:

altitude limit
If a creature has a specified altitude limit, the creature crashes at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than that limit.

In other words, the Pixie can fly higher than 1 square off of the ground. It could simply fly 6 squares up and land on some rooftop or tree that's difficult to get up to. At its most extreme, a Pixie could double-run to clear 16 squares of vertical / horizontal space (possibly more depending on action point shenanigans) and just land somewhere really, really high up before the end of its turn.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!