10/07/2011 TWTW: "Grand Prix Geography and History Lessons"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I could have sworn GP Mains were x8 PWP modifier.
They're supposed to be. PTQs are 5 points.

Good to see they finally heard the thousands of people pointing out how the multiplier disparity would discourage dropping from big events. Once they clarify this 5/8 thing, that is. One reason this was a bad idea down 53 to go.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Yep, clarification needed.  Are the side events x5 and GP x8 ?  The article says share the x5 which clearly doesn't make any sense.  I want to maximise on points...
So can we have team Grand Prix's at some point this year? They haven't had them since the last time we had team Pro Tours, and now that Grand Prix's don't feed  into Pro Tours any more (at least not directly) they can't use that as an excuse to not run them. If you ran 2 the entire year I think they would see as many people as a Legacy GP, plus you could run all sorts of cool team side events that you normally don't get to run. Just don't make it 2-Headed Giant, since a lot of people didn't like that format for the PT. Team constructed or some sort of team limited would probably work best.
Normally I don't really care about these things, but wow is this schedule US-centred. A US-based player only has to cross a border once (or twice, if he wants to come back) to play a full GP schedule. European and Asian players...well, who cares about them, eh?
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Normally I don't really care about these things, but wow is this schedule US-centred. A US-based player only has to cross a border once (or twice, if he wants to come back) to play a full GP schedule. European and Asian players...well, who cares about them, eh?

I'd read that to mean that there's far more Magic players in the United States than any other individual country. Keep in mind also that the United States is geographically huge with its population fairly well-distributed (even with most on the coasts). Just because there isn't an international border between Seattle and Orlando doesn't make it practical for locals to attend both events. 

I'd read that to mean that there's far more Magic players in the United States than any other individual country. Keep in mind also that the United States is geographically huge with its population fairly well-distributed (even with most on the coasts). Just because there isn't an international border between Seattle and Orlando doesn't make it practical for locals to attend both events. 

True and true. But that doesn't explain the fact that over half of the GPs are in the United States. I understand a certain bias towards the US, but this is really very much over the top. I highly highly doubt that more than half of the world's Magic players come from the United States. Half of the world's top Magic players don't even come from the US. European events are constantly setting attendance records (as also mentioned by Flores here, and I think PT-Amsterdam has set the attendance record for a single event). Japanese players have dominated top play for years (I think there was a four year run of Japanese PotYs). It's a bit silly, then, to put this much focus on the US. You basically cannot go for a competitive GP schedule without touring most of the US, and with things like PotY and the Planeswalker Points being based on grinding, it means that the system is skewed very much towards American players.

Also, while the US is a large country (it's about twice as large as the European Union, which would be comparable on how easy it is to travel), the EU has far more people (500 million compared to the US's 300 million). Yet only 3 out of 15 GPs (20%) in 3 out of 9 time slots (33%) take place in Europe (againt 8/15 and 8/9 for the US on its own, and the last time slot being available without leaving the continent).
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
This is also just the first 3 months of the Grand Prix Schedule. There are more events to come.
True and true. But that doesn't explain the fact that over half of the GPs are in the United States. I understand a certain bias towards the US, but this is really very much over the top. I highly highly doubt that more than half of the world's Magic players come from the United States. Half of the world's top Magic players don't even come from the US. European events are constantly setting attendance records (as also mentioned by Flores here, and I think PT-Amsterdam has set the attendance record for a single event). Japanese players have dominated top play for years (I think there was a four year run of Japanese PotYs). It's a bit silly, then, to put this much focus on the US. You basically cannot go for a competitive GP schedule without touring most of the US, and with things like PotY and the Planeswalker Points being based on grinding, it means that the system is skewed very much towards American players.

Also, while the US is a large country (it's about twice as large as the European Union, which would be comparable on how easy it is to travel), the EU has far more people (500 million compared to the US's 300 million). Yet only 3 out of 15 GPs (20%) in 3 out of 9 time slots (33%) take place in Europe (againt 8/15 and 8/9 for the US on its own, and the last time slot being available without leaving the continent).

It probably costs Wizards less to run a US Grand Prix than anywhere else in the world. So their spending on GPs could be proportional to revenue or profit in a given region.

(This point is total speculation)

Also, the point about only seeing three months of the GP schedule is a good one, too. We'll see how the Q2 events compare.
Note that the "first" Grand Prix in "Indianapolis" was actually in a city 40 miles south of Indy called Columbus, Indiana.  Plus, it was not just one mass of urban growth between the two cities, as most of that is empty, boring Interstate.  In fact, the airport was 55 miles away from the Grand Prix.

Well, there were barely any US GPs in 2011 (and almost all of those were Constructed), so maybe they're just balancing that out.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
The US gets tons of events because it's huge. A player in Germany could get to a GP in Barcelona about as easily as I could get to one in Texas, and that's without leaving the South, let alone the country.
That's the issue ROBRAM89....  There is NO GP Barcalona for a German to go to.  There are only 3, one in France, one in Italy, one in Spain.  For it to matter (being able to travel a distance comparable with USA interstate distances), we first need to actually HAVE that option.  Here it would mean, we need at least 3 more european GP's, for example, one in Stockholm (Sweden, North Europe ) one in Manchester (United Kingdom, West Europe) and one in Prague ( Eastern Europe)