Beginner question: How to decide which miniatures to buy for RPG

Hello

I'm a beginning DnD player. Have bought the 3 core rule books (am starting out with all new players) and as good as finished with the PHB so I'm already looking a little further.

I absolutly want to play the game with the mini's. No tokens or imagining monsters. So that's a given.

I also bought the red starter box (which does not have any mini's and probably was not a good purchase now that I know more)

Besides that I also got the "Castle Ravenholm" board game. Which I think will be a good place to start some adventures as a beginning group. If it works out I plan on buying the other "board games" as well.

My question now is this. When I'm finished with the adventures in the board games. How can I decide which sets I have to buy for which adventures?

I don't have any idea to what adventures I'm gonna use (it will be pre-made ones) but I'm open to all adventures and campaign settings. But when I do pick an adventure, how do I know if I'm gonna have all the necessairy monsters fromm the board games and if not, which monster sets (like delves of the deep for instance) I have to get?

Thank you in advance for your reply!
The board games are not the same as the table top game.  The adventures in the board games and the custom ones online are not the same type of adventures  you will use with the table top game.

You can of course use any mini's from the board games (which are all re-prints without paint of already existing miniatures) with the RPG.  As to finding mini's for your table top game that is a little  harder  at this time. 

The miniatures  line was cancelled.  They are going to bring it back  at the end of this year or early next year, but the contents of the line are still being given out.  YOU have to buy your  miniatures from after  market sources most likely.   You can  search for retailers that are still selling the old boosters and if you find any you can go that route also.  Keep in mind they are blind boosters so you never know what you are going to get.  There are lots of stores that sell singles and this would be your  best way to get the specific mini's for  your adventures, but it might be cost prohibitive.    eBay is also an option.    I would recommend you get some  of the token sets  and then as you get miniatures use  those in place of the tokens.  

Hope this long answer helps.
Thank you for your reply.

I have also noticed that the series was kind of cancelled. That's exactly why I'm already looking out to buy miniatures now before I even played a game once.

I do still have the question as to what boosters exactly I should buy. Should I just buy a case of all the series or are there particular sets that contain monsters only used in specific settings that you only need if you go a specific route?

Are all booster sets equally usefull (bearing in mind that off course, the random factor can't be influenced)
Thank you for your reply.

I have also noticed that the series was kind of cancelled. That's exactly why I'm already looking out to buy miniatures now before I even played a game once.

I do still have the question as to what boosters exactly I should buy. Should I just buy a case of all the series or are there particular sets that contain monsters only used in specific settings that you only need if you go a specific route?

Are all booster sets equally usefull (bearing in mind that off course, the random factor can't be influenced)

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you just want a few of this or that, coolstuffinc.com or miniaturemarket.com each sell singles, and they have pictures as well. They also sell boosters, but you can get an idea by looking at the singles first.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Druid (5th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength-16
Dexterity-13
Constitution-17
Intelligence-15
Wisdom-16
Charisma-14

Alignment:
Neutral Good A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. However, neutral good can be a dangerous alignment when it advances mediocrity by limiting the actions of the truly capable.

Race:
Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Class:
Druids gain power not by ruling nature but by being at one with it. They hate the unnatural, including aberrations or undead, and destroy them where possible. Druids receive divine spells from nature, not the gods, and can gain an array of powers as they gain experience, including the ability to take the shapes of animals. The weapons and armor of a druid are restricted by their traditional oaths, not simply training. A druid's Wisdom score should be high, as this determines the maximum spell level that they can cast.

Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus (e-mail)

Thanks, I'll check those out!
I'll just add something for people who might read this later ..

Seems the start box was not a bad buy in the end, good solid easy intro the world..
Hey there;
i've only collected two and a half years but has now amassed over 3k in miniatures (and is always seeking more).

How i started:
first decide what your campaign is based on. go thru the galleries of all the minis (because there are so many different sculpts for the horde monsters. It ives an idea what roles you have assigned for that particular figure.

a quick example

I have the black dragon from the upcoming pathfinder mins set  pre ordered, i intend to use that as and elder black dragon male and the collector set black dragon as female is the same size.

a reason able start for a D&D campaign is 10 of each basic monster,

as noted ebay, and various online stores is your friend.

good luck.

-Star26
Sign In to post comments