Forum Reorganization--Preliminary Outline

243 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm pretty darn sure people don't say this often enough. Wrecan, you rock! Thanks!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

hey guys good job on the ddnext forum being already up but if its that easy why not go ahead with the reorganization? what is holding it up

also just my two cents, no need to have subforums on some of those, just have a dnd campaign worlds forum and a dnd vintage forum. the subforums just make it so sprawled imo. like i love birthright, i really do, but i dont see how it needs its own subforum. just my opinion though and wrecans layout is far superior to how it is now

pull the trigger
I totally get your complaint.  It's one of the reasons I like that all the campaign world forums are at the bottom.  But I do see a reason to keep them.  The forums serve as a sort of communal repository and if for any reason, Birthright is updated as a campaign setting in D&D Next or beyond, it can easily be moved up to the D&D: Worlds category. 

Which reminds me.  When D&D: Next is released all of the Worlds forums except Homebrew Campaigns and Forgotten Realms -- and whetever is the default setting for Next -- will have to be relegated back to D&D: Vintage.
I agree with frostof about pulling the trigger.  It'll give everyone something else to argue about besides 5E/next as well.  hide.gif
Which reminds me.  When D&D: Next is released all of the Worlds forums except Homebrew Campaigns and Forgotten Realms -- and whetever is the default setting for Next -- will have to be relegated back to D&D: Vintage.

Have they announced that they'll be discontinuing the other current worlds and not re-vamping old ones?  And if so, where is this announcement?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls

Have they announced that they'll be discontinuing the other current worlds and not re-vamping old ones?  And if so, where is this announcement?

They haven't announced anything.  But we have been placing the worlds in D&D: Worlds if they are currently being supporte.  So far, the only world that has been affirmatively said to be supported is Forgotten Realms.  All other campaign worlds only have 4e releases, at most.  And when Next hits shelves, they will be Vintage, unless, in the interim, they announce other settings to be supported.
How about creating some more forums for D&D Next? It might very well be getting the most traffic right now and yet it just has the one forum. New threads get pushed off the front page in less than an hour at times.

I know Mudbunny said we don't know the rules structure yet, but we know what people are talking about and there are probably a few assumptions we can make, like the existence (in some form) of races, classes, skills, spells/maneuvers/powers/whatever, an updated GSL or similar license, monsters, and of course you'd still need a general discussion area (placed underneath all the other DnDNext forums so it isn't the first place everyone posts to), so I don't think it is impossible to create some better organization for all the discussion currently taking place.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
How about creating some more forums for D&D Next? .

yes and please separate them from the 4e future releases, and/or any other 4e topic

For the forum reorg, would it be possible to have one sticky in the Realms forum that Trevor or Dragonette (or the VCLs, etc…) can edit which, in the first post, links to all the various groups located on the WotC forums?

Examples would include the LFR group and the FR Novels group. (Apologies for not having links. Will edit them in when I can.)

I feel that the single FR forum we’re going to end up with after the reorg ought to serve as a hub pointing to all the other Realms goodness that can be found on the forums. A sticky thread at the top of the main FR forum page would do that service nicely.

After the reorg, send me a lift of links you think should be included.  I'll make a post to be stickied and solicit additional contributions.  Then once we've had appropriaet comments, we'll get it sticked and locked.
Rock on. Many thanks, wrecan.
Recap:

It's been one year since I first suggested the forums be reorganized.
It's been 6½ months since Huscarl started this thread.
It's been 4 months since crazymonkey said that reorganization is still on CM's list of things to do.
It's been 3½ months since Trevor called this a "great idea" and since mudbunny said he started a discussion in the VCL group
It's been 3 months since Trevor said he doesn't want to put this off again and wants to proceed as planned.

Can anybody give us an update on any forum reorganization?

FYI: I created a one-man private group that is publicly viewable, in which I organized that Groups forums to look like what I envision the reorganized D&D forums to look like.  It didn't take long to set up.  You can see it here.  I think it looks pretty good.

Howdy folks,

As you may have noticed, the reorg has begun!  Specifically, we are working in stages, with "stage one" being the Board Games and Errata forums.

We don't have a specific timeline for future stages, but I can give you the infamous "soon."  ;)

We are working from Wrecan's model, with a few tweaks.

Quick question for everyone...

We are considering eliminating the Legacy Forums section entirely.  Is there anything in there that should be salvaged, saved, or archived?

All around helpful simian

We are considering eliminating the Legacy Forums section entirely.  Is there anything in there that should be salvaged, saved, or archived?

Everything I wrote should be painstakingly copied by hand, scanned, and preserved, with one copy in a secure vault deep in the Earth's crust, and a second placed in a rocket strengthened against cosmis radiation and shot into space with a careful trajectory avoiding any known phenomena to maximize longevity.  Everything else is crap!

Seriously, I think Regdar's Repository is the only thing I would consider archiving.
After the reorg, send me a lift of links you think should be included.  I'll make a post to be stickied and solicit additional contributions.  Then once we've had appropriaet comments, we'll get it sticked and locked.

The list, such as it is, has been sent your way.

The following forums have been merged into 4E General Discussion as part of the ongoing forum reorg.

4E Races and Monsters
4E Combat: Traps, Terrain and Tactics
4E Rituals, Equipment & Magic Items 

All threads from these forums now reside in 4E General Discussion.   

Can I suggest moving the Dragon/Dungeon Articles Errata Forum to the new Dragon and Dungeon articles  4e Errata Section ?
All threads from these forums now reside in 4E General Discussion.   

Wait, what?  Can someone post the intended final format of the forums so I don't request things to be moved out of General only to have them moved back in after a merger?
You already did, Wrecan.  ;)

We're working off the final model you posted after all the discussion that took place in this thread.  Assume that post #218 of this thread will be the end result (we may make one or two tweaks to that, but, that's the schematic we're working from, so to speak).

Ok.  Thanks!  That helps.
The following forums have been assimilated into the 4E General Discussion forum as part of the ongoing reorg.

4E Strikers
4E Controllers
4e Defenders
4E Leaders
4E Multiclassing, Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies

All threads from those forums now reside in 4E General Discussion. 

as for legacy forums my opinion is to put them all together in one locked archive. so no separate forums, and no ability to post. it seems a shame to delete it all
Thanks to all who are doing the merge work. It's appreciated.
Frothsof, that thought had occurred to us as well, but it would be a bit...confusing to have stuff from Regdar's mingled in with the old 4E Concerns & Criticisms threads.

Mr_Miscellany, you're welcome.   

The plan is to keep Rules Q&A separate.  You can see the proposed final layout in post 218.  When all is said in done, the 4e forums remaining will be:

4e Rules Q&A
4e Character Optimization
4e Other Discussion (renamed from General Discussion)
4e Reviews and Future Releases (renamed from 4th edition Future Releases)
and the 4e errata category with forums for Print Material, Online Content, and the locked 4e Errata Archive.
All of the DDI forums have been consolidated into the main DDI forum.  All of the threads from the DDI section now reside in the main DDI forum, located under the Board Games forum, except the Dragon and Dungeon errata threads, which have been moved to the Errata Archive forum.

The Previous Editions and RPGs sections have been reorged.  All of the threads from the forums no longer present have been moved into Previous Editions General.

In addition, the d20 Modern forum has been repurposed a bit to include discussion of all out of print TSR and Wizards of the Coast RPGs, such as Alternity and Boot Hill.  d20 Character Optimization has been renamed Previous Editions Character Optimization.

Can I suggest moving the Campaign & Adventure Workshop Forum to the Whats A DM To Do Forum Section ?

I'm currently working on moving all threads from House Rules & Homebrew and Campaign & Adventure Workshop to the new Homebrew Campaigns forum in the D&D Worlds section.  After that's done, those two forums will be deleted.

Several other forums got moved around a bit tonight as well and we eliminated a couple of sections (D&D HQ and D&D Fundamentals). 

I checked in this morning and was "Whoa? Where's General and Community Business?"
Then I scrolled down a bit further and found them.
And all was well.
And I like it.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Thanks!

We are pretty much done at this point.  We are still talking about what to do with the Legacy forums section and we will be revisiting the current set-up every so often to see if we can make any improvements.

Thanks, everyone, for your input, and your patience during this process. 

Quick update on the Legacy section.

Everything from the Legacy section has been moved into the new Previous Editions Archive forum in the Previous Editions section with two exceptions.

The old 4E Rules forum threads were moved into 4E Rules Q&A and the old 4E Concerns & Criticisms forum was deleted (including all threads).

Thanks again, everyone, for your input and patience.     

Quick question... is there any thought tomoving the RP Gamer Clssifieds over this way?
Something like that is definitely being discussed, though we're a bit more focused on D&D Next playtest feedback at the moment (one reason we did the D&D forums reorg before the playtest began).

Totally understandable. 
Sign In to post comments