Forum Reorganization--Preliminary Outline

243 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happened to the "Looking to Play D&D?" section?

While I have an agenda as GM of the Core Coliseum, I still feel this is an important part of the forum.
The COre COliseum just hit 1000 fights! Come join the fun and be a part of this milestone! Next pairings are set for 22 August 2012. Activate TODAY!
Blue Moon Aurora is looking for some fresh blood to populate their forums. Home of the Duet and West Pacific Supers!
Check out the other PbP games around:
Real AdventuresPbP HavenThe Guild House
Garic's CityMap of the PlanesD20 Modern
Castle of FunTerisia City and Fan FictionGleemax Roleplaying
Coalition War GameParanoia ParadiseMagic Puzzles, Fun, & Games!
My List of characters for the CoCo and other ventures
NaNoWriMo 2010 WinnerNaNoWriMo 2011 Winner
I agree with Telin Artho.

Also, I think combining Char Op and Char Dev would be disastrous.

And don't change the What's a Player to Do? and What's a Dm to Do? forums.  We tried it and there was general revulsion to the idea.

Also, I think combining Char Op and Char Dev would be disastrous.

And don't change the What's a Player to Do? and What's a Dm to Do? forums.  We tried it and there was general revulsion to the idea.

+1

Charop is all about mechanics, Char Dev is about everything else about PCs for the most part.

And whats a DM/player to do are both fairly busy and have different enough questions that they should probably be kept seperate. 

I have been requesting such threads be moved to the Previous Edition Forums in the VCL Request thread.  Sometimes it takes a few days.

But it is a bit wonky... Could something be done to ensure if happens less? Like clearly calling the first section of the D&D forums 4TH ONLY?
And whats a DM/player to do are both fairly busy and have different enough questions that they should probably be kept seperate.

Webster wasn't prposing a consolidation -- just a name change.  But we tried that and it was nearly unanimously derided as a bad idea.  (And it was my bad idea, by the way.  I'll admit I didn't realize how well-received those forum names are.  Even my wife told me I was an idiot for requesting those forum names to be changed.)
All the 4e-specific forums have "4e" as a prefix.  One would think that would be sufficiently clear. 
Sorry, I didn't include some other forums. It started as just a small section suggestion, but I kept going. ;)

Think of it as a suggestion list in progress.

The idea was to put all the "help" forums together. This would let the one shot visits (not to mention making it easier to locate a place to ask questions.) a bit away from the discussion areas.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.

I know that the errata sub-forums are out of control, but having a single one for all 4e books and magazine articles means it'll be really hard to find anything for a specific book. Most existing posts didn't make the book explicit because there was no need.

Would it be possible to have a single sub-forum for new release errata, and then have a VCL move the threads out after three months past official release of the book or article? I know sub-forums are to be avoided where possible, but that would be a lot of help for those who try to keep abreast of what needs errata immediately.

Maybe a players book errata thread, dms book errata thread (MMs, campaign settings), and one for online materials. 

Occasionally the biggest errata needs are from books that came out a while ago because something new breaks them or no one notices it at first.  It was months before anyone realised KAM needed errata and it still hasn't got it and is arguably one of the biggest things in need of errata now
Throwing this out there for debate.

With a single errata forum, would it be helpful to have a single, official thread for each product?  Any and all errata suggestions for that product could then posted to a single thread for ease of reference and to keep clutter down.

All around helpful simian

I think that would be a great idea
As long as the offical thread opening post was maintained regularly that would be good. 

In some of the errata forums there is a sticky post at the top that has all the issues people have brought up with priority rankings.  Something like that for the OP would be very helpful. 

Along with a sticky saying how the new forum handled errata requests with someone willing to close threads that dealt with individual items from books.
There are four basic types of threads.

First, there's discussion threads. "Let's talk about dwarves."
Second, there are help/help request thresds. "How should I play/build my dwarf?"
Third, there are games/contest threds. "Let's build a better dwarf!"
And fourth, there are informational threads. "Check out the new Dwarf WoTC is releasing!"

No real point here, just a thought.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
You left out "dwarves are broken! They need to be nerfed/supported more"
All the 4e-specific forums have "4e" as a prefix.  One would think that would be sufficiently clear. 

It clearly is not suffisant, we have one guy posting clearly wrong edition threads in 4th ed forums on a daily matter.
Somethign should be done more seriously.

It clearly is not suffisant, we have one guy posting clearly wrong edition thread in 4th ed forums daily.

If he's doing so daily, then he's intentionally ignoring it, and all the flashing signs in the world won't stop him.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

It clearly is not suffisant, we have one guy posting clearly wrong edition thread in 4th ed forums daily.

If he's doing so daily, then he's intentionally ignoring it, and all the flashing signs in the world won't stop him.

Sorry if not clear, I meaned that it happens on a daily away that a random guy post a thread on 3,X or Advanced or such in CLEARLY shown 4th ed area. And maybe there is repeat offenders.

Now, it is not an huge crime, or a big offence, but it is annoying. And inviting perhaps edition warfare. 
Given the recent staffing cuts, can anybody let us know what the status is of the reorganization?
This is something we will be revisiting after the holidays.  We don't have a firm timeline as of yet, but it is definitely on the list of things to do.

All around helpful simian

Here is my revised suggestion as to how the forums should be consolidated, using Steve's organization as a model.  There are now six categories and each one (except Vintage) has no more than six fora (32 forums altogether).  I think this keeps everything manageable and easy to find. 

D&D: Looking to Play?

• Organized Play (new!)
    Discuss the Wizards Play Network, Encounters, and other games organized by Wizards.

• RPGA and Living Forgotten Realms (moves and combines all forums from RPGA section and its subforums)
    Join the discussion on the 4th Edition RPGA campaign set in the heroic fantasy world of Faerûn!

• Find or Fill a Table (moves and combines all forums and subforums from RPG Gamer Classifieds)
    Seek out a game near you, or for a player to fill an opening in your game.

• Play-by-Post (new!)  (Should contain stickied links to the Virtual Table, Core Coliseum Group, and all the various play-by-post groups)
    Play online.  Advertise for players or shop for a game here, with links to the Core Coliseum and the other private and public groups dedicated to online roleplay.

D&D: Community

• What's a DM to Do? (enfolds 4e Combat: Traps, Terrain & Tactics and Houserules & Homebrew)
    Give or receive help on table management, house rules, adventure planning, and player relations, or use the forum as a sounding board for any and all ideas you have for your Dungeons & Dragons campaign! Your peers await!

• What's a Player to Do? (enfolds all forums from D&D Fundamentals not otherwise mentioned)
    Seek guidance and advice from your peers, whether you have questions on rules, character building, sticky in-game scenarios, or difficult out-of-game situations (and everything in between).  No problem or question is too difficult!

• 4e Rules Q&A (no change)
    If you want a no-nonsense discussion about what a rule means or where it can be found, ask your question here.

• 4e Character Optimization (no change)
    Maximize your character's potential, show off your optimization skills, or get help crunching the numbers here.

• 4e Other Discussion (combines 4e General Discussion and Astrid's Parlor)
    Can't find a spot for your question? Post your question about Fourth Edition here.

D&D: Products

• 4e Reviews and Speculations (Future Releases renamed)
    Want to discuss what's now, or speculate about what's next, in Fourth Edition? Discuss releases and teasers, as well as your hopes for the future of the edition.

• 4e Errata (combines all forums from 4e Books Errata, as well as Dragon/Dungeon Article Errata)
    Find or propose errata for any Fourth Edition release here.

• Online Content (combines all forums and subforums from D&D Insider not otherwise mentioned)
    Discuss Dungeon and Dragon articles, the Compendium, Character Builder, Monster Builder, and other online tools, as well as all the other content that can be found on the official website for Dungeons & Dragons.

• Board, Miniature, Skirmish, and Digital Games (combines all forums from Board Games)
    Discuss all of the non-RPG products in the Dungeons & Dragons brand, including the board games, skirmish games, and digital adaptations of the game.

• 4e Third-Party Products (combines GSL, Digital D&D, Other Published Worlds, Other Worlds)
    Wizards isn't the only purveyor of Fourth Edition-compatible products.  Find out what other publishers are doing, or ask questions about the Game System License that helps you produce your own content for Fourth Edition.

D&D: Campaign Worlds

• Homebrew Campaigns (Campaign & Adventure Workshop renamed)
    The most popular campaign world is yours.  Workshop ideas for your own campaign or mine the threads for inspiration from your fellow homebrewers.

• 4e Core World (new!)
    The Nentir Vale and its surrounding lands and planes await you.  Discuss the campaign setting created for Fourth Edition here.

• Forgotten Realms (combines FR General, Realmslore, Running the Realms and Oriental Adventures)
    The lands of Faerûn are a place of great heroes and stark evil, encompassing lands of magic, mystery, and high peril.

• Eberron (combines Eberron Lore and Running Eberron)
    The Eberron setting combines traditional medieval fantasy with pulp action and dark adventure.

• Dark Sun (no change)
    Dark Sun is set on a desert planet where magic harms the environment, gods don't exist, and psionics is commonplace.

• Gamma World (no change)
    Earth. After the apocalypse. Never mind the radiation—you’re gonna like it here. Discuss the world and gameplay of the D&D Gamma World Roleplaying Game.

D&D: Vintage

• Vintage General Discussion (combines all forums from D&D Previous Editions)
    Discuss the previous editions of Dungeons of Dragons

• Other RPGs (combines RPGs General Discussion and d20 Character Development)
    For RPG conversation, including general d20 discussion.

• Vintage and Other Character Optimization (d20 Character Optimization renamed)
    Maximize your character's potential and get help crunching the numbers here.

• Birthright (no change)
    In this classic medieval fantasy setting, descendants of the survivors of a fatal war between the gods control churches, guilds, and nations through the power inheren tin their blood.

• d20 Modern (no change)
    d20 Modern is an unbelievably flexible D&D setting that allows you to create and play exciting adventures set in the modern world.

• Dragonlance (no change)
    Dragonlance is a romantic fantasy setting detailed in the best-selling novels by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

• Greyhawk (no change)
    The original D&D setting, created from the mind of Gary Gygax himself.

• Mystara (no change)
    The house of all things related to the Outer World and the Hollow World, from D&D co-founder Dave Arneson.

• Planescape (no change)
    Sigil, City of Doors, and the planes of the Great Wheel beckon you to intrigue and adventure.

• Spelljammer (no change)
    Hoist the sails of your Spelljammer and trek across the multiverse

D&D: HQ

• Community Business (no change)
    Discuss what's happening on the forums and other community business.

• Off-Topic Tavern (no change)
    Hang out and talk about non-gaming topics with fellow gamers.

That knocks it down from about 130 subforms to 32.  I don't think its perfect, but its close enough.  Maybe a sticky for each forum saying what you are supposed to post there.
D&D Vintage(reorganizes conversations by world rather than by rules chapter)

• Vintage General Discussion (for all rules discussions)

• D20 System

• Other RPGs

• Birthright

• Dragonlance

• Greyhawk

• Mystara

• Planescape

• Spelljammer

Looks good for the most part, though I STILL have an issue with this.  I'm well aware that WotC hates all that came before 4E and wants to support it as little as possible, but there SHOULD be a different forum for Vintage CharOps instead of making those threads be folded into "General Discussion".
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
WotC hates all that came before 4E and wants to support it as little as possible

Were that true, there wouldn't be a Previous Editions section at all, and there would be no plans for a Vintage Section.

there SHOULD be a different forum for Vintage CharOps instead of making those threads be folded into "General Discussion".

Agreed.  I'll add that into my proposal.

I added proposed italicized descriptions for each of the forums in my revised suggestion as to how the forums should be consolidated, using Steve's organization as a model. 

D&D: Looking to Play?

• Organized Play (new!)
    Discuss the Wizards Play Network, Encounters, and other games organized by Wizards.

• RPGA and Living Forgotten Realms (moves and combines all forums from RPGA section and its subforums)
    Join the discussion on the 4th Edition RPGA campaign set in the heroic fantasy world of Faerûn!

• Find or Fill a Table (moves and combines all forums and subforums from RPG Gamer Classifieds)
    Seek out a game near you, or for a player to fill an opening in your game.

• Play-by-Post (new!)  (Should contain stickied links to the Virtual Table, Core Coliseum Group, and all the various play-by-post groups)
    Play online.  Advertise for players or shop for a game here, with links to the Core Coliseum and the other private and public groups dedicated to online roleplay.

D&D: Community

• Community Business (no change)
    Discuss what's happening on the forums and other community business.

• What's a DM to Do? (enfolds 4e Combat: Traps, Terrain & Tactics and Houserules & Homebrew)
    Give or receive help on table management, house rules, adventure planning, and player relations, or use the forum as a sounding board for any and all ideas you have for your Dungeons & Dragons campaign! Your peers await!

• What's a Player to Do? (enfolds all forums from D&D Fundamentals not otherwise mentioned)
    Seek guidance and advice from your peers, whether you have questions on rules, character building, sticky in-game scenarios, or difficult out-of-game situations (and everything in between).  No problem or question is too difficult!

• 4e Rules Q&A (no change)
    If you want a no-nonsense discussion about what a rule means or where it can be found, ask your question here.

• 4e Character Optimization (no change)
    Maximize your character's potential, show off your optimization skills, or get help crunching the numbers here.

• 4e Other Discussion (combines 4e General Discussion and Astrid's Parlor)
    Can't find a spot for your question? Post your question about Fourth Edition here.

• Off-Topic Tavern (no change)
    Hang out and talk about non-gaming topics with fellow gamers.

D&D: Products

• 4e Reviews and Speculations (Future Releases renamed)
    Want to discuss what's now, or speculate about what's next, in Fourth Edition? Discuss releases and teasers, as well as your hopes for the future of the edition.

• 4e Errata (combines all forums from 4e Books Errata, as well as Dragon/Dungeon Article Errata)
    Find or propose errata for any Fourth Edition release here.

• Online Content (combines all forums and subforums from D&D Insider not otherwise mentioned)
    Discuss Dungeon and Dragon articles, the Compendium, Character Builder, Monster Builder, and other online tools, as well as all the other content that can be found on the official website for Dungeons & Dragons.

• Board, Miniature, Skirmish, and Digital Games (combines all forums from Board Games)
    Discuss all of the non-RPG products in the Dungeons & Dragons brand, including the board games, skirmish games, and digital adaptations of the game.

• 4e Third-Party Products (combines GSL, Digital D&D, Other Published Worlds, Other Worlds)
    Wizards isn't the only purveyor of Fourth Edition-compatible products.  Find out what other publishers are doing, or ask questions about the Game System License that helps you produce your own content for Fourth Edition.

D&D: Campaign Worlds

• Homebrew Campaigns (Campaign & Adventure Workshop renamed)
    The most popular campaign world is yours.  Workshop ideas for your own campaign or mine the threads for inspiration from your fellow homebrewers.

• 4e Core World (new!)
    The Nentir Vale and its surrounding lands and planes await you.  Discuss the campaign setting created for Fourth Edition here.

• Forgotten Realms (combines FR General, Realmslore, Running the Realms and Oriental Adventures)
    The lands of Faerûn are a place of great heroes and stark evil, encompassing lands of magic, mystery, and high peril.

• Eberron (combines Eberron Lore and Running Eberron)
    The Eberron setting combines traditional medieval fantasy with pulp action and dark adventure mixed with a dash of noir flavor.

• Dark Sun (no change)
    Dark Sun is set on a desert planet where magic harms the environment, gods don't exist, and psionics is commonplace.

• Gamma World (no change)
    Earth. After the apocalypse. Never mind the radiation—you’re gonna like it here. Discuss the world and gameplay of the D&D Gamma World Roleplaying Game.

D&D: Vintage

• Vintage General Discussion (combines all forums from D&D Previous Editions)
    Discuss the previous editions of Dungeons of Dragons

• Other RPGs (combines RPGs General Discussion and d20 Character Development)
    For RPG conversation, including general d20 discussion.

• Vintage and Other Character Optimization (d20 Character Optimization renamed)
    Maximize your character's potential and get help crunching the numbers here.

• Birthright (no change)
    In this classic medieval fantasy setting, descendants of the survivors of a fatal war between the gods control churches, guilds, and nations through the power inherent in their blood.

• d20 Modern (no change)
    d20 Modern is an unbelievably flexible D&D setting that allows you to create and play exciting adventures set in the modern world.

• Dragonlance (no change)
    Dragonlance is a romantic fantasy setting detailed in the best-selling novels by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

• Greyhawk (no change)
    The original D&D setting, created from the mind of Gary Gygax himself.

• Mystara (no change)
    The house of all things related to the Outer World and the Hollow World, from D&D co-founder Dave Arneson.

• Planescape (no change)
    Sigil, City of Doors, and the planes of the Great Wheel beckon you to intrigue and adventure.

• Spelljammer (no change)
    Hoist the sails of your Spelljammer and trek across the multiverse

Wrecan, other than one small quibble, I give you  

Quibble: I've always referred to Eberron as "RPG Noir".  My description sounds better, but yours is better. 
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Wrecan, other than one small quibble, I give you  

Quibble: I've always referred to Eberron as "RPG Noir".  My description sounds better, but yours is better. 

Thanks!  I didn't invent the Eberron text.  I took it from the current description.  I also think of Eberron as having (potenitally) a noir feel. 
ummm d20 modern was never a setting for D&D it should jsut be "Discuss the D20 Modern Role Playing Game here."

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
ummm d20 modern was never a setting for D&D it should jsut be "Discuss the D20 Modern Role Playing Game here."

If we treat it as a RPG it's going to get folded into Other RPGs  Someone in this thread suggested that d20 Modern should be treated like a campaign setting, and I agree.  It's not active enough to remain its own forum, except as a campaign setting.  It was its own game, but it was also a setting with a very distinctive flavor.  Since there has been a call for a 4e Modern, and I see no reason why WotC might not heed that call some day, the best thing is to preserve the d20 Modern forum as a Campaign World so that if 4e Modern is ever released, it can be moved from D&D: Vintage to D&D: Campaign World.

But if people disagree, I can easily delete that forum and recommend that d20 Modern just be another one of the games to be discussed in Other RPGs.
Here is my revised suggestion as to how the forums should be consolidated, using Steve's organization as a model.  There are now six categories and each one (except Vintage) has no more than six fora (32 forums altogether).  I think this keeps everything manageable and easy to find.

Not exactly how I would do it if I were Deity, but I like it, and give it two thumbs up. (I like it even more because someone else did all the work!)
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I don't know whether this is feasible given the forum software, but I can't help but wonder: is it possible to allow each user to arrange the forum list as they see fit (saved as part of their profile, presumably)?
That would be awesome, wouldn't it?
Here's how my proposal might look with the current forum software.  Click on the image to see a full sized version.

If we treat it as a RPG it's going to get folded into Other RPGs  Someone in this thread suggested that d20 Modern should be treated like a campaign setting, and I agree.  It's not active enough to remain its own forum, except as a campaign setting.  It was its own game, but it was also a setting with a very distinctive flavor.  Since there has been a call for a 4e Modern, and I see no reason why WotC might not heed that call some day, the best thing is to preserve the d20 Modern forum as a Campaign World so that if 4e Modern is ever released, it can be moved from D&D: Vintage to D&D: Campaign World.

i guess thats fine,my other issue is

• Organized Play (new!)

Where do I dicuss the software or ask questions that relate to tournament operations, policy, development, training, and anything else involved in tournament organizing here.

the current OP forums look like this:

DCI HQ
  DCI Tournament Organizer General 
  DCI Reporter Software 
  Wizards Play Network

RPGA HQ 
 RPGA General
 RPGA Conventions

RPGA Campaigns 
 Living Forgotten Realms

then the legacy forums for the RPGA with everything over 2 years since a last post. The DCI stuff should just be left as is  since it's activity ebbs and flows and combing the three into just one forum wouldn't be that great of an idea unless oyu plan to have one massively confusing forum lol and it shouldn't be tossed under the D&D bannere since MTG is also one of the games that has organized play    the RPGA,sure that sounds like a good idea and shouldn't oyu let the VCL of that area know whats going to happen to his forums?

Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
I'm just making a proposal.  Steve Winters had a link to Organized Play in his initial recommendation, so I was just running with that.  I assume if my proposal is accepted that the Community Management will let everyone know what's planned, if they haven't done so already.

Frankly, I'd leave the WPN and DCI forums where they are, since WPN also includes MtG events.  The forum I listed is "new" -- it's only for people who plan to participate in WPN D&D events.  I don't mention in my proposal even touching the WPN or DCI forums.  But I do think RPGA should be consolidated and moved to a single forum

And someone needs to clean house on the stickied threads in the RPGA forums.  I count 15 stickies in 3 forums and 2 subforums, and most of them seem to be completely out of date.  All that information should be moved over the LFR Wiki, and then you just need a few sticky threads with a link to the Wiki.

The merged forum needs only:

All other stickied threads can be unstickied.  Each of the above stickied threads should have a link to the LFR Wiki, the Living Forgotten Realms Group, and the LFR Download Hub.

I'm just making a proposal.  Steve Winters had a link to Organized Play in his initial recommendation, so I was just running with that.  I assume if my proposal is accepted that the Community Management will let everyone know what's planned, if they haven't done so already.

honestly I'm not even sure if the VCL for the RPGA is active and the DCI forums haven't had a new VCL appointed since the last one step ed down

Frankly, I'd leave the WPN and DCI forums where they are, since WPN also includes MtG events.  The forum I listed is "new" -- it's only for people who plan to participate in WPN D&D events.  I don't mention in my proposal even touching the WPN or DCI forums.  But I do think RPGA should be consolidated and moved to a single forum

Isn't WPN D&D= RPGA?

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
Isn't WPN D&D= RPGA?

The RPGA doesn't run Encounters, does it?  I thought the WPN was a network of FLGS who participate in various events, like Encounters and Lair Assault.
Here's how my proposal might look with the current forum software.

I like that D&D General is in a new location with a new name, making it less prominent and less overt. Having it reside in the same grouping as my other favorites also lets me collapse much more of the screen!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Do we really want ComBiz to be in the middle?  As it is now, it's the first forum you see in D&D, so it stands out.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
honestly I'm not even sure if the VCL for the RPGA is active and the DCI forums haven't had a new VCL appointed since the last one step ed down

*grumblegrumble*

I will do some poking on my end about this. See if I can find out who is supposed to be in charge over there right now.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Do we really want ComBiz to be in the middle?  As it is now, it's the first forum you see in D&D, so it stands out.

That's a good question.  I'm afraid people will start using it as the new General Discussion forum. Maybe move it to the top of D&D:Products or D&D: Community?