Steve Jobs Dead At 56!!

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
 sieze the day, not garunteed tomorrow.
Rest in Peace Steve.

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
The tech world has lost a Wonka

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
I have this mental image of a bunch of Macheads sitting in vigil awaiting His Resurrection.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
Never cared for the products, but dude was a genious that much is certin. Funny how the article doesn't mention cause?

I just heard that he died a few minutes ago. I assume it was the cancer he had been dealing with? Regardless, his passing is a sad moment.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
Never cared for the products, but dude was a genious that much is certin. Funny how the article doesn't mention cause?

I just heard that he died a few minutes ago. I assume it was the cancer he had been dealing with? Regardless, his passing is a sad moment.

I believe the assumption is that it was the pancreatic cancer he's had for the last few years.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?

I believe the assumption is that it was the pancreatic cancer he's had for the last few years.

Eww, that's a not a fun way to go.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
I have this mental image of a bunch of Macheads sitting in vigil awaiting His Resurrection.

That is close to reality; the hateful church of Westboro say they will protest his funeral.

{Of course, you know already since you posted this in the group forum. Those not in the group might not know though.}

That is close to reality; the hateful church of Westboro say they will protest his funeral.

{Of course, you know already since you posted this in the group forum. Those not in the group might not know though.}

Of course they would. I'm still baffled that anyone would do anything like that.
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
I think the image linked in the HoT section regarding them says it all.

I'm tempted to make it my avatar. 
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
If you think the geeks are mourning now, just wait until Miyamoto drops dead.
The guy behind Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Star Fox, F-Zero and more.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Not to forget Killer Instinct, Wii Fit, Wii music ...
on the dutch wikipedia you can find a list .

Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
Yes, a video game developer is most certainly on the same level or above a tech genius like Jobs.  Totally.  Matrio is just as useful as an iPhone and the Wii Fit is better than a MacBook.  Yeah.  Like, for sures.

Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

"tech genius"?

Please tell me you're not one of the Macheads from the Cult of Jobs that's waiting for His Resurection.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
"tech genius"?

Please tell me you're not one of the Macheads from the Cult of Jobs that's waiting for His Resurection.

He would have to be dead first. It's all just a lie. He never died,
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Yes, a video game developer is most certainly on the same level or above a tech genius like Jobs.  Totally.  Matrio is just as useful as an iPhone and the Wii Fit is better than a MacBook.  Yeah.  Like, for sures.

Dude, that's like saying "Seth MacFarlane is crap, because Stan Lee was better".  Or "Tom Osborne deserves no respect for his accomplishments because Bear Bryant was teh AWESOMEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH EVAR!!1!!!1"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
"tech genius"?

Of course not.  Hell, I own a Droid.  I can't stand the way Apple sticks it to its followers so openly, either.  But talking about some video game developer or whatever in the same way as Jobs is patently insane.  Jobs' company made worthwhile things.  Stuff that made a difference in peoples' lives and the world itself.  Sure Mario is fun, but what use does some video game have in comparison to the stuff Apple puts out?  That's all I'ma sayin'.

Dude, that's like saying "Seth MacFarlane is crap, because Stan Lee was better".  Or "Tom Osborne deserves no respect for his accomplishments because Bear Bryant was teh AWESOMEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH EVAR!!1!!!1"

Nope.  Cuz Seth and Stan or Tom and Bear all added the same amount of whatever to the same whatever.  Jobs and other d00d is talking about two different things altogether.  Mario vs iPhone instead of Peter Griffen vs Spiderman or Nebraska vs Alabama.  Totally different comparison.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

It's not like the Phone+ or the Standard Computer+500$ was so amazing, you know. The main thing Jobs did with his products was make them userfriendly and expensive. Most of the hardware and software already existed in different forms.

He just helped pretentious hipsters use them since they couldn't figure out how to use Windows (or it was too mainstraim, or not expensive enough)

(I'm mostly kidding, but really Jobs was in no way more revolutionary then Miyamoto. One revolutionised userfriendly hardware, the other revolutionised gaming. Neither cured cancer or solved world hunger or brought about world peace or something like that. They just gave tools and entertainment to many people. Don't diss the one because you liked the other's stuff better, especially when it's uncomparable.

They are both legends in their own field.) 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Look at it this way:

Which is easier today to get by without: Mario or a smart phone (let's not forget that whether we like iOS or not, it spurred other manufacturers to get into the game to compete - whether or not that would have eventually happened doesn't matter because they did when Jobs did)?

So yeah, as I've repeatedly said, one guy made strides in a hobby and the other made strides in important facets of everyday life.  That's why I object to comparing Mario Man's accomplishments with those of Jobs.  What he did - and this will sound mean (the truth often is) - actually mattered.  While games may matter to quite a few people, if you answered the above question honestly I think you'll see what I mean.

Section Six Soldier

Wrong comparison. Jobs didn't invent the smart phone. He invented the iPhone. If you want to go that route, compare it like this:

Which is easier to get by without: a smart phone, or gaming as a whole. Since console gaming was generally considered "a dying concept" before Miyamoto and Nintendo blew new life into it. Without Miyamoto, electronic gaming as a whole might have not existed the way it does now.

You do realise that the electronic gaming industry as a whole is worth more then the music industry, or the movie industry, or the television industry? Miyamoto is one of the big names that made that happen.

So unless you're willing to say that "gaming" doesn't matter rather then "mario" doesn't matter, you're not making a fair comparison to the sheer impact these people have had on their field.

Don't diss the man just because you don't happen to like mario. He is one of the big legends that has allowed electronic gaming as a whole to exist. Just like Jobs made smartphone a big thing, Miyamoto can be thanked for the fact that iPhones come equipped with videogames. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
I estimate that you are overreacting to the statement that caused this tangent, ZB. It is simply referring to the fanbase of these two humans, not the apparent value of accomplishments contributed to the two.
When recruiters can contact job candidates through Mario, maybe you'll have a point.  Obviously any phone can do that, but a smartphone allows them to do it through many means.  The iPhone revolutionized the smartphone industry and, therefore, took it from techy-person tech to every-person tech.  It made other companies have to present a better product in order to compete.  Gaming has a use, the iPhone is useful.  There's a marked difference there.

And to the question posed as to whether it's easier to get by without a smart phone or gaming as a whole, well, my answer remains the same.  Cuz that's the one that reflects reality.  And those games that everyone is so hung up on?  Yeah, you can play 'em on your phone.  Thanks, in part, to Steve Jobs. 

Section Six Soldier

But do you think that video games are as useful or important to human society as phones? I think this is what ZB was trying to say, that phones are more important.

Yep, that's it exactly.  I'm not dissing anyone's accomplishments, I'm simply saying that, as accomplishments of this level go, Steve Jobs' matter more.  A lot more. 

Section Six Soldier

Yeah, and when the iPhone lets you take pictures of the sky and find new inhabitable planets I'll concede that it's far more useful then gaming.

For the time being, the biggest issue with gaming is that a lot of people aren't really grasping what games are capable off. Or that they feel that games are bad because their own games happen to be done without a computer.

And when you have to go around without entertainment, you'll probably go into a depression. When you go without videogames... well I'm pretty sure that with a regular phone, contractors can still call you.

But just because one deals with entertainment (which is actually super important) and the other in functional hardware (which is equally super important) you're basically lowering the massive impact both had on the world.

Try going without entertainment for a week. No phone, no books, no tv, no music, no games, no hunting, no sports, just work. Then go without a phone for a week. See which of the weeks you like better. You might not like the specific medium of videogames, that doesn't make entertainment less important to people out there, and that doesn't make someone's impact on the entertainment industry any less. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Yeah, and when the iPhone lets you take pictures of the sky and find new inhabitable planets I'll concede that it's far more useful then gaming.

You could read that article and then go to planethunters.org and help find planets on the iphone
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
No I can't. I don't have an iPhone. I could do it on any other random device that supports a browser though, because the key element to the whole thing is "harnessing the awesome power of bored people looking to have some fun", not "building a more userfriendly smartphone".

It's a shame that electronic gaming has such a bad rep. There you have one of the biggest resources in the history of humanity; millions upon millions of people with an internet connection and time to spare, and what do we do with it? Play Farmville.

Honestly, if only Steve Jobs had designed the iUsefulNow that would actually let all these people wasting their lives away behind their mac/iPhone do something productive for society, then I would've been his greatest fan Instead he goes off to make the iPhone2 (which is like the same thing but with a higher number) and we have to wait for the likes of *shiver* game designers to harness this power and do something that no amount of iPhones and macbooks could've done on their own.

At least miyamoto invented the Wii Fit which made fat people excercise for possibly the first time in their life, thereby directly contributing to the general health of lazy gamers around the world. I'd like to see Jobs improve the health level of all his users.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
No I can't. I don't have an iPhone.

That's your fault. 

I could do it on any other random device that supports a browser though, because the key element to the whole thing is "harnessing the awesome power of bored people looking to have some fun", not "building a more userfriendly smartphone".

It's a shame that electronic gaming has such a bad rep. There you have one of the biggest resources in the history of humanity; millions upon millions of people with an internet connection and time to spare, and what do we do with it? Play Farmville.

Honestly, if only Steve Jobs had designed the iUsefulNow that would actually let all these people wasting their lives away behind their mac/iPhone do something productive for society, then I would've been his greatest fan Instead he goes off to make the iPhone2 (which is like the same thing but with a higher number) and we have to wait for the likes of *shiver* game designers to harness this power and do something that no amount of iPhones and macbooks could've done on their own.

That's also your fault. As a game designer, you are fully responsible for all the time people waste.

At least miyamoto invented the Wii Fit which made fat people excercise for possibly the first time in their life, thereby directly contributing to the general health of lazy gamers around the world. I'd like to see Jobs improve the health level of all his users.

True, but he also invented the games that made them fat in the first place.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
That's also your fault. As a game designer, you are fully responsible for all the time people waste.

Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to come up with stuff like that. It's on the list though :P But there's not a lot to learn from and I don't have a lot of money, so... eventually.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!

Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to come up with stuff like that. It's on the list though :P But there's not a lot to learn from and I don't have a lot of money, so... eventually.

Excuses...

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Well if you gave me your money and then put in some hours for free, I wouldn't have as many.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Well if you gave me your money and then put in some hours for free, I wouldn't have as many.

I'm not a agme designer; you are. If you had a good idea, I wouldn't be opposed to investing. So far I haven't heard you come up with a good idea. Get to work hippie!
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

I'm not a agme designer; you are. If you had a good idea, I wouldn't be opposed to investing. So far I haven't heard you come up with a good idea. Get to work hippie!

Pfsh. Excuses.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!

Pfsh. Excuses.

What excuse? If you want I'll put in some hours on your project. Of course it'll take you about a week to fix whatever I screw up. If you're into the masochist version of game design, we can work something out.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Alright forget about the hours. Just gimme the money, I'll make some interesting games.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
No no no. Not interesting games. You are supposed to design a game that will change the wold in a similar fashion as Steve Jobs did with Apple products. Let me hear your ideas.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

How useful is that, exactly?  Can we get there?  How about this neat iPhone trick: I can email a prospective employer my resume.  Can Mario do that?  That's useful to me now - in this lifetime.  Actually, it's useful to me today

For the time being, the biggest issue with gaming is that a lot of people aren't really grasping what games are capable off. Or that they feel that games are bad because their own games happen to be done without a computer.

Games aren't capable of what smartphones and computers are.  They're just not.  I mean, unless you use Mario to word process somehow. 

Games aren't bad, they're just not as useful as stuff like phones or, you know, the equipment needed to play and design them.  You can't design Mario with Mario - you need a computer.

And when you have to go around without entertainment, you'll probably go into a depression. When you go without videogames... well I'm pretty sure that with a regular phone, contractors can still call you.

Call, sure.  Email?  Nope.  Can I bone up on the the company or the interviewer on the way to the interview with a regular phone?  Nope.  Smartphones are infinitely more useful than standard phones. 

And depression?  Cuz I don't have videogames?  If that's the case, you've got far worse problems than no Mario in your life.  Oh, I see.  You're now expanding the point to include all of entertainment.  Like this Miyamoto guy is also responsible for TV, movies, etc, etc, etc.  Well, he's not so I'm not terribly concerned. 

But just because one deals with entertainment (which is actually super important) and the other in functional hardware (which is equally super important) you're basically lowering the massive impact both had on the world.

Try going without entertainment for a week. No phone, no books, no tv, no music, no games, no hunting, no sports, just work. Then go without a phone for a week. See which of the weeks you like better. You might not like the specific medium of videogames, that doesn't make entertainment less important to people out there, and that doesn't make someone's impact on the entertainment industry any less. 

When did I attack entertainment's value?  I didn't.  I simply said accomplishments in the video game industry are not as impressive as accomplishments in a field that has actual value - value that provides a benefit to its users beyond 'whoa, that's cool'.  Cuz they aren't. 

Section Six Soldier

How many video game-related car accidents are there in an average year? How many fatalities from playing video games while driving?
By god you're right!  I guess cell phones aren't as useful as Mario! 

Section Six Soldier

How many video game-related car accidents are there in an average year? How many fatalities from playing video games while driving?

Does the guy playing the video games have to be the one to crash?
outlandishnews.com/2011/09/11/grow-house...

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this