Visualizing my creatures and the buffs they receive

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, I don't know if I'm weird about this, but I really do like to imagine my creatures standing on the battlefield and fighting eachother.

I imagine that all 1/1's have the rough fighting prowess equivalent of a Snake, 2/2's the rough equal to a Bear, and 3/3's the size and strength of an Elephant, and things above that encroach into the world of magical strength and size that the human world can't compare to.

What I have trouble imagining though is how I visualize my creatures with counters on them. I mean, I can understand -1/-1 counters as an effect of a necrotic plague inflicting deleterious effects on the creature's health, but what are +1/+1 counters doing? Making it healthier? Bigger? Magically enhanced somehow?

When my Steel Overseer uses his ability, what is he doing? Is he making all my artifact creatures bigger? Meaner? More motivated? Welding a knife to their face? I'm truly curious.
Ever watch the Zero Punctuation video game reviews? The author jokingly depicts weapon upgrade systems in shooters by drawing a guy holding a gun with another gun taped onto it. When Steel Overseer buffs my guys, I picture something along those lines.

Graft creatures are weirder. I'm not sure what to think when one buffs a creature...

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

It is kinda hard to imagine some things, like one game where my 6/6 Abbey Griffin, with four +1/+1 counters on it from Gavony Township, faced down a 9/6 Mentor of the Meek, with two +1/+1 counters on it from Elder Cathar, a Spectral Flight enchanting it, and holding a Silver-Inlaid Dagger.
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg)
I visualize them as a 2.5" x 3.5" cardboard rectangle with words and numbers printed on it, with occasional modifications to those words and numbers.
I visualize them as a 2.5" x 3.5" cardboard rectangle with words and numbers printed on it, with occasional modifications to those words and numbers.

Seriously dude this schtick is getting old.
I sometimes picture groups of creatures using their numbers and cunning to defeat something much larger than themselves. How do four Elite Vanguards kill a Khalni Hydra? They sacrifice themselves heroically as each attacks from a different direction, eventually defeating it despite heavy losses and some damage getting through to the Planeswalker commanding the human soldiers.

With Innistrad, it gets interesting. I had a reckless waif carrying a silver-inlaid dagger. She could wield it skillfully, but when the moon came out, she became a merciless predator just using the weapon as another claw. The werewolf got a -1/-1 counter from an attack into a plague stinger. The werewolf was corrupted by the Phyrexian poison, and it was barely strong enough to keep fighting. When the moon set and the sun came out, the waif became human again and collapsed dead.

When I get Bloodline Keeper and Intruder Alarm onto the battlefield, I just picture an orbiting Death Star made of vampires that can beam destruction from orbit.
Usually just a Dragonball Z Super Saiyan type of pumping up.  When my Retaliator Griffin hit 74/74, well... he was glowin' somethin' fierce!!

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

I sometimes picture groups of creatures using their numbers and cunning to defeat something much larger than themselves. How do four Elite Vanguard kill a Khalni Hydra? They sacrifice themselves heroically as each attacks from a different direction, eventually defeating it despite heavy losses and some damage getting through to the Planeswalker commanding the human soldiers.

With Innistrad, it gets interesting. I had a reckless waif carrying a silver-inlaid dagger. She could wield it skillfully, but when the moon came out, she became a merciless predator just using the weapon as another claw. The werewolf got a -1/-1 counter from an attack into a plague stinger. The werewolf was corrupted by the Phyrexian poison, and it was barely strong enough to keep fighting. When the moon set and the sun came out, the waif became human again and collapsed dead.

When I get Bloodline Keeper and Intruder Alarm onto the battlefield, I just picture an orbiting Death Star made of vampires that can beam destruction from orbit.

On a related note, the art to Elite Vanguard never made sense to me. How does the guy kill something, live, and then bow down in prayer when his toughness of 1? Maybe it was a 0/1 Goat he killed.  :/   
maybe he's kneeling because he's been mortally wounded having successfully brought down a bigger foe
When I try to visualize a battle or any kind of stuff happening in a magic game I see them as their own individual people and that they get there buffs from different things for various reasons. For example when I have Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite on the battle field I visualize my guys being experimented on by her and becoming stronger as a result, and the opponents creatures getting weaker because they are afraid of what she might try to do to them. But if say I have a couple of white creatures out and a Honor of the Pure then I visualize my guys as supporting each other and getting pumped for battle and stuff like when people go into real battles and stuff. And when you have a spell giving them [+1/+1] counters like for example Travel Preparations then I visualize that they are getting ready for a long and arduous journey and are eating and sleeping properly. But that is just me I obviously think way to much about what it would really be like if this stuff actually happened, and sorry this got so long.

Thank you for Reading

Seriously dude this schtick is getting old.

Trolls have a hard time getting bored, so I don't think he'll ever give up his game.

I like to visualize this sort of stuff occasionally, but I usually just go with some good old suspension of disbelief and assume "magic" does it all.

I know you guys think he's trolling, but this is exactly what I see as well. Any amount of imagining the creatures doing battle died off when I started playing seriously, and it became just a game of strategy. It happens to me with whenever I get into a game seriously. Take WoW for example. When I started playing, I was awed by the expansive world with all the creatures, towns, and other players. I'd read all the quest text to get a feel for what I was doing.

Fast forward six months into the game, and I'm skipping quest dialog, looking for the "mobs" I have to kill to collect 12 [Generic Worthless Quest Item], and returning to the quest giver and skipping through the reward dialog to get my item or experience. In PvP combat, when I started, I was having epic battles against my sworn enemy. Six months later, I was examining what was going on around me, barely seeing anything my character was doing. Whenever I'd get hit with a spell, I'd look to see what it was just so I knew what type of character I was fighting and think about how to kill them best.

I know a lot of you are thinking that I'm a lifeless drone who is missing the point of what Magic is for, but you know what? I like winning, I like the numbers, and the pretty pictures get boring after seeing them for the twentieth time.
What I always picture being funny is my squadron hawk, a freaking bird, holding a sword in its talons flying at someone (or their's at me). Funnier, equipping it with 2, 3 or even four swords. So you're telling me this bird has one sword per talon, one in it's mouth, and one...strapped to it's tail? I think I would like my chances agaisnt that, seeing as how it would probably be hindered in flight and uncoordinated as hell.
Like Hippie and Qmark, I don't really imagine the battle itself any more. I still get a laugh out of situations like a Wall of Air equipped with a Greatsword, though.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I'm with Qmark, and as a matter of fact he beat me to the snarky comment.  I have a wonderful imagination- I write, I read, I play RPGs, but when it comes to MTG it is just cards.  If you get to wrapped up in imagining it you start to notice the absurdities of things like a giant wurm that could welid as many swords as you want it to, and you get to the point where you do not like a card that is really good because you cannot visualize it.  When I play chess I do not imagine the pieces are animate, and I feel the same way about magic cards.  Frankly, I also cannot stand the thought of imagining MTG games as playing out like the Yu Gi Oh cartoon.  It turns it in to cheesy stock fantasy and promotes the stereotype of gamers as people who put themselves too far in to a game.
Like Hippie and Qmark, I don't really imagine the battle itself any more. I still get a laugh out of situations like a Wall of Air equipped with a Greatsword, though.

IMAGE(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/Gaara48180/wall.jpg)

Can you explain Intruder Alram to me?  I'm not properly seeing the asskickery you're explaining here. Undecided
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, all creatures are untapped by Intruder Alarm. You tap Bloodline Keeper to make a token, and when the ability resolves and a vampire enters the battlefield, Bloodline Keeper untaps, ready to make another token.

Infinite 2/2 flying vampire tokens.

Can you explain Intruder Alram to me?  I'm not properly seeing the asskickery you're explaining here.

When the Bloodline Keeper taps to make a Vampire token, Intruder Alarm would cause him to untap, and infinite Vampire tokens is indeed enough to make a Vampire Death Star.

I don't usually picture anything with the Magic battles unless it's a funny Gigantomancer interaction... but in the Innistrad prerelease, I was really tickled when I used Prey Upon to make my Village Cannibals very literally eat my opponent's Avacynian Priest

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

Flavour is great for gameplay, but it's best not to mull over it too much. There are just far too many cases where flavour makes no sense with gameplay. The example I usually use is Dancing Scimitar being equipped with Ensouled scimitar.
for travel preparations, i see it flavorfully different for each time you cast it.  the first time you cast it as a green spell, which shows them preparing in more natural ways.  eating right, packing supplies, working out, etc.  when you recast it as a white spell, it's more spiritual preparation.  getting prepared for battle to avenge your fallen comrades.  that's why the second time, the spell comes from your graveyard.

there's a similar flavor difference for rally the peasants.  the first time you cast it from your hand might be more defensive.  your opponent attacks into your weaker army, so you rally your forces with a moral pep talk "this is our independence day!" kinda stuff.  it gives them the strength to hold off most of the attack, but some are lost in the fight (since it only boosts power).  when the battle is finally over, you walk amongst the fallen soldiers and anger starts to build up and you want to counter-attack.  like travel preparations, the spell comes back the second time from the graveyard, signifying a tie to your creatures who died the first time around, only this time it means war and your opponent better hope you don't have any mountains.
for travel preparations, i see it flavorfully different for each time you cast it.  the first time you cast it as a green spell, which shows them preparing in more natural ways.  eating right, packing supplies, working out, etc.

Really?  In this action and combat filled card game you imagine people packing and eating right?  That is pretty mundane.  These are snippets of fantasy, and in fantasy people do get carpal tunnel syndrome, do not go to the bathroom (unless it is to do so on a foe), do not have mommy issues and ex-wives, and most certainly do not worry about having enough veggies and whole grains.  This is Magic, wherein the goblins are comically stupid, the boobs are always big, and even the swords use swords.
Pure fantasy is boring. I like the mundane things. We need more smart goblins too.
I gave up trying to visualize these kinds of things when I started playing Snow Devil on my Wall of Fire. Some things are just not meant to be comprehended.

It's even funnier when you play Rally on your Wall of Pine Needles. "Get them... Christmas Trees... In a line!" Yeah.....
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Plants respond to emotion, so rally makes perfect sense =)
Plants respond to emotion, so rally makes perfect sense =)

Myth backed up by poor science.

The science is pretty definitive, not that it matters, just like religion its simply what some people believe.
Maybe... but how can you rally a Wall? Walls, by definition, don't move, retreat, or advance...
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
By placing a shield in front of it? I dunno. You can be crazy like me and believe that inanimate objects have a soul, albeit smaller than living matter, and wayyyy smaller than sentient beings.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, all creatures are untapped by Intruder Alarm. You tap Bloodline Keeper to make a token, and when the ability resolves and a vampire enters the battlefield, Bloodline Keeper untaps, ready to make another token.

Infinite 2/2 flying vampire tokens.

Ahhh, got it now.  Very nice. 
I like to see Steel Overseer as adding upgrades to your artifact creatures.
The science is pretty definitive, not that it matters, just like religion its simply what some people believe.

I half agree.  The science was debunked on Mythbusters, so the belief that plants have emotion is a religious belief.
Mythbusters is great and all, but one trial doesn't really prove anything.

Neither do a million trials performed incorrectly; that's the point I was making.  There's no scientific basis to believe plants are or are not conscious except that they don't have any of the biological structures present in things we can observe to be conscious that allow them to be conscious.  If you want to believe that they have some non-physical spirit that allows them to think and feel despite their biology, that's a religious belief.  You're welcome to it, but if you pretend that it's in some way supported by reason or science, I will tell you you're wrong.
There's enough evidence.

Back on topic. Swords wielding swords. I imagine them floating next to each other.

All the studies I have read have made a correlation between plants and emotions, and correlation is not causation.

i don't know if plants respond to emotion, but they certainly enjoy being talked to, because talking is just exhaling with style, and people exhale carbon dioxide, which plants use for photosynthesis.  talking to plants is like watering them with air.  or airing them.  or something.

as for rallying a wall, i suppose if you were preparing for war and you happened to have some kind of wall-like defense, you would have some of your people put to work making sure it is in good wall-ish order.  reinforcing it and checking for cracks and things to repair.

although, to be honest, i think wizards just gave up with the whole flavor of wall/defenders when they decided to group them all in with creatures.  walls are definitely one of the weakest links in the flavor of magic.  when you can cast giant growth on a reinforced bulwark so that it can not only defend, but actually kill an attacking hill giant, you know something is wrong.  it makes sense for gameplay, because making a whole new permanent type just for walls would make cards more narrow and you'd end up with 'target wall' spells in hand when you only have creatures in play and vice versa.
There's enough evidence.

There's enough evidence to form a religious belief, yes (which is a meaningless statement).  There's not enough evidence to say that someone who believes plants do not have emotion is wrong.  A polygraph machine attached to a plant flickering a little when someone smacks the plant is not anything like proof that plants have feelings.

Also relevant.

POWER!!! Unlimited POWER!!!!!

Really, infinity in Magic is easy. My favorite of all time was Parallax Wave + Opalescence + well, Keldon Champion for beginners. Any virtual vanilla will work, of course.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt