Ten Rounds Contest- Blocks and Sets

240 posts / 0 new
Last post
First attempt to host a contest.  I know it's not an easy task and it's a lot of work.  I'm hoping you guys wil participate with enthousiasm and for my part, I'll try to be as fair and good judge as possible.

This contest will be a 10 rounds contest.  Every round, I'll give a theme for a block or a set.  In addition, I'll give you different criteria(s) and for each round, there will be different grading categories, be it balance, flavor, color conformity, originality, etc....

Each round will last 3 days (72 hours). (with the first one possibly longer or shorter since I'll probably be driving long distance in exactly 72 hours)

Total points for each cards (maybe cycle, we'll see) will always for a maximum total of 20 points + bonus points on occasion.  The winner of each round will be given 3 extra points for the final total.   If there is a tie, each winner will be given only 1 point.  The winner of the contest is the contestant who accumulates the most points after 10 rounds.

My gradings are final, you can always contest my decision but I won't change it, even if I would like to.  Best if you give a brief explanation with your entries, even though I won't take away points if you don't.

So let's do it:

Ten Rounds Contest- Blocks and Sets

First round is an elimination round to get to 12 participants for the 9 remaining rounds.

Block theme:  Ravnica - Multicolor.
Criteria:  Make a 2 colors non-legendary creature card.
Grading categories for this round

/5 -Balance
/5 -Originality
/4 -Color Conformity
/3 -Flavor
/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)

Good luck.

worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
10th round open

After 9 rounds:

162- CKY
156- Echo_Robin
156- Steinhauser
155- yarium
149- Imidazoline
141- Stigma_Lasher
138- Fakeartist
136- KrosanPeacekeeper
114- TherealphatMatt
109- ulyth
90- Ronin-Yojimbo

End Time: december 11 2011, 10h00 AM Eastern Time

worship the horn
Cytophasmimic
Creature - Insect Shapeshifter Mutant (R)
Graft 2
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Cytophasmimic, tap it, then put a +1/+1 counter on it.
: Until end of turn, target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it becomes a copy of another target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it.
0/0
Simic cytoplasm fosters some colonial grouping behaviours in its hosts while preserving variety of form. With the right stimuli, however, the cytoplasm can completely homogenize portions of its colony.

To briefly explain: The creature is a phasmid (walking stick), hence the crazy triportmanteau (that's triple portmanteau) name. I wanted to try something new with Graft; the creature can essentually Graft forever thanks to its second ability. The third ability is meant to synergize with the second: if you have the mana, you can make all your creatures copies of this, and pump new arrivals up big time. It does, however, cause those creatures to become tapped. The third ability is also quite powerful with other Graft creatures in its own right, since they start as 0/0s, so they can only get bigger by becoming clones.
Crap, a creature? I had a tottally awesome idea...

Placeholder.
Sun-Soaked Phoenix              
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, haste

Whenever you play a red spell, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Whenever you play a white spell, you gain 2 life.

2/2

Beauty and destruction entwined.

Corrupted Magistrate
Creature - Human Advisor
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, they may pay . If that player does, that player gains control of ~ and untaps ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 3 life.
, : Tap target creature.
In a religion based on corruption, is anyone truly corrupt?
4/4 
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Keep those entries coming!
worship the horn
Zing!

Dimir Notary |
Creature - Human Advisor
: Target player puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyard. Then if that player cast a multicoloured spell this turn and this ability hasn't been activataed this turn, untap Dimir Notary..
The notaries are tasked with recording every action the other guilds carry out in their assigned districts, and have license to act on behalf of the Guild.
2/2
I freaking love the Izzet guild.

For the record, I've never had a chance to play Ravnica (I only started playing with NPH), though I have looked at the cards a lot because I love the set idea.  I think this contest might be a good learning experience for me.

Izzet Wildmage |
Creature - Human Wizard (Uncommon)
When Izzet Wildmage enters the battlefield, draw a card.
When Izzet Wildmage dies, it does 2 damage to target creature or player.
Like untested metal, they are volatile, potent, and ultimately, dangerous.
2/2
Selesnya Shaman
Creature - Elf Shaman
When Selesnya Shaman enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. If that card is a creature card, put it into your hand.
:gwm:, : Each creature card in your hand gains Convoke until end of turn. (Each creature you tap while casting each of those spell reduces its cost by or by one mana of that creature's color.)
Shamans of Vitu-Ghazi are the backbone of the community.
2/2

EDIT: changed my mind about the ability cost. The time is not up, I believe, hehe...
Brief explanation: I didn't play Ravnica, but I think the block is interesting, with every color pair given their own unique theme and ability. I make this card with intention supporting the Selesnya theme of community and may be used as a tool to cast big creature one (or two, in its earliest stage, with the right kind of combination) turn sooner. With more creature on the battlefield to help dropping big creature earlier, the player is giving more threat to the opponents. Or the player could drop cheaper creature using convoke, and leave the land open to cast another spell. Basically, this card turns creatures on the battlefield into pseudo-mana creatures.

I hear colorfixing is tech.

Incandescent Wurm

Creature – Elemental Wurm (U)
6/4

When Incandescent Wurm enters the battlefield, add six mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool.

The highlight of all Gruul festivities is the wurmchant, a summons that floods the slums with magnificent color.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Lifebearer
Creature - Spirit
Lifelink, flying
Whenever you gain life, draw a card.
3/6
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Hobbled Resistance
Instant [u]
Counter target spell unless it's controller pays for each tapped creature he or she controls
Forecast — , Reveal ~ from your hand: Tap up to two target creature. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)
"It is hard to concentrate at the task at ahead when you keep staring at your feet."  
Acolyte of the Fallen | ()
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
Lifelink
As long as ~ is haunted, it gets +2/+2 and has flying.
With each death the Orzhov are lifted to still greater heights.
1/1

Haunt had so much squandered potential. Probably why it is one of my favorite mechanics to work with.
More more more!
worship the horn
Golgari Troll |
Creature - Troll
Trample
During your upkeep, sacrifice a creature or destroy Golgari Troll
Its ferocity is matched only by its hunger
4/4

Edited to make the card more in line with the flavour text (and to make it a little more balanced)

Rakdos Trickster
Creature - Human Wizard
, Sacrifice a creature: Exile your hand. At the end of turn, return the cards you exiled in this way back to your hand.
"I'm going to need a volunteer for my next trick. Watch as I make him forget everything." *STAB*
3/2 
What's the point of different grading categories each round? The purpose of designing the card should be to match the criteria and make a good card. If you change the grading criteria each round, then I have to design a card to match the criteria and match the grading criteria.

If you grade more on flavor one round, then I could make an overpowered card with fantastic flavor, but that would be acceptable because power-scale isn't being graded as much this round. That doesn't seem like good design to me.
~Wonko the Sane~
Mana Symbol Order
One color - list that color: (ubrg), (w) (brg), (wu) (rg), (wub) (g), or (wubr) Two "ally" (i.e. adjacent) colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (brg) , (rgw) , (gwu) , (wub) , or (ubr) Two "enemy" (i.e. not adjacent) colors - start in the larger of the two empty spaces, then move clockwise: (rg) (u) , (gw) (b) , (wu) (r) , (ub) (g) , or (br) (w) Three "ally" colors (Alara shards) - start in the empty space, the move clockwise: (rg) , (gw) , (wu) , (ub) , or (br) Three "wedge" colors (two adjacent and one away from the other two) - start with the "enemy" color, then move clockwise: (u) (g), (b) (w), (r) (u), (g) (b), or (w) (r) Four colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (g) , (w) , (u) , (b) , or (r) Five colors - start with white, then move clockwise:
Weirdling ()
Creature - Weird
Whenever Weirdling deals combat damage to a player, you may pay . If you do, draw a card, then discard a card.
When Weirdling dies, you may pay . If you do, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
"Not exactly as useful as intended, but still tiny and mobile enough to gather some bit of information, and blows up if neccessary. Will use this for the test run." - Izzet Guildmage Report
1/1   
I'm going away on Monday thru wednesday so I might miss a round. Nevertheless...

Golgari Husk
Creature - Human Mutant (Common)
When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, put a green 1/1 saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
In Ravnica, having the "Husk's Cough" means "helplessly ill".
2/1
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
most of the entries look awesome XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Unfathomable Abomination
Creature - Horror
Intimidate
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, that player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into their graveyard.
"The House of Dimir may be defunct, but the power it once held isn't."
2/2

Think Glimpse the Unthinkable attached to a creature.

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

What's the point of different grading categories each round? The purpose of designing the card should be to match the criteria and make a good card. If you change the grading criteria each round, then I have to design a card to match the criteria and match the grading criteria.

If you grade more on flavor one round, then I could make an overpowered card with fantastic flavor, but that would be acceptable because power-scale isn't being graded as much this round. That doesn't seem like good design to me.

Good point, but it will likely never be really different from what I have for this round.  I decided to do this mainly for blocks that ask lots of flavour (Innistrad-like) or maybe block that need the colorpie to be bended (Time Spiral), but don't worry, balance will always be important.
worship the horn
And here comes a dose of crazy.

Izzet Skybully

Creature - Goblin Artificer
Creatures with balloon counters have flying and can only block creatures with flying.
, : Put a balloon counter on each creature.
, : Izzet Skybully deals damage to target creature equal to the number of balloon counters on that creature.
Because MY balloon is the BEST balloon, that's why!
1/2

Challenge & Contest Winners
[24 Hour Challenge] Why is the rum always gone? Winner- Sebanovich
Show
Vomit Elemental :B: Creature - Elemental Tap an untapped creature you control: Vomit Elemental gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Other creatures you control don't untap during your untap step. "Drink and feed me, my followers!" 1/1
Signature
And here comes a dose of crazy.

Izzet Skybully

Creatures with balloon counters have flying and can only block creatures with flying.
, : Izzet Skybully deals damage to target creature equal to the number of balloon counters on that creature.
1/2

This is Izzet. And awesome.
Also, the second ability should probably remove the balloon counters. For crazy shenanigans with the Tibor and Lumia.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Contest Closed. 

Chaos Light has exactly 1hour to fill the placeholder.
worship the horn
12 graded and 5 to go.

Will continue tomorrow if I have time (i have a pretty big day tomorrow with home renos and drafting tomorrow night) or at least monday.  Need to relax a bit now.
worship the horn
Grades up!

Steinhauser-16/20

Cytophasmimic
Creature - Insect Shapeshifter Mutant (R)
Graft 2
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Cytophasmimic, tap it, then put a +1/+1 counter on it.
: Until end of turn, target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it becomes a copy of another target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it.
0/0
Simic cytoplasm fosters some colonial grouping behaviours in its hosts while preserving variety of form. With the right stimuli, however, the cytoplasm can completely homogenize portions of its colony.

I like this a lot.  This is a really good start and I was hoping to see stuff like this.

3/5 -Balance   -  This thing has lot of potential and I wonder if it does have too much potential. It could cost 1 or 2 more.
5/5 -Originality - Originality in its purest form
4/4 -Color Conformity  - Yep
1/3 -Flavor  - A shapeshifter usually reshapes itself, not others, and this is what it intends to do.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)
16/20

freyjann-11/20

Sun-Soaked Phoenix   
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, haste
Whenever you play a red spell, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Whenever you play a white spell, you gain 2 life.
2/2
Beauty and destruction entwined.

I have to compare this to Balefire Liege.  Really similar.

4/5 -Balance -  The fact it can target creatures makes this a tiny bit better then the liege.
1/5 -Originality -  Too similar to the Liege
4/4 -Color Conformity  - Fits well in those colors
1/3 -Flavor  - Lack the phoenix flavor, which is the graveyard recursion.
1/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  - Is this Shadowmoor?
11/20

LunaStick-11/20

Corrupted Magistrate
Creature - Human Advisor
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, they may pay . If that player does, that player gains control of ~ and untaps ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 3 life.
, : Tap target creature.
In a religion based on corruption, is anyone truly corrupt?
4/4

Flavory card but would never see print, I hope so.
0/5 -Balance   -  This is really weak.  I wouldn't pay this much for this guy.  It should at least have a mana-free activation.  Doesn't matter how big it is with drawbacks like this.
3/5 -Originality -  The originality is a bit lost in this lackluster card.
2/4 -Color Conformity  - Good white + bad black works, but you have to wonder could have I only pay white and skip the drawbacks. Yes
3/3 -Flavor  - Flavor saves the card
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  - Totally
11/20

Imidazoline-14/20

Dimir Notary |
Creature - Human Advisor
: Target player puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyard. Then if that player cast a multicoloured spell this turn and this ability hasn't been activataed this turn, untap Dimir Notary..
The notaries are tasked with recording every action the other guilds carry out in their assigned districts, and have license to act on behalf of the Guild.
2/2

This card is a bit unclear to me.  The ''Then if that player cast a multicoloured spell this turn and this ability hasn't been activated this turn'' must refers to the triggered ability and not the activated one.  The only way for it for the ''Then'' to make sense.  I'll grade it how I think it is.

4/5 -Balance   -  I'll give a penalty point for the confusing wording.  Costing is appropriate.
2/5 -Originality -  It's a milling dimir.  That's what they do.  I like the multicolour twist.
2/4 -Color Conformity  - Could have been monoblue, but in this set, works good in dimir colors.
3/3 -Flavor  - I like it.  Nice flavor text
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  - Yes, probably more then any other contestant.
14/20

yarium-14/20

Amphibious Plaxid
Creature - Ooze (Uncommon)
Graft 2 (This creature enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this creature onto it.)
,: Target creature with a +1/+1 counter on it gains islandwalk until the end of turn.
[1/1]

Nice little common that goes right into the simic family.

5/5 -Balance   -  This would be the perfect cost for it
1/5 -Originality -  Not its strenght, but you weren't aiming for this.
3/4 -Color Conformity  - Simic allright.  Could have been either green or blue, but p/t request multicolor when 3cmc.
2/3 -Flavor  - Nice name.  Lack of flavor text to go along the chosen creature type made me ask what's going on though.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  - Done
14/20

therealphatMatt-12/20

Izzet Wildmage |
Creature - Human Wizard (Uncommon)
When Izzet Wildmage enters the battlefield, draw a card.
When Izzet Wildmage dies, it does 2 damage to target creature or player.
Like untested metal, they are volatile, potent, and ultimately, dangerous.
2/2

This is a powerful card.  Firt pickable in draft and crazy.  Totally my kind of card too.

2/5 -Balance   -  Too good.  Should be powered down to either an extra mana or only 1 point of damage.
2/5 -Originality -  An izzet version of Solemn Simulacrum
4/4 -Color Conformity  - Yes
1/3 -Flavor  - Untested metal?  I don't see the conection with a wildmage.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Well done
12/20

KrosanPeacekeeper-15/20
Selesnya Shaman
Creature - Elf Shaman
When Selesnya Shaman enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. If that card is a creature card, put it into your hand.
:gwm:, : Each creature card in your hand gains Convoke until end of turn. (Each creature you tap while casting each of those spell reduces its cost by or by one mana of that creature's color.)
Shamans of Vitu-Ghazi are the backbone of the community.
2/2

Perfect exemple of what WotC would do today if (or when) a New Ravnica block would be done.  Pushing the existent and loved mechanics to have bigger impacts.  Good thing you edited your entry, makes this one much more interesting.

4/5 -Balance   -  Maybe too cheap,  but possible.
5/5 -Originality -  Nicely done.
2/4 -Color Conformity  - Feels much more green then white, especially the activated ability.
1/3 -Flavor  - Weak flavor text but the card is still flavorful.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Good
15/20

chinkeeyong-16/20

Incandescent Wurm

Creature – Elemental Wurm (U)
6/4
When Incandescent Wurm enters the battlefield, add six mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool.
The highlight of all Gruul festivities is the wurmchant, a summons that floods the slums with magnificent color.

I wasn't sure about this much colorfixing in one card in Ravnica.  The guilds give you the impression the color fixing would be paired.  Then I check in the gatherer and I was surprise there was like 6 cards that fix to any colors. And the only one that is part of a guild is Wild Cantor, another gruul card.  BTW, I love this card.

4/5 -Balance   -  While I have problem seeing this more expensive, I feel this is too powerful, if I compare to Morselhoarder
4/5 -Originality -  Simple but good.
4/4 -Color Conformity  - Does it
1/3 -Flavor  - Beauty in he Gruul societies?
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  checked
16/20

Purple_Shrimp-13/20

Lifebearer
Creature - Spirit
Lifelink, flying
Whenever you gain life, draw a card.
3/6

This is a good (and strong) card and I could see this printed one day, but in any multicolour block, not necessarily Ravnica, even though it fit Azorius.  Other contestants so far have been pushing their chosen guilds further with exploration of mechanics, or by bringing something new to the old Ravnica. This one doesn't do much of either.

4/5 -Balance   -  Should cost one extra mana.  Lowering the power to have the creature fits the mana is easy.
3/5 -Originality -  It is.  But then I thought of Well of Lost Dreams.
4/4 -Color Conformity  - It does.
1/3 -Flavor  - No flavor text is ok but here only the name gives a sense of flavor.
1/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Like I said, could be in another multicolour set.
13/20

Daytime Lantern-9/20

]Hobbled Resistance
Instant [u]
Counter target spell unless it's controller pays for each tapped creature he or she controls
Forecast — , Reveal ~ from your hand: Tap up to two target creature. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)
"It is hard to concentrate at the task at ahead when you keep staring at your feet."

This saddens me.  A poster I like who does something like this.  How could you not respect the criterias!!!

2/5 -Balance   -  This is a weak and strong spell.  The spell is mediocre but the ability is damn powerful.
3/5 -Originality -  Nothing extravagant but nice concept.
2/4 -Color Conformity  - It's ok but but I'll give penalty points here since I can't give minuses in the last grading category.
2/3 -Flavor  - The flavor text suits your entry
0/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Sadly, this should kick you out.
9/20

Echo_Robin-18/20

Acolyte of the Fallen | ()
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
Lifelink
As long as ~ is haunted, it gets +2/+2 and has flying.
With each death the Orzhov are lifted to still greater heights.
1/1

I disliked haunt, cause it was a mechanic that was too impredictable, unless you build around it, but it didn't have the proper tools for it.  This is what it was lacking.

5/5 -Balance -  Cost is right, playable in limited with constructed potential.
4/5 -Originality -  Feels like everything falls into place, even in its simplicity.
3/4 -Color Conformity  - It fits enough, with a stronger white feel to it.
3/3 -Flavor  - Flavor is strong.  Orzhov all the way.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Right there.
18/20

Ginolard-9/20

Golgari Troll |
Creature - Troll
Trample
During your upkeep, sacrifice a creature or destroy Golgari Troll
Its ferocity is matched only by its hunger
4/4

Not a fan of multicolour card that uses one side for its strenght and the other for its weakness.  Its a good try though and we'll see where it leads.

3/5 -Balance -  I'm not sure I would play this in a draft and it doesn't bring much to a casual deck.
1/5 -Originality -  We've seen this before.
1/4 -Color Conformity  - green makes it trample, even though we've seen trample in black.  Yeah, this should be monoblack.
1/3 -Flavor  - It's a troll but there's nothing specifically pointing it should be,especially with no regenerating ability.  Flavor text makes me think of a beast.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Yes I guess.
9/20

ulyth-13/20

Rakdos Trickster
Creature - Human Wizard
, Sacrifice a creature: Exile your hand. At the end of turn, return the cards you exiled in this way back to your hand.
"I'm going to need a volunteer for my next trick. Watch as I make him forget everything." *STAB*
3/2

A Rakos card that does everything Rakdos wants: creatures dying and emptying its hand.  It's a shortcut that Rakdos isn't used to do though.

3/5 -Balance -  It's a strong card for his guild.  It cuts corners and frankly, I'm not sure it should.  It makes every other hellbent so much better.
3/5 -Originality -  It's ok although a bit plain.
3/4 -Color Conformity  - I can see this being rakdos colors, but I can also see it being monoblack or dimir colors.
1/3 -Flavor  - This is a bit too tricky for the Rakdos Guild.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Done and done.
13/20

Stigma_Lasher-16/20

Weirdling ()
Creature - Weird
Whenever Weirdling deals combat damage to a player, you may pay . If you do, draw a card, then discard a card.
When Weirdling dies, you may pay . If you do, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
"Not exactly as useful as intended, but still tiny and mobile enough to gather some bit of information, and blows up if neccessary. Will use this for the test run." - Izzet Guildmage Report
1/1 

Unsure about this.  While I really like it, feels more like Shadowmoor, with a strong feel of color matters.  Still, could work or the next Ravnica next.

5/5 -Balance -  It reminds me of an earlier submission but under control.
3/5 -Originality -  Nothing over the top but feels fresh
4/4 -Color Conformity  - Obviously yes.
3/3 -Flavor  - Flavor is unreal.
1/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Can't shake out the Shadowmoor feel.
16/20

Lobster667-11/20

Golgari Husk
Creature - Human Mutant (Common)
When ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, put a green 1/1 saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
In Ravnica, having the "Husk's Cough" means "helplessly ill".
2/1

A bit of lack of effort.  This is something I would play even though I would wonder how it would go through development without changes.

4/5 -Balance -  This is on the overpowerd side.  Not by much but just a tiny bit with the ''from anywhere''.
2/5 -Originality -  Clearly the weakness of this submission.  We've seen this many time, even in Ravnica with Golgari Germination.  The ''from anywhere'' saves it a bit.
0/4 -Color Conformity  - This is not monoblack.  Should have been gold and not hybrid.  Or green.
2/3 -Flavor  - Fits the golgari well.  Flavor is average/good.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Yes.
11/20

fakeartist-17/20
Unfathomable Abomination
Creature - Horror
Intimidate
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, that player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into their graveyard.
"The House of Dimir may be defunct, but the power it once held isn't."
2/2

My personal favourite of this round.  If Ravnica 2.0. ever come out, this would be printed exactly has written, I can garantee you. It would have been fitting well in 1.0. but because of Glimpse and no Fear, it owuld have look repetitive.  Excellent addition of a newish keyword to an old set.

5/5 -Balance -  Nice!
2/5 -Originality -  Like you say yourself: ''Think Glimpse the Unthinkable attached to a creature.''.  But few points cause it makes too much sense.
4/4 -Color Conformity  - Dimir all the way.
3/3 -Flavor  - Awesome name + great flavor.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Done
17/20

Ronin-Yojimbo-13/20

Izzet Skybully 
1/2

I remember Izzet being sneaky and crazy.  This is crazy but not sneaky, more goofy.  And I miss some of the flavor.  It gives flying to creatures, so it goes high in the sky, then pop the balloon so the creature falls to its death.  But the mechanics doesn't work well with it, neither does the flavor text.

3/5 - Balance -It's kinda slow, and a bit unfun (even though it looks fun to look at).  But I do think it's rightly costed.
3/5 - Originality -  Yes, that it is. But feels forced.
4/4 -Color Conformity  - No problem with that
0/3 -Flavor  - The card itself is a mish mash of craziness, but it makes little sense to me. Especially for the Izzet.
3/3 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)  -  Yep.
13/20

1st round Winner is:
Show
Echo_Robin!!!

who gets 3 extra points and an extra reward (see new criterias for next round)!

Sadly, some of you have to go
Show

Freyjann
LunaStick
Daytime Lantern
Ginolard
Lobster667

I'd appreciate if you guys/girls would stick around to comment or criticize.

Second round

Block:  Arena (In a savage world, only the strong survives and gladiators fight).  Combat phase matter.  Mechanics that encourage solo fighting are numerous.

Criterias: Echo_Robin, you get to chose either aura or equipment be the criteria for this round.

New grading system.  With the concern brought up by Outside_the_Asylum I'm gonna make this being fixed for all rounds.  Even while grading, I noticed there was issues with cards I didn't know how grading, because of that I'll add a new category named ''plausibility'', meaning if it could see print.  I will also give less importance to originality and more to RfTaC.
/4 -Respect for theme and criteria(s)
/4 -Balance
/3 -Plausibility
/3 -Originality
/3 -Color Conformity
/3 -Flavor
If anyone see any problems with that, please tell me now.  I'd love to have feedbacks concerning the grading system (and concerning anything really).

BEFORE DOING YOUR CARD, WAIT FOR ECHO_ROBIN TO PICK THE CRITERIA. (will it be an equipment, or an aura?)

worship the horn
With all due respect, I think you're a bit harsh on the simpler cards. You said you'd like to see some commons, so I took up that glove. Going through the ratings one by one, I'm not disappointed in the Balance department although it's pretty hard to cast on turn two. I considered lowering it to (). Originality, I'm a bit upset about. Being original on commons is hard, I know, but I feel that I did pretty well here. The card has some really interesting interactions with the mechanics of both Golgari and Rakdos, and the design is elegant enough that that should shine through. I don't like the colour conformity issue, this is quite clearly a Green/Black card in terms of Ravnica; Black generally cares about death (and, in Ravnica, also cards being put into the yard by other means such as dredge, mill and discard), and the Green is quite clearly the token part. On a common, I'd even argue that a 2/1 body in its own right is a bit black, but then again White, Red and Blue has recently gotten a 2/1 for two too. Flavor's fine, I guess, and I'm not complaining about that last grade either

I hope I'm not sounding too ranty here.

I'm not good at staying updated with threads I'm not actively following, so I don't know how much feedback I'm going to be worth.
Ah heck, I knew that entry was poor.  I even thought to myself, last night, "damn it, trolls are meant to be regenerating and it's really just another Lord of the Pit" variant.

I'll do better next time!!
Ah heck, I knew that entry was poor.  I even thought to myself, last night, "damn it, trolls are meant to be regenerating and it's really just another Lord of the Pit" variant.

I'll do better next time!!

I'm sure you will.  Thanks for participating.
worship the horn

I see your points and can't say I disagree (except for the part monoblack produces tokens upon death), but I know everyone will have some problems of some kind with my gradings, which I'm trying to be better at.

Sent you a PM.
worship the horn
While I admit it was slapped together quickly, the flavor reference to the wildmage was that untested metal is an unknown: it may be brittle, may be durable, and its effects are inherently uncontrollable (because it has not been appropriately measured to be used as a material in some implement); similarly, the Wildmage's second effect is a little wild and uncontrollable; it's a "shock" that goes off at a moment that the Wildmage himself can't control, and when someone sticks a knife in his gut, they probably aren't expecting to get a faceful of electricity.  That's the flavor.

That said, it did need to cost at least
I knew Echo_Robin was going to win the round. I had a similar idea, btu he beat me to the punch and did a better job. Great work.
Oh, yay for choices. Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Mo; let's do Auras.
v 1.01
The Deuler's Call
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature has "at the beginning of each opponent's combat phase, you may tap all other creatures you control. If you do your opponent chooses a creature he or she controls, tap all other creatures that player controls. The chosen creature attacks turn if able."
A battle is not determined by the number of soldiers in an army, but the pride and honor of those that lead them.

v 2.00 with help from Imi

The Deuler's Call
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has "at the beginning of each opponent's combat phase, you may tap all other creatures you control. If you do, choose a creature that player controls, then tap all other creatures that player controls. The chosen creature attacks this turn if able. Enchanted creature blocks this turn if able."
A battle is not determined by the number of soldiers in an army, but the pride and honor of those that lead them.

v 3.00

Deuler's Call
Enchantment Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature cannot be blocked by more than one creature.
A battle is not determined by the number of soldiers in an army, but by the pride and honor of those that lead them.

---

The idea behind this card is very centered around a duel. To get what I mean here's part of an episode of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that revolves around an enemy general challenging the opposing army. One by one officers go out to duel the general and lose until Guan Yu, Sainted Warrior goes out and defeats him:

youtu.be/Bz_ZGmURCzE

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

Sweetness.

'Cool' card scratched for inelegance
Ritual Combat | ()()
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature you control
When enchanted creature untaps, it fights another creature you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if enchanted creature fought this turn, it gets +4/+4 and gains first strike until end of turn.
When enchanted creature dies, you may attach Ritual Combat to a creature enchanted creature fought this turn.
Being the champion means always proving it.

People's Champion |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has 'Each other creature you control has exalted'.
"They roar not for me, but I for them."
Battle-Hardened Predator
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Whenever enchanted creature fights, if its power is at least three greater than the toughness of the creature it fought, draw a card. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature has ": This creature fights target creature an opponent controls."
As the beast grew, its meals became snacks, and its snacks became smudges.

The flavour of this is a scrappy veteran predatory animal that attacks other creatures, perhaps as part of a coliseum show. The little ones it eats for nourishment, and the bigger ones it fights for a challenge, and thus gets stronger in the process.
Fighting Spirit |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature attacks alone, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of enchanted creature tapped and attacking. That token has "Sacrifice this at the beginning of the end step."
A true warrior is never alone.
Mark of Courage | :rwm:
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When enchanted creature attacks, it fights target creature an opponent controls.
Totem armor
The brave are protected by more than steel and stone. Honor, virtue, courage: these will bear you to victory. These will bear you home.

Being willing to rush into the fray feels very red (and fighting has been seen to be a red mechanic, a la Nightfall Predator), but the "honor" aspect of the card feels white, hence the hybrid mana cost; I feel like it could go in either color.

EDIT: made it that you had to fight whenever it attacked.  Giving it the choice made it pretty nuts. 
Denial of Disciplines 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature fights, blocks, or is blocked by a creature with First Strike, that creature loses First Strike and enchanted creature gains First Strike.  The same is true for Flying, Trample, Lifelink, Deathtouch, Vigilance, Double Strike, Intimidate, Shroud, and Hexproof.  (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
"Just because an opponent retains his weapons doesn't mean he hasn't been disarmed." - Azure Illusion, Arena Legend

Simple idea overall.  Tried to think what tactics a blue combatant would employ against enemies.

Challenge & Contest Winners
[24 Hour Challenge] Why is the rum always gone? Winner- Sebanovich
Show
Vomit Elemental :B: Creature - Elemental Tap an untapped creature you control: Vomit Elemental gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Other creatures you control don't untap during your untap step. "Drink and feed me, my followers!" 1/1
Signature