Stupid literal interpretation of wealth rules

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the CB entry for starting at a level higher than 1st, it mentioned I can have 3 magic items, currency appropriate, and any mundane items.

Taken literally this would allow me to start with a zillion everburning torches which I could sell for lots of dosh.

Are there other things which when interpreted literally lead to all kinds of silliness?
Playing Scales of War

Rogue.jpg

Taken literally, everlasting torches have no market value once a PC smudges them with their grimy little hands, so your "clever" plan is dead in the water.

Pretty much this.  Mundane items have zero resale value -- they removed the need to handwaive stuff like this for simplicity's sake, and I'm pretty sure the "hoard all the mundane items for a profit" got old real quick -- so even if you could, by the rules, obtain infinite sunrods, you couldn't make a profit off them, just ensure that you never have to worry about not having a Wizard with a Light spell around.
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Literally interpreted the rules also say "any amount of mundane items within reason". Your literal interpretation is conviently ignoring the part where it says "you have some freedom, don't be a dick about it".
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
As others have pointed out, RAW says that mundane items cannot be sold for profit.

On a similar note though, unless there's been some errata to it or it was reworded in the RC, ritual components were listed on the same table of adventuring gear that you could have in unlimited supply.  So, you could in theory have as many Alchemical Reagents as you wanted for enchanting magic items.  Not that any DM in the world would ever allow you to pull such BS.  That issue has probably been fixed since original publication, but I don't have my books and I don't have DDI anymore.
I forget how long ago this trick was spotted, quite distant by now.

If you start during level 1, instead of at level 1,
you could get the gold of a level zero magic item,
and a level zero magic item; to go with the
expected level 1 item and level 2 item.
Sounds interesting whatever it might be.

Let's see:
Bard at level 3 gets a loop, via Gygax's Guitar Heroes.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Duplicate ritual can be abused. I like it with a minor nerf.
The LFR guys started doing tricks with Creation rituals rather early.
Magewrights in Eberron are technically a loop, but not in practice.
NPC's in general have how much moolah ?? !!

So ... of course the answer is: don't.
(yawn)

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.