What does modern red style have to offer?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello all who reply i've just started playing and from what i've learned red seems to be the color for doing the dmg but, i'm curious as to what other colors seem good and why because i am willing to learn and take advice but i don't want any negative comments just possibilities for strats. I've also choosen to do modern due to all the different sets you can use but i'm stuck on whether i should do a duo or stay strict red (keep in mind i'm a beginner but i'm still open to some starting duo possibilities) also, if you have some technical terms you use or abbrev. put them in () so i'll know, this is just a hobby for me not a serious competion thing i'll be doing anytime soon.
thanks to all the help.

Hello all who reply i've just started playing and from what i've learned red seems to be the color for doing the dmg but, i'm curious as to what other colors seem good and why because i am willing to learn and take advice but i don't want any negative comments just possibilities for strats. I've also choosen to do modern due to all the different sets you can use but i'm stuck on whether i should do a duo or stay strict red (keep in mind i'm a beginner but i'm still open to some starting duo possibilities) also, if you have some technical terms you use or abbrev. put them in () so i'll know, this is just a hobby for me not a serious competion thing i'll be doing anytime soon.
thanks to all the help.

All colors aim to do damage in one way or another. Red excels at utilizing spells that directly target the opponent or attacking with creatures with Haste. A problem that mono-red has typically had in the past is that it tends to run out of gas. You play all your direct damage ("burn") spells and play all your small, fast creatures, leaving you with an empty hand and no resources to defend yourself. It's often paired with green and black to add long term game.
Alright that sounds good but i'm not sure what color to go with though should i go with green or black or should i pick another too many choices for my head to ponder on but i know that all the different colors have there own themes and different ones compliement some of the others but which ones is black and green better than white or blue and for what reasons?
Alright that sounds good but i'm not sure what color to go with though should i go with green or black or should i pick another too many choices for my head to ponder on but i know that all the different colors have there own themes and different ones compliement some of the others but which ones is black and green better than white or blue and for what reasons?

Green tends to have larger creatures to play late game and black tends to have ways to draw cards and destroy creatures too large to kill with red damage spells. But this is all very general stuff and not entirely applicable to the modern format itself, which has a unique metagame full of very finely tuned decks that don't necessarily fit into common color stereotypes.
Ok so from a beginners stand point black would be the better of the two but in this format strats are endless and almost any typical type of certain certain decks are altered and changed...well i did expect that the change could be made but from what it sounds like this could be something that can and does change drasticly so you don't know what to expect just be prep'd as best as possible right or is there something i'm missing?
Ok so from a beginners stand point black would be the better of the two but in this format strats are endless and almost any typical type of certain certain decks are altered and changed...well i did expect that the change could be made but from what it sounds like this could be something that can and does change drasticly so you don't know what to expect just be prep'd as best as possible right or is there something i'm missing?

Honestly, from a beginer's standpoint I'd play sligh or RDW.

It's fast, you can get some nut draws, it teaches you how to cut cards you love ("doesn't fit the card, can't win the game... well, out it goes!) and is fairly straightforward to play, albiet it's not entirely linear. It'll also teach you how to play around things like counters and other decks with bigger creatures... and it tests other decks. Are they fast enough to interact to survive? It teaches you to think about things like that.

Black can be very simple, but you have to learn disruption and to treat everything like a resource, particularly your life total. That's hard for some people.

A "Sligh" deck runs very few land (maybe 20-21), and almost entirely tiny creatures+burn. Think a 20/20/20 mix. Red gets crappy creatures, but you can still get some very efficient stuff. Think a whole bunch of creatures for 1 mana, some 2 mana, maybe some 3-mana creatures, but they'd better have haste or be the scariest thing every for 3 mana. For burn, well, Lightning Bolt is amazing, and the variations also follow. You drop a t1 creature, either burn blockers away and swing or else drop another creature turn two (sometimes you do both), burn blockers, swing... and rack of damage very quickly. Don't be afraid to trade creatures if others will get through and they're starting to drop stuff you can't really deal with. Then, when that happens, you turn around and use your remaining burn to... burn their face off. Burn, while limited, can either be used as removal *or* to win outright, which is why it works so well in this manner. You're emptying your hand fast, and may find yourself topdecking, hoping for a win, but ultimately you're, in a way, making their hand effectively missing a lot of cards, because you're playing a game that involves the first four turns, not the ones where more expensive cards matter.

RDW is a variation on this based on the fact that creatures have been getting better and for a long time burn wasn't as good. It features a bit more land, more creatures and only the choices of burn spells. It does the same thing, but focuses more on beating face with creatures. It usually has gas a bit longer, plays sliiiiightly slower and is somewhat less prone to dying outright to lifegain. It's... what people mostly play now, although this is made more confusing by the fact that people now use the term "RDW" to mean both.

Sligh showed up back in the 90s, when everyon was mostly playing mana acceleration for a while and then dropping HUGE creatures.

RDW really hit recognition as "RDW" sometime around, (and I may be off here) Time Spiral block, although it's roots were earlier. There were some awesome creatures, some of which did just mean you won as soon as you dropped certain 3cc creatures.

In any case, I'd start with something monocolored and relatively simple.
Starting with a pre-made and then tweaking it to suit what seems to work is a good way to go.

Don't worry about being "competitive" until you've played enough to know what you enjoy and what seems to work. Read a bunch, play a bunch, then focus on getting good. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Sign In to post comments