can I fight a tapped creature?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
can I use prey upon on a tapped creature?

Yes you can, since it says target creature and not target untapped creature.
Sure. There's nothing in the fight rules that say both creatures must be untapped, so you can fight a tapped creature.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Yep. Fighting is not Combat in Magic, despite those words being synonymous outside the game., and so does not require tapping like being declared as an attacker does.

ΦΦΦΦΦ
Sure. There's nothing in the fight rules that say both creatures must be untapped, so you can fight a tapped creature.

More so, the rules don't even say anything about either creature being untapped. So you can fight targeting two tapped creatures if the ability or spell you are using doesn't say otherwise. 

701.10. Fight

701.10a A spell or ability may instruct a creature to fight another creature or it may instruct two creatures to fight each other. Each of those creatures deals damage equal to its power to the other creature.

701.10b If a creature instructed to fight is no longer on the battlefield or is no longer a creature, no damage is dealt. If a creature is an illegal target for a resolving spell or ability that instructs it to fight, no damage is dealt.

701.10c If a creature fights itself, it deals damage equal to its power to itself twice.

701.10d The damage dealt when a creature fights isn‘t combat damage.

DCI Rules Advisor 06/15/2011

I never let my mind wander. It's too small to let it go off by itself

CCG achievements Still calls the games CCGs and not TCGs... bah, young 'uns!

Decipher games 2001 North American Continental Champion - Inaugural Hall of Fame Inductee - Responsible for killing Young Jedi CCG (really!)

Wizards of the Coast games Won my one and only Pokemon tournament using only Pikachu and Raichu in the deck - and declaring loudly "PEEE-KAH-CHUUUUU" -- true story.