How much D&D do you allow into Gamma World?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Given that Gamma World uses the basics of D&D 4e as its engine it leaves out a lot of the further complexity that D&D 4e has built into it.  How much of these further options and mechanics do you allow into your own personal games?

For instance, what do you say to a player that says he wants to charge an opponent? What do you say when a player wishes to Bull Rush? Etc, etc.

Thanks in advance! 
I allow it.  It hasn't been an issue.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Agreed, in fact I bought a copy of the Rules Compendium specifically for my Gamma World games.

All of the above; I will add;
death saving throws below 0 hitpoints,
negative bloodied hitpoints threshold for death,
substitute nature or silence for healing check for first aid and stablize.

In the sessions played so far, we sometime forget what rules are and are not avalible so , when someone wants to use a particular rule and we're not sure, we check the Gamma World rules. If the rule isn't there it is not part of the game. The group's reaction is "Huh, I guess it's not nessesary." We consiter rules not used were left out to speed up this particular game and we're okay with that. The only thing I use from D&D is the Monster Vault for more opponents.

The game is ment too be fast and fun. That's why we play GW when we want a change of pace to D&D's style.

what do you say to a player that says he wants to charge an opponent?

From the forum FAQ, if desired:
"Can you crawl or charge in Gamma World? Although these options are not in the D&D Gamma World rulebook, some text (examples: the prone description or the Felinoid Killing Bite power) mentions them, so normal D&D rules can be applied if desired"

What do you say when a player wishes to Bull Rush?

I would be speechless (since I never see players use Bull rush), but I'd allow it (though more as an 'improvised' adjudication to cover an unusual circumstance). Seriously though:  D&D rules clarifications are very useful in Gamma World. D&D rules additions though would probably be handled on a case by case basis (since many were deliberately removed).

..,  The game is ment too be fast and fun. That's why we play GW when we want a change of pace to D&D's style.

Although we have found the game lots of fun, it is not as fast or easy as the skimpy rulebooks may imply.  By 5th level players will have quite a number of choices with 4 origin powers, two alpha mutations and a half dozen omega tech items.  Each, of those choices have some game effect attached to it and or attack bonuses, damage bonuses to figure out as well as conditions to apply and track.  The skimpy rule books and the card mechanics imply a fast and easy game,  but in practice the game is quite complex especially by mid-level.
Sign In to post comments