Kara-Tur: One month only or ongoing?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I notice that this month's Dragon includes a number of articles related to a 4e version of Kara-Tur.  Does anyone know if this is a one-time-only deal or whether future issues will contain support for the setting as well?

Probably one month only, but if someone submits something snazzy enough, who knows?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Kara-Tur is the October theme. 

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.
Read "One month only."
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg
It is just one month only, but I would not be surprised if Wizards will look at this as one of the better tests for how interested subscribers are in tight themes. This month's theme is stronger than previous ones, such as the contests one that had articles on jousting and other contests.

Also, there should be at least one more Eastern-themed adventure, from what is written at the end of today's Design & Development column (I'm the author). I'm not sure when it will come out, but it is additional content that fits the theme very closely. I suspect there could be others if interest remains high. I'm really pleased with this issue (independent of how good/bad my own contribution is) and personally would like to see more of the themes relate to settings and more settings see more than just one month of DDI support.

How do others feel about this? Does one month of Kara-Tur leave you wanting more in the near future, or ready to move on to a different topic for a while?

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

this is the first issue with any discernable theme
yeah so far ive seen Ninja, sohei and hordemaster. Rune priest and monk articles are still coming which i speculate to be shujenga build for RP and maybe tattooed monk and Shintao monk. This really just leaves the Wu Jen for class options and i would like to see the Iaijutsu master released as either a paragon path or a build option for making a non armor wearing skirmisher that uses a 2h sword. It was very flavorful they had the theme going where they had amazing initiative, and had an insane nova round if they got to act before you drew your sword. And we got the Hengeyokai which im not complaining at all i loved the article but the spirit folk (which can be genasi now that i think about it), nezumi "Ratlings" and Vanara. Rokugan was one of my favorite settings second only to maybe darksun and ravenloft.

But i really do like issues that in general stick to 1 or 2 themes at most having a bunch of disconnected articles dont really do alot. I must say though this month was almost as much information in what could have been published as actual setting material. This is probably one of the best issues out so far.
I'd like to see an official vanara, and an idea how to do Korokoburo(spelling?) (I think of Gnomes with a certain reflufing, racial feat..).
I'd like to see an official vanara, and an idea how to do Korokoburo(spelling?) (I think of Gnomes with a certain reflufing, racial feat..).

Dwarves with variant fluff.

Dwarves with variant fluff.

Since Gnomes changed in PoLand - I see them oddly as a better fit for the look at least.
Those oriental dwarves had a different morphology to a point, slimer quite, kinda like some fey thing of the east... 
They look like whatever you want them to look like.  What morphology any race has is irrelevant.

The sidebar describes them as 'dwarflike', says they live simply as hunters and farmers, they're backwards and primitive, and venerate primal spirits.

That doesn't really say '+2 INT, +2 CHA or DEX, racial ability to turn invisible, Ghost Sound, bonuses to Arcana and Stealth, bonus against illusions' to me.
They look like whatever you want them to look like.  What morphology any race has is irrelevant.

The sidebar describes them as 'dwarflike', says they live simply as hunters and farmers, they're backwards and primitive, and venerate primal spirits.

That doesn't really say '+2 INT, +2 CHA or DEX, racial ability to turn invisible, Ghost Sound, bonuses to Arcana and Stealth, bonus against illusions' to me.

That sounds to me kinda like gnomes in a  way, but 'primitive' gnomes. OR 'ghostwise' halflings of FR...

Or a gnome body with a (wild) dwarf culture...

Morphology of a race IS important. Elves not gonna have a Con bonus, no? fact, in days of old, they had a MALUS at it. 
What you are confusing is 'rules' and 'fluff'.  You can describe your elf as burly, bulky, and musclebound regardless of his racial stat adjustments.  Similarly, you can take the dwarf racial stats and apply them to the Korobokuru and say that they are slender if you wish.
Not to mention that the Spirit Folk race mentioned alongside them is basically an Oriental Deva.

Yeah, Dwarves and Devas of Kara-Tur.  That actually would be a cool article too.

But here's hoping Samurai and Yakuza arrive this afternoon, because they've only got today left.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Any idea when this will all be released into compendium and builder? I've been checking for months waiting.
Any idea when this will all be released into compendium and builder? I've been checking for months waiting.

Everything except for the hengeyokai has been in there since December.  I expect the hengeyokai will appear next month.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon