Custom Portrait - Need help!

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just can't seem to get the Custom Portrait feature to work.  I don't consider myself a newbie when it comes to these type of things but I sure am feeling like one now!

It would be really helpful if someone who has had success could give me some step by step advice.  Maybe a link to a URL that definitely works?  

Also, is anyone able to paste a URL in the Custom Portrait box?.  I am unable to, I just get a Silverlight pop-up.

Thanks!

It's a simple process. Off the top of my head, I suspect the problem is in the image URL that you're using.

1. Create your image. An image with an aspect ratio of 5:4.5 (w:h) is best.

2. Put that image on the web. If you don't have storage space from your ISP, then you can put it in your Onesite or Facebook gallery.

3. Note the URL of the image.

4. Open your character in the CB.

5. Go to the "Details" tab.

6. Click "Set Portrait."

7. Paste in the URL of the image. 

8. Click "Select."

That should be it.

Here's the URL of an image that works for me -- http://bit.ly/pDZdW4

If you're pulling an image from Onesite or from Facebook, the URL must display nothing but the image -- there can be no surrounding dynamic frame or controls, like Facebook in particular likes to add. On Onesite, you can select "view full-size image" to get the correct URL. On just about any website, that URL can be gotten by right-clicking on the image and selecting "copy image URL" (Chrome), "copy image location" (Firefox), or "Properties" and then copying the URL (IE). If you're not sure, paste the URL into your browser's navigation bar and open it; if anything besides the image appears, then you can't use that URL and need to find the right one. 

If that still doesn't work, there might be something more mysterious going on.

Steve 
If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.
Thank you for the help.  I was able to use your URL and it worked but I still can't seem to use my own.  I downloaded my image (4.5x5) to picasa and tried mine agsin but still can't get it to work.

Another issue I have is that I cannot copy and then paste into the Custom Portrait box in the Character Builder.  When I right click in the box I just get a "Silverlight" message.  Is this normal?

Thanks
Thank you for the help.  I was able to use your URL and it worked but I still can't seem to use my own.  I downloaded my image (4.5x5) to picasa and tried mine agsin but still can't get it to work.

Another issue I have is that I cannot copy and then paste into the Custom Portrait box in the Character Builder.  When I right click in the box I just get a "Silverlight" message.  Is this normal?

Thanks

ctrl + v = paste.  right clicking in silverlight is less than useless.
hi,
i also can't get it to work. what units are used for pic dimensions?  i was trying to get it to grab from picasa website, it won't grab from picasaweb. must be something with the way google make the 'image only' links.
mandy.
Thanks for all the help!  I have it working now!
I am also having trouble trying to get this to work.  I am trying to pull from picasa like mandymaz and I can't get it to work.  I have the image resized and I "copy image location" and crt+v's into the character builder and it just comes up as a blank square.  I pasted the url into my browser and it popped up a page with only the image on it.  Has anyone else had problems with picasa, and more importantly had problems they got over?
I am also having trouble trying to get this to work.  I am trying to pull from picasa like mandymaz and I can't get it to work.  I have the image resized and I "copy image location" and crt+v's into the character builder and it just comes up as a blank square.  I pasted the url into my browser and it popped up a page with only the image on it.  Has anyone else had problems with picasa, and more importantly had problems they got over?

There could be other reasons depending on how the URL is handled by wizards.  My first suggestion is to see if you can right click in the image to get the URL to make sure it's right (may not be possible due to Silverlight).
I did right click the image to get the url and it does work.  I uploaded the very same picture into a facebook album and CB accepted it no problem.  So I think it does have to do with using Picasa, I just wish I knew what it was.

-Nymerias
Just on someone else's computer and too lazy to change accounts
I am having the same problem: pasting the URL into the form results in a blank box. I've tried using Google+, Facebook, and Flickr so far with exactly the same result (or lack thereof) in each one.

Any suggestions?
Try a different test picture and see if it works.
I think think this function works.  I've never gotten it to work in the year or so the Character Generator has had it.  I just keep getting a blank box.

I don't understand why I can't just take an image off my computer. 

This took me a while to figure out. Since WOTC is freakish about copy rights. They reserve the right to keep anything and everything that gets used in their programs. Thus they hard coded the character builder to to only use URLs that have wizards.com in them. Now here is how i found out. I copied the URL from the Wizards front page directly into the character builder and TADAAAA it worked. So by that rational i decided to uplaod a picture here and test it. BOOM again becaus the link from this picture now has wizards.com in the URL it works. So post you pic in the forum and use the link from it to post in the character builder. I am going to wite WOTC to tell them they need to fix this bug or give a site location for novices to put pictures for the use of the potrait box in the character builder.
So i sent wizards a little email.

Not sure if you guys realized there is a problem with the character builder. When you try to add a picture URL for the portrait of your character it does not work. However I did find out what the problem was and how it can be remedied. WOTC seems to be overly protective of it's copyrights so much so that the URL box you provided for people to put custom photos only accepts URL's with wizards.com in them. However your paying D&D insiders do not know this. So the only place folks can post pictures to use in the portrait is on the wizards site. The only place I found where you can actually load pictures to use the URL box for the Character builder is on the wizards forum. Not sure if this was intentional or an over site. But either way the Character builder is misleading people to believe they can put custom photos simply by posting a picture URL in the portrait box. Please fix this issue or give better instructions so people will stop complaining about this like they have for 3 years since the character builder was made. See the link below for the forum discussion.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...!

Oh since I found this it would be nice to have free access to D&D insider and the character builder for at least a year. Thanks.

Just a suggestion and how I got it to work for me.

1) I uploaded my image to my facebook account like any other image.

2) View the image, right click it and select "view image". This will bring up a huge long link in the address bar. Copy that URL.

3) Paste that URL into the online builder where it's asking for your image.

4) The URL will start with "https://". Delete the "s" so it reads "http://".

Should work after that. The key is step 4.

I have tried everything described on here and I still can't get it to work!

I went back and  tried the uploading to Wizards and using the pic from there, and it worked!