Dear WotC...

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dear WotC...

Seems that the cat is out of the bag regarding 5E according to this post...

Threads are already popping up on RPGNET and ENWORLD...so you're going to have to address this soon. I'm just curious about what you'll do about it...

Of course you could just cop to it. Afterall, 2014 IS the 40th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons...so it would make perfect sense to release a new edition then...but that would recquire on your part and as we all know, Greg Leeds is a giggling schoolgirl who loves his secrets. So yeah...transparency is probably out. Shame.

Now let's see...you rehired Monte Cook to entice 3rd edition holdouts back into the fold...but then he went and violated his NDA. Remember when Dwayne McDuffie was fired by DC comics after spilling secret information about a storyline in an interview? Of course, I wonder what the fan reaction would be if you fire Cook and release the game in two years anyway.

You could just deny the whole thing. Say....remember Gencon 2006 when you were asked if you were working on 4th edition and you denied it, despite the fact that the game was two years into it's development cycle, and then announced it at Gencon 2007? Remember the internet backdraft? It's okay though...I'm sure you've got more than enough of the fanbases goodwill left to squander.

Of course, since you are working on 5E you COULD give us a straight answer and keep us informed during the development process. Perhaps we could offer some input and maaaayyyybe throw in some ideas that you hadn't thought of. Naw...again you don't like transparency.

So yeah...you're going to have to address this because people will be asking the questions. Here's your first chance to take the right step with 5e or the wrong step. Go ahead...deny that you've started work on it. Go ahead...I dare you.
ZOMG, some random person on the internet claimed to have heard second hand information that they are working on 5e! How ever will they respond to this damning evidence?!?!?!?!?

Note:  There almost definitely WILL be a 5e sooner or later and 2014 doesn't seem like an unlikely target date.  But to act as if that post meant...well...anything is just plain silly. 
Margaret Weiss is a random internet person?

Also, hiring a big name designer...searching for a new brand manager...the Legends & lore "design idea" column.

C'mon. I mean, really. C'mon.

Also, hiring a big name designer...searching for a new brand manager...the Legends & lore "design idea" column.

C'mon. I mean, really. C'mon.

Or maybe, just MAYBE they're looking for more things to do with 4e? But that's probably not possible. I mean they just spent probably 5+ years in developing the system, and 4 or so years putting out products, theres no reason to try to hold on to 4e.

HAND OF KARSUS!

until the sky bonks me on the noggin' i ain't cryin to the heavens or worrying that it might be falling. i'll just be here instead, playing the game and having fun.

toodles!
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Or maybe, just MAYBE they're looking for more things to do with 4e? But that's probably not possible. I mean they just spent probably 5+ years in developing the system, and 4 or so years putting out products, theres no reason to try to hold on to 4e.

Except that they aren't.

If this was, in fact, true, Monte would probably be looking for a new job after barely starting this one.  NDAs being breached and all.
But...it HAS to be true!
I mean, it was on the internet!
People wouldn't spread false information on the internet! That would be dishonest.

Oh, and Kennedy was not shot by Oswald. He was actually secretly beamed to an undisclosed location somewhere in the Mojave using the technology harvested from alien brains at Area 51. He has since undergone extensive plastic surgery, returned to society, and now goes by the name Christopher Walken.

Yeti and Bigfoot are also the same creature. When bigfoot (Bigfeet? Bigfoots?) get old, their hair turns white and they move north for safety purposes. After all, it's very easy to spot a pure white seven-feet tall man-ape amidst a forest setting.
i though they just got a manscaping, put on some flannel, grabbed an axe and took up jobs as temporary lumberjack statues (you know, for when the real statues get tired and need a vacation) for pancake houses?
3rd ed SRD, character sheets, errata & free modules 4th ed test drive - modules, starter rules, premade characters and character builder & character sheet, errata Free maps and portraits, dice, printable graph paper, campaign managing website, image manipulation program + token maker & zone markers

"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR **** LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE'S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'M THE MAN WHO'S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" -Cave Johnson, Portal 2
i though they just got a manscaping, put on some flannel, grabbed an axe and took up jobs as temporary lumberjack statues (you know, for when the real statues get tired and need a vacation) for pancake houses?

Since I just read what you typed on the internet, it must be true.
My former theory has now been changed, and I thank you.
2014 is three years away...

I'd actually be surprised if they didn't have another edition being talked about that far out.  As much as I'd love it, PHB7 just isn't in the business model.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

I am very good friends with a few people...a few years ago a good friend (chris) droped off the face of the planet with very little warning (In my case none, but he had told my roommate he had to go for a while). About 5 weeks after he left and none of us knew where he was, another friend told us he was in the witness relocation program. He had run into him in New york and he told him... 2 1/2 weeks later when chris came back we all asked about it... and he could not stop laughing. His sister got pregnate, just told him "I need you" and so he told the 1 or 2 of us he saw "I have to go away for a while, he had no details till he got to NY and found a very 7 1/2 month pregnant sister. He stayed with her until the baby was born, and then helped her move back here. When he ran into my other friend he was in NY on his way to get diapers... he had off hand made a joke about the witness relocation, that was taken seriese...

when you hear from a friend of a friend that somehting is going on, yes you are just some person.

she did not say Monty told her, she said a friend of monty and her told her.  Sorry a person in the buisness speculating and rumor mongering is no more viable then anyone else.  

Except that they aren't.

prove it.

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

2014 is three years away...

I'd actually be surprised if they didn't have another edition being talked about that far out.  As much as I'd love it, PHB7 just isn't in the business model.

Given that the average life span of a D&D edition is about 9.25 years 2014 is a reasonable projection for an announcement for 5e. Maybe a little on the quick side, I think 2015 or '16 is more likely.

However even if, and this is just for the sake of argument, WotC WAS working on 5e now they wouldn't say anything. That would kill their sales because everyone would say "why buy the books, 5e is coming out eventually anyway." And while it's true 5e will come out eventually giving it a date is just marketing suicide. Even when they announced 4e back at gencon '07 (or was it 6? I don't remember) their production of 3.5 books plummeted and their sales took a similar nose-dive. I know I stopped buying books, knowing 4e was immenant (within a year).

WotC has the right to keep things like this close to their chest. Do you think GW announces that they are working on a new edition of warhammer even a year before it's release? Hell no, they wait til it's like 3 months away. And that is a bad idea, a year is a good amount of time, GWs popularity has been waning as of late due to just that practice.

Even if WotC was working on 5e they would probably just beginning the process of blue-skying. No, I don't think 5e will be out, or even announced, for another four, maybe five years, all depending on how much more they feel they can do with 4e.

Since I just read what you typed on the internet, it must be true.
My former theory has now been changed, and I thank you.

since someone on the internet confirmed what i said by saying what i said was true, then it must be true!

cause, you know, i read it on the 'net.

Given that the average life span of a D&D edition is about 9.25 years 2014 is a reasonable projection for an announcement for 5e. Maybe a little on the quick side, I think 2015 or '16 is more likely.

No, I don't think 5e will be out, or even announced, for another four, maybe five years, all depending on how much more they feel they can do with 4e.

OD&D: Released in 1974. Lasted 3 years.
AD&D 1E: Released in 1977. Lasted 12 years.
BECMI: Released in 1977. Lasted 15 years, counting Wrath of the Immortals.
AD&D 2E: Released in 1989. Lasted 8 years before WotC buyout of TSR.
--------------------------------------------------------
WoTC BUYOUT
AD&D 2E (WotC): 1997 to 2000. Lasted 3 years.
D&D 3E: Released in 2000. Lasted 3 years.
D&D 3.5: Released in 2003. Lasted 5 years.
D&D 4E: Released in 2008.

The average lifespan of a TSR-owned edition of D&D was 9.5 years.
The average lifespan of a WotC-owned edition of D&D is 3.6 years, not counting 4E's current run.

WotC's track record of D&D editions is fairly questionable. If the history of the company stays constant, the next edition would fall somewhere around early 2012. Since this is not likely (we would already know about it this close to the end of the year), then my prediction is 2013, or early 2014.
It may very well be true. Eventually they will start working on 5E and release it.

And if its true, well good then, it means they may put enought time into Research and Developpement, as well as Playtesting. 4E took a fair ammount of time to get togheter afterall (May 2005-2008?)

I know, we play Orcus II today for those that know about it Wink 

No, I don't think 5e will be out, or even announced, for another four, maybe five years, all depending on how much more they feel they can do with 4e.

WoTC BUYOUT

The average lifespan of a WotC-owned edition of D&D is 3.6 years, not counting 4E's current run.

WotC's track record of D&D editions is fairly questionable. If the history of the company stays constant, the next edition would fall somewhere around early 2012. Since this is not likely (we would already know about it this close to the end of the year), then my prediction is 2013, or early 2014.

from my point of view, I see this very diffrently...

AD&D 2E: Released in 1989. Lasted 11 years
D&D 3E: Released in 2000. Lasted 8 years.

so 4 edtions (and if I remember we could go to 13 or 14 if we count everything) it is   34 years divided by 4 is just shy of 10 years (8.5)... witch would set it at 2016 for the new edtion,
 now as my sig says: 2017 would be my choice if I had any say.    

WoTC BUYOUT

I'd say that making overall predictions based on history of d&d as a whole is about as reliable as making predictions about the stock marked based on its whole history.

Still, I'd say Hocus is more correct with the prediction that new editions are shorter in lifespan.

I would not be surprised if 5e came out at end of 2012 even. What more can you really do for 4e unless you go for DP2, PrP2 etc.? Essentials mixed stuff up a bit, but sales figures are probably dropping all the time.

from my point of view, I see this very diffrently...

AD&D 2E: Released in 1989. Lasted 11 years
D&D 3E: Released in 2000. Lasted 8 years.

so 4 edtions (and if I remember we could go to 13 or 14 if we count everything) it is   34 years divided by 4 is just shy of 10 years (8.5)... witch would set it at 2016 for the new edtion,
 now as my sig says: 2017 would be my choice if I had any say.    

You can see it however you wish, but facts are facts.
The TSR-years of D&D were dramatically different than the WotC-years.
No single edition of D&D has lasted longer than 5 years under the control of WotC.
And yes, I count 3E and 3.5 as different editions due to compatibility issues, just as I count 1E and 2E as different editions, despite the many similarities.

You can see it however you wish, but facts are facts.

Yes, but our ways of interpreting the facts are diffrent.

The TSR-years of D&D were dramatically different than the WotC-years.

Yea, from my point of view the years got better.

No single edition of D&D has lasted longer than 5 years under the control of WotC.
And yes, I count 3E and 3.5 as different editions due to compatibility issues, just as I count 1E and 2E as different editions, despite the many similarities.  

I on the other hand count 3e and 3.5 as one edtion that ran ok togather.

I do know people who called 'COmbat and tactics', and later 'Skills and Powers'  3rd edtion... they call it that in the 90's.  

The guy that got me into D&D back in 2e told me stories of his Uncle who taught him to play, but would never touch 2e, becuse it was no longer D&D in his mind... the funny part is in a attempt to play again (after like 20 something years)  His uncle joined a 4e game, and now loves it. The same person who saw the jump from 1e to 2e as to radicale saw no problem with 4e at all.

I also know people who claim that pathfinder and trailblazer are perfectly compadable with 3.5... even when I ask if I can Multi class a Warblade and a Warlock, and no one has yet to find me rules on it...

what is and is not the same is all in our minds, what you see is your truth, what I see is mine, somewhere inbetween we may agree, or we just have to let it go.      

Weiss is just another person on the internet. There's as much room for her to be mistaken, misinterpreting, communicating badly, or intentionally yanking chains as there is for anyone; her admittedly impressive credentials don't grant immunity from any of these things.

Even if Weiss did have such information from reliable sources, it would be uncharacteristically irresponsible of her to spread it in this way (not to mention, uncharacteristically poor writing to do so in those particular words). I'd believe that she was joking or her account was hacked or something long before I'd take that post entirely at face value.

Jeff Heikkinen

I have permanently left these forums.

Bad moderation decisions were the last straw, but there were other factors too.

But if you see this and are into tabletop RPGs and/or Final Fantasy and similar JRPGs, why not check out my site at philosoraptorgames.com?

Or he is working on 5E.

;)

HAND OF KARSUS!

My bet would be that they're not working on 5e, but more than likely working on a modified ruleset for 4.5.

I mean, they have a lot of physical, tangible things that they would suddenly need to drop if they throw out 5e, like their servers and programmers and virtual table and all that jazz if they go to 5e.

My guess, looking at design articles, is that there are going to be a modifiedoptional rule set for skills, which I may or may not be interested in.  TBH, if 4e had a tweaked 3.5 skill system (with pre-defined numbers of Knowledge skills), I think I'd be pretty happy.

But I don't care who Weiss is.  One post doesn't really mean much.  As said before, it could have been a hack.  However, they do have a responsibility to let us know if that was the case. 
Salla, on minions: I typically use them as encounter filler. 'I didn't quite fill out the XP budget, not enough room left for a decent near-level monster ... sprinkle in a few minions'. Kind of like monster styrofoam packing peanuts.
eh doesnt really matter when it comes out im not buying 5e. ill buy the tilesets though
If what's in L&L articles right now is the state of 5e design, I won't be happy with it. 

Frankly, I'm hoping that this is a mistake or hoax on Margaret's part - partly because if 5e is really being worked on right now, I don't want to know about it, and partly if the chain of information is correct someone (Monte) should be reprimanded for violating his NDA.

But likely, that's not what's happening. I don't doubt they're thinking about 5th edition right now, but I don't think Monte was brought on board to work on it at this point. To me, this scenario is more likely:

1. Mearls starts spitballing design in Legends and Lore
2. People assume that L&L is the basis for 5th edition (I think its just WotC trying to fill in content for their statement of more directed content and transparency)
3. Monte is brought in on some sort of project he can't pass up that isn't 5e, and takes over L&L since Mearls doesn't have the time for it.
4. Monte signs an NDA on his  new project, and won't tell his friends what he's working on.
5. Mutual friends of Monte and Margaret hear 'dream project', 'can't talk about it', and 'Legends and Lore' and they think 1 + 1 + 1 = 5e!
6. Margaret reports on said speculation as fact. 

Considering her current position in the industry, and her recent history with WotC over the publication of her last Dragonlance book, I don't see how we can trust her insight any more than any other 3rd party publisher who gets information from an 'industry insider who's a friend of a friend'. 
The TSR years were different, beause TSR had a habit of only producing a new edition long after they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

1e went from 1977 to 1986 (9 years).  Then their quality and income suffered while they worked on 2e.  And the first year of AD&D had almost no releases because it was a brand new game.

2e was released in 1989, but was effectively dead by 1997 (8 years).  According to those there at the time, they were hemorrhaging cash, their sales had dropped precipitously and while Zeb Cook begged Lorraine Williams to greelight a new edition, she refused.  They couldn't get publishers to take their established work, much less gamble on a new edition.

3e was released in 2000, had a revision 3 years later and ended effectively in 2007 (7 years).  The 3.5 revision also basically bought them a year in which they could update 3.0 material.

4e was released in 2008.  I speculate a 5th edition in 2015-2016, which means an announcement in 2014-15. 

Just counting the beginning dates and end dats of an edition is a superficial analysis at best.  It ignores what was happening in the company at the time.  TSR was a horribly inept company, which wasted years in development limbo.  Wizards, at least, knows to plan for the fututre while the present game is still viable. 

Wizards started work on 3e almost as soon as they bought D&D in 1997.  Three years to develop.  Monte Cook said he started working on 3.5 shortly after 3.0 was released.  That's a 2.5 year development time.  Same for 4e.  So even if Monte Cook is working on 5e, it won't be released until 2015.  So none of this should really be surprising to anybody.

I on the other hand count 3e and 3.5 as one edtion that ran ok togather.

The point is not whether or not you could force them to run together and make it work. I could, technically, force BECMI to mirror 4E, but that doesn't make it "run OK together". 3E and 3.5 were named edition changes, one set overriding the rules of the other. Plain and simple.

I do know people who called 'COmbat and tactics', and later 'Skills and Powers'  3rd edtion... they call it that in the 90's.  

Those people would be incorrect.
When the PHB, DMG, and MM got "revised", and dropped the "2nd Edition" from their title, they quite plainly printed in the front of the books "This is not 3rd Edition!". The Player's Options and DM's Option rules followed this revision. Not 3rd edition. At all.

The guy that got me into D&D back in 2e told me stories of his Uncle who taught him to play, but would never touch 2e, becuse it was no longer D&D in his mind... the funny part is in a attempt to play again (after like 20 something years)  His uncle joined a 4e game, and now loves it. The same person who saw the jump from 1e to 2e as to radicale saw no problem with 4e at all.

The rumor that circulated when 2E first came out is that TSR decided to clean up 1E a little bit, and re-release it as 2nd edition...and NOT mention Gary Gygax in the credits, thus depriving him of any royalties. Whether this was intentional or not is still debated. However...claiming to not like 2E, but continuing to like 1E is strange, to say the least. The only real changes were the THAC0 table (which existed in 1E, but was not as streamlined), optional rules like NWPs, and, of course, all the campaign settings.

I, personally, only played 3E for a week, and never played 3.5 at all. I basically skipped from BECMI to 1E to 2E to 4E, so I can sort of see your friend's uncle's position.
... Zeb Cook begged Lorraine Williams...

Hey...you're not supposed to mention her name.
Bottom line here is it can't be proven nor can it be disproven. But since it possibly came from Margaret Weiss I wouldn't dismiss it so easily.
In the end...what difference does it make?
If they release 5E in 3 weeks, 3 months, or 3 years, does it really matter?
Are you happy with 4E? Would you continue to play it, or would you jump ship immediately for whatever is shiny and new? I still happily DM 1E and 2E, and they've been dead for many years now. When 5E is released (whenever that is), I will weigh it against what I am looking for in a D&D product, and decide, based on that, whether or not I want to run with it or leave it for someone else. Right now there is enough material for 4E to be able to play it for many years very happily. Yes, more options are always nice, but seriously...if the quality of the products drops off just to satiate those who want "more, more, more", then I'd rather them just go ahead and release a new edition.
eh doesnt really matter when it comes out im not buying 5e. ill buy the tilesets though

Want to fight on the other side of the edition war?`;)

In the end...what difference does it make?
If they release 5E in 3 weeks, 3 months, or 3 years, does it really matter?
Are you happy with 4E? Would you continue to play it, or would you jump ship immediately for whatever is shiny and new? I still happily DM 1E and 2E, and they've been dead for many years now. When 5E is released (whenever that is), I will weigh it against what I am looking for in a D&D product, and decide, based on that, whether or not I want to run with it or leave it for someone else. Right now there is enough material for 4E to be able to play it for many years very happily. Yes, more options are always nice, but seriously...if the quality of the products drops off just to satiate those who want "more, more, more", then I'd rather them just go ahead and release a new edition.

I think the point is that WotC won't want to announce 5e just yet as any material fo 4e that is already in production would suffer sales.  That's the bottom line and why this makes a difference, at least in my opinion.

/me shrugs @'s
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

lol its simple economics. ive spent hundreds on 4e so im just going to make do with 1st edition and 
4th edition forever (or wife will likely strangle me)

lol its simple economics. ive spent hundreds on 4e so im just going to make do with 1st edition and 
4th edition forever (or wife will likely strangle me)

yeah, for me it's less of the "Edition Wars", and more of the "Financial Wars."  I spent tons on 2e back in the day, and then when 3e came out, I bought the core books, and it took a couple years before I started gettng ramped up with the 3e books, then the 3.5 switch, but I had dropped a huge investment into 3e before the end.  When 4e came out, I bought the core books, but I didn't start getting into it (and buying other product) till late last year.

So, if 5e comes out, I might buy the core books, assuming I can afford it, but I'll stick with 4e*

* I am a gaming collector, so I can make no guarantees that if I were to cross paths, sometime in the future, with 5e stuff while having a little cash in my pocket, that I might not be coerced to bringing home a new edition.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
as long as they keep the tools up ill be happy. others can play 5th if they want, just leave me the compendium and cb and vt
If that account is Margaret Weiss, I'm a little surprised. To blow someone else's NDA, if you are still heavily involved in a particular industry, usually results in career death.

But one thing is certain. There will be a 5E at some point. But I bet it won't be called 5E. It will be called something different, so as to try and separate it from all this edition wars. I bet a large part of it will strictly online delivery. Chances are, part of DDi's switch in delivery and format, was to reflect being about to adapt those applications to the new edition, without having to rebuild from scratch.

The only way this brand can continue is to reinvent it's self. Once sales start leveling out, chances are, they start working on the next edition.

To me, articles about theoretical designs and bringing in someone like Monte Cook are more of a red flag then a post on a forum. 

Strategically, releasing 5th edition is the last big marketing move that remains. Essentials has already taken up the "4.5" or "4E" slot and people just aren't going to shell out for anything less than a total overhaul.

I think the mistake was that people viewed the edition wars as being over, when in fact the holdouts dug in and were prepared to wait, happily playing pathfinder or simply not playing D&D at all. Without their support and with the failure of essentials to win them back, change is likely to come sooner rather than later.

As it stands, the customer base was split once and then with essentials split again, to the point where the only option left is to try to make a product that combines everyone once again. Without that, anything released, like a campaign setting or rules extra is going to have a highly diminished market in a world already hit by recession anyway. It's no surprise that the release schedule dried up as D&D is barely hanging on in there.

People should be celebrating the fact that a new edition is likely in the works, rather than fearing it and i would hope that some announcement would openly be made about it. There has been too much concealment and obfuscation already (like essentials not being 4.5) and that left everyone confused and lacking in any form of direction as a playerbase. It's time to openly talk to the player community and to give it some active direction rather than hiding behind a wall of silence and hoping that confusion prevents dissent.
A one-line, unsubstantiated post on a random internet forum board, and someone actually believed it means anything?

I need to buy stock in a tin-foil company, I sense a lot of hats being made in the near future.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Hey folks,

I'm moving this to RPGS General since it's not really on topic for this forum.

Dragonette.
Sign In to post comments