D&D over 40

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to get back into D&D after a lot of years, and wanted to find out if there are others out there over 40 who play the game.  i find that at this age i have a different outlook about playing and have been reading the 4e books to get reacclamated.  do you find it difficult to find groups to join at this age?  Just thought i would askSmile
Not at all.  A fact of the industry that many designers are working to change is that many of the people playing the game now are the same people that started playing twenty or thirty years ago. 

But just like any social event it is more about whom you choose to spend your time with.  There are online resources to find gamers out there but I find meeting people at a friendly local gaming store or attending a local convention are the best options.
I'm over 40 and haven't had much trouble finding players.  Of course, it helps to have a wife who plays and my children totally love the game.
43 here. I still play games with people I knew at university.

Are you still in contact with people you played with in the past? Even if it's just for a social chat and a game of cards / mah-jong or whatever, it might be fun to get people round a table again, and you may end up with 1 or 2 of them interesting in getting into RPGs again.
Welcome to the Boards  deh052911, and welcome back to D&D !

Though i am not 40+ but slightly younger, i'll just say agenever matter in our Tabletop games and on the D&D Virtual Table BETA too.  I have played with dozens and dozens of older people and never saw anyone who actually cared or disliked it.

One of the great thing about the game is that D&D transcend ages, gender, or origins. Wether you're young old, black chinese or white boy or girl, muslim or catholic, D&D bring people togheter under the its banner for a commun passion of the game. 

If you ever want to join the BETA Community and  play Online on the D&D Virtual Table, let me know or check in my signature for more info ! Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I am 41, and just about half my players are over 40. The rest are under 30. I am also gaming with some of my players' kids, and they are in their teens. Generally, if you can find someone to game with via your FLGS or an online locator, age shouldn't be an issue. Unless, you know, you have to make room at the table for someone's oxygen tank or something. Tongue out
All of our group are over 40 (two of us are 50), we have been gaming together since 1984, while we don't exclusively play D&D we are currently playing it, and are in our third 4th edition campaign.
I'm over 40 and haven't had much trouble finding players.  Of course, it helps to have a wife who plays and my children totally love the game.

This.... feels like cheating doesnt it when you grow your own players.... hehehe.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

IUnless, you know, you have to make room at the table for someone's oxygen tank or something. Tongue out

We find wearing Depends (adult diapers) helps.
I am 41 and I DM 2 campaigns as well as Encounters, so players are not at a shortage for me.  Of course, we all would love to play as much as we did when we were 20, but until I am independantly wealthy, that won't be happening.
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
42 here. I have often found it difficult to find a game to play in, but no more difficult now than at any other point in the past 20 years. (Although it is far easier now than it was when I started playing in the late-70s.)

I have never found it difficult to find players when I am the DM.

My style of play has definitely changed over the years. And I find that the way I DM has evolved considerably as well.

• I am very comfortable ending an encounter "by victory" rather than playing it out to the death of all.

• I am no longer attracted to the idea of evil-PCs.

• I deplore PvP.

• I do not like individual xp-awards.

• I level the party, not the PC.

• I say "yes, but" instead of "no" far more often than I used to.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I'm 52.  I started D&D with 1st edition.  Was playing 2nd edition before I moved to another state.  Then I couldn't find anyplace or any players for several years, so I missed most of the 3e & 3.5e stuff.  A new game store opened just before 4e came out and now I play with a group every week.  I also dm the Wed night encounters.  And I am just starting up a new group with fresh new to the game players (except my son).

I found it is an easy transition from one edition to the other as long as you keep an open mind that each edition has its own values.  Not one edition rules over the others.  Just remember to have fun.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

I'm trying to get back into D&D after a lot of years, and wanted to find out if there are others out there over 40 who play the game.  i find that at this age i have a different outlook about playing and have been reading the 4e books to get reacclamated.  do you find it difficult to find groups to join at this age? 

No more [and perhaps less] than a genertion ago.  In fact the more common worry is rather the reverse.  We have a large number of quite loyal players who have been playing from around 1980, but these players are getting to the age where they stop playing [or breathing] and so there is concern that the number of D&D players is facing a serious drop in the future.  Of course, we are doing constant recruiting, but there are worries that D&D will prove to be a fad that lasts about 3 generations.

Oh yes.  Those posting on this threat are all a bunch of kids.  I'm 67 myself.
I am 41 and I DM 2 campaigns as well as Encounters, so players are not at a shortage for me.  Of course, we all would love to play as much as we did when we were 20, but until I am independantly wealthy, that won't be happening.

I agree.  When I was in my early 20's, we used to game several times a week, sometimes for 10-15+ hours a day, not counting those epic weekend-length mega sessions.

Now I find it difficult to stay up past midnight sometimes to play.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler

so there is concern that the number of D&D players is facing a serious drop in the future.  Of course, we are doing constant recruiting, but there are worries that D&D will prove to be a fad that lasts about 3 generations.

I'm young then at 43, but I've been playing since 1980.  I used to feel the same, about a decade ago.  I thought games like Baldur's Gate and later WoW would be the death knell for table top rpgs.   But I've played with a lot of young gamers over the past three years.  Many were first exposed to fantasy rpg through computer games.  There is a genuine interest to play table top Rpg by teenagers entering the hobbie through computer games. 

The current group I play with ranges from 20 to 46, with the majority of the players under 30.  All except one of them under 30 are avid computer and console gamers.  The three things that draw them to table top rpg experience; socializing, story telling, and a the freedom of imagination.  A good Dm and imagination still trumps computer programing when it comes to story telling.  But socializing is the number one reason for the interest in table top games by young adult players I have met lately.   Its an old human experience, sitting arround a table or fire and creating and telling stories is an ancient past time that isn't going away anytime soon.

I sometimes go to a local RPG group and the majority of players are in their 30s and 40s or older.
41 here, and most of my gaming group falls inbetween the 25-45 range.  For about a year we mostly in the 35-45 range, then we started getting some (forgive the bad pun) new blood. We have a few teens and early 20-year-olds who play and are split evenly with the rest around 25 and 35+.
I am merely 34, and all but one other person I game with is younger than me. The rest are just above and below forty.

I imagine it would be hard to find another group like this one, but they are obviously out there, but I find older gamers ridiculously more reliable than almost anyone I gamed with in my early years.
I'm trying to get back into D&D after a lot of years, and wanted to find out if there are others out there over 40 who play the game.

Yep, lots of us. 

i find that at this age i have a different outlook about playing and have been reading the 4e books to get reacclamated.

I've found the need to be more casual about my hobbies as RL became more and more, well, real.  The game has kept up, in that sense, casual play is much easier, the current version requires less commitment and mastery than prior eds.
 do you find it difficult to find groups to join at this age?  Just thought i would ask

Nope.  Groups often seem to form around more experienced DMs, and there's a lot of organized play, now, including LFR, the casual play of weekly D&D Encounters, and the new Lair Assault.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Hi guys,

I have been a lurker here for years, but I felt I should chime in on this one. Our D&D group consists of 9 players, and only one is under 40 (38 to be exact). The FLGS that we frequent has a couple of groups that play there once a week, and one group has mostly 40+ year-old gamers. The Warmachine players I play with are also almost all over 40.

Get out there...it is always a good time to play ;)

CL
I'm 52, and returned after a decade hiatus.

We have a group of 5 players, and myself as DM.  We only play every other sunday.

I'm retired, and would love to play more.  I have read in this thread that some refer to sites where you can search for/find local players?  Where are these?  Can someone post such?  None of the FLGS run encounters, and I've got dice!

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

The BEST gaming mats ever: www.zuzzy.com http://www.amazon.com/Stormwalkers-ebook/dp/B004ULVL08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318513150&sr=8-1
You guys are making me feel young again with my 25 years. Thanks.

Also the oldest player in my groups right now it about 35, but I doubt it'll get much harder to find a group as you age... D&D appears to be a hobby for everyone. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
45 here.  Started back in 1980.  deh052911, you are in good company.
Tossing my proverbial over-40 hat into the ring here.  Our weekly group ranges from 30-47.
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

41 here!

Been playing since late 70's.
I DM 3 groups, including my own kids, mostly early teens.  I see a few 20's in my area, but where I live, I'm aparently Grand Poobah out here!

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

44 here, returned a few years ago after a 27-year break.  Oddly, it's easier for me to find groups than my 13-year-old son, because I can use sites like Meetup and he cannot (no way am I letting my kids play with strangers from the internet).

My problem returning at this age is that I am a professional and playing has to be a dirty little secret.
I'm 37, but all of the players in my home game are older than me. We have a couple in their early 40s.

EDIT - I have two players who are in their early forties. They are not a couple, which is a fact that probably makes their wives more comfortable about our biweekly game. Wink
My last group consisted of mostly 40+ with a few late 30's players. It is difficult in my area to find good players/DMs, so once you are in a good group, if you are wise, you try to keep it together!
--- -S. My campaign wiki: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/noble-house

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

We have gamers in our group between the ages of 9 and 53.
I'm 38, and just returned to playing for the first time since high school. I remember sticking to 1st edition and rejecting 2nd edition AD&D when it first came out, not because of anything my group didn't like about the rules, but just because we were kids saving up for cars and college, so we couldn't afford the price of new rulebooks.

Between meetup.com, and active groups at all the local comics and gaming shops around here, I've had no problem finding people to play with, ranging from teenagers to a guy over 60 who also just returned to the game for the first time since the 80's.

Carpe DM - Seize the Dungeon Master!
Ahem...
OLD GUYS!!!!!

I've been playing since I was 18/19 and now I'm 21. Most of the problems with me finding a group is that there's only so many people here in the middle of nowhere.
Ahem...
OLD GUYS!!!!!

I've been playing since I was 18/19 and now I'm 21. Most of the problems with me finding a group is that there's only so many people here in the middle of nowhere.

Well you might be old enough to grow some but you might will need someone of appropriate gender to aid the process. it's also not an immediate trick requiring some a lot of patience 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Ahem...
OLD GUYS!!!!!

Well you might be old enough to grow some but you might will need someone of appropriate gender to aid the process. it's also not an immediate trick requiring some a lot of patience 

This sounds a lot like my plan to take over the world, except on a much smaller scale.
Stick with it. Put in an ad. Make a sign.

I'm about a week from 43. I think everyone I game with currently (6 total) are all over 40 now. College buddies. We're working on getting the next generation into playing full time. Been playing D&D since 6th grade... 1981.

You may know ALL the rules, but I KNOW the Spirit of the Game.

wow, hat off to all the older gentleman who're still going strong with the game O.o

i can't really help too much, except i wanted to comment and assure you all that young people still get into DND, i'm the oldest in my group at 17 with a January 10th birthday, everyone else in the group follows me by months, except for this one kid who's 13, we're all having a lot of fun playing, i hope that i'm still playing 40 years from now too :D

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

My style of play has definitely changed over the years. And I find that the way I DM has evolved considerably as well.

• I am very comfortable ending an encounter "by victory" rather than playing it out to the death of all.

• I am no longer attracted to the idea of evil-PCs.

• I deplore PvP.

• I do not like individual xp-awards.

• I level the party, not the PC.

• I say "yes, but" instead of "no" far more often than I used to.

39 here and I just wanted to state that since I started playing at age 9, my own DMing has almost always been exactly like this, since day one.  Maybe that's one of the reasons I like 4e so much - it's kind of an affirmation of the way I've always DMed.  It's downright weird when I play in other games and arguing over rules drags on for half an hour and the party is out to screw each other over.  I just look at the DM as if to say "Are you really going to let this happen?" or I find myself saying "Hey, guys, it's the DM's ruling, let's move on," or "Why are you trying to screw me over?  You know this won't end well so let's just not do this, for the good of the game."

The main group I DM for now has one player who is 26, four who are 38 and one who is 51.  And the 51 year old just learned how to play last year.  Only two of those players have kids to deal with and tighter schedules.  So at least for me, finding players hasn't been a problem.  What IS a problem for me is finding players who want to play 4e.  Sure, they'll play anything else but as soon as I hear the old "there's no roleplaying in 4e," or "it's too much like WoW," I usually just give up trying and move on. 

My advice to those who want to find a group is to of course try the usual avenues of looking around for players on the net, posting something at your FLGS but also to just TALK about the game.  Don't be shy.  If people have no interest, you'll see it quickly.  But if people DO have interest in talking about it, not only have you started a good conversation but you can invite them to play some time.  Just talk it up - you might be surprised how many people are interested.     

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I'm trying to get back into D&D after a lot of years, and wanted to find out if there are others out there over 40 who play the game.  i find that at this age i have a different outlook about playing and have been reading the 4e books to get reacclamated.  do you find it difficult to find groups to join at this age?  Just thought i would askSmile

I'm 43 and still going strong with gaming. I played my first D&D game in junior high and for the most part have been playing the game continuously since (I've taken some short breaks here and there). The youngest player in my weekly long-running D&D campaign is 22 and the oldest is 53, and when I play I don't feel any different from any of them regardless of age.

===================================================== "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it." -Mr. Magorium =====================================================

We have a group of 5 players, and myself as DM.  We only play every other sunday.

I'm retired, and would love to play more.  I have read in this thread that some refer to sites where you can search for/find local players?  Where are these?  Can someone post such?  None of the FLGS run encounters, and I've got dice!

Here you go!

penandpapergames.com/

www.obsidianportal.com/

43 here and got back into D&D when 4E came out. I take it that "FLGS" is "Florida Game Stores?"

43 here and got back into D&D when 4E came out. I take it that "FLGS" is "Florida Game Stores?"

FLGS = Friendly Local Game Store. It has nothing to do with Florida. But if you're in Florida, let me know. I'm in Palm Beach County, though I play at an FLGS in Broward.

Carpe DM - Seize the Dungeon Master!