Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for October, 2011

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of October, 2011.
nice art
mentor of the meek was a pretty easy one to guess 
How the **** do you play aModern Belcher deck? Do you just rely on Simian Spirit Guide and Lotus Bloom for all of your future mana needs and hope you have enough to sustain you for the rest of the game?
How the **** do you play aModern Belcher deck? Do you just rely on Simian Spirit Guide and Lotus Bloom for all of your future mana needs and hope you have enough to sustain you for the rest of the game?

You use those so you can play belcher and pay for its ability cost, then you win.

I really prefere the first sketch. The final art could basicaly have been seen in a great number of settings, but the first one was really unique to Innistrad.
Strongly preferred the first one as well. It actually had a butler feel. This art just confused me (why is it in a manor?). I also think a butler would dress differently from a standard Innistrad denizen and it's a shame that this didn't work out in the art (a skeleton with a wig, perhaps?).
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Looks like someone was copy/pasting from the previous edition of Sketches--this card doesn't have eyes... ;)

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I would also say the first sketch looks much better. That one has a sort of creepy feel, he is comming of the stairs towards you, but does not seem to take notice of you at all.... not yet. The one they've used is just a skeleton. A good skeleton nonetheless, but it doesnt have a lot of flavor to it. And its not creepy at all. The first one says "its comming, run quickly!", the second one just says "hit it on the head." Hope they'll be using the other one someday.
Snapcaster Mage seems like quite the anti-synergistic card in a werewolf deck. He'll force two spells to be cast in the same turn.
Oh man!  The first Manor Skeleton sketch was so awesome!  The Manor Skeleton was one of my least favorite card-arts in the set because I really didn't understand what made it a "Manor" skeleton and I thought creative was just throwing a Gothic-sounding name on a random skeleton card.  But that first sketch is so evocative and it's so creepy.  Now I'm going to be disappointed every time I see the Manor Skeleton and imagine what could have been...
I have no complaints about the art they did use for Manor Skeleton, it's quite spectacular, but I agree that it could have gone in any set whereas the initial version would have been very spot-on for this setting.  The set could use a little more subtlety to suggest the creeping menace of it rather than starting out as a full-on fright-fest; we have the expansion for that!  Perhaps someday they could turn it into an FNM promo or something using the first sketch?  Sadly they seem to do very little of this.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
It seems that everyone agrees the first version of the art was better.
I really can't understand why the first version wasn't used. It's just spetacular.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I have no complaints about the art they did use for Manor Skeleton, it's quite spectacular, but I agree that it could have gone in any set whereas the initial version would have been very spot-on for this setting.  The set could use a little more subtlety to suggest the creeping menace of it rather than starting out as a full-on fright-fest; we have the expansion for that!  Perhaps someday they could turn it into an FNM promo or something using the first sketch?  Sadly they seem to do very little of this.

Exactly what I was thinking. The truly scary things aren't those which are in your face (like the second art, the art they used, is) but those which are creeping inevitably slowly, currently shrouded in mystery but soon to be revealed at the worst possible moment (more the style of the first art). A skeleton standing in-your-face laughing or shouting boo (or maybe his jaw is just unhinged, which is even less creepy) is a cheap one-off make-the-audience-jump-in-their-seats scare. It's a fear that won't linger.
And your second point was also exactly what I'd hoped they'd do. Seeing as everyone posting here likes the first art more, they really should do a reprint (From the Vaults: Skeletons? Duel Decks: Skeletons vs. Spirits? FNM promo?) with the first art someday.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
About the Melira deck: did it have to play against zoo? How did it win?
"This is a slightly updated version of a Melira, Sylvok Outcast–based combo deck that Magic R&D director Aaron Forsythe piloted to win an unscanctioned Modern tournament at Pro Tour Philadelphia."
[21:07] [Ragnarokio] there might be more than 30 zebras after all Rag: regular mafia should be practice for white flag
"This is a slightly updated version of a Melira, Sylvok Outcast–based combo deck that Magic R&D director Aaron Forsythe piloted to win an unscanctioned Modern tournament at Pro Tour Philadelphia."

"This is a slightly updated version ofMelira, Sylvok Outcastbased combo deck that Magic R&D director Aaron Forsythe piloted to win an unscanctioned Modern tournament at Pro Tour Philadelphia."

There, iambic pentameter clearly shows that both of you are wrong, it is not important that he won, and it is also not important that it was unsanctioned.

Now, all I need is someone to come and explain how I messed up the iambic pentameter, and my troll will be complete.
More like unscansioned, am I right?

Heh, I even didn't notice the error in the bolded one, sorry for that =p

If you look closely at the final art for Manor Skeleton, you can still see pretty clearly that he's coming down an ornate staircase. So it's not as bad as you guys are making it sound.
blah blah metal lyrics
If you look closely at the final art for Manor Skeleton, you can still see pretty clearly that he's coming down an ornate staircase. So it's not as bad as you guys are making it sound.

But if you so much as glance at the art of the first one, you immediately see the staircase. Plus, like I said earlier, in-your-face isn't horror; it's a cheap scare, so the second (final) art doesn't really fit the horror genre as well as the first.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I like this Grimgrin deck, but I think it should make room for Laboratory Maniac and Mirror-Mad Phantasm. It's nice that it already includes Grimgrin/Bloodline Keeper for the infinite combo w/ Necrotic Ooze, but given the self-mill theme I think an immediate complete self-mill using Necrotic Ooze and Phantasm would fit in nicely. Maniac may just be mean for commander though.
Isn't Bitterblossom banned from Commander?
Isn't Bitterblossom banned from Commander?

EDIT: nope. It is a troublesome card in 1v1, so some of those banned lists have banned cards around it.
I'm curious as to how the Ludevic's Test Subject/Abomination double transform works. You'd have to have (at least) five on the stack waiting to resolve once the first transform happened, and then it wouldn't be Ludevic's Test Subject any more, so it wouldn't be the "it" that gets transformed. Or does that not matter?
Kinda cute to count only the visible zombie faces to reach the Magic number. If you take all limbs into account, there are at least 20.
Yup, nice *wink wink* by the artist.
I'm curious as to how the Ludevic's Test Subject/Abomination double transform works. You'd have to have (at least) five on the stack waiting to resolve once the first transform happened, and then it wouldn't be Ludevic's Test Subject any more, so it wouldn't be the "it" that gets transformed. Or does that not matter?

Doesn't matter, for the same reason that flipping one doesn't flip all of them. When a card refers to itself, it's still going to be referring to itself even if its name has somehow been changed to "Jojo The Wonder Hamster". Otherwise Sakashima the Impostor would be less useful.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
i like the Deathbed deck...well once you take out the black and crap rares and add in more deranged apprentice, kessig cagebreakers, and Splinterfright(which should be more than a one-of anyways) way to promote new cards...more new phyrexia rares tha anything
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
So you'll make a crappy illusions deck. But no werwolf themed deck. Why make something new and then not offer a deck to show it off. Shame on you wizards. sigh: If I see the UG deck I might buy it but the white deck will probably be more expensive with the crusaders and all. 
I wonder how much the Event Decks are going to be in Canada... Birds typically goes for 20 bucks by itself, so 5 bucks for a whole rest of the deck seems a good deal.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)

But if you so much as glance at the art of the first one, you immediately see the staircase. Plus, like I said earlier, in-your-face isn't horror; it's a cheap scare, so the second (final) art doesn't really fit the horror genre as well as the first.

I agree with you... the first art for Manor Skeleton clearly 'read' as a Skeleton servant in a manor, the second art you barely see any manor, and the skeleton looks more like a pirate than a manservant.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
The Illusions deck was hardly crappy. There were a number of lists which looked very much like that that appeared later on. It was about as nice an approximation as Through the Breach was of Kuldotha Red and the banned deck of Cawblade.

I'm not sure which ones I'll buy yet. Playset of Fiend Hunters looks very tempting, but the rest is just mehish. The second deck looks like it's going to be lots of fun, so I think I'll buy it for sure despite the fact that its rares aren't very interesting (even more Bonehoards? Seriously?).
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Apart from the one copy of rare dual land, the Deathfed deck only has seven different cards from Innistrad in the main, and Mulch (as well as Naturalize in the sideboard) are reprints. How can you call that thing an Innistrad Event Deck?!
I wonder how much the Event Decks are going to be in Canada... Birds typically goes for 20 bucks by itself, so 5 bucks for a whole rest of the deck seems a good deal.

You serious, it's between 2 and 5 euros over here.
I like both event decks. too bad Deathfed only put Splinterfright as a one-of. I think it will be more interesting then the White one, but need more Splinterfright as a backup. It will be bad if it get milled out by Mulch. The decks is quite solid, and can use a little improvement. Nice!

You serious, it's between 2 and 5 euros over here.

I have no idea where s/he is in Canada, or if s/he is being gouged by his/her LGS, but BoPs for me in Montreal are about $5... I can get the event decks for roughly $20.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

I personally believe that white weenies will be a very viable archetype very soon, once people find the right mish mash of cards. It was my intention to start playing around with the deck, so getting playsets of fiend hunter and a couple mirran crusaders will be very nice. As for the graveyard deck, I hate to play the dies to removal card, however when you have to do so much work to get boneyard worm and splinterfright to do/be anything at all, it seems too easy to just doom blade or go for the throat them and it's gg. I expect dungrove elder decks to be a better option, or it could just be that I'm a sucker for mono decks.

Apart from the one copy of rare dual land, the Deathfed deck only has seven different cards from Innistrad in the main, and Mulch (as well as Naturalize in the sideboard) are reprints. How can you call that thing an Innistrad Event Deck?!

Could be worse. The M12 Vampire deck only had TWO different cards from M12, and only about four different cards that are still standard legal. Neither of the decks looks super amazing, but I'm going to put my money on the monowhite one being better. The UBG deck looks like it will spend a lot of time taking a long time to do nothing. Being slow only works if you have something impressive to do once you get done being slow.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I am quite sad to see no Werewolf deck. I thought for sure when there was no werewolf intro pack that there would be an event deck for them. With so many people excited about this tribe, and so much fun synergy, it seemed like an obvious choice.
Is it just me, or is the UG event deck almost completely unplayable? Like, how are you even supposed to win?

The only real threats are the 2 copies of bonehoard and the 6 llurghoyfs (counting GSZ) which are laughably, easily answered or outraced by every deck. Are we supposed to start beating down on turn 6 with (how many, like 4?) spider tokens?

And don't get started on how this deck can't even reliably answer creature threats...