Homebrew advice for Gamma World, how much is too much?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am in the process of taking Wizards 4e Gamma World a bit more automated. I miss the 'Acid Rain' events from the past Gamma World editions. I also think that the lack of mutations can be improved. You only geta few powers - pretty much 2 at-wills, 2 utilities, and 2 encounter powers. As opposed to DnD. So I am in the process of adding more.

The medium I wish to use is cards to keep with the theme that Wizards has set. Card pile for Omega Tech and Alpha Mutations. Other Gamma Worlders have added Origin Card Powers and Half Sheets. I want to add some Gear/Junk/Weapon cards.

I guess my question is how many cards is too many cards?

A player has
Character sheet
2 origin cards (or half sheets)
6 power cards (from origins) +x if more are added.
1-3 Alpha Mutations
x Omega Tech cards
x Gear Cards?
x Weapon/Armor Cards?
x Junk Cards?
x maybe even feat cards?

Is this too many cards? How would you react if you had 8 different types of cards for your character?
here is an example Weapon Card (I know spelling errors and stuff... 2 min work for example)
Also if anybody else is doing these 'gear' cards, I would be open to a joint effort. My hope is to get them on Artscow.com or PDFs somewhere so ya-all can print them, so help would be great. I pretty much have a script file that generates the card automatically.

Is this too many cards? How would you react if you had 8 different types of cards for your character?

IMO, yes it's too many cards.  I like the idea of the item cards but you're risking even further analysis paralysis.  My players are already bogged down with their basic attacks, origin powers, alpha mutations, and omega tech.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

In DnD 4e at 30th level you have: 2 at-will, 4 encounter, 4 daily, 7 utility, mass of magic items, and a full double sided character sheet. (not to mention fortune cards, if you use them).

I understand the Analysis Paralysis - the more options you give a person... Magic number is 3?

But thanks for the input Feetz!

I am kinda thinking this way too, but the possibility of having a deck of junk/salvage/gear that players find seems more appealing then looking up a small chart in a book (or variety of books), than having the players figure out where they are going to write down the items that they have (on the back of a character sheet or napkin) [one guy I played with his gear list was on a McDonalds Fry Box...].

I give my players condition cards/tokens like from DnD (someone here made gamma world ones). I don't know what happened to pen & paper Rpgs...

Maybe my question is not truely is it too many cards (since I am already doing them). But I am wondering if just drawing them is cool, then they write it down or give it to them (meaning I would need multiple copies if I wanted the same item after it was drawn and passed to the player...)

I guess my question should be if you had that many cards would you be bogged down by them? Are you bogged down by the cards from DnD 4e (even my 3rd level Ranger had 12 or more...)
If you think you and your group can handle it then go ahead.  It would bog down the game for me.

You could design your cards and have the players draw when the get junk.  Then have blank cards available for them to copy the text to.  Then you don't have to bother making multiples.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I kinda like this idea. It helps keep your character sheet from getting cluttered up.

IMO, yes it's too many cards.  I like the idea of the item cards but you're risking even further analysis paralysis.  My players are already bogged down with their basic attacks, origin powers, alpha mutations, and omega tech.

I kinda like this idea. It helps keep your character sheet from getting cluttered up.

In DnD at level 30 you could result in around 30 cards... Laid out might look like:

In Gamma world at level 10 you have 2 at wills, 2 encounter, 2 utility, 3 alpha mutations + Omega.
9 cards + Omega tech (assume 5?) its only half as much.
Once again...I think it would be a bad idea for MY group.  If you think it will work for YOUR group go ahead.  You asked a subjective question I gave you a subjective answer.

Despite my concerns I'm interested to see how it turns out.  Good luck.

@feetz_grande on Twitter