The lack of interest by WotC for the Darksun setting will probably kill it...

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
And it's what it seems to be happening slowly, but surely.

Not much products.
Not much release of new products.
Not much interaction with the creators.
Not much peoples come over here, on the official forum and less each passing days.
Not much information on the athas.org status, the torch in the night organization for 3.5e darksun (who care about paizo version when you had no support).
Not much web contents by WotC on darksun (btw, not everybody wish to have the subscription to DDI).

Sooo, what is your feeling about DS4e? 
The Siltskimmer Page - www.siltskimmer.org
I pesonally like it but I also have all the origianl material to work with plus with what they have put out I have at least two campaigns worth of material...
Well, I like the setting too, but what is going to happen to DS4e? Your feeling about it.
Just like any setting WOTC put out a campaign guide and a supplement then an adventure. DS has gotten all three already...
Dark Sun has always interested me. I was excited they brought it back, but never picked up the books until I saw there were issues with some places having trouble with stock. So I raced out to Borders before they closed and picked up both campaign and creature catalog. I'm glad I did because I enjoy the setting a lot. I haven't run an adventure yet for anyone... but looking forward to it.

As far as how its going to last? I'm not sure. I think there will be articles in DDI as long as there are writers. But I can see it dwindling to 1 every couple or few months. My issue is what seems to be what is in the articles. I felt this last one was so sparse it was upsetting (to the point you describe, seems like no support).

My hope is in the people who play it/run it. There are a couple people I see/follow who are posting blogs and such about their ideas and adventures and I try to send them comments or emails saying "Hey! that was great! I look forward to more." Try to keep the people who play still playing and interested.
There is a great community out there so u can utilize them for ideas and adventures...
Every 4e conversion is a stillborn project. 4e is not D&D at all, and any attempt to use this (maybe usable for smth. else) system with traditional D&D settings fails automatically. DS is not an exception.
I have had zero to little problems with 4E it is simple and easy to use wihtout a large amount of rules to weigh it down and I have easily converted dark sun over...

Not much web contents by WotC on darksun (btw, not everybody wish to have the subscription to DDI).

Between Dungeon/Dragon magazines DS has around 25 articles dedicated to it and more to come.  I think that's great support.  Why should the content be free?  You could plop $10 for a one month subscription right now and download all of those articles.  I would love to see more physical products like another book or tokens/minis but it probably isn't going to happen.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Every 4e conversion is a stillborn project. 4e is not D&D at all, and any attempt to use this (maybe usable for smth. else) system with traditional D&D settings fails automatically. DS is not an exception.

Depends on the DM. There is no doubt in my mind that some guy somewhere in the world has done a good 4e conversion.

As far as Dark Sun support goes I wish there was an Athas.org for 4e. Where players posted their own plot hooks, encounter set ups and unique creatures. With all the stuff we have access to i am suprised there isn't something out there already. Maybe there is and I just don't know about it. 
Ant Farm
I like the Dark Sun Setting and run a game. WotC is producing little adventure material for all it's settings, not just Dark Sun (compared to Patherfinder). Dark Sun is a dying world, so if WotC material dies away I'll just convert other 4e adventures to fit.

Obvious troll is obvious.

At any rate, Dark Sun 4e isn't exactly unsupported. There have been several "Eye on Dark Sun" Dungeon and Dragon articles that have come out since the books were released. 

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

Dark Sun was actually supported better than the other two settings at first. The fact that there are still articles in Dungeon and Dragon sometimes is great. You have to buy that, though. That's the same treatment all the other settings have gotten.
so far i'm pretty happy about the support WOTC has had for DS, 
like mentioned above there have been 25+ articles and it looks like more to come 

as for paying for DDI again like it was said above for less than $10 you can get a 1 month subscribtion and download them (thats less that any book they've put out)

as for a "Athas.org for 4th ed" there's the forum wiki option and there are several groups dedicated to Dark sun
take a look around and join up and help out!
its easy to complain why not DO SOMETHING ?

Dark Sun was actually supported better than the other two settings at first. The fact that there are still articles in Dungeon and Dragon sometimes is great. You have to buy that, though. That's the same treatment all the other settings have gotten.

Very true. DDI puts out about 2-4 adventures each month and consistant additional supporting material for a range of settings.
Dark Sun is just as supported as Forgotten Realms, and Eberron. My only major gripe is that I WISH WotC would put out monster tokens for the Creature Catalog (and MM3, for that matter) sold like dungeon tiles! Everyone I have ever talked to who owns or has seen the monster vault tokens loves them, and wishes they'd sell a set of 6 sheets a la dungeon tiles.

The only thing that I worry about is that some people might think Dark Sun is too "wierd". Like, those people (we know who they are) who think it isn't fantasy RPG if it isn't a LotR clone.

On the up side, both the DS campaign guide and Creature Catalog are pretty much sold out, and sadly out of print. (I think...) so there definately is intrest.

People WANT them...and WotC is famous for not re-releasing ANYTHING. You know, to make it a 'collectable'. Look at the minis line, and magic cards, and pretty much EVERYTHING they make and sell. I'm still upset I can't get that set of round tower dungeon tiles w/o spending like 50 bucks on e-bay. 

Also, I personally like to make stuff up myself. The 4e DS stuff is an excellent springboard, there's tons of 3rd party stuff floating around, athas.org has cool pdf's (true, they're 3.5, but can still be read for fluff), and if you can spare the cash, the 2e stuff shows up on e-bay all the time. I've already made a globe of Athas (using an actual globe, and a projected slide of the map that came with the DSCG...some pencils, paint, and acrylic texture gel for 3d mountains, etc.)

Hint: there's no ice on its' poles, just forest. Also, the other hemisphere has an ocean. Prblem is, there's about 8-10,000 miles of sand and silt between known athas and this ocean. Epic level solution: DIRIGIBLES! Who knows what's there....maybe my PCs will find out in like 2 years, lol. (we're only level 4).

Peace.

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Dark Sun has received more online WotC support than either Forgotten Realms or Eberron
I think the real complaint here was that the books aren't being reprinted and that there aren't more books. I fully agree with that.
I'm dissapointed with the Dark Sun support in DDI.  Thats why i've ended my subscription for the 2nd time and now i'm done.  I will still continue to run my Dark Sun game and I'll do what i've always done.  Run custom adventures or covert existing 4E (or old 2E) material to my needs.

I however do not feel that paying $10 is worth the DDI subscription.  I understand that its a great value when you consider everything you get.  But i'm not interested in anything else but Dark Sun.  So to pay $10 a month to get the 2.5 page PDF article "House of the Mind" is not worth it to me.  If there was a guaranteed Dark Sun adventure every issue it would be worth the $10.

I realize that its a business and that they need to make money, I just wish they could come up with a business plan that didn't cause them to be so fractured.  It seems like to are spreading themselves too thin.  Fewer worlds with more focus on those worlds would make me much happier.

Still i'm glad Dark Sun is at least one of those worlds and i'm happy that it's starting to get fiction book support. 

as for a "Athas.org for 4th ed" there's the forum wiki option and there are several groups dedicated to Dark sun
take a look around and join up and help out!
its easy to complain why not DO SOMETHING ?

How do I access these?
Ant Farm
Well for the 3.5 stuff: www.athas.org/
For a long list of links: www.siltskimmer.org/ though several have rendered been inoperative in the last year.
I'm dissapointed with the Dark Sun support in DDI.  Thats why i've ended my subscription for the 2nd time and now i'm done.  I will still continue to run my Dark Sun game and I'll do what i've always done.  Run custom adventures or covert existing 4E (or old 2E) material to my needs.

I however do not feel that paying $10 is worth the DDI subscription.  I understand that its a great value when you consider everything you get.  But i'm not interested in anything else but Dark Sun.  So to pay $10 a month to get the 2.5 page PDF article "House of the Mind" is not worth it to me.  If there was a guaranteed Dark Sun adventure every issue it would be worth the $10.

I realize that its a business and that they need to make money, I just wish they could come up with a business plan that didn't cause them to be so fractured.  It seems like to are spreading themselves too thin.  Fewer worlds with more focus on those worlds would make me much happier.

Still i'm glad Dark Sun is at least one of those worlds and i'm happy that it's starting to get fiction book support. 

For you, subscribing for one month out of each year is probably the way to go.

Well for the 3.5 stuff: www.athas.org/
For a long list of links: www.siltskimmer.org/ though several have rendered been inoperative in the last year.

Thanks for the plug

Unfortunatly, my time I have been scarce and my Darksun campaign is on iatus while I am working on a Fading Suns campaign. I needed fresh air. I will come back eventually to DS.

So, with a DS out of my mind, I've been pretty lazy to update my DS website. 
Was that a joke, Phoenix?
It's player interest that counts. My DS campaign is one of 2 I run and I play in 2 others. I'd love to write mine up fully but finding the time is a problem. I may post the bare bones of it. Most recently converted marauders of nibenay. The puzzle in the Nagarukum had my players going a while.
D&D is like religion. People focus far too much on the differences rather than the similarities.
I don't think it's possible to "kill" dark sun. I love it just the way it is. I'm running it on a weekly basis, and I love it. Part of what I love about dark sun is how much mystery their is. It isn't super-overpublished like the other campaign settings. I got my campaign setting, my beastiary, and the DDI supplements, and that's perfect. I can tailor the custom campaign I'm running and adventures exactly to the liking of my players and myself. The players can face the wastes with the mystery, terror, and thrill of the unknown, and we love it!
"Contemplation is the womb of treachery." -Imperial Thought for the Day
I have enjoyed the dark sun campaign setting more than any other. It is currently the only campaign I am running, but my players can't get enough of it. I have noticed a lack of material concerning the world. For instance, Tyr is very well documented, but I've been grasping at straws for the rest of the world. I'm sure veterans of dark sun would cringe at the changes I've made to the setting, but it's working for me. I guess I could dig through the old 2e stuff, but I'd love a follow-up to the campaign setting containing more than 2 pages for each of the city states. I also wish they'd kept the format of Eberron and Forgotten Realms and released the campaign setting and player's guide separately.
Check out my Dark Sun Campaign
Honestly, we're still seeing an article every month. That's really quite good compared to the Realms and Eberron.

If one wants to get some more details on things, the Veiled Alliance source book can still be found for less than $10 and is one of the more comprehensive 2nd Edition books detailing the major city-states. But they redid the setting close to the original boxed set in part so that people could reimagine huge swaths of the setting without being tied down to the previous incarnations. The mystery is part of the fun.
This may sound odd but I rather enjoy the lack of material for Dark Sun. It helps with making the campaign world your own. As it is we're given very little of the known world which leaves it ripe for making up your own stuff.

If there's one thing I'd want more of would be new monsters/enemies/factions but I suppose DDI could handle that. I'd still rather have a book, but that's not the way of things anymore.
Dark Sun is my favorite D&D Setting and I think WotC is doing a great job with it. I'm fine if they never release another DS product for the entirety of 4e! The last thing I want is for them to fall into the traffic jam that is supplement after supplement that they got into with 2e and 3e. 

They gave us enough to play Dark Sun; it's up to the Dungeon Masters now. 
Dark Sun is my favorite setting and I will play it over any other setting every time. Dark Sun will never die as long as there is player interest. A good example of this is when Dark Sun made its comeback... look at the sales an interest it had with its return. If WoTC never wrote another thing about Dark Sun I would still play it... period as will many others.
I do not like any other setting. 

As long as I could play the Dark Sun in the next editions with some extra features; Monsters, Classes and maybe a few bits and bobs.

Ant Farm
Lack of interrest? Unlikely. As mentioned before we got one article in each Dragon issue. There are many, diverse topics covered, which allows to create unexpected adventures. Moreover, tou still ahve many adveture hooks in DSCG that only wait to be explored. Actually, tehere is room to DM's idead and for inspirational material, which is fine for me. If I can make wish, it'd be adventure once per month.
Thanks for your numerous answers!

You are all right that there is many old products we can use. I have yet to see what's inside the DDI stuff, but it doesn't seem to have a lots of generated adventures (medium or grand scale).

My point is that I am now older, with kids, a full time job and a 30 horses barn owner AND still want to play DND !! Though, I cannot afford to loose time preparing a game now a day. It's why I NEED existing adventure. I don't want to build one from scratch or convert an old 2e or 3.5e into 4e, because I Don't Have The Time!

It's why I am wondering if I will ever get back to DS... I will have to focus on a RPG that already have a lots of adventures pre-made or to get back to DS 2e or 3.5e... 

You are all right that there is many old products we can use. I have yet to see what's inside the DDI stuff, but it doesn't seem to have a lots of generated adventures (medium or grand scale).

My point is that I am now older, with kids, a full time job and a 30 horses barn owner AND still want to play DND !! Though, I cannot afford to loose time preparing a game now a day. It's why I NEED existing adventure. I don't want to build one from scratch or convert an old 2e or 3.5e into 4e, because I Don't Have The Time!

It's why I am wondering if I will ever get back to DS... I will have to focus on a RPG that already have a lots of adventures pre-made or to get back to DS 2e or 3.5e... 

No offence, but if life make you occupied, why roleplaying AT ALL? In life, we often have to make a few hard choices, to make sacrifices.

Maybe you should drop rpign at all, if so occupied.

This is said without real snark or meaningness.
No offence taken. Thing is that it's one of my only hobby (it's a cheap hobby too!). It's easy to book and we play at home (when we can't, we play Boardgame). It's easy to understand why I strive to keep it: It's to keep my mental sanity! :-)

I know this is why a few of my friends have moved toward pathfinder, they have so much material you could drown in it. The simple fact is that WotC doesn't produce enough adventures for all their settings, because they go through a fine toothed comb. It's good and bad, but ultimately not useful to GM's with limited time and energy.

I fall under that category of having a real life, with a full-time job (I consider 40+ hours a vacation) and kids as well.  DS 2e came out when I started college.  After a long dry spell of not gaming, I made the decision to stay gaming to allow some type of get-a-way from all of that.  Since the kids are starting to get interested in gaming I will be able to pass that excitement along and have fun with it, and that is my drive.

Typically I am able to scavenge existing adventures from other 4e worlds and flavor them with Dark Sun, not all of them work well but the storylines might flow well enough.  Knowing the world as well as you do that would be an easy task to add that flavor.  I definitely will give the plug for DDI and the adventures they have since you would be able to find lots of other adventures beyond DS that you can use.  Definitely request the Ashes of Athas adventures from Baldman Games, they will give you a great adventure.

I do allow myself time to read in the evening before I crash for the night, so I use that time for reading the adventures.  Even just creating a few generic encounters that you can throw together during some ad hoc adventure will help maintain some level of gaming sanity! Smile
I just saw the Dark Sun comic book compendium at my local store. Has a few encounters in the back of the book and two character sheets of the main characters.
Ant Farm
If those encounter are the same, that were in ordinary issues, the are queite... high level ones, which means you have to have skill in game handling. I wish we had more heroic level adventures.
I myself would like to see the product line continue. I enjoy the setting and hope it stays around a long time.