Undermountain goes 4th

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there any published adventures for Undermountain in 4th edition?

-Khelben
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.

-Khelben

One of the D&D Encounters seasons (in fact, the very first one) called "Halaster's Lost Apprentice" was set in Undermountain.  There might be some copies floating around on the web somewhere.  Also, a couple of the Living Forgotten Realms adventures from Waterdeep delved a bit into Undermountain.  Many of them can now be found for free at www.livingforgottenrealms.com.  And, of course, at the Product Seminar at GenCon, WotC announced the April release of a published Undermountain adventure.
Thx Shawn
Sounds excellent with the april release - is this stated anywhere?
I will look for the Halaster pieces on the net. Smile
Thx Shawn
Sounds excellent with the april release - is this stated anywhere?
I will look for the Halaster pieces on the net.

The last mention I saw of it was in this chat with James Wyatt: community.wizards.com/dungeonsanddragons...

I have seen nothing about it on the Interet per se.

To be fair the Undermountain setting is the old Ian Livingstone Deathtrap Dungeon, so all you need is any dungeon delve.

Fill your boots.
I've been running two gaming groups adventures out of the Undermountain all year.  I'm actually working on a section of Wyllow Wood where an Earth Mote has emerged through it's sky gate which also is on the border of the Elemental Chaos.  Also considering using some horrific Shadowfell links within the Undermountain and Downshadow.  It's all in fun of course.

To be fair the Undermountain setting is the old Ian Livingstone Deathtrap Dungeon, so all you need is any dungeon delve.

Fill your boots.

Ed Greenwood created Undermountain in 1975, highly detailed for use with his personal gaming group.  Livingstone's Deathtrap Dungeon was 1984.  It's an understandable mistake, as much of Undermountain wasn't actually published until the 1990s, but it was not based on Livingstone's delve.

Here it is 17th of Tarsakh 2012 DR

www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...
Also it is for levels 1 to 5, they cant seem to write adventures beyond heroic tier it seems.
I didn't introduce my players to the Undermountain until they were 10th.  Of course I had the forgotten gate they were using send them into a Crime Lord Lich's lair where scores of minions zombies and a bone golem sent them barreling into some dark dangerous corners less dangerous than their arrival point.  Made some memoriable games there and am sure I will again in the future.  I used alot of classic dangers and by having the party around level 10 it gave me as a DM more room for things like Golems, Dracolich, Demons, Devils, Medusa, Dopplegangers, Humanoids adjusted for the party level maybe a few easy kills here and there.  Threw in a few plotting Shadovar and I remember using some of the classic rooms such as an imprisoned sorceress with her figurines which animate when the party helps her escape Halaster's old prison.  Seems like she was a Succubus but i can't remember all the details that was almost 2 years ago i think...  I am curious to see how they present the Undermountain now.  I had fun taking full liberty with section that had collapsed or dead end halls that were sheared off melted stone.  Some areas I allowed to break over into other famous areas such as the Statue room with the electrical pulse.  Had all the walls blown out and rubble surrounding its center.  If someone used magic near the statue they would get blasted.  Some of the older players who remembered this place were surprised by the destruction.  Those are some great haunted halls to play with.
Andrekan, I'm glad you posted.

My players will probably be halfway to 10th level by the time this arc of my campaign (in Cormyr) is done. After reading your post, I want to do as you did and pit my players against some cool heavy hitters (the aforementioned Golems, Dracoliches, Dopplegangers and so on).

I know you said it was two years ago, but do you remember which sourcebook the imprisoned sorceress encounter can be found in?
I believe it was the first Haunted Halls of the Undermountain Box set.   This encounter was on level 2 or 3 I think.  It seems like there was a sealed black stone door with a warning on it not to open inside the party discovers a dainty bedroom with the awaking Sorceress who is pleased to see she has rescuers.  A shelf within the room contains her minatures.  Their were some tough creatures (Monstrous) in the minatures yet to look upon these they were glass animals.  Oh an the dopplegangers had been turned to stone by a medusa and the party used her bloody head to free the rogue formed dopplegangers.  These were also with the players when they reached this room looking for away out of the Undermountain they ended up in the mix with the figurines.

I've got to go bust through some dusty cobwebs for real and earn some money 15 minutes to get there.
Hi,

We played our first session of Halls of Undermountain yesterday - great fun! I am planning on using the 1e boxed sets to round out the dungeon as necessary.

Write up here: richgreen01.livejournal.com/221318.html

Cheers

Rich

Parsantium: City at the Crossroads – a sourcebook for all editions of D&D and Pathfinder, available from drivethrurpg.com and paizo.com

At the Sign of the Green Man

it is for levels 1 to 5, they cant seem to write adventures beyond heroic tier it seems.

This season's Lair assault ('Spider Killer') is set in Undermountain's lost level, and is designed for super-optimized 9th level PC's... so it is probably more suitable for paragon.

"Adventurer: What dangers do the Undermountain levels hold?
Sage: Well let’s see: Witches on 1st, Weres on 2nd, and Yeenoghu is on 3rd..."
I just recently picked it up, I havnt had much time to really give it an indepth look, but I can say that I love those maps!!! It was worth it for me just for that map, now they just need to do all the other levels to!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Can one just go into a gaming store and obtain this Lair assault, or the new Encounters module (Rise of the Underdark)...?

Or do you have to be in RPGA and show them a secret decoder ring, secret handshake, and a 3D membership card?
Yeah I think you have to run a sanctioned event to be able to get it.

and seriously dude? they havnt used the decoder rings since like the 80's.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Yeah I think you have to run a sanctioned event to be able to get it.

and seriously dude? they havnt used the decoder rings since like the 80's.

Hm...that seems awfully insular, keeping it small and "club only"...

I know very little about RPGA.  Seems like it'd be better to sell it to the larger general public.

they havnt used the decoder rings since like the 80's.

That you know of.

I know very little about RPGA.

I believe it's technically WPN now rather than RPGA.

Seems like it'd be better to sell it to the larger general public.

I believe that WotC hasn't had tremendous success with selling adventures. However, when they give them away (but only to gaming stores), suddenly they're worth hundred$ on ebay.

The adventures are mainly intended to draw people into gaming stores. Also, Encounters serves to introduce and teach new players (who might then start buying books), while Lair Assaults serve as a challenge for those that like to optimize (and thus buy lots of books).

WotC has really put forth an effort to support local gaming stores.

they havnt used the decoder rings since like the 80's.

That you know of.

I knew it! Silversword, see I told you.

I believe that WotC hasn't had tremendous success with selling adventures. However, when they give them away (but only to gaming stores), suddenly they're worth hundred$ on ebay.

Just checked ebay.  Nothing.  I just hate how it takes something that could be interesting and only makes it available to an insular little club.

The adventures are mainly intended to draw people into gaming stores. Also, Encounters serves to introduce and teach new players (who might then start buying books), while Lair Assaults serve as a challenge for those that like to optimize (and thus buy lots of books).

WotC has really put forth an effort to support local gaming stores.

Maybe, but with a big promotion I don't think it's a good idea to keep it behind a "club only" wall.  I have two gaming stores here in town, both nice in their own way.  But Hell will freeze over before I sign up for a game with random people I probably won't like. 

Why not also make it available for me to purchase, and use with my friends in our gaming group?  None of us are interested in RPGA or whatever it is now, or the "rewards" from that kind of play.  Honestly, it's just supporting a small portion of fans who enjoy competitive play.

with a big promotion I don't think it's a good idea to keep it behind a "club only" wall.

Maybe, but WotC has done well by promoting public play events and hard to obtain collectible items (MTG, Pokemon, D&D miniatures). Can't fault them for trying this.

But there are plenty of other adventures you can buy, and literally hundreds of good, official RPGA adventures that you can have for free. No secret handshake or Decoder ring required. Some of them even take place in Undermountain (Downshadow area). It seems like they would definitely fit your needs better than some unavailable Lair Assault designed for competitive play.
Speaking of those free RPGA adventures, the livingforgottenrealms website seems to have disappeared since yesterday.
Sorry for the alarm. It is back with an update.
Sorry for the alarm. It is back with an update.

Looks like "Rise of the Underdark" isn't part of their upcoming adventures... so I guess it is a separate thing from RPGA.

Oh well.