09/29/2011 TD: "Taking a Second, Third, Fourteenth Look"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Bramblecrush is a strict upgrade to Creeping Mold! In other news, Crush is a strict upgrade to Shatter!

Also, Bloodline Keeper as an Overrun...if you already have four other guys and all of them are vampires...that seems sketchy.

Serendib Efreet is grossly overpowered, huh.
Bramblecrush is a strict upgrade to Creeping Mold! In other news, Crush is a strict upgrade to Shatter!

Also, Bloodline Keeper as an Overrun...if you already have four other guys and all of them are vampires...that seems sketchy.

Serendib Efreet is grossly overpowered, huh.

I agree that Bonds, Delver, Snapcaster, and Ghost Quarter will get played.

Nevermore and Witchbane Orb will get side-deck space.

The rest, not so much. 
Re: Bloodline Keeper.

Not really. You need three other guys. Then on your turn, tap, vampire, pay B, Everthing +2/+2. Easily a turn 5 play in a Vampire deck.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Not only is this the only Debtors' Knell we currently have at hand, but as much as you might not want to pay that mana, there is a world of difference between six and seven.

Sheoldred, Whispering One does a pretty good Debtors' Knell impersonation, ne?
Not only is this the only Debtors' Knell we currently have at hand, but as much as you might not want to pay that mana, there is a world of difference between six and seven.

Sheoldred, Whispering One does a pretty good Debtors' Knell impersonation, ne?

Perhaps players forget there is also, the likely unplayable double-Knell option, Parallel Lives. Consider throwing out not one, but two creature tokens for any 186 you might want previously smoked that game.

Plus, being vulnerable to creature removal makes the Fat Lady somewhat less constructed worthy. Good, big beaters have to be worth their salt immediately to have the value that being nuked by a spell on your own turn makes their effect worth it, even if it's just an Explosive Vegetation for nonbasics for 6 mana.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

While it only comes up a small amount of the time, Crush can't hit creatures meaning it isn't a strict upgrade. Also don't see the point in that comment. I can see a green deck running Bramblecrush. Sure, it competes with [c]Beast Within[/b] and I don't see that getting much play, but in a new stanadrd it does have a shot.

Also, really don't see how Bloodhall being able to shock an enemy walker will make it good since your using 6 mana to do it, and odds are the walker will still be there to get them more advantage next turn. Sure, it can kill one, but I can only see that happening if you already have 5 other lands out and they have a walker at 2 or 1.

While it only comes up a small amount of the time, Crush can't hit creatures meaning it isn't a strict upgrade.

I'm fairly certain that there is no reason why you would want to destroy an artifact creature because as everyone knows, all artifacts are noncreatures, which makes Crush strictly better than Shatter. Okay, there are corner-case exceptions like Argent Mutation, but nobody plays them in constructed. It would be like saying Bramblecrush isn't a strict upgrade over Creeping Mold because it can't kill Lucent Liminid!

Artifacts that are also creatures? This is clearly a ridiculous hypothetical situation you have concocted in order to present a ludicrous counterexample to Mike Flores's assertion that Bramblecrush is a strict upgrade to Creeping Mold. Ha, such a silly idea, I chuckle to myself at the thought. Chuckle chuckle. Yes, in such a strange mixed-up bizarro world where these "artifact creatures" exist and are constructed playable, there might be a reason to play Shatter over Crush, but this is reality, not a wacky magical dreamland where artifacts are creatures and islands tap for green and people eat their toast butter-side down!

Uh-oh, looks like a strong divergence:

LSV

I’ve never liked this kind of effect, and adding one more mana to the cost certainly doesn’t help. I’m never going to play this.

Mike Flores

"Nevermore?"

Um. Yeah?

"Probably should have Dissipated that, brah."

Then I wouldn't have the Dissipate I need.

"How is that different from the situation you are in?"

Um...

"Yeah. Kill ya, brah."

All I can say is that if people playing Nevermore will also be saying "brah" a lot, we should ban it just to be safe.

To improve on what .Blaze. said, actually neither of these can hit artifact creatures.  That's a non-strict upgrade that's really going to hurt if your opponent has Precursor Golem, Porcelain Legionnaire, or one of the other playable artifact creatures our trip to Mirrodin has left us with.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

To improve on what .Blaze. said, actually neither of these can hit artifact creatures.  That's a non-strict upgrade that's really going to hurt if your opponent has Precursor Golem, Porcelain Legionnaire, or one of the other playable artifact creatures our trip to Mirrodin has left us with.

Looks like someone missed the sarcasm in mutantman's post.

Looks like someone missed the sarcasm in mutantman's post.

Whoops, yes I did. Honestly I reacted as soon as he mentioned Bramblecrush and then Blaze's response quoted Crush to reinforce it. And then he ninja'd me on the second post.

My bad.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I think people are underrating Stensia Bloodhall a bit.  Sure it is good at killing PWs, but it is also good at um...straight-up winning.  Long-grinding control decks without lifegain will straight up lose to an aggressive deck that can run this.  I know this is an example of design creating your deck for you, but BR Vampires looks playable again.  And I'm surprised to see the Bloodline Keeper comparisons to other non-black/non-vampire card.  I thought the  most obvious comparison was clearly Vampire Nocturnus.  While not quite as potentially as explosive as turn 4 play it, turn 5 untap reveal black, swing-win!  It does get even more annoying than Nocturnus the longer the game goes on.  Generally black creatures with more than 3 toughness are hard to deal with, but with Dismember being the most commonly used removal target, I doubt it will be that good.  It's a bit slow and easily answered.  Still good, but not great.   
Bonds of Faith seems awfully good on Blighted Agent.  With Inquisitioner's Flail, could be lethal really soon
I'd like to first turn Birds of Paradise into a second turn Forbidden Alchemy into a third turn Stitched Drake but I agree that it isn't very consistent. Although, having Birds of Paradise and Forbidden Alchemy in hand would make it more consistent since you get to see your top four.
I ran into a deck which brought in Dead Weight against my Bant Pod the other day.  It ended up being just insane, much much better than Disfigure would have been.  I had a massive swarm out and he answered it with Dead Weight followed by a Sun Titan - bringing back Dead Weight that turn and every turn thereafter.  Turned it from a bad Disfigure into much, much better than Dismember.

He didn't claim it was a strict upgrade. He used the qualifier "more or less", which implies that there are, in fact, situations where it would not be a strict upgrade. And you have pointed out the situation (which I'm assuming he didn't point out in the article because it's obvious): Artifact Creatures.
Thing is, though, that if you're playing Creeping Mold, you're not doing so for creature removal. There are better options for that. Therefore, for the things you'd run Creeping Mold to handle, Bramblecrush is better for being able to also hit Planeswalkers.
Admittedly this card's release being shortly after Scars of Mirrodin does kind of hurt the point, but Scars won't be in Standard with this card for its entire lifespan.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Mike needs to learn the proper use of the word "circa."
Sign In to post comments