(DM ONLY) An Extra Curve Ball for running Session 8

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the encounter fast approaching, I wanted to let everyone in on a "director's cut" that didn't make it past editing.

In my original draft, there was a specter (that's right, an honest-to-gods specter) that dwelled in the Statue, which was why it was so clean. The specter was a jealous guardian of its statue and would come out and attack anyone who interefered with the statue or came close to it.

If your heroes are sailing through the encounter, feel free to add that element in. Be warned that as a level 4 lurker, it might be a tough adversary.

If they kill the specter, award them extra XP and maybe throw a magic item their way--i.e., the statue splits apart to reveal a magic treasure hidden inside!

Cheers
I like it! I was kind of wondering why the statue didn't animate and attack.
- Rico
Any stats for this lurker by chance? I'd love to use that tonight if the dwarves show up.
Another thing I was thinking of doing: If you've ever seen crocs attack, they pull their prey into the water and then spin around trying to tear off a limb or drown their prey. So, when the crocs have someone grabbed, and they do their crushing jaws attack, I think I'm going to have them drag the character away, and require the character to make a reflex save to avoid gulping in some of the water. If they fail the save (gulp the water) they will risk contracting filth fever.
- Rico
Any stats for this lurker by chance? I'd love to use that tonight if the dwarves show up.

Can't post the direct stats, I'm afraid, so as not to violate WotC's proprietary info/copyrights, etc. But if you have a DDI account, a Monster Manual, or probably Monster Vault (sorry, away from my books at the moment), you should be able to get it. Ask around at the game store, and you can probably borrow one.

If you do take the specter straight out of the original 4e Monster Manual, add 4 extra damage to all its attacks for balance reasons.

Cheers
My mistake - didn't realize it was literally "specter" ;)  Thanks
Since this thread is here....

Illumination for the encounter is darkness. The creatures have low-light vision... Intended?
Since this thread is here....

Illumination for the encounter is darkness. The creatures have low-light vision... Intended?

Yeah. I wondered about that too. Fortunately, someone in the party will have a light source.

- Rico
Unless they all have darkvision.

/plans

But yes, that was my assumption. I could see it being a problem though. I know my dwarves will have to have a light source but always lookin out for the possibilities.
Unless they all have darkvision.

/plans

But yes, that was my assumption. I could see it being a problem though. I know my dwarves will have to have a light source but always lookin out for the possibilities.

I had two drow in my party and one player lit a torch.
- Rico
I wish I'd seen this before running tonight.

@darkness: Unless your entire party is drow, I don't think it should be a problem. The PCs will no doubt have a light source of some kind. This is more of a "well, logically, there's no light down here."

If I'd been designing all the statblocks, I probably would have given the creatures darkvision to compensate, but most of the monsters in the season come straight out of the Monster Vaults.

Also, if your PCs are all drow, then they DESERVE the huge advantage they get, but I hope you make them pay for that in RP.

Cheers

I had 4 [four] mages. they each cast light. Damn sewer looked like LAX Runway by the time they were done!