SOLAR FLARE OFFICIAL PRIMER

144 posts / 0 new
Last post

It has gotten to the point where I believe that this deck is too relevant in this format to ignore.  As a result, I'm gonna go ahead and make a primer.

What is Solar Flare?
Solar Flare was a deck around the Rav/TSP era where people would use a Vindicate on a stick by reanimating it, but the deck would play out as a control deck using the reanimate plan as a backup plan.

Decklists
I decided to start with decklists to give people a good idea on how the decks look like before they see the recommended cards.

To start, here is TacoMaster's list from Magic-League:

I don't remeber what changes he made (other than him telling me he added AEther Adept), but this is a really good example.

Here is one that made Top 8 at a magic-league Master (note that 5/8 of the decks were RDW in that top 8 :P):

magic-league.com/deck/72891/standard_t2.... Control165951

The forums aren't letting me c&p the deck so I'll link it :P

I would post my list, but it looks almost exactly like both those lists :P

Creatures
Jin-Gitaxias:  I will kick you in places you don't want to be kicked if you play this card.

Grave titan:  I play it, I think it is really good so i go a 2/1 sun/grave titan split.

Sun Titan:  Probably the best fatty in the deck.  Brings back Snapcasters and Lilianas <3

Consecrated Sphinx:  Still really good.  It dodges Dismember and draws cards.

Phantasmal Image:  One of my favorite plays with this deck is with this card.  Unburial Rites the Sun Titan getting back Phantasmal Image, copy titan, get back other Phantasmal Image, get back Liliana of the Veil.

Snapcaster Mage:  This guy lives up to the hype.  He is really that good in here.  There are a ton of great targets like DoJ, Doom Blade, Dissipate, Mana Leak, Surgical Extraction, GFTT, Timely Reinforcements, etc.  If you aren't playing this guy, you are doing it wrong.

Sheoldred (can't remember his (her?) whole name):  Not worth it.  The deck isn't a reanimate deck, it is a Control deck.  DON'T PLAY IT LIKE A REANIMATOR DECK (unless you get a hand that lets you, i.e. t3 alchemy hitting rites and sphinx, then you get turn 4 sphinx)!!!!

Elesh Norn:  I'm not going to go crazy about this card.  If you want to play this as a 1-of, that is fine, but I honestly wouldn't.  Getting to 7 against RDW (probably the best aggro in the new format) is hard so I'm not going to recommend it, but you can play it if you would like.  I know it can be nuts if gotten out turn 4, but how often does that honestly happen?

Spells (the ones that aren't obvious)
Unburial Rites:  I wouldn't play more than 2.  It is a great card, but the deck isn't a Reanimator deck.  However, it isn't Solar Flare without this card and the card is a really great card, but not worth having more or less than 2, especially since it has flashback.

Dissipate:  This card is amazing.  Not only does it stop flashback cards, but it also helps agains the mirror by countering their guy and they can't Reanimate it.  It also helps against RDW's Chandra's Phoenix.

Timely Reinforcements: I promise you that RDW is a real deck.  This card is really good at slowing them down.  It doesn't help against Hero of Oxid Ridge, but that card isn't that hard to deal with.

Think Twice:  Just a great card all around.  I'm playing 4.  It is no Preordain, but it does what I need it to do.

Oblivion Ring: Stopping Shrine of Burning Rage before the sb is very important.

Mana Leak:  Still the best counter in the format.

Removal:  Doom Blade and 1 Go for the Throat should get the job done.

Forbidden Alchemy:  4 is too many, but 3 is a great amount.  The card is really, really good.  It puts cards in the gy for us to Reanimate later AND it gives us a card.

Liliana of the Veil:  This card is amazing.  Killing their stuff and discarding cards is always good, but it can be brought back with Sun Titan, and we don't care about discarding our cards that much with having Snapcaster Mage, Sun Titan and Unburial Rites in the deck.  Her ult is just the icing on the cake.

Lands
This is where things get tricky.  These are the lands you should play, but the number of each land can and will get complicated:

Plains/Island/Swamp:  basic lands that should be played as it helps your M12/ISD Duals and gives you extra protection from Ghost Quarter.

Glacial Fortress/Isolated Chapel//Seachrome Coast:  These lands are weaker in this deck than the M12/ISD Duals which is why they shouldn't be 4-ofs.  They can be, but 2-3 of each should be plenty.

Sideboard
Things will get messy here.  There are literally dozens of sideboard options:

Stony Silence:  I recommend using this over Torpor Orb.  Torpor Orb hurts you as well, this card doesn't hurt you at all.  If you need extra Birthing Pod help, go Stony over Orb.

Mental Misstep:  RDW is a major game player, having won the magic-league Master and the only 2 trials with ISD so far, and this card stops Stormkirk Noble and Grim Lavamancer...and Furnace Scamp, etc. etc.

Dead Weight:  I like this card as it helps against RDW and you can bring it back with Sun Titan.  Just imagine if the card had flash xD

Timely Reinforcements:  At this point, if RDW is beating you postboard, you are doing it wrong.  Timely+everything else=sad RDW player.

Divine Offering- Shrine of Burning Rage, Sword of War and Peace and others, and Birthing Pod are all relevant targets.

Oblivion Ring: Reall relevant.

There are many more options as well, but these are the bread-and-butter cards in the sb.
Want to know how to keep a moron busy? Reread this sentence to find out!
Thanks a lot man, I was hoping something would pop up on this deck since I wasnt around for rav/tsp standard. I think one of the guys at my shop is going to be running a variation of this but he keeps referring to it as esper reanimator. Chancellor of the annex could be pretty good to muck things up.
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Hello, I want to say very good job on this piece!

It has helped me understand Solar flare more and I bet others also.

Welcome to what, two weeks ago? Burning_Forest started a thread, but it got bogged down by people who don't know what the difference between a control and reanimator deck are (read: Noobs) so I unsub'd and ignored it.

That being said, I'm not a fan of running more than 2 Snapkeep Mages- I just feel the card is a little too situational to be useable, though its good. But I agree that Grave/Sun titans and Consecrated Sphinx are the best bombs to play, and that you don't want more than 2 Unburial and 3 Alchemy.

But I'm confused by your decklist's sideboard. Dead Weight? 

Oh, and as for your primer, you need to add Consecrated Sphinx and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, as playable and unplayable respectively. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I've found Snapcaster to be underwhelming in testing. It's certainly good, but not 4-of good. Bringing it back with Sun Titan is sometimes lame, as it's not always the appropriate time for counters or removal at that point. 

Dead weight is fun. Sun Titan can put it on the field and weaken opposing fatties, or it can be cheap removal  in the early game (at sorcery speed it's less than ideal, but not unplayable).  
a few cards to note:  wurmcoil engine is really good in this deck, i'd want to play 1 somewhere.  the card is very hard for people to deal with properly.  also, apparently that new 3 mana instant black card edict that gains life is really good.  my friend who plays on the pro tour has been raving about this card.  probably should warrant MD or at least some SB play.

GY hate is probably important to have moving forward in the form of nihil spellbomb as i think the GY will play a bigger role than even anyone is predicting yet.  i've been seeing it do some crazy things and its enough to want me playing 2 at least.

finally, i feel like cards like revoke existence and divine offering should make an appearance complimenting things like Oring.  revoke is the single best answer to wurm coil engine and has many good applications otherwise.  i'm also pretty sure that stony silence will be a good card to play as it stops pod and swords.  seems better than torpor orb, i suppose, for the pod matchup.

does no one like jens?  i never see him in lists.  maybe its just me, but i like playing a few of him.  ramping to a turn 5 titan is nice.  granted, my list is probably going to be very far from the lists i'm seeing.  i don't have much of a list at this point, i'm still building it for FNM (so glad to be playing paper again!!)

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

3 reasons I don't use sun titan in my Solar Flare list.

1. Weak board state against aggro - Especially when he's your first fatty to hit the board, sun titan isn't going to be swinging the board into your favor unless you got REALLY lucky on your FA discards.

2. Vulnerability to doom blade/GFTT.

3. Interferes with Torpor Orb, something that's absolutely necessary against pod lists.

1 Sphinx
2 Elesh Norn
1 Sheoldred
1 Grave Titan
2 Wurmcoil Engine
3 Snapcaster Mage

That's my creature base for Solar Flare. Varied enough to not get shut down by a single surgical extraction, varied enough to create dead removal options in my opponent's deck, and immune to torpor orb (barring the single grave titan).

I really can't stress how important Elesh Norn is in this deck. to put it simply, aggro and pod don't stand a chance if she hits the field. What's even more important is the fact that your opponent's clone effects don't give them bonus value in the same sense copying a wurmcoil or sphinx does. Sheoldred is in there because she breaks the stalemate in the mirror. Free reanimates and edicts every turn gives you the tempo to eventually break through an opponent's board.

Photobucket
I really like the spells in the list in the OP, but it only has 25 lands, with no mana fixing - that seems like an issue to me, because every Esper deck I've played that doesn't have any fixing assistance whatsoever hits mana problems way too often to ignore. I'd definitely go to 26 lands at the very least.

Surgical is a very mean 1-of in this deck. It's a total mirror breaker, and I think actually quite strong in the upcoming metagame. 

I think Draft is the best format in Magic.

I strive to be critical, rational and openminded.

I'm surprised you didn't mention elesh norn.  It basically reads "when ~ enters the battlefield, destroy all creatures with cmc 2 or less"

But why would you play Elesh Norn?  The deck isn't a reanimator deck, it is a control deck.  7 mana is still a lot for a control deck.
But I already made a thread for this (It wasn't Burning Forest!) And while I appreciate that you know the difference between Reanimator Combo and Control, a lot of the comments in your OP about particular cards are just wrong.

I like Razorgore's creature list, and would run something like it. I was using Sun and Frost Titans, but Frost Titan was always a bit disappointing when I got him. Sun Titan into Image into Liliana was always great, but it didn't actually happen all that often. I think I might put them in the SB and change my maindeck around.

Oh, and FYI Razorgore, Torpor Orb shuts down Snapcaster Mage. Just so you know.
The Sun Titan package (with Images and Snapcasters) just seems a little too durdly to me. I'd rather use Grave Titan, Wurmcoil, or Elesh Norn and seal the deal quickly. He's the most vulnerable creature to removal as well. If you're running Snapcaster anyways (which I'm not both because he's just mediocre in this deck and because I don't have $120 to buy themCry) then Sun Titan package can be pretty decent.

I am running a singleton Sun Titan in my list though to grab lands, O-Rings, and Lilianas that I've either lost or dumped to Alchemy. He's been ok, but I always seem to draw him when I'd rather have Wurmcoil or Elesh Norn.

On the subject of Elesh Norn: Run one. Seriously. This thing shuts down aggro so hard it isn't even funny.
But I already made a thread for this (It wasn't Burning Forest!) And while I appreciate that you know the difference between Reanimator Combo and Control, a lot of the comments in your OP about particular cards are just wrong.

I like Razorgore's creature list, and would run something like it. I was using Sun and Frost Titans, but Frost Titan was always a bit disappointing when I got him. Sun Titan into Image into Liliana was always great, but it didn't actually happen all that often. I think I might put them in the SB and change my maindeck around.

Oh. Sorry

(at)MrEnglish22

Here's the list I'm at currently.  No testing, just lots of... brainstorming.

I wanted to get the second Elesh Norn's destruction of aggro, but at a cheaper cost... hence the massacre.  I adjusted the mana base appropiately, as triple black might be a pain.  Plenty of anti-aggro in the board.

Of course, now looking at it, Massacre is terrible with Torpor Orb.  He probably gets boarded out in the pod matchup, anyways.

"Expect to go permanently deaf." First Line Of The Tenth Thunder Artillery Handbook
Masacre wurm is too mana intensive, and doesn't give you added benefit for staying on the field longer than a turn. Put simply, there are better dudes to be run.

Photobucket

Sun Titan->Image->X (doesn't have to be liliana) is still a great play and it does happen to me a lot of the time.  Not every game, but often enough in my matches to keep the Sun Titans.  Can you explain what I said was wrong?  As I see it right now, maybe a Sheoldred/Elesh Norn would be fine, but anymore than 1 combined is just awful.  7 mana is just too, too much.  If you want to play Elesh Norn, fine, I'll put it in the OP, but I'm not going to go OMGZ DIS IS NUTZ over it.

Also, to whoever said Snapcaster was underwhelming, have you actually played with him?  He has been the best creature in the list I've been playing (I've been playing Taco's list) by far.

Anyways, I have some time before my next class so I'm gonna go ahead and finish the OP.
I like Sphere of the Suns to use turn 3 Wraths fairly often. It also makes it easier to cast Elesh Norn and Sheoldred, both of which I love in the deck. Sheoldred confers a near unbeatable lategame.
7 for Norn is too much? Man titans have spoiled people. The original Solar Flare deck was all about 7 and 8s with its Akromas, Angel of Dispairs and Debtor's knells. You know, back in my day we had to pay 8 mana for good creatures and we were happy about it. That is of course, after walking 15 miles to the gameshop. Uphill. Barefoot. In the snow. :D

Speaking of  the original solar flare,  it used debtor's knell to get the edge in control on control matches. Maybe 1-2 Back from the Brink in the sb for the same purposes?
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
7 for Norn is too much? Man titans have spoiled people. The original Solar Flare deck was all about 7 and 8s with its Akromas, Angel of Dispairs and Debtor's knells. You know, back in my day we had to pay 8 mana for good creatures and we were happy about it. That is of course, after walking 15 miles to the gameshop. Uphill. Barefoot. In the snow. :D

Speaking of  the original solar flare,  it used debtor's knell to get the edge in control on control matches. Maybe 1-2 Back from the Brink in the sb for the same purposes?

You can't compare Solar Flare original to the Esper control decks that people want to make into Solar Flare for todays standard. You don't have any absurd way to get free vindicates every single turn anymore. You don't have Debtors Knell, Akroma, or Angel of Dispair. You don't have counterspells or Remands. The reason Titans have "spoiled people" is because the difference between 6 and 7 or 7 and 8 is a lot bigger than 5 to 6.

And Brink isn't as good as Flores makes it out to be. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Sun Titan->Image->X (doesn't have to be liliana) is still a great play and it does happen to me a lot of the time.  Not every game, but often enough in my matches to keep the Sun Titans.  Can you explain what I said was wrong?  As I see it right now, maybe a Sheoldred/Elesh Norn would be fine, but anymore than 1 combined is just awful.  7 mana is just too, too much.  If you want to play Elesh Norn, fine, I'll put it in the OP, but I'm not going to go OMGZ DIS IS NUTZ over it.

I think I already posted why sun titan is inferior, but I'll go over it again.

1. Vulnerable to torpor Orb.

2. 3 Sun titans is EXTREMELY vulnerable to surgical extraction.

3. Sun titans have the weakest board state change of all of your other options.

At the very least, you need to alter your list of fatties to be more varied.

Photobucket

You can't compare Solar Flare original to the Esper control decks that people want to make into Solar Flare for todays standard. You don't have any absurd way to get free vindicates every single turn anymore. You don't have Debtors Knell, Akroma, or Angel of Dispair. You don't have counterspells or Remands. The reason Titans have "spoiled people" is because the difference between 6 and 7 or 7 and 8 is a lot bigger than 5 to 6.

And Brink isn't as good as Flores makes it out to be. 

You took my joking a little too seriously methinks. 

------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
The "original" solar flare was kami/rav, so it didn't use akromas...

I think I already posted why sun titan is inferior, but I'll go over it again.

1. Vulnerable to torpor Orb.

2. 3 Sun titans is EXTREMELY vulnerable to surgical extraction.

3. Sun titans have the weakest board state change of all of your other options.

At the very least, you need to alter your list of fatties to be more varied.

Okay, Sun Titan is NOT inferior. 

1.  Torpor Orb shouldn't be played in the first place in this deck.

2.  Other than Solar Flare, what decks play Surgical mainboard?  Heck even sb?

3.  Care to explain?  Sun Titans board state change is major.
Torpor Orb allows you to beat Pod, who otherwise have a stronger lategame than you.

Surgical is relevant out of the sideboard, and plenty of people are playing it.

Only if you get the Titan-Image-Threat combo, which does not happen often in practice. You can't slam Sun Titan Turn 4-6 and profit. 
Torpor Orb allows you to beat Pod, who otherwise have a stronger lategame than you.

Only if you get the Titan-Image-Threat combo, which does not happen often in practice. You can't slam Sun Titan Turn 4-6 and profit. 

Second MrIndigo. Sun titan may have several cool intereaction but he is far from the best option. A mix of Grave Titan, Wurmcoil, and Sphinx is most likly the better plan.

My main question for this deck is Sphere of the Suns or Sad Robot or neither?

What Indigo said.

Sun Titan's board impact is very situational, whereas Elesh Norn or Grave Titan is non-situational. Their effects happen regardless of what else has happened in the game, or what else is in your graveyard. Sun Titan is inconsistant, basically. The Sun Titan package has the chance to be much more devastating than any other fatty, but that is very rarely the case. More likely, you'll get back an O Ring or Liliana and that's the end of the recursion string.

Even worse, as Indigo said, you can't take advantage of Sun Titan in the early game the way you can Grave Titan or Elesh Norn. If you have nothing in the graveyard, he's just a big dumb man with Vigilance. A turn 4 or 5 Elesh Norn against any non-control deck is extremely difficult to recover from.
Has anyone tested Rune-Scarred Demon? I just played a mirror against someone running Sun Titan and Rune-Scarred over Graves and Wurmcoils, and the tutor was extremely relevant. Being able to slam a 6/6 flyer and tutor for an O Ring or Purify the Grave to stymy my answer was pretty huge.

I'm also switching from Nihil Spellbomb to Purify the Grave in the side. "Oh, Surgical Extraction eh? How about no."

ALSO! I'm either adding the 4th Unburial Rites to the main or I'm putting the 4th in the side. Not having 4 cost me the match against the mirror. It's easily the most important card in that match-up.

I'm pretty happy with how my deck performed considering I wasn't able to find Lilianas before FNM started. All 3 of my other matches were very easy wins against UB Control, Mono Black, and Esper Control.
So, didn't have a stellar night at FNM last night, but I did learn a few things.

-I want a 26th land, at the least.  Lands are important.
-4 Think Twice, I feel is too many.  I'm thinking about going to 2 Think Twice and 2 Ponder.  Forbidden Alchemy acts as a pseudo shuffle, allowing you to bin unwanted cards after a ponder.
-I had issues with creatures.  I want another sweeper main, probably BSZ, and most likely a psychic barrier.  Mana leak often became worthless, especially in the control matches (all one I played).
-ORing is a pain.  Definitely sideboarding some enchantment hate, which also hits TS.
-Sheoldred is amazing.  Massacre Wurm was pretty spectacular, nuking a white weenies board after I had wrathed and he brought them all back as spirits with moorland haunt.  Definitely missed having a sun titan, and will be finding room for one.
-Surgical extraction was never that good for me.  Of course, I played 3 aggro decks.
-A 3rd Unburial rites is in order.  In my one control matchup, I was down to 8 cards left before I finally hit one, and wasn't able to stick a threat through casting.  I want to have one in hand more often than not.

I'll be brewing a new list this weekend.
"Expect to go permanently deaf." First Line Of The Tenth Thunder Artillery Handbook
Your thoughts on Think Twice are likely because you played against so much aggro. It was WAY better than Forbidden Alchemy for me last night, and I played against 3 control decks and 1 midrange.

I'm thinking of dropping to 3 Forbidden Alchemy. Because of the flashback, it's not super important to draw more than 1 or 2 a game. With 4 I almost decked myself multiple times digging for Unburial Rites. Like I said, I want that 4th Rites and possibly another O Ring. Alchemy seems like a good candidate for cuts.
Hi, trying to make a list myself.

Have some doubts between Torpor Orb and Stony Silence, mainly, because I think Mimic Vat is not being used much (and I don't know why) 

Mimic Vat will filter opponents graveyard for either Solar Flare and Birthing Pod (as well for big red with Phoenix, Colossus and Wurm) 

So if you play with it Torpor will be better, since your Vat is almost safe from anything. If you do not use Vat or swords, Stony Silence is better, but will probably die to a Viridian Corrupter or Slime against pod. 

But yeah orb hurts your Snapcaster.

Another question I have is, why not use Praetor's Grasp? it will break chains on torpor orb, or even steal an Elsh Norn.

Cheers

This is what I came up with for a decklist,

SPELLS = 37

Sun Titan x2 

Snapcaster Mage x2 

Nevermore x2 

Gitaxian Probe x2 

Sword of Feast and Famine x2 

Geist of Saint Traft x4

Mana Leak x4

Unburial Rites x3 

Ponder x4 

Day of Judgement x2 

Doomblade x3 

Forbidden Alchemy x3 

Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite x2 

Lilliana of the Veil x2 

LAND = 23

Isolated Chapel x4 

Glacial Fortress x4 

Drowned Catacomb x4

Darkslick Shores x1 

Seachrome Coast x1 

Plains x3

Swamp x3

Island x3 
Adding Swords made your deck worse, not better. You and everyone else need to learn why Caw worked and why its bad now, and stop trying to make every new deck into a Caw homage.
No need to hate! I was brainstorming ideas together. Geist of Saint Traft would go great with Sword. I wasn't thinking of a new caw. 
At that cost, what would be great here is a Wall of Denial.
--26 Lands--
4 Isolated Chapel
3 Glacial Fortress
1 Drowned Catacomb
2 Seachrome Coast
2 Darkslick Shores
7 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Island

--8 Creatures--
2 Archon of Justice
3 Grave Titan
1 Consecrated Sphinx
2 Solemn Simulacrum

--26 Other Spells--
4 Forbidden Alchemy
3 Day of Judgment
3 Timely Reinforcements
2 Unburial Rights
3 Dismember
3 Doom Blade
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Gideon Jura 
1 Surgical Extraction 

-This list seems like the best approach to Solar Flare. A strong Black-White core with creature hate, anti-aggro cards, a few utility cards, and some big beaters. Add to it Blue for Forbidden Alchemy to filter your draws and dump stuff in the 'yard that you can reanimate later. 

-Keeping Blue as a splash also leads to the most stable manabase because it only requires 8-10 Blue sources.  

Thoughts?
Why Archon of Justice? It does nothing until it dies, and you have no way to sacrifice it. Besides, you don't WANT to sacrifice it, you want to drop a creature and ride it to the win.
Has anyone actually tested a Smallpox list? If so, how have you found it?
I actually did and my suggestion is don't play it it's just not as good as the other options it wasn't that the actual deck was bad but I often found myself never really wanting to cast smallpox It just sat dead in my hand about 90% of the time.
Has anyone tested Rune-Scarred Demon?

I'm going to try a creature layout such as:
3 Rune-Scarred Demon
2 Grave Titan
1 Wurmcoil
1 Elesh Norn

I have no idea if that's better than what I'm running now, but Rune-Scarred seriously wrecked me in the mirror match. Fetching Purify the Grave, Extraction, Unburial Rites, and Oblivion Ring is just so so good.

Tried it, hated the fact that it keeps you from getting to the late game faster. Late-game is where you crush people's dreams, and any Solar Flare list needs to be focused on the ability to get to the late game + have the strongest potential late-game in a possible mirror.

Also, these lists with 23 lands are a joke. 25 minimum, and that's only in lists running 4 x Ponder and 4 x FA.

Photobucket
Hello all, glad I finally found a thread explaining what this Solar Flare was that everyone kept referencing (but never explaining!). It seems to match the idea I was coming up with for new standard. So, here is a decklist I came up with. Note, it is a different take one what you guys are going with, but I have a feeling you will have the best advice or you will just convince me to use one of your lists. I went with B/W instead of B/W/u

Land 24
4 Isolated Chapel 
9 Swamp
11 Plains

Creatures 9
3 Sun Titan
1 Grave Titan
3 Doomed Traveler
2 Phyrexian Rager

Spells 29
2 Sphere of the Suns
3 Midnight Haunting
3 Liliana of the Veil
2 Elspeth Tirel
2 Altar's Reap
3 Tezzeret's Gambit
2 Day of Judgement
2 Doom Blade
3 Go for the Throat
2 Unburial Rites
2 Timely Reinforcements
3 Oblivion Ring

Side Board - TBD
Probably fill out the unburial rites, timely reinforcements, the sac/gain life point removal spell, some GY and artifact/enchant hate

Some explanations as to playstyle/cardchoice:

My math says I listed 62 cards - I am pretty sure I cut it down to 61, but not sure which I cut at the moment

Token generators - Midnight haunting and doomed traveler. Early game against RDW, used to sac for Altar's Reap (need the card draw in the B/W version). Can also maybe get a little damage in if playing against a control or deck having issues getting started. Also, crucical blockers to keep Liliana alive long enough for me to use her 3 times, killing two of their creatures and discarding a card.

Removal suite - DB/GftT as point creature removal, DoJ as mass creature removal, O-Ring as planeswalker/tempered steel/etc removal 

Elspeth - had her listed originally, looking back she is probably sub-par and should become Gideon. However, the additional wrath is pretty nice against opposing control decks (goodbye o-rings! and PWers) 

Play style -  drop tokens early to support liliana, keep their board clear with Liliana, doom blades, wrath if necessary. Let liliana die off, pitch a sun titan if possible to reanimate. So this is more of a stalling build than the proactive card draw build that blue gives. I have yet to fully test it (just built it here this weekend), so please give me some opinions on what is good/bad and whether or not it is warranted over going into blue as well. I really like the more stable mana base (only requiring double white, double black is pretty nice).

Thanks for reading!

Tried it, hated the fact that it keeps you from getting to the late game faster. Late-game is where you crush people's dreams, and any Solar Flare list needs to be focused on the ability to get to the late game + have the strongest potential late-game in a possible mirror.

Also, these lists with 23 lands are a joke. 25 26 minimum, and that's only in lists running 4 x Ponder and 4 x FA.

remember, original solar flare was running 29 technical mana sources.  25 lands in control decks just don't cut it these days.  26 really is the minimum.  this is just gained from a lot of experience.  especailly since this deck isn't doing a lot of "extra" card drawing.  its only card filtering, and you likely don't want to filter for lands, meaning you need a lot in order to actually draw them naturally to curve out correctly, consistently.  hell, i'd maybe even run 27 lands, myself.  i'm running 27 in my UW control deck, and i'm pretty sure its the correct number.  i like playing more lands because i HATE missing land drops.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket