My First 4e D&D Campaign as a DM: Demon's Souls

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello everyone! I just started reading all the posts on here and some are very interesting!  I have planned out the majority of my campaign based on the game Demon's Souls.  Just thought I'd use this as my introductory post. 

Hello everyone! I just started reading all the posts on here and some are very interesting!  I have planned out the majority of my campaign based on the game Demon's Souls.  Just thought I'd use this as my introductory post. 

Oh God, Demon Souls?! Tell your players to have 15-30 back up characters at the ready. :p
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
Never played it, but I did make a campaign based on a game. It's quite fun.

Small note: if they know the game, make sure your players know that it's not the exact same world.
(I have the luck that I'm the one who knows most of the game in my group.)

If you make a mistake (which is probabaly as this is your first campaign, and non of us is faultless), to end discussions, you can use the argument that you changed that in comparison with the game's world, and end any objections like "but then how did X do Y if Z didn't happen" with "your character doesn't know that" or "that's what your character learned - that doesn't mean that it's actually like that".

While it seems cheap, things like "but then how did X do Y if Z didn't happen" is metagaming and usually disruptive (especially if that happens during combat) - and redo's might be bothersome.
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
Hi Aevilesth, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying D&D 4e.  I'm not familiar with Demon Souls, but I hope that you and you're players will have fun.  If you ever need DMing advice there's a whole section of the D&D boards dedicated to DMing.
community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7588....

Oh God, Demon Souls?! Tell your players to have 15-30 back up characters at the ready. :p

Haha normally I would!  But I've come up with a system that doesn't rely on "death" per se, but rather getting penalties for dying.  I've also come up with a Humanity and Sanity attribute that adds a bit of mechanics to the game, depending on certain actions or situations the players end up doing.
Never played it, but I did make a campaign based on a game. It's quite fun.

Small note: if they know the game, make sure your players know that it's not the exact same world.
(I have the luck that I'm the one who knows most of the game in my group.)

If you make a mistake (which is probabaly as this is your first campaign, and non of us is faultless), to end discussions, you can use the argument that you changed that in comparison with the game's world, and end any objections like "but then how did X do Y if Z didn't happen" with "your character doesn't know that" or "that's what your character learned - that doesn't mean that it's actually like that".

While it seems cheap, things like "but then how did X do Y if Z didn't happen" is metagaming and usually disruptive (especially if that happens during combat) - and redo's might be bothersome.

Thanks for your input!  They don't know the game really at all, but it's my turn to DM and they seemed interested in playing one based on Demon's Souls, as I have told them a good deal about the game.  Thanks for the DM tips!  I've simplified each level's maps.  As of now, I have around 22 bosses for them to fight and a few potential allies if they rescue them or use diplomacy on them, including Ostrava, Biorr, Yuria, Maiden in Black (late in the campaign).  Also, Yurt.  They will also be able to hire Yurt out to assassinate certain targets.  Besides the Humanity/Sanity system, I've decided to have Maiden in Black add 1 to 1 of the Players' attributes once either per in-game day or once per session.
Hi Aevilesth, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying D&D 4e.  I'm not familiar with Demon Souls, but I hope that you and you're players will have fun.  If you ever need DMing advice there's a whole section of the D&D boards dedicated to DMing.
community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7588....

Thanks for the welcome and the link!
Just finished the first session!  It went pretty well, too. The Players helped resuce Ostrava, befriended the Red Dragon, met King Allant, and defeated Phalanx! Seems like they had fun!  I can't wait til they meet other NPCs, such as Yurt, and face the other bosses.

Man, a campaign based in Boletaria would be AMAZING.

Off topic (a bit); are you excited for Dark Souls? And, will you tie that world in with your campaign? 
It is not my intent to offend. However, it is also not my concern whether you get offended or not.

Man, a campaign based in Boletaria would be AMAZING.

Off topic (a bit); are you excited for Dark Souls? And, will you tie that world in with your campaign? 

It sure is fun so far!!! I've changed the storyline a bit, but yeah.  And HECK YES i'm excited for Dark Souls! Pre-ordered it and can't wait to play it!  And yes, I might add in elements from it once I start playing, such as the Covenants, etc

So, last night was Session #2, and the Players (3 PCs, 1 Warforged Knight, 1 Human Warrior, and 1 Human Blood Mage[homebrew class]).  Things went fairly well, they took an hour and a half to defeat the Armor Spider, sooooo yeah, might give them some more exp before fighting the next boss (Fool's Idol) haha.  But it went well, overall.
Players fought Fool's Idol last night, after having rescued St. Urbain and having met Yurt and Mephistopheles.  They bluffed a Beholder into leading them to the church of the Fool's Idol and avoided the Mind Flayers roaming the prison halls.  Also, at least 8-10 criticals were rolled altogether, so that was a nice bonus!