Is the word baseball taboo?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I went to put the word "baseball" in the text portion of my username personal setting area.

Client said no!

:x - diam - icon
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
The client spoke?! When did they program that?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Does "baseball" also get filtered out by the chat profanity filter? I know about as much about baseball as the average American knows about cricket, but I've never heard of "baseball" having an offensive, discriminatory or drug-related meaning. Are they simply trying to stamp out discussions that could get into arguments about the teams players support?

If you go searching through the files in the installation area of MTGO on your PC, you will find a text file called censorlist.txt (or something similar), which is an entertaining and educational list of all the words censored by the profanity filter. And it just sits there in all it's filthy plaintext splendour on your computer. You'd think they would at least ROT13 it or something.

It's hilarious to think that someone, somewhere, was actually given a task to sit down and write this file.
I wonder if they're sensoring anything that has the word ball in it because 9 year old boys shouldn't be allowed to giggle,
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
I have decreed that the word 'baseball' (along with the words 'homerun', 'power hitter', and 'batting average')  be banned in MTGO until my beloved Seattle Mariners make the playoffs again.  Until that time (which may be as soon as the year 2048) players will have to use synonyms, code words, or 'leet speak' (which I am clearly not fluent in).

Of course, anyone wearing a command helement is exempted from this rule.   

Chris
I have decreed that the word 'baseball' (along with the words 'homerun', 'power hitter', and 'batting average')  be banned in MTGO until my beloved Seattle Mariners make the playoffs again.  Until that time (which may be as soon as the year 2048) players will have to use synonyms, code words, or 'leet speak' (which I am clearly not fluent in).

Chris

You just broke the format

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Just change all references to "baseball" to "cricket" instead. It is the mother game.
Reading the 'profanity' text file in the game folder mentioned above is some of the best entertainment MTGO has given me.  I highly recommend it.   (and likewise can't believe it is sitting out there in plain text)
The client spoke?! When did they program that?

Hmm...Wonder who it was then.

Chris

L00k 0ut wee hav3 a r3leas3 dat3!!!

Wunder if I sh0uld s3ll 0ff my f0il h3l3m3ntz!

Just change all references to "baseball" to "cricket" instead. It is the mother game.

Drake didn't say "When life gives you razorblades you make a cricket bat covered in razorblades"
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
I did some experimenting, and found that when you set your own player comment (on the settings screen) to anything that contains "ball" as a substring, then the setting is not applied when you close the screen.

Furthermore, the word "ball" is not censored by the profanity filter. It seems that the player comment setting is governed by an additional/separate mechanism, or theres some weird bug. (The normal profanity filtering doesn't have the property of checking every substring of text, it just matches against whole words)

"mother" as in "you dirty"?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.

Chris

Well its differently not going to be this year that they make it. Smile

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Sign In to post comments