5CC

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I really have no place in asking this since highly competitive modern play isn't really my thing.

But in looking at my card collection I've got like 99% of whats useful in a 5CC deck from the Lorwyn / Shards era.

Does this have any place in Modern? Especially with the recent bannings.

Some sort of

Thoughtsieze
Inquizition of Kozilek
Cryptic Command
Mana Leak
Day of Judgement
Wall of Omens
Lightning Bolts

Finish with a Cruel or a Broodmate

Throw in a Jace 1.0 or a Lilliana of the Veil?

Anyways, please don't troll me. I'm not new to the game, but I really have no idea what to expect from Modern. I'm just looking for some sort of option to roll within my collection of cards.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
It could have a place if you build accordingly. The target is currently zoo with the recent bannings. I think it might be stronger as a dedicated Esper or a dedicated Grixis deck. Broodmate Dragon does get outclassed by Titans [Grave, usually] nowadays, so you don't really need the Jund colour setup for it. Its obviously going to be weaker without Jace 2.0.

I'm sure its going to be playstyle and format dependant. Esper will be better for reactive people, Grixis will be better for those who prefer tapout.

I'm a Grixis man myself :P
Photobucket
Thanks a lot for the reasonable response! I expected to just get a lot of "no".

edit: I realize this probably has more to do with "deck help".  If a Moderator can move this thread over it would be appreciated! Thanks.

Taking your advice. What about something like the following. (I also prefer Grixis)

4 x Thoughtseize
3 x inquisition of Kozilek
2 x Damnation
2 x Cruel Ultimatum

4 x Cryptic Command
4 x Lightning Bolt
3 x Mana Leak
1 x Volcanic Fallout
2 x Terror

2 x Jace Beleren
1 x Lilliana of the Veil

2 x Mulldrifter
3 x Plumeveil
1 x Grave Titan

So again I'll just finish this by saying I wouldn't mind having a decent Modern Deck for my collection. And in this above list of cards I'd only need to get a couple extra Thoughtsiezes to finish this deck up. I even have most of the land base to make this work. Would something like this work in a general modern sense?  Obviously I'm not looking to go on the pro tour. But I still want to play competitively.

What kind of cards in a Grixis Colour Scheme would fit in a sideboard if this is the kind of deck I'm looking to build.

Thanks again!
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
What I'd do-
-1 Inquisition of Kozilek [6 is enough for t1 discard i believe]
-2 Jace Beleren [Really, only good in the control matchup]
-1 Liliana of the Veil [You can't abuse it as well as you might think you could]
-1 Volcanic Fallout [Faeries isn't a big deal with Bitterblossom out of the question]
-3 Mana Leak [Rune Snag is probably a better deal as a control deck]
-3 Plumeveil [Trip Blue might hurt at turn 3]
-2 Terror [Outclassed nowadays]

+2 Mulldrifter [Relevance early as a Divination, Relevance late as a flying threat against Control, Relevance against aggressive decks as a desperation blocker]
+4 Compulsive Research [I think research would be better here due to the essentially tap-out nature of the deck]
+1 Damnation [Probably more relevant. I think the 3 Damnation might be too slow, but Slagstorm will probably be in the sideboard anyway]
+2 Grave Titan [You really need 2 more to run into them consistently]
+4 Rune Snag [The thing thats is probably most arguable]

Try that.

The sideboard should probably be something like:
3 Slagstorm
3 Jace Beleren
2 Dismember
X
X

If you can squeeze in a Green source [Breeding Pool, probably], run Firespout instead of Slagstorm, and get Ancient Grudge in your sideboard.
Photobucket
Thanks a lot for the reasonable response! I expected to just get a lot of "no".

edit: I realize this probably has more to do with "deck help".  If a Moderator can move this thread over it would be appreciated! Thanks.

Taking your advice. What about something like the following. (I also prefer Grixis)

4 x Thoughtseize
3 x inquisition of Kozilek
2 x Damnation
2 x Cruel Ultimatum

4 x Cryptic Command
4 x Lightning Bolt
3 x Mana Leak
1 x Volcanic Fallout
2 x Terror

2 x Jace Beleren
1 x Lilliana of the Veil

2 x Mulldrifter
3 x Plumeveil
1 x Grave Titan

So again I'll just finish this by saying I wouldn't mind having a decent Modern Deck for my collection. And in this above list of cards I'd only need to get a couple extra Thoughtsiezes to finish this deck up. I even have most of the land base to make this work. Would something like this work in a general modern sense?  Obviously I'm not looking to go on the pro tour. But I still want to play competitively.

What kind of cards in a Grixis Colour Scheme would fit in a sideboard if this is the kind of deck I'm looking to build.

Thanks again!

It's not a terrible deck, and you could win a few games at a low level tournament with it for sure.  You will not Top-8 with it without some bad luck for your opponent.  It is hard to draw enough answers in a control deck as fast as an aggro deck does threats.  I have tested a few with varrying levels of success.
So I got my Thoughtsiezes. I decided to come back to a Modern deck. Especially with the release of INN

Curious if a list like this could work (obviously I'm going to try it no matter what, but feedback to help tighten it up would be appreciated).

The mana base I'm still working on. Turn 1 black is the most important I think.

I'll be including at least 4 Watery Graves and at least a couple Blood Crypts.

The only thing to me that really stands out here is the Cryptic Command. Is the card too slow? It does so much though.

I'm also thinking of using Think Twice over mulldrifters.
I think you're running way too many Turn 1 discard spells. Perhaps cut it down to 2 Inquisition, 4 Thoughtseize. In addition, I'd probably remove dissipate. That leaves you with 4 slots, that could be a couple of fallouts.
Photobucket
I think you're running way too many Turn 1 discard spells. Perhaps cut it down to 2 Inquisition, 4 Thoughtseize. In addition, I'd probably remove dissipate. That leaves you with 4 slots, that could be a couple of fallouts.

Thanks!

How about -2 IoK and -2 Dissipate.

+2 Fallout
+2 Forbidden Alchemy

Hi, I've been working on a five color control deck myself. But it looks quite different than the one you seem to be suggesting. Mine is based on isochron scepter. It works really well against aggro decks. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Artifacts (4)
4 Isochron Scepter

Creatures (12)
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Snapcaster Mage

Instants (22)
4 Lightning Helix
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Punishing Fire
4 Remand
3 Path to Exile
3 Terminate

Lands (22)
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
4 Arid Mesa
2 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Godless Shrine
2 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Watery Grave
2 City of Brass
Your manabase is very worrying. 5 Colour Control decks in standard used the interaction of "vivid" lands and Reflecting Pool for colour-fixing. Some Ravnica duals and fetches may not be out of place in a Modern build, but Reflecting Pool is an absolute must, and some "vivid" lands should definitely be included.

Also, before anyone asks: Yes, Reflecting Pool does always produce mana of any colour, even your "vivid" land has no counters.
Hi, I've been working on a five color control deck myself. But it looks quite different than the one you seem to be suggesting. Mine is based on isochron scepter. It works really well against aggro decks. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Artifacts (4)
4 Isochron Scepter

Creatures (12)
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Snapcaster Mage

Instants (22)
4 Lightning Helix
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Punishing Fire
4 Remand
3 Path to Exile
3 Terminate

Lands (22)
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
4 Arid Mesa
2 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Godless Shrine
2 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Watery Grave
2 City of Brass

I'm affraid that Modern is probably too far out of my league at this point to comment on that kind of deck. Though with all the instants it looks pretty good. While I'm willing to spend money on my deck. 400 Dollars for 4 cards + 200 dollars for another 4 cards is just a little out of my budget! My idea behind using Thoughtseize is to attack people running Goyfs, and bobs!

Also great point about the mana base buddy2.

My deck is almost set from the list above (for now) and now I'm working on the mana base.  Also since I feel landing that turn 1 black is so important for my list I've stacked up on the Rav duals for black. I'm still tweaking the numbers on the deck. I feel that 23-24 lands will be required (due to the Cryptics and the Cruels).

4 Watery Grave
4 Blood Crypt
4 Reflecting Pool
2 Vivid Marsh
2 Vivid Creek
1 Vivid Crag
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Steam Vents
1 Graven Cairns
1 Sunken Ruins

And for reference here is the deck I'm going to start playing with and build from. I'm considering the Mana Leaks as temporary. I think Remand is probably a decent choice as well, or Rune Snag.

Could use some help on the mana base and any additional thoughts if anyone looks at the list! (my goal is casual competitive)
I have watched a few game of 5cc on MTGO, and it is an impressive deck.  It would be gawd awefull expensive to build, and definately needs to be tuned the the meta, but having so many answers to threats is really powerful if played right.