Where can zones be placed?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello again, all. A question came up during a game that I cannot find the answer to. It seems like I remember reading about this somewhere, but now I can't find it.
Anyway, a party is standing on a bridge that is 10 feet above the surface of lava. The mage PC wants to cast Visions of Avarice over the lava so that it pulls enemies caught in the zone off the bridge to their doom. Can he place the origin square of the zone that is created on the same horizontal plane as the bridge, but off of it? I know that forced movement can cause enemies to fall off of bridges, cliffs, etc, but I can't find any rules regarding where a zone can be placed other than line of sight and line of effect, neither of which are hindered in this case. I am fairly certain that a zone's forced movement effects cannot defy gravity, i.e. cause a creature to be pulled x squares straight up only to fall and take damage, but zone itself isn't affected by gravity, is it? Thanks in advance for help! =)
Sure however since being pulled off the bride in order to fall is challenging terrain the enemies would get pulled toward the edge of the bridge and get a saving throw to not fall off.  If they succeed they instead fall prone at the edge of the bridge, of they fail they fall off.
I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder if a creature hanging from a bridge would be considered "Helpless" and thus subject to a Coup de Gras?
A creature that is climbing grants CA and if hit must make an althetics check as outlined in the RC.
Sweet, thanks!
I was thinking along the same lines. I wonder if a creature hanging from a bridge would be considered "Helpless" and thus subject to a Coup de Gras?

Just for clarification, the creature never actually falls off the bridge; he stops in the last square on the bridge and falls prone if he made the save.