09/27/2011 LI: "Innistrad Limited: First Impressions"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

My sealed pool on Saturday was merely ok.  A lot of great cards that are good separately, but nothing really came together.  I had a Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, but not a lot of strong black cards to support it.  I ended up going and went 2:3.  Not bad, not great.

Draft on Sunday, however, was  quite a different matter.  First pack was Endless Ranks of the Dead so I immediately started aiming for zombies.  This was a fortunate decision, because the third pack had Army of the Damned.  I managed to get two Abbattoir Ghouls, two Ghoulraisers and a few others.  Also, making use of the combination of Mordruk Banshee, Altar's Reap and Unburial Rites was devastating to my opponent, who had just started wrecking me with an Elite Inquisitor

Avacynian Priest persuaded me to go white, while things like Elder Cathar, Chapel Giest and Smite the Monstrous encouaged me to stay.  I initially excluded Army of the Damned because it seemed to expensive, but after recalling my lack of a late-game finisher the day before, I added it.  And holy crap did it feel good to cast it.  The last match of the day became a fight for 2nd place with myself and another player who'd drafted the same colors.  It was stalemate city until a swarm of zombies hit the table.

Overall, I'd say that Innistrad will provide one of the most interesting and fun  draft environments I've seen in a few years.  I know I had a blast with these cards.  My only gripe is that some players suffered from werewolf confusion, not realizing that the game looks for the transform conditions on every turn, not just the controller's turn.  Other than that, awesome set and and awesome weekend.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

What decks am I looking to draft or what decks are good?

I really, really want to draft a mill deck! This is probably a crazy plan, but there's clearly some support for it even if it turns out to be terrible. Can't... resist... silly... archetype! Cool
I'd quite like to draft a white-green Human swarm deck. My Sealed at the prerelease had Gavony Township, but I played red-green, sometimes sideboarding into red-white, but never green-white, so I didn't get to use it. I didn't have the good Human swarm cards apart from a random copy of the Hamlet Captain, but I'd like to put together a draft deck with Champion of the Parish, Elder Cathar (modular ahoy!), Rally the Peasants, Unruly Mob, Village Bell-Ringer, Hamlet Captain, a bunch of equipment, and maybe Elder of Laurels or Mikaeus the Lunarch

I really, really want to draft a mill deck! This is probably a crazy plan, but there's clearly some support for it even if it turns out to be terrible. Can't... resist... silly... archetype!

This past Saturday was my store's last M12 draft, and one guy drafted mono-blue mill, and didn't do too bad.  I won the match 2:1, but he managed to mill me on that loss.  At one point, he had two Jace's Erasures and Mind Unbound.  It was almost silly.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Well, that was short. I had really hoped for a bit more insight here, and a longer coloumn.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

I really, really want to draft a mill deck! This is probably a crazy plan, but there's clearly some support for it even if it turns out to be terrible. Can't... resist... silly... archetype!

Go for it. I won three rounds out of four with a UB milling deck in a Sealed event on Sunday. I only actually won by milling my opponent in one game, but there was another game in which the other guy conceded under an onslaught led by Undead Alchemist (so, it would have milled him if he had been willing to wait), and several in which Trepanation Blade turned milling into damage and mana screw. It's viable in this block.
I agree that milling can be very viable - especially if your opponents are milling themselves at all. I managed to open Deranged Assistant, Armored Skaab, Think Twice, Forbidden Alchemy, Mindshrieker and(!) Skaab Ruinator so I ended up focusing on milling myself, but I did have an opponent worried in one game where I just kept using the Mindshrieker on him at the end of his turn.

However, I eventually drew both my Brimstone Volleys, so I just attacked with everything and burned him out. :p
There's a few things I'd like to draft, mainly W/B flyers and W/G humans.  But for this first draft, I might try to see how many Curse of the Bloody Tomes I can get.