Gauntlets for states

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
The following is a tier list based on forum consensus, and should probably be in your gauntlets in order to get ready for states.

Tier 1

RDW: Has been cleaning house on magic league.

U/B Control and U/W Control: Draw go, blade, and tapout variants. Look for Snapcaster Mage, Geist of St. Traft, Invisible Stalker, and the best walkers to keep these two archetypes alive.

Bant Pod: This is the go to Pod list, if only for the "stability" of its mana base in the face of losing fetchlands+Cobras. Randomly mising games against opposing pod players with Stonehorn Dignitary+Venser is also sweet.

Esper Control (Aka: Solar Flare): An old archetype revived by the power of Liliana of the Veil, Forbidden Alchemy, and Unburial Rites. Looks to survive the early game then crush you with a fattie. Sometimes that fattie comes back...

Tier 1.5

Tempered Steel: While it loses Ornithopter and Steel Overseer, it's still one of the fastest decks around. Cards like Ancient Grudge will be giving you problems though

Puresteel Paladin: The printing of Mentor of the Meek means that they now effectively have 8 Puresteel-esque effects in their deck. Capable of very fast swords out of nowhere. Watch for Invisible Stalkers and Geist of St. Trafts.

BUG Pod/RUG Pod: The loss of the Fetchlands, Preordain, and Lotus Cobra severely hinders the consistency of these decks. Still decks to be aware of. Losing Obstinate Baloth also hurts.

Tier 2

MBC: ~sigh~. It has all the tools necessary to be a decent deck, the problem is that it has almost no actual game against a resolved planeswalker and all your sweet dudes (Obliterator and Bloodgift Demon) die to Dismember.

Dungrove.dec: Don't let the haters hate, Dungrove Elder is actually a deceptively powerful cards. It has powerful threats all along the curve (Mayor/Skinshifter into Dungrove into Thrun/Garruk into Garruk) and alot of your dudes are capable of wielding swords like a boss. I think the proper Dungrove deck is U/G for counterspells and Snapcaster mage.

Turn 4 Titan: The obligatory "Ramp to huge dudes" R/G deck. We actually have a decent land for Primeval Titan to fetch in Kessig Wolf Run and Inferno Titan is always a massive threat.
Human Tribal
Turn 4 Titan 
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
RDW, Tempered Steel, UW Puresteel.

UW, UBW, UB, birthing Pod.
Indigo summed it up pretty well, barring RUG Beats. Bramblecrush and chandra aren't going to be flying under the radar very long.

Photobucket
Esper Reanimator is going to be NUTS. Pod, obviously. Dumb aggro aside from that.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

UB mill (i'm damn serious about this)

i've got a friend on the pro tour who thinks this is a real deck where he uses the UB milling land to self mill while playing a strong draw-go game with jace and liliana and snap mage all topped off with visions of beyond played for value and then just milling out the opponent.  i played against the deck yesterday, he was crushing my reanimator list, UW swords, etc.  obvious weakness of steel, but BSZ helps a lot.

by the way, i'm now playing paper magic again, helluva good weekend.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Everything Indigo said, plus Big Red. It beats or matches all of those decks consistently in testing.

I think Draft is the best format in Magic.

I strive to be critical, rational and openminded.

I get the feeling that besides Tempered Steel and Birthing Pod lists, the format isn't going to be as predictable as we expect it to be.  Calling it now.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I get the feeling that besides Tempered Steel and Birthing Pod lists, the format isn't going to be as predictable as we expect it to be.  Calling it now.

This.
Come find me on League of Legends, still under FruFruLOL IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGFrufrucopy.png)
White Weenies, BUG pod, Bant pod, Tempered Steel, RDW, and maybe a Blue-artifact control
Razorgore, what do you envision for RUG beats?
Hey Guys.
So Turn 2 Geist of St Traft is the real deal.
Swinging for 12 on turn three with Mirran Crusader is also stupidly good.

I might just be playing Angelic Destiny at states...
I forgot to mention this at first, but I think it's very relevant: Strongly consider running 4 Ancient Grudge in the SB of every deck you can.

On a quasi-related note, I like Buried Ruin in B-Pod decks, and Steel is actually dead (like I said before). 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

I forgot to mention this at first, but I think it's very relevant: Strongly consider running 4 Ancient Grudge in the SB of every deck you can.

On a quasi-related note, I like Buried Ruin in B-Pod decks, and Steel is actually dead (like I said before). 

i wish didn't have to agree with grudge... but after thinking about it for a moment, i think i agree.  maybe not a full set, but at least 3 seems important.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

I should note that Flores' gauntlet technique is good. In an open metagame, you don't test everything.

You pick the one or two most representative decks from Aggro and Control, plus any relevant combo. If you can beat the best of each arm, you can usually beat the rest.
Razorgore, what do you envision for RUG beats?

Chandra
Skinshifter
Bramblecrush
Beast Within
Snapcaster
Forbidden Alchemy
Volt Charge
Dismember
Inferno Titan
Rampant Growth

SB is pretty rough right now, with only ancient grudge and some naturalizes locked in for sure. Likely some slagstorms, as well as a couple garruks (not decided which version yet).

The fact that manlands don't exist anymore is making DoJ and other sweepers extremely powerful, in addition to the fact that none of the aggro decks are capable of a very fast clock.

Photobucket

i wish didn't have to agree with grudge... but after thinking about it for a moment, i think i agree.  maybe not a full set, but at least 3 seems important.

In aggressive decks, 2 Grudges and some number of Manic Vandals might be better.
Stop using "IMO" in sentences that aren't opinion. If you don't think a deck will ever be tier 1, that's great - but it's not an opinion. It's a prediction of the future. I identify as neither male nor female. You may refer to me with either gender pronoun or the singular they, whichever suits you best. ^_^ Re: Dismember
97543238 wrote:
Everybody knows that having your awesome creatures killed before they can do anything is frustrating, but the Red mage in me doesn't seem to understand why it's so bad when his creatures spontaneously combust into Flame Javelins and make his opponent discard something at the same time.
Currently Working On: Self-Mill (Standard)
can't discount CA and instant speed

Photobucket

This. Though I would MD a Manic Vandal in every Pod deck with Red.

Possibly an Oxidda Scrapmelter + Sylvok Replica instead of Vandal, IMO.

I have this thing about hitting it a turn earlier.

A) Vandal is a 2-for-1 as well (you get a 2/2 body and destroy something).

B) I didn't say you wouldn't want any grudges, just that when you're playing aggro in the matchup you probably want Vandals (against steel, pretty much ever deck would rather have Grudge, but against, say, Pod or Tezz [people will try it even if it ends up being bad] Vandal might be better).

C) Card advantage isn't everything. If I'm playing an aggro deck and I ever have to spend a turn where I grudge and don't have enough mana for anything else, that will be the worst turn of the entire game 99% of the time. Why? I did nothing but answer. This is the absolute worst, most horrible thing an aggro deck can spend a turn doing. It is such a huge tempo swing for the control deck (control in the matchup, whether it was not designed to be a control deck per se) that it can often times win the game off of that swing. Vandal is so much better because it answers while advancing your board position.
Stop using "IMO" in sentences that aren't opinion. If you don't think a deck will ever be tier 1, that's great - but it's not an opinion. It's a prediction of the future. I identify as neither male nor female. You may refer to me with either gender pronoun or the singular they, whichever suits you best. ^_^ Re: Dismember
97543238 wrote:
Everybody knows that having your awesome creatures killed before they can do anything is frustrating, but the Red mage in me doesn't seem to understand why it's so bad when his creatures spontaneously combust into Flame Javelins and make his opponent discard something at the same time.
Currently Working On: Self-Mill (Standard)
hey, we should have the OP keep a running list of what seem like the best decks to be prepared for or at least have on your radar for states.  i'd like to see it incorporate some of these good deck ideas that have been thrown out there in order to know what ideas are hot currently.  ya know, just have it set up for people to click on this thread and open to that first post and see a nice comprehensive list, maybe split into the pseudo-future tier 1 lists and maybe the future tier 2 possible lists.  anyone else think this should become a thing?

calvin, you should get on this idea, brah!

that... and it gets the thread back on track.

Photobucket

I have this thing about hitting it a turn earlier.

In Pod, the time delay is minimal, and having a diversified set of numbers to find your artifact hate is an advantage.
hey, we should have the OP keep a running list of what seem like the best decks to be prepared for or at least have on your radar for states.  i'd like to see it incorporate some of these good deck ideas that have been thrown out there in order to know what ideas are hot currently.  ya know, just have it set up for people to click on this thread and open to that first post and see a nice comprehensive list, maybe split into the pseudo-future tier 1 lists and maybe the future tier 2 possible lists.  anyone else think this should become a thing?

calvin, you should get on this idea, brah!

that... and it gets the thread back on track.

I'm perfectly capable of doing this. I'd just like a solid starting point to go off of.

Tier 1:
RDW (this has been dominating some of the online trial sites)
Tempered Steel (afforded precedence based on track record in block)
Bant Pod (Is this the consensus best Pod variant?)
U/W control
U/B Control

seems fair?

Seems okay. Should make a distinction between UW Control and the gamut of Swords+Invisible Stalker decks, and you should probably add UWB "Solar Flare" Control, since it's one of the Top 3 played decks online.
Can someone post a RDW list? I just don't see why RDW is even being touted as a viable deck right now, but it's possible that everyone I'm playing against is just running crap lists.

Photobucket
I don't see RDW right now, either. Especially with every Pod deck being capable of running Tree...

Also, I think I have the Tezz-Pod list worked out. You get to run Forgemaster combo in it basically for free; that seems good to me.

Tezz infect is stronger, IMO. Better SB options like phy crusader and torpor orb, unless your forgemaster target doesn't include battlesphere.

Photobucket
Can someone post a RDW list? I just don't see why RDW is even being touted as a viable deck right now, but it's possible that everyone I'm playing against is just running crap lists.

I'm like 14-1 with this:

// Lands
    14 [IN] Mountain (4)
    4 [M11] Rootbound Crag
    4 [SOM] Copperline Gorge

// Creatures
    4 [INN] Stromkirk Noble
    2 [M12] Grim Lavamancer
    4 [INN] Reckless Waif
    4 [M12] Stormblood Berserker
    1 [INN] Falkenrath Marauders
    3 [MBS] Hero of Oxid Ridge
    4 [INN] Ashmouth Hound

// Spells
    4 [SOM] Galvanic Blast
    4 [NPH] Shrine of Burning Rage
    4 [MPR] Incinerate
    4 [NPH] Volt Charge

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOM] Koth of the Hammer
SB: 3 [NPH] Vulshok Refugee
SB: 2 [5E] Manabarbs
SB: 4 [SOM] Arc Trail
SB: 4 [INN] Ancient Grudge 

Only major change I could see doing is -3 or 4 Ashmouth Hound, +3 or 4 Chandra's Phoenix. I also want to cut Manabarbs, because it only wins me games against Control/Pod when I'm already ahead. I just don't know what I want to drop it for. 

The reason this deck works is basically the one-drops. Stromkirk Noble and Reckless Waif punish Control decks really hard. Turn 1 Waif on the play often does 9 damage by Turn 4, and Turn 1 Stromkirk Noble unanswered is a huge beating much like it's ancestor was.

Other aggro decks at the moment tend to be either Human based, making Noble eat them alive, or Tempered Steel, which is favourable after board when Arc Trail and Ancient Grudge come in.

Worst matchup is probably Pod, and even then it depends on the starts you each get. 
OP Updated.
Sign In to post comments