How do i teach a new group

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
i got kicked from my old group because i like 3.5 better, Not that i dont like 4.0 but i prefer 3.5.
I started a new group but i need to teach them all. I'm always the DM. What should i do
Improve your attitude.

It's an odd reason to get kicked from a group because you liked 3.5 better, so there has to be something other than that that caused you to get kicked from the group. A couple of examples:

- You were constantly complaining about 4e's rules compared to 3.5
- You were an annoying player.
- Your playstyle didn't fit the group.
- You were constantly trying to get the group back to 3.5
- You were a problem player.

Ask your previous DM for some more explanation on why you got kicked out of the group, because one doesn't get kicked from a group because one likes another ruleset better. 
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign
no its because i started played with 3.5 and the ppl in my group started at 4. There was som1 else who got kicked from my group. My old group just doesnt like 3.5
Ofcourse, you can't use 3.5 and 4e together... -_- 
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign
Doesn't sound likely to me, either.

Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounds like you don't always want to be DM?  Perhaps you are burned out - you might have let one of the players who prefers 4th Edition take over as DM and run a 4th Edition campaign.  Most of us who've role-played for any length of time have tried new systems out (I've played dozens of different systems, and some of these other folks have seen far more than that!)  Sometimes you like the new system better, sometimes not, but it's usually a good learning experience to try something new anyway, and a new system has almost always got a new idea or two to pick up.  If that is your first time switching systems, you should give it a try: you might find that you like it better than you think you would, or you might at least pick up a couple new tricks from a new DM and a new system that you can take back to 3.5E.

You could also advertise for a new 3.5E game if you really refuse to adapt to your group, or can't afford to adopt a new system.  I'm sure your Friendly Local Gaming Store will let you put up a flyer, and there are a few people out there who like 3.5E and may be interested in joining your group, or opening their group up to you.

In any case, I really find it hard to believe that a group kicks their DM and another player out because they aren't playing 4th Edition - that sounds a bit weird to me.  I certainly wouldn't kick someone out of my 3rd Edition group because they prefer to run a 1st, 2nd, or 4th Edition game, and I can't really picture a scenario where I can picture it happening.  There's got to be more to your story than that!
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
i got kicked from my old group because i like 3.5 better, Not that i dont like 4.0 but i prefer 3.5.

You had no problem playing 4.0 but because the group found out that you actually like 3.5 better they kicked you out?  There HAS to be more to that story, but...
I started a new group but i need to teach them all. I'm always the DM. What should i do

If you're the DM then you have control over how often and for how long the group meets to play your game.  If you only want to do that once a month then so be it.  The DM has as much right to enjoy the game as the players.  If you're not going to enjoy running the game then DON'T.  Running a game that you don't want to run does a disservice to your players.  As for teaching them the game the best approach I know of is to just have them play the game.  The game will proceed very slowly because they won't know or won't remember a lot of the rules.  Keep the game as simple as possible.  Avoid putting the PC's into situations that will require complicated parts of the rules to be applied.  Let rules mistakes slide and keep the game moving.  Let them know that the rules work differently and that you will explain how/why later, but for the moment during the game don't be picky about the rules.

Talk with the players as soon as possible after every game, preferrably before they even leave.  Ask them what they enjoyed, what they didn't enjoy.  What rules confused them, what things about their characters that they had fun with or what part of the adventure they found interesting.  Use that information in the next session covering in greater detail the rules that are confusing, giving them a little more of what they liked, a little less of what they didn't.  The rest will generally sort itself out.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

Sign In to post comments