Frostcheese...............

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I keep seeing people mention it in threads, but don't know what they are talkingabout, can someone give me a link to read up on it please?

Thanks!!!!!
Seriously? In before Learn to CO.

Wintertouched + Lasting Frost + Frost Weapon.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Frostcheese is when you take any way of using cold damage at will (typically a Frost weapon) and combine with the Lasting Frost and Wintertouched feats for a constant combat advantage and +5 damage.

Radiantcheese is when you do the same thing with radiant damage and the Morninglord paragon path to achieve radiant vulnerability.

That said, enough independence to find these things out on one's own is typically prized on boards like this, along with the self-restraint to keep to just one exclamation point.  Welcome to the boards, but you'll likely get more help and more respect if you can A) search around a bit and find the answer to a really obvious question on your own, or B) post in the right thread - for example, the "Ask a simple question" thread in this case.

Again, welcome.
Thanks for the info

I won't be asking anything else, as it seems this part of the forum isn't a good place to ask anything, even though I couldn't find the info when I searched.
Thanks for the info

I won't be asking anything else, as it seems this part of the forum isn't a good place to ask anything, even though I couldn't find the info when I searched.

Hate to be the Devil's Advocate, but if you were looking in the class Handbooks (where I assume you heard it from), you would have seen Lasting Frost and Wintertouched mentioned multiple times as a combo, and oftentimes labeled as "the Frostcheese combo/method".

[EDIT] You also would hve seen it in the glossary linked in the "Guide to Char Op" sticky thread above...
Any of the three sticky threads would have served, really.  Ask a Simple Q/Get a Simple A is the correct place for this kind of inquiry.  The Complete Collection of Build Links offers several avenues to an explanation, notably the Glossary or the Modularity Handbook (guide to CO tricks).  And as noted, the Beginner's Primer links to the Glossary.

In fairness though, doing a standard search on Frostcheese doesn't turn up very much of help

t~

In fairness though, doing a standard search on Frostcheese doesn't turn up very much of help

t~

That is what I did and it didn't give up the info I was looking for, hence why I asked, my bad for not knowing everywhere to look. Normally a search will turn up what ya need, but this is Wizards and when does normal mean anything to them?

The forum search is basically useless.

Also, don't let the protocol paranoia get you down.  Question asked, question answered.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Also, don't let the protocol paranoia get you down.  Question asked, question answered.

Ty Mand12

While not helpful to new people who don't know how useless the forum search is, googling a question and adding the operator site:wizards.com is the best way to find answers to commonly asked questions.

In this case, a search of frostcheese site:wizards.com leads you to the Frostcheese Wiki as the first result.
this place is usually too snooty to give stright up answers without some greif google is normally your best friend. usually somthing like "[insert game term] 4e" will pull up resaults 
Not everyone is computer savy. But, the OP's question has been answered. Let's move on.
I keep seeing people mention it in threads, but don't know what they are talkingabout, can someone give me a link to read up on it please?

Thanks!!!!!

You will also see the term Permafrost which is exactly the same as Frostcheese however some people do not like the term cheese when referring to a popular set of character options so they came up with their own term for it.
I won't be asking anything else, as it seems this part of the forum isn't a good place to ask anything,

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, stickied at the top of the CO board, would tend to disagree. When I can't think/remember/find something I usually post there and while I'm waiting for an answer check the newer posts to see if theres anything I can answer. It's a pretty nice system.
Also, don't let the protocol paranoia get you down.

Yeah, why do people have to get so crochety when someone asks a question round here? Even if it in their view a dumb one? These forums are pretty slow, as far as forums go. It's not like all the contentful threads are at risk of being swept away by a flood of silly questions or anything. We should be encouraging people to participate, not scaring them away with snootiness.
Also, don't let the protocol paranoia get you down.

Yeah, why do people have to get so crochety when someone asks a question round here? Even if it in their view a dumb one? These forums are pretty slow, as far as forums go. It's not like all the contentful threads are at risk of being swept away by a flood of silly questions or anything. We should be encouraging people to participate, not scaring them away with snootiness.

When I was in the US Army many years ago a Drill Sergeant told me one thing.

"The only dumb question private, is the one you don't ask"

Because we have a sticky for questions like this and they don't really deserve a thread. Further various other stickies at the top of this forum have a variety of links, many of which lead to threads which are a literal glossary of terms like this. When someone comes into a forum and does not check the stickies they are displaying poor forum etiquette (and that just applies in general to all forums).

People who are aware of the sticky post questions there. People who are not aware of the sticky didn't notice it. Now I am going to make a broad generalization: People who have a simple question and didn't post in a thread at the top of the forum that says it answers simple questions didn't look very hard at the forum. One might, reasonably, extend this to the conclusion that they also did not look very hard for an answer. People in general are more willing to be helpful when they feel some effort has been invested prior to asking other people for help, because no matter how politely this is done there is an inherent rudeness at work; you are claiming that your time not looking (again, sticky, you could at least ask the question in the right place) is worth more then the time of whoever might answer your question.

Most people do not put it in those terms, but that is the principal of etiquette at work.
Ah yes generalizations abound don't they? Actually rudeness is what I have 'perceived' from some others in this thread, I asked a simple question to which I was unable to find my answer. The perception I am getting is that people have a problem with the wrong thread, my bad, can we just drop it and go on ffs?

I am no longer asking any questions on any of these forums, as the attitudes aren't worth my time.

You can say I have one, and I agree, this thread gave me one.

And I know I remember why in 9 years I rarely post anything on the forums.
Well, you've done it again Char-oppers. Your bureaucratic-style coldness has shunned away another newbie.
Well, you've done it again Char-oppers. Your bureaucratic-style coldness has shunned away another newbie.

Bureaucratic-style coldness?  Only one person posting here may have come off as brash in my eyes - the rest of us told him the information existed elsewhere in a readily available space (the stickies).  Telling him this should not discourage him from posting here.

The thing abuot Frostcheese is that it's a strategy that's existed pretty much ever since PHB1 came out.  The boards have had 3 years or so since to divulge that information across so many of the class handbooks, the stickied threads, the CharOp guide... while the guy wasn't wrong to ask about it, the search function *is* shoddy, and will require more effort on the inquirer's part to find his information.  Only when he's confident his informatino cannot be found elsewhere should he have come here to ask about it.

People in general are more willing to be helpful when they feel some effort has been invested prior to asking other people for help, because no matter how politely this is done there is an inherent rudeness at work; you are claiming that your time not looking (again, sticky, you could at least ask the question in the right place) is worth more then the time of whoever might answer your question.

Nice try, but this is bull. Obviously, this thread shows that either more people don't mind answering even when the OP didn't seem to have searched enough for you, or that more people simply didn't take it to this ridiculously petty and paranoid level.

Only when he's confident his informatino cannot be found elsewhere should he have come here to ask about it.

And how do we determine if he's justifiably confident in his efforts? Do we quiz him? Is he supposed to jot down in his OP everything he did prior to finally breaking down and posting his question?

Since ettiquette was mentioned, here's how anyone should go about this in the future: answer the question if you know it, and provide a link to the information and/or a more appropriate thread/forum if necessary. Feel free to explain what the Ask a Simple Question thread is about, or the stickies at the top of the Forum. But this doesn't require being an ass.

Someone coming here asking a question doesn't need to be lectured about his 'independence' or told that generally, if he didn't find the sticky then he's probably lazy.
Welcome to Charop- where elitist nerds prey on the underinformed!
I asked a simple question

Irony abounds....

@Khan: As demonstrated by the numerous replies indicating the opposite? Which thread are you reading? Selectively reading, obviously. The first four replies demonstrate the exact principal to which I am refering. The people who answered demonstrated it.
Why all the offended responses? We answered his question pretty quickly. Just ignore the people who are being butts, take the information, and have a nice day :D
My Works
My House Rules Cryptic Commander: a Tiefling Wizard|Warlord - Arcane Wayfarer - Planeshaper that focuses on controlling every creature in an encounter. Feyknight: A Half-Elf Knight - Gladiator Champion - Marshall of Letherna build that uses Eldritch Strike and the White Lotus Riposte feats to create a decent catch-22 with his mark aura. Novamancer: a Wizard/Swordmage - Malec-Keth Janissary - Radiant One that specializes in area damage, somewhat item dependent but is capable of massive damage. the Epic Crit-Fisher: Avenger/Ranger-PMC-Eternal Seeker with a 2,560 damage crit-fishing nova. Eldritch Slayer: A Slayer - Kulkor - Destined Scion that uses a similar trick to the Knight, combined with Kulkor for some decent DPR. Polearm Seeker|Fighter: A Seeker|Fighter/Psion - Kensei - Destined Scion build that uses Polearm Momentum to not be super bad. Generic Runepriest: A generic type Runepriest/Fighter - Hammer of Vengeance - Destined Scion
One does not
111819409 wrote:
99856009 wrote:
by RAW, you can't horse into the forge of the dawn titan.

...Couldn't resist.

Sign In to post comments