resist ongoing dmg

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
hey all,
just wona ask about dmg resistance of an enemy.  just fought a 14lvl evil demon thing that had the "15 resistance 2/encounter". so DM choose physical dmg and radiant dmg(damn him, we had no caster). anyway, when you restist 15 physical dmg, how does this realy works? its from all sources? its -15 dmg per attack that hits you? its 15 dmg resist pert round?..

i have a tiny rogue that tryied to use bloodbath power on that evil demon. my sneak attack was 9 dmg. so those 9 dmg are going to be 9 ongoing dmg! will that be resisted every time by his 15 physical resist, until save ends? doesnt speciafy the type of bloodbath ongoing dmg but im guessing its bleeding, so physical. if that demon can resist my 9 ongoing every time, he doesnt realy care roll a save ends for it!! right?
i know that if i had some flaming or ice weapon i could deal all my dmg with no resists, but that sneak att. ongoing dmg will also be fire or ice, from the weapon ench. effect?

share your wisdom plz ,  thanx

Bloodbath Rogue Attack 5
Daily. Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be Wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and ongoing damage equal to any Sneak Attack damage you deal with this attack (save ends).
Effect: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Well, none of the level 14 demons in the Compendium have the ability to become resistant to either physical or radiant damage, so it shouldn't matter.

If it were possible, though, the resistance would apply to every instance of the appropriate damage, whether from attacks or ongoing.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
hey all,
just wona ask about dmg resistance of an enemy.  just fought a 14lvl evil demon thing that had the "15 resistance 2/encounter". so DM choose physical dmg and radiant dmg(damn him, we had no caster). anyway, when you restist 15 physical dmg, how does this realy works? its from all sources? its -15 dmg per attack that hits you? its 15 dmg resist pert round?..

i have a tiny rogue that tryied to use bloodbath power on that evil demon. my sneak attack was 9 dmg. so those 9 dmg are going to be 9 ongoing dmg! will that be resisted every time by his 15 physical resist, until save ends? doesnt speciafy the type of bloodbath ongoing dmg but im guessing its bleeding, so physical. if that demon can resist my 9 ongoing every time, he doesnt realy care roll a save ends for it!! right?
i know that if i had some flaming or ice weapon i could deal all my dmg with no resists, but that sneak att. ongoing dmg will also be fire or ice, from the weapon ench. effect?

share your wisdom plz ,  thanx

Bloodbath Rogue Attack 5
Daily. Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be Wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and ongoing damage equal to any Sneak Attack damage you deal with this attack (save ends).
Effect: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

Before anything, read the following entry from Monster Manual:

Variable Resistance: As a free action, the monster chooses a type of damage from the following list: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. The monster gains the specified amount of resistance to the chosen damage type for the rest of the encounter, and this replaces any resistance the monster already had against that damage type. This is anencounter power unless otherwise noted. If a monster can use this ability more than once per encounter, it can resist only one type of damage from this ability at any one time. A monster can’t use this ability to resist a damage type to which it has vulnerability.

What your DM did was not part of even the original rules on Variable Resistance, but given that it's likely his rules in his game, I won't bother with that.

However, physical or untyped damage is a type of damage that is dealt when there is no type specified[1], which means he is only resistant to damage that has no type specified, so any attack that was Fire, Cold, Thunder, etc. -- any attack that didn't deal untyped or radiant damage -- passed through effortlessly.  For an opponent to resist all damage (including untyped damage), the opponent has to have resistance to all damage, also known as resist all (sometimes denoted as "resist (all)").

Actually, there are several debates going on regarding the very nature of resist all or resistance to all damage, because apparently the very idea that there is a resistance that works on all types of damage seems absurd and overpowered (for some).

Now with regards to your question:

1. If a target has resist 10 (physical/untyped), then only physical/untyped damage will be resisted.
2. Since your Bloodbath power inflicts ongoing damage (no type specified, thus untyped/physical) equal to your sneak attack, you would need to have a sneak attack of 11 or 12 in order to deal enough ongoing damage to bypass resist 10 untyped.
3. Flaming/Ice weapons change the damage type of attacks made through them into their appropriate damage type (fire/cold) but even if your Sneak Attack initially was, let's say, 9 extra cold damage, the ongoing damage is still untyped/physical because the power only adds ongoing damage equal to your Sneak Attack, it does not convert your now-fire/cold element Sneak Attack into ongoing damage of the same type, just ongoing damage (no type specified).

Personally though, I'd say your DM was screwing with you guys for some reason, but that's just me *shrugs*

[1]Rules Compendium, p.114 
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
ok, 1st of all we try to play by the book, with no houserules. i think our DM this time made a mistake, didnt try to screw with us.!
the demon was from monster man.2.:
Abyssal Eviscerator
Medium elemental humanoid (demon)
Level 14 Brute
XP 1,000
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +9
HP 173; Bloodied 86
AC 26; Fortitude 28, Reflex 2S, Will 24
Resist 15 variable (2/encounter)
Speed 6
© Claw (standard; at-will)
+17 vs. AC; 2d10 + 6 damage.
© Crab (standard; at-will)
+15 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 6 damage, and the target is grabbed.
© Eviscerating Talons (minor 1/round, 3/round while bloodied;
at-will)
Targets a creature grabbed by the abyssal eviscerator; no attack
roll; 6 damage.
Alignment Chaotic evil Languages Abyssal
Skills Athletics+18
Str 23 (+13)   Dex 17 (+10)  Wis 15 (+9)
Con 23 (+13)  Int 7 (+5)       Cha 11 (+7

_and i dont think the DM knew that he must choose one of the 4 types of dmg to resist. 2 in this occation, but not on the same time! he choose as i said physical and radiant. im guessing he couldnt done that, by the rules.?!
4 heroes of 8-9 lvls, trying to bypass this 15 dmg resist was a bit of impossible. the battle was long and some crits didt the job eventually. alongside with alots of misses(huge bad luck on dice).
next time we play, we gona have a loud talk !!! and some xp bonus arrangements!

thanx
Variable Resistance has its own entry, Monster Manual 2 pg 219.

variable resistance

A creature that has variable resistance can activate it a specified number of times per encounter as a free action. When the creature activates variable resistance, it chooses a damage type: acid, cold, fire, ightning, or thunder. (The creature can’t choose a damage type to which it is vulnerable.) Until the end of the encounter, the creature gains a specified amount of resistance to that damage type. This resistance replaces any resistance the creature already had against that damage type.

If a creature can activate variable resistance more than once per encounter, the creature can resist only one damage type at a time using variable resistance. See also resist.

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
ok, 1st of all we try to play by the book, with no houserules. i think our DM this time made a mistake, didnt try to screw with us.!
the demon was from monster man.2.:
Abyssal Eviscerator
Medium elemental humanoid (demon)
Level 14 Brute
XP 1,000
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +9
HP 173; Bloodied 86
AC 26; Fortitude 28, Reflex 2S, Will 24
Resist 15 variable (2/encounter)
Speed 6
© Claw (standard; at-will)
+17 vs. AC; 2d10 + 6 damage.
© Crab (standard; at-will)
+15 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 6 damage, and the target is grabbed.
© Eviscerating Talons (minor 1/round, 3/round while bloodied;
at-will)
Targets a creature grabbed by the abyssal eviscerator; no attack
roll; 6 damage.
Alignment Chaotic evil Languages Abyssal
Skills Athletics+18
Str 23 (+13)   Dex 17 (+10)  Wis 15 (+9)
Con 23 (+13)  Int 7 (+5)       Cha 11 (+7

_and i dont think the DM knew that he must choose one of the 4 types of dmg to resist. 2 in this occation, but not on the same time! he choose as i said physical and radiant. im guessing he couldnt done that, by the rules.?!
4 heroes of 8-9 lvls, trying to bypass this 15 dmg resist was a bit of impossible. the battle was long and some crits didt the job eventually. alongside with alots of misses(huge bad luck on dice).
next time we play, we gona have a loud talk !!! and some xp bonus arrangements!

thanx

My money is on mistake.  I knew that there was something called "variable resist," but didn't know it was restricted only to those five types.  I would have certainly thought necrotic/radiant would have been in there.

So, yeah, if the DM MEANT to go by the rules, he probably made an "oops".

I would NOT recommend a "loud talk".  What I WOULD recommend is e-mailing your DM with the exact wording of the rules and ask him, in private "hey, did you know this?  Because WE made a mistake with it."

Don't be accusatory or negative to your DM.  They're stressed out enough as it is without the players jumping down his throat at what may have been a simple, honest mistake.  That's the type of thing that can plant the seeds that cause DM frustration and burnout.  If he says "oh, oops", you can gently and jokingly ask for some bonus XP or treasure, but don't demand it.

If he says "yeah, I know, but I ran it that way to challenge you," well, at least he's honest  
Salla, on minions: I typically use them as encounter filler. 'I didn't quite fill out the XP budget, not enough room left for a decent near-level monster ... sprinkle in a few minions'. Kind of like monster styrofoam packing peanuts.
The creature can't choose "untyped" damage - it can only choose a damage type. As noted above, radiant is not one of the eligible types.

It also replaces the last type chosen if used a second time, so it can't be resistant to two types at once (at least not via the use of this power).