Shield Push Clarification

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm sure this has been asked, and I found several threads that touched on my question, but no definitive answers.  So, apologies in advance....

If an opponent marked by me attacks a target besides me and I hit him with my Combat Challenge, then I can use my Shield Push to push him 1 square.  If I push the opponent out of range to complete the attack, does he lose the standard action?

I can see it interpreted 2 different ways.

First - I push him, he is no longer in range, he loses his Standard Action because he was unable to complete it.  He can use any other remaining actions, but may not attack because his Standard Action was used, and interupted, by me.

Second - I push him, he is no longer in range, but he keeps his stanard action since I interupted it before he could complete it.  In this case, assuming he has a move action left, he can move and perform his standard action and I have nothing to prevent this 2nd attempt.

thanks
I'm sure this has been asked, and I found several threads that touched on my question, but no definitive answers.  So, apologies in advance....

If an opponent marked by me attacks a target besides me and I hit him with my Combat Challenge, then I can use my Shield Push to push him 1 square.  If I push the opponent out of range to complete the attack, does he lose the standard action?

I can see it interpreted 2 different ways.

First - I push him, he is no longer in range, he loses his Standard Action because he was unable to complete it.  He can use any other remaining actions, but may not attack because his Standard Action was used, and interupted, by me.

Second - I push him, he is no longer in range, but he keeps his stanard action since I interupted it before he could complete it.  In this case, assuming he has a move action left, he can move and perform his standard action and I have nothing to prevent this 2nd attempt.

thanks

Interrupts An immediate interrupt jumps in when its trigger occurs, taking place before the trigger finishes. If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action the triggering action is lost.
Example: An enemy makes a melee attack against Keira the rogue, but Keira uses a a power that lets her shift away as an immediate interrupt. If the enemy can no longer reach her, its attack action is lost. Similarly, Albanon the wizard might use shield in response to being hit and turn that hit into a miss, or Keira might use the immediate interrupt heroic escape to evade an enemy's attack before it can deal damage.

Source: Rules Compendium, p. 195

EDIT: To put it straightforward, it's your First interpretation, because if you push the target away before he completes his action, and he cannot continue the attack because he is too far, his action is lost. 
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Sign In to post comments