[WoA] 4th Board Game?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

I hope the subject line didn't get anyone unduley excited..

I wanted to ask, does anyone have any ideas for what a 4th DnD Board game can be? What other themes could provide an awesome game theme? I think the current 3 are great, especially going for it and doing a Drizzt one.

Share your thoughts and ideas! You never know who may be reading!

I was a big fan of the giant series in the AD&D line of games that eventually led to the Queen of the Demonweb Pits.  If memory serves, there was a Drow line in between them too.

Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, Hall of the Fire Giant King, would make for a nice 3 game set.  Laughing
I was a big fan of the giant series in the AD&D line of games that eventually led to the Queen of the Demonweb Pits.  If memory serves, there was a Drow line in between them too.

Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, Hall of the Fire Giant King, would make for a nice 3 game set. 

Those are cool. I like Jarl.. yeah a snow theme could be cool too. Yeah, the Giant theme is something that could be fun/cool!

Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl, Hall of the Fire Giant King, would make for a nice 3 game set. 

Even a single "all giants" game to encompass the whole series would be fun. (I'm not sure that folks would buy three $50-$60 Giants boxed sets...)

The original module sequence of monochrome modules from the 1970's:
G1, G2, G3 were the Giants modules
D1, D2, D3 were the Drow modules
Q1 was Queen of the Demonweb Pits (this was a later add-on and not one of the orginals)

I tried to run all seven modules as a "mega campaign" but my players stalled out somewhere in the D-series.
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Even a single "all giants" game to encompass the whole series would be fun. (I'm not sure that folks would buy three $50-$60 Giants boxed sets...)

The original module sequence of monochrome modules from the 1970's:
G1, G2, G3 were the Giants modules
D1, D2, D3 were the Drow modules
Q1 was Queen of the Demonweb Pits (this was a later add-on and not one of the orginals)

I tried to run all seven modules as a "mega campaign" but my players stalled out somewhere in the D-series.

True but some type of an expansion series would also work, so the cost is around 50-60 for all 3.  It doesn't need to be a big box thing.

Agreed! Not only would a Giants expansion be fun, but I'll bet there are other classic modules and/or monsters that could be re-worked into board game expansions.

* What about the Illithids? They could be fun!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
Heck, evewn the "U" series where it had underwater settings, could bring in a whole new genre of traps and encounters.

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Danger at Dunwater
The Final Enemy   

There were many cool modules back in the day, I don't think too many would be flops.  
Unfortunately it looks like we won't be getting any further games in this line.  Wizards made the announcement at GenCon that they are exploring other board game options for 2012, including Lords of Waterdeep (which I recently got a chance to check out at a trade show, very cool!) and perhaps more in the vein of Conquest of Nerath.

I'm just a dude that listens to their announcements and don't have any insider information, but they were pretty plain in their news.  Didn't make me happy, but I understand the decision.

On the upside, there are several tools out there that can be used to generate new Hero, Villain and Monster cards.  I recently downloaded a few of them (bear in mind that several require the use of GIMP or Photoshop for layer manipulation) and really like the idea.

Wallachia has posted several new Villain and adventure concepts that would be cool to explore!

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

Unfortunately it looks like we won't be getting any further games in this line.  Wizards made the announcement at GenCon that they are exploring other board game options for 2012, including Lords of Waterdeep (which I recently got a chance to check out at a trade show, very cool!) and perhaps more in the vein of Conquest of Nerath.

I'm just a dude that listens to their announcements and don't have any insider information, but they were pretty plain in their news.  Didn't make me happy, but I understand the decision.

On the upside, there are several tools out there that can be used to generate new Hero, Villain and Monster cards.  I recently downloaded a few of them (bear in mind that several require the use of GIMP or Photoshop for layer manipulation) and really like the idea.

Wallachia has posted several new Villain and adventure concepts that would be cool to explore!

Thanks for the info and advice for how we can take things further on our own, warfteiner.. cool!

And I like Bobymon's creepy water/swamp module ideas..
So if they don't follow this line of gmes anymore it'll be highly dissapointing, I mean, maybe not do another full game, but maybe official packages of heroes, rules expansions, etc. some support for it, it`s what I mean. Otherwise I'll feel a little on the "ok, we got your money now get out of here kid, you are bothering" side.
It's true about the current options available. The stuff made at board game geek by fans it's awesome. Ive even created some custom heroes of my own. It would have been nice to think this might have been going places anyhow.
I'm not too surpised that the third game will be the last.  There are only so many scenarios/adventures you can create with one set of game mechanics before they start to get pretty repetitive.  These games are so good they will be played for years!

Also keep in mind that the rules are heavily based off of D&D 4E RPG.  I'm thinking that 4E has a limited life as well.  So it was inevitable that the board games would come to an end at some point.  Perhaps to be resurrected in the future under a new system?   
I'm not too surpised that the third game will be the last.  There are only so many scenarios/adventures you can create with one set of game mechanics before they start to get pretty repetitive.  These games are so good they will be played for years!

Also keep in mind that the rules are heavily based off of D&D 4E RPG.  I'm thinking that 4E has a limited life as well.  So it was inevitable that the board games would come to an end at some point.  Perhaps to be resurrected in the future under a new system?   

But I'm lazy, and I like their adventures, new monsters, art, etc.. haha
I'm not too surpised that the third game will be the last.  There are only so many scenarios/adventures you can create with one set of game mechanics before they start to get pretty repetitive. 

But remember that it's not just the scenarios that are interesting. I like the fact that the games have miniatures and I like the pre-gen characters with custom-made cards, etc.

I'd love to see an expansion with additional monsters and characters, even without new scenarios. I'd love to see an expansion for levels higher than 2nd. I think there are so many potential directions they could take this game line!

And I know that I could just play 4E, but I like the simpler mechanics in the boardgame line.
I'm not too surpised that the third game will be the last.  There are only so many scenarios/adventures you can create with one set of game mechanics before they start to get pretty repetitive. 

But remember that it's not just the scenarios that are interesting. I like the fact that the games have miniatures and I like the pre-gen characters with custom-made cards, etc.

I'd love to see an expansion with additional monsters and characters, even without new scenarios. I'd love to see an expansion for levels higher than 2nd. I think there are so many potential directions they could take this game line!

And I know that I could just play 4E, but I like the simpler mechanics in the boardgame line.

TOTALLY spot on what I think too..
I just recently purchased both the Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon Board Games and am looking forward to the Legend of Drizzt.  With that said I personally think that a Dragonlance Board Game would be a lot of fun and very popular.  Agree or disagree?

I read an interview with Peter Lee and he mentions a personal interest of him (concerning a new expansion).   I would get the new one for sure!

diehardgamefan.com/2011/10/13/interview-...

I hope they come up with more. I've barely scratched the surface on WoA but my kids and I are having a blast playing. I just started painting the mini's.
I hope they come up with more. I've barely scratched the surface on WoA but my kids and I are having a blast playing. I just started painting the mini's.

A great point. These games are particularly good for playing with kids. The minis make it so visual, the simplified rules make it easy for them to remember.
Yeah. I myself haven't played pencil and paper D and D since the bid eighties, but those are some of my best memories with my friends from my youth. I originally bought this for my wife and I, but the kids have taken to it more than her. My 4 year old son always adds the sound effects and animates the mini's by having them fall over or fly in the air when they get hit.. It cracks me up.

These boardgames could be a great way to get new players into D and D. I know it has me wanting to check out the 4th edition books.
Yeah. I myself haven't played pencil and paper D and D since the bid eighties, but those are some of my best memories with my friends from my youth. I originally bought this for my wife and I, but the kids have taken to it more than her. My 4 year old son always adds the sound effects and animates the mini's by having them fall over or fly in the air when they get hit.. It cracks me up.

These boardgames could be a great way to get new players into D and D. I know it has me wanting to check out the 4th edition books.

Speaking as someone who fell in love with D&D the basic set in the early 80's in junior high, this game series would absolutely have blown me away.  It is, if nothing else, a gateway platform to becoming a D&D'er.  It introduces so much that it just has to be supported, and once in a while a throwback for some of us "older heads", an expansion would be nice, suited to some of the awesome content that made this series possible.

Heck, everyting else we deal with on a daily basis is in some part "retro", why not this game? 
Ahhhh, the red box, popped my cherry on that thing...the memories. A kid a couple blocks down the road introduced me to that...I knew instantly it was going to be a huge part of my freetime.

I also use to play the Boardgame "Dungeon", in fact we played it until it was wore out...lol. Kind of reminds me of the current D&D boardgames, just less flashy.

I plan on stepping up the experience for the kids when they get a but older. I told my wife I will be playing the full version if D&D with kids before to long. Can't wait to do a little Dungeon Mastering again.