Modern Turbo-Fog

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am unsure if the deck concept is even viable, but as the two top decks left after the banning win by turning creatures sideways for combat damage, I thought a Turbo-Fog deck might just be a budget deck to get into this meta (budget, hence no Temple Garden).  I know the sideboard would have to be fairly transformative, mostly because the deck would have to be able to deal with rogue combo decks, but that’s one of the things I’m hoping to get some help with from the community.

My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
The reason I shied away from the B/W version is that I was worried about Spiteful Visions possibly killing me.  I know that Runed Halo is supposed to help with that, but I was still worried about playing one without the other.

Is there a reason for no Isochron Scepter?
Martyr seems to be there to stabilize your life total for your own Spiteful Visions, not for enemy agression. Runed Halo is for other things as far as I know. I'd be tempted to run a U/W list.
Photobucket
zpidkuM is right. Martyr is used for stabilizing your life against Spiteful Visions as well as to slow down enemy aggression. Runed Halo is like the utility knife of the deck even. It saves you from multiple things and can even save you from your own Spiteful Visions if necessary. Isochron Scepter isn't needed, which is why I don't have it. In addition, it adds another vulnerability to your deck that can be exploited if you are dependent on it. I've learned this from playing the deck. Chronomantic Escape sorta does that job except it keeps creatures from attacking instead of preventing damage. The fact that it resuspends every time it is cast can make it so that your opponent never gets an attack step. Chaining these was quite common for me back when I played the deck in standard and it usually angered several aggro players. I placed really well at FNMs where Faeries weren't running rampant on that particular night. If you know how to play well it even held its own against 5 color control. U based would give it fits though which is why my sideboard at the time changed the deck drastically. 

I've actually run a W/u list before during TS/Low block. The list would probabaly look like this if it was updated

Lands: 23
3 Mistveil Plains
2 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
4 Glacial Fortress
9 Plains
5 Island

Turbo: 8
4 Howling Mine
4 Temple Bell

Creatures:4
4 Martyr of Sands

Fog: 15
4 Dawn Charm
4 Pollen Lullaby
4 Cryptic Command
3 Wrath of God

Enchantments: 8
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Story Circle
2 Teferi's Moat
2 Runed Halo

Tutor: 2
2 Idyllic Tutor

Granted the W/u list is still a bit rough, and it's quite easy to try and make it U/W control.
My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
Alright, that make sense.  I guess my next question is, is Mistveil Plains enough to prevent decking yourself?  Although in the B/W version I guess that isn't a problem.
Mistveil plains was enough. But as mentioned before, the decking wasn't a problem unless the opponent ran something like Forced Fruition.
Alrighty, time for some testing...